COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 03-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default Ableton Live overwrites Factory Presets?

I just discovered a strange thing in Ableton Live. If I load a factory preset (built in the constructor with "MakePresetFromNamedParams") and then change any parameter setting, Ableton SAVES those changes to the preset. The next time I load that preset it does not load the factory settings, it loads the modified settings but with the factory preset name.

Ableton is the only DAW I have seen do this. Maybe this is common knowledge - but how is this happening? I thought Presets were "read only". Is there a way to prevent modification to the factory presets?

BTW - this only occurs with the plugin in-session and is also saved in the project. Reloading the plugin restores the original factory presets.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 03-04-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
nofish

Hm..I thought this is common VST(? not sure about other formats) behaviour.
E.g. I did this in Reaper, behaving exactly the same, or am I misunderstanding?

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:55 PM   #3
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hm..I thought this is common VST(? not sure about other formats) behaviour.
E.g. I did this in Reaper, behaving exactly the same, or am I misunderstanding?
Hmm - this appears to be a difference between VST2 and VST3 that I never noticed before.

Also in Reaper I found:
1) VST2 - Changing settings after loading a preset saves the changes to the preset.

2) VST3 - changing settings after loading a preset does NOT save the changes to the preset.

Now, I couldn't test this difference in Ableton Live 10 because it appears it does not support VST3 "baked in" presets at all - only supported in VST2 versions. Wavelab 10 does not show VST3 hard-coded presets either (I reported that to PG at Steinberg and he said he would fix it in 10.0.30). Cubase 10 DOES support it. Go figure!

Last edited by Nonlinear; 03-04-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
2) VST3 - changing settings after loading a preset does NOT save the changes to the preset.
Not sure if/how relevant this is here, but note that in iPlug1 at least there seemed to be a bug related to "baked in" VST3 presets (see schwa's post #7):
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221527

(I don't know if it was changed/fixed in iPlug1 at some point and if it's the same in iPlug2 as I didn't follow development closely afterwards.)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Not sure if/how relevant this is here, but note that in iPlug1 at least there seemed to be a bug related to "baked in" VST3 presets (see schwa's post #7):
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221527

(I don't know if it was changed/fixed in iPlug1 at some point and if it's the same in iPlug2 as I didn't follow development closely afterwards.)
LOL - that is actually one of my posts way back - but a slightly different subject.

What I am seeing/addressing in this thread turned out to be about how DAWs support (or don’t support) VST2 and VST3 hard-coded presets. Mostly an “FYI” that I am now aware of and maybe for others here who also didn’t know. Anyhow, I learned something! Thank you.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 03-05-2020 at 01:22 PM.