Old 05-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #41
phunkyg
Human being with feelings

Welcome to @locostudios, glad to have you onboard. Hopefully we can get you up and running with your 2 adapter config.

For all the Pro Control folks:

I got around to doing a lot more on the refactoring part, in fact I got all the way through rewriting in that branch and have pushed it out.

It isn't tested AT ALL right now!

But if you fancy taking a look, please help yourself.

So, a bit of the thinking:

When I first started making changes for 'other devices' the main impediment was not being able to detect the devices and have the right client be linked up. It made sense to change to this happening automatically and this simplified the launch process too (having 1 terminal not 2).

When it came to the client, to get going, I just copied the old control24 OSC code and duplicated it. This meant I could start making some changes without 'breaking' the old code.

As it turns out, I stumbled into a bunch of mess I had created by making changes for control24 and these new ones, all at the same time. Nice new features like switching the scribble displays, toggle buttons and such all went away.

Also, there was a ton of code being duplicated between the 2 OSC files which was needing a lot of double-changes everywhere.

So, the refactoring means to solve this by:

* Having OSC classes that are generic to all devices, with all recent changes from both branches - now all in the control24common.py file (this will get renamed shortly!)
* Having specific child OSC classes where a particular device needs something specific - now all in the control24osc.py or procotrolosc.py files accordingly
* Each OSC 'desk' class now can build out device model accordingly. At the moment I haven't changed much other than the 8 channels vs 24 channels thing, but there is now the 'right' place to do this

This should allow a lot more tidiness and flexibility to allow a build-out for Pro Control and Control 24 alike.

Next steps will be:

* Map file and Code for the new Pro Control map built out by lazloos
* Build the Pro Control desk model for the multiple scribble strips, dsp sections
* Do the OSC map for Pro Control to start sending plugin settings to DSP etc.
* Change to a 'common' OSC schema (the addresses that are used) to keep moving away from having 'control24' and 'c24' everywhere - this will also allow more OSC classes to be common as often only the addresses differ!
* Test the hell out of it. I will try to get more unit tests together using the emulator, but for 'real' testing I'm reliant on folks who actually possess a device!

Thanks for bearing with and staying tuned!
phunkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #42
phunkyg

Default Calling all testers

This branch:

DEV_OtherDevices_Refactor

...now contains the latest breaking version.
I've made all the refactoring changes and put it through some local testing.

@lazloos, @locostudios, @MixR - could you guys give this one a good old going over now?

This should open the door to a lot of stuff as I have fixed up an issue that prevents having multiple /@/ tokens in the OSC addresses. This might let us get those scribble strips working on all those FX goodies.

Feedback here or github issues as normal!
Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #43
Lazloos

awesome work @phunkyg !!! I will be happy to test it out ASAP! thanks so much for your hard work on this project. Really appreciated!
Lazloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #44
locostudios

Awesome! Tried it now (OtherDevices_Refactor), can't seem to start it properly, it just sits here:

Network Handler Started
Device detected: MAINUNIT 1.31 at 00 a0 7e a0 19 97
device session 1_thread_listener Pipe Listener waiting for first data from pid 870

Anyone else able to run it?
locostudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:16 AM   #45
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by locostudios View Post
Awesome! Tried it now (OtherDevices_Refactor), can't seem to start it properly, it just sits here:

Network Handler Started
Device detected: MAINUNIT 1.31 at 00 a0 7e a0 19 97
device session 1_thread_listener Pipe Listener waiting for first data from pid 870

Anyone else able to run it?
Did you update the Procontrol.ReaperOSC file to the latest version? I didn't and received a lot of error messages (D'Oh!)?

Here are my findings so far:
ProControl to Reaper (top to bottom)

1. Rec enable
  2. Ins/Send
  3. EQ In/Edit
  4. Dyn In/Edit
  5. Scribble Strip top [worked previously as temp display, name+dB]
  6. Pan/Send pot
  7. Pre/Post Assign/Mute
  8. Automation [worked previously]
  9. Select *
  10. Solo
  11. Mute
  12. Scribble Strip bottom
  13. Fader [worked previously]

Reaper to ProControl (top to bottom)
  1. Pan
  2. Rec enable
  3. Mute
  4. Solo
  5. Automation [worked previously]
  6. Track name [worked previously as temp display, name+dB]
  7. Select
  8. Fader [no dB value on scribble strip, worked previously]
* Track Select works differently to Reaper and ProControl default behaviour which is exclusive. Pressing Select on Track 1 selects Track 1. When selecting, say, Track 4 is added to the selection - this would be expected from shift-select.
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #46
Lazloos

I also tested it and yes, it doesn't work if you don't copy over the new Procontrol.ReaperOSC file for the new changes made by phunkyg

same results as MixR pretty much:

