Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default [SOLVED]Midi devices that do not appear in the choice of track inputs

Hi Everyone,

I am used in Windows to see my midi interfaces (pad, keyboard, midi interface) in the choices offered by reaper, at the track input choice. And I can even choose which midi channel I want to use.

I am trying to get the same hardware to work but with reaper under linux (Librazik3 based on Debian buster).

When I go to qjackctl, I can see the peripherals connected to the sound card, for example. It does not seem to me that there is a problem there.

When I go to reaper preferences, midi device, I see the devices well and I activate them for data entry and control. So far so good.

On the other hand, when I want to go and select, in the track input choice, which midi device I want to use and on which channel, I don't see them.

Do you think I am the one doing a wrong manipulation or is this part not implemented in reaper for linux in native version?

Thanking you in advance.

Last edited by 103131; 07-25-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: [SOLVED]
103131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
solger

Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103131 View Post
On the other hand, when I want to go and select, in the track input choice, which midi device I want to use and on which channel, I don't see them.
Try accessing the Input options via Right-Click on the Track Record Arm Button.

My guess is that you're perhaps only seeing the Record Mode options (https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....6&d=1580349885) - which is a different menu.
And that the input selector is currently hidden because the Track Panel is either too small or due to the selected Layout.

The same applies for the mixer panel: the mixer height might be too small to display all elements. Or the selected Layout doesn't have an input selector.

--------------------------------

General side notes:

By default, Track Panel Layout A only shows the Input Selector when the track is armed.
Changing the Track Panel to Layout B (which displays more elements by default) can be done via Options > Layouts > Track Panel.

Some info about the Reaper 6 Theme is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LTBlNzmhA

Last edited by solger; 07-25-2020 at 02:54 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
sub26nico

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I am used in Windows to see my midi interfaces (pad, keyboard, midi interface) in the choices offered by reaper, at the track input choice. And I can even choose which midi channel I want to use.

I am trying to get the same hardware to work but with reaper under linux (Librazik3 based on Debian buster).

When I go to qjackctl, I can see the peripherals connected to the sound card, for example. It does not seem to me that there is a problem there.

When I go to reaper preferences, midi device, I see the devices well and I activate them for data entry and control. So far so good.

Do you think I am the one doing a wrong manipulation or is this part not implemented in reaper for linux in native version?

Thanking you in advance.
Are you using JACK as audio backend ?
If yes, maybe your MIDI hardware is recognize by ALSA but not by JACK, then you need to bridge it using :
Code:
a2j -e
Then start Reaper and the MIDI device should appears in the list.
LibraZiK come with Cadence, another app for JACK settings (as Qjackctl) but with more options to launch the bridge between ALSA MIDI and JACK MIDI), my advice is to use Cadence instead of QjackCtl (wich is fine btw).
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #4

Default Midi devices that do not appear in the choice of track inputs [SOLVED]

Hi everyone,

Solger: I was actually looking at the wrong place. I just tried it out by following what you explain to me and it works very well. I tested with a small midi interface on which I connect a pad. And there I can see the pad well and when I hit it, I have the vu-meters which take off in Repear. Thank you very much.

Sub26nico: I am more in favor of not touching what works. Since it works like this, I prefer to leave it as it is without using Cadence. Nevertheless, I keep your suggestion in mind and thank you for it. I may need to use Cadence later.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
GoNzU88

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

Try accessing the Input options via Right-Click on the Track Record Arm Button.

My guess is that you're perhaps only seeing the Record Mode options (https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....6&d=1580349885) - which is a different menu.
And that the input selector is currently hidden because the Track Panel is either too small or due to the selected Layout.

The same applies for the mixer panel: the mixer height might be too small to display all elements. Or the selected Layout doesn't have an input selector.

--------------------------------

General side notes:

By default, Track Panel Layout A only shows the Input Selector when the track is armed.
Changing the Track Panel to Layout B (which displays more elements by default) can be done via Options > Layouts > Track Panel.

Some info about the Reaper 6 Theme is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LTBlNzmhA
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Solger: I was actually looking at the wrong place. I just tried it out by following what you explain to me and it works very well. I tested with a small midi interface on which I connect a pad. And there I can see the pad well and when I hit it, I have the vu-meters which take off in Repear. Thank you very much.

Sub26nico: I am more in favor of not touching what works. Since it works like this, I prefer to leave it as it is without using Cadence. Nevertheless, I keep your suggestion in mind and thank you for it. I may need to use Cadence later.
The thread marks solved, do you still have problems with what your partner has put you?
GoNzU88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

Hi everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNzU88 View Post
The thread marks solved, do you still have problems with what your partner has put you?
I don't understand why you ask me this question.

I said that I was wrong. I didn't look at the right place. Now I look at the right place as Solger explained me and it works.

Am I more clear? :-)