Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default Demo - Mastering w/a Reference Song in REAPER using free VSTs

Greetings.

This is my very first REAPER tutorial video. I used a free software called SHARE X, so I hope it comes out ok?

Anyway, I just finished mixing a song and well... It came out very muddy and I just couldn't seem to get 'unstuck' (pun intended). I've been reading in this forum why using a reference song can be useful AND how we should check the low end as well as the MID vs SIDEs.

I had put these recommendations off until yesterday when I remembered that TBProAudio recently released ISOL8. Well, now was the time to test out a few ideas!

Keep in mind that I'm just an amateur and there are many ways to this sort of referencing and mastering (note: it should really just be called pseudo-mastering). And, yes yes, I know I should really go back to the mix to fix things, not deal with the problems on the master track. I plan to do that, but this video is a demo to show some strategies in real time.

In reality I used many songs for the purpose, but in this video I only compare my song to one commercial mix (Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - What I Am). I like that song and it seems to be a good fit for my song.

I only used three free VST plugins: TDR Nova, ISOL8 and BaxterEQ (for dealing with MID and SIDE).

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
http://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio... https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJRXIZ2QUMw

I hope my instructions were clear. If not let me know. Hey, also please share any insights on how this could of been done differently/better? Note: I think in my example I didn't really need to the routing I did, but it was useful for some other stuff I didn't show in the video.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
cymbals
Human being with feelings

Another alternative is to use the free Spectrum Matching plugin here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186554
cymbals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbals View Post
Another alternative is to use the free Spectrum Matching plugin here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186554
TDR Nova is a parallel dynamic equalizer so it not only reduces the gain at a given frequency, like a regular EQ does, but it also compresses that frequency region (according to the curve detection area - I think). It make a difference when a track has some loud EQ peaks that need taming, while the softer bits don't need as much treatment. To do this with a regular EQ plugin you would need to 'ride' or automate with the envelop, assuming you could locate all the frequency peaks and their relative loudness. In other words, an EQ-matching plugin is more static; one curve fits all - while a parallel dynamic equalizer like TDR Nova is dynamic in time as the song unfolds.

I've tried various EQ matching plugins and sometimes they give me very daring/extraordinary EQ boosts (things I would never do normally with EQ). I use them to experiment and see what they suggest, but never actually feel comfortable sticking them in a final mix. I could, I just don't?!

Also, and the analogy might not be perfect, but there's something enjoyable in using my ears to figure out how to shape an audio signal. Perhaps in the same way that I prefer growing my own vegetables in the garden rather than buying them at the grocery store. It's a personal thing. It's fun doing it.

I actually don't mind stumbling, falling, and learning from all the silly mixing and mastering mistakes. This is why I would never use something like LANDR (i.e. an Instant Online Audio Mastering Software). I don't really enjoy producing sub-par audio songs that may sound terrible, but I enjoy the process of mixing and mastering. Well, sometimes a bit frustrating...
Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I hope my instructions were clear. If not let me know. Hey, also please share any insights on how this could of been done differently/better? Note: I think in my example I didn't really need to the routing I did, but it was useful for some other stuff I didn't show in the video.
Hi RDBOIS, I watched about 30% or so, but stopped because you were switching around a lot without
explaining what you were doing or listening for, and I didn't have a clue what you were trying to do?

Maybe it's just me, but you seem to assume things are obvious when they are not, at least to me, and
I think some dialog would help a lot. I do like some of your ideas here though, and you've in turn given
me some ideas, so thankyou.

Also, I noticed you were switching the different mutes on and off, if you grouped them it would make it
much easier, then you only have to click on one of them to make the change.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi RDBOIS, I watched about 30% or so, but stopped because you were switching around a lot without
explaining what you were doing or listening for, and I didn't have a clue what you were trying to do?

Maybe it's just me, but you seem to assume things are obvious when they are not, at least to me, and
I think some dialog would help a lot. I do like some of your ideas here though, and you've in turn given
me some ideas, so thankyou.

Also, I noticed you were switching the different mutes on and off, if you grouped them it would make it
much easier, then you only have to click on one of them to make the change.
Good tip! I normally group to ease the on-off mute between two tracks. Didn't do it here because I wanted people to see the mouse click action.

Yeah, I'm certainly not going to win the award for "The Most Comprehensive Reaper Tutorial". LOL

I debated whether or not I should add a dialogue, but for some reason the "no need to ramble on" won the debate
Old 12-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I've tried various EQ matching plugins and sometimes they give me very daring/extraordinary EQ boosts (things I would never do normally with EQ). I use them to experiment and see what they suggest, but never actually feel comfortable sticking them in a final mix. I could, I just don't?!
I blend it with the original by adjusting the wetness parameter in Reaper. 50-75% wet works well for me.
cymbals is offline   Reply With Quote