I definitely have communication both ways but there is some addressing and map issues.

the faders for me were at first one way from Reaper only to proC then I edited the ReaperOSC file to reflect then messages at the listen and it worked the other way but still one way

pans do not work also debug window says they're not in the map

gonna open up an issue on the github if mixR hasn't already.

unlike MixR though I have I have select working both ways.

still, solid work Phunkyg thanks!
Old 06-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #47
Lazloos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixR View Post
* Track Select works differently to Reaper and ProControl default behaviour which is exclusive. Pressing Select on Track 1 selects Track 1. When selecting, say, Track 4 is added to the selection - this would be expected from shift-select.
hey @ mixR this is how sedlect always worked for me with Reacontrol24
Old 06-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #48
nesgovoroff

Default Control 24 daemon issue

Hi guys,
First of all, I'd want to thank you for such a big advantage to have Control 24 up and running in Reaper. It just fantastic, thank you!

Secondly, I'm experiencing some issues with running daemon, and I'll be glad if someone could help me.
From time to time I've got this messages:

Exception in thread thread_listener:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/Users/nesgovoroff/Documents/CONTROL24/control24d.py", line 314, in run
self.session.listen_address, authkey=DEFAULTS.get('auth'))
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 132, in __init__
self._listener = SocketListener(address, family, backlog)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 256, in __init__
self._socket.bind(address)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 228, in meth
return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
error: [Errno 48] Address already in use

Desk detected: CNTRL|24 1.08 at 00 a0 7e a2 0f 7b

Could you tell me what's this and how can I resolve it?
The desk itself works with this, but as we know, we are afraid things we don't understand, so, I'm here
nesgovoroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #49
Lazloos

I believe I had this same issue.

what OS are you using? mac?

If this happens when you run the program close it and run it again the problem is a bug where the osc daemon doesn't close when you close ReControl.py and keeps running in the background. You can use the script kill.sh in the DEV_otherdevices branch (it is in the _refactor branch also) you have to make it executable though (sudo chmod +x kill.sh and run it by typing ./kill.sh (it needs sudo also)

see Phunkygs comment on git here:
https://github.com/phunkyg/ReaContro...ment-614115623

alternatively you can reboot your computer which also kills the process.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #50
phunkyg

Hey guys,

Awesome work on testing, thanks!
I'll be working my way through all this to see if I can find where I broke things.

Had a session with Disruptormon today back with the Control24. It is somewhat easier becausr we have the original release to compare to!.

We fixed vpots and Control24 scribbles, found a few issues specifically that Reaper OSC doesn't like the new /track/@ addresses, even though they are closer to defaults!

Sorry for the breakages, refactoring has disturbed a lot of things and I need to pick through fixing again.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #51
Lazloos

thank you Phunkyg!!

what is happening with the new track/@ addresses?

I was able to get it all working on my proC after making some changes to procontrolosc.py (same as what you did to control24osc.py) everything except auto mode but how the the command classes work confuses me.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:52 AM   #52
nesgovoroff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazloos View Post
I believe I had this same issue.

what OS are you using? mac?

If this happens when you run the program close it and run it again the problem is a bug where the osc daemon doesn't close when you close ReControl.py and keeps running in the background. You can use the script kill.sh in the DEV_otherdevices branch (it is in the _refactor branch also) you have to make it executable though (sudo chmod +x kill.sh and run it by typing ./kill.sh (it needs sudo also)

see Phunkygs comment on git here:
https://github.com/phunkyg/ReaContro...ment-614115623

alternatively you can reboot your computer which also kills the process.
Hi Lazloos, thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I'm using macOS Mojave.
Hmm, it make sense now, because restarting the machine helps for a short time.
I'll try kill.sh method.
Also, my thought was you could take me wrong, so, to clarify, I'm using Control 24 desk, not ProControl. I doesn't have ReControl or DEV_otherdevices thing, so if you could help me find it - I would be grateful.

Also, I couldn't make some buttons work, I'd like to patch it to some actions, but for some reason I can't to that in action list. How can I get this?
Old 06-07-2020, 02:23 AM   #53
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesgovoroff View Post
error: [Errno 48] Address already in use
I've logged a new issue for the quitting problem. We're all seeing it too and it means your 'address' will already 'be in use' because old processes are lying around that won't die.

issue
Old 06-07-2020, 02:27 AM   #54
phunkyg

Quote:
so, to clarify, I'm using Control 24 desk, not ProControl. I doesn't have ReControl or DEV_otherdevices thing, so if you could help me find it - I would be grateful.
Hey there.

For Control24 you have the choice of using the original 'stable' release in the 'Release' branch, or helping to test one of the newer branches that supports Pro Control and Control24.

On github, click the 'Branch' drop down list to choose which. You can download as many as you like and put them in different directories, run the one you want. You can also copy/link the OSC files into Reaper as different names to help you pick.

The new branches aren't very stable at the moment as there's been a lot of wide sweeping changes. But, if we can test it to the point of working as well as the original it offers many benefits.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:29 AM   #55
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazloos View Post
what is happening with the new track/@ addresses?
It's a good question!

Basically, the @ tokens are where reaper shoves an index into an OSC address to enumerate something. Track is the obvious one, but there are many of them and they are nested.

Have a look at the Default.OSC file that comes with Reaper and you'll see a number of examples.

I'm trying to move back to the original form where the @ follows the token that it is enumerating. This will allow us to get to the FX, Send and other nested tokens, then unpack them to the DSP section on the ProControl, or make them selectable for the Control24.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:24 AM   #56
nesgovoroff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkyg View Post
Hey there.

For Control24 you have the choice of using the original 'stable' release in the 'Release' branch, or helping to test one of the newer branches that supports Pro Control and Control24.

On github, click the 'Branch' drop down list to choose which. You can download as many as you like and put them in different directories, run the one you want. You can also copy/link the OSC files into Reaper as different names to help you pick.

The new branches aren't very stable at the moment as there's been a lot of wide sweeping changes. But, if we can test it to the point of working as well as the original it offers many benefits.
Hi Phunkyg, I'll try it, thank you!

Could you help me with advice about button mapping? For example, I'd like to get "Mix" button on the console opens a mixer in reaper. I have an action for this, but don't know exactly how can I map this button on it?
For some reason it didn't work.
Also, is there a chance that numeric keyboard and enter button will work as expected?

---EDITED
Okay, I was able to bind buttons to some actions. The problem was in "Allow binding messages to Reaper actions & FX learn" mark in OSC Prefrences. But as you describe earlier, it still a problem to make it work with only one tap (now it works like a two taps - press on and press off)

Last edited by nesgovoroff; 06-07-2020 at 07:22 AM. Reason: FOUND SOLUTION:
Old 06-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #57
phunkyg

Default Today was about Quitting

Quitting as in shutting down the program gracefully!

Anyone that's been testing lately will probably recognise Issue 17 - Can't quit

It is a pain to be sure, not being able to clean up gracefully, leaving ports used etc. is a real thorn in the side to use and test these releases.

So, I dedicated the time I had today to working out why this is. Fixes have gone into the DEV_OtherDevices_Refactor branch with all the other latest work.

Please give this a spin if you can!
Old 06-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #58
nesgovoroff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkyg View Post
Quitting as in shutting down the program gracefully!

Anyone that's been testing lately will probably recognise Issue 17 - Can't quit

It is a pain to be sure, not being able to clean up gracefully, leaving ports used etc. is a real thorn in the side to use and test these releases.

So, I dedicated the time I had today to working out why this is. Fixes have gone into the DEV_OtherDevices_Refactor branch with all the other latest work.

Please give this a spin if you can!
Hey phunkyg,
Nice to see that!
I'd like to give it a try, could you tell me, is there just one process file now? I mean could I use only reacontrol.py as daemon and skip running control24d and control24osc files?
Old 06-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #59
phunkyg

Quote:
could I use only reacontrol.py as daemon and skip running control24d and control24osc files?
Yeah that's how this new code works, you run just ReaControl.py and it controls the launch of the client processes according to which devices are found.

I'm hoping if I can get it working as well as the previous release then this will be the start of a new major version series.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #60
phunkyg

Messy error with the OSC part dying right away cleaned up in that new code. Apologies to lazloos and anyone else that tried it out to find no comms! Have another go.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #61
Matt Pinchin

Default Install problem

Hi first post here
I am trying to install Reacontrol24 on my windows 10 64bit pc by following the video tutorial. I have followed the instructions exaclty but when I try to run the command in CMD I am getting errors. I am running as administrator.
The output in CMD is as follows. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Found pcap headers in ..\wpdpack\include\pcap.h
Found libraries in ..\wpdpack\lib/x64\wpcap.lib
running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
creating pypcap.egg-info
writing pypcap.egg-info\PKG-INFO
writing dependency_links to pypcap.egg-info\dependency_links.txt
writing top-level names to pypcap.egg-info\top_level.txt
writing manifest file 'pypcap.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
reading manifest file 'pypcap.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
writing manifest file 'pypcap.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
installing library code to build\bdist.win-amd64\egg
running install_lib
running build_ext
building 'pcap' extension
creating build
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.8
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.8\Release
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\b in\HostX86\x64\cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /W3 /GL /DNDEBUG /MD -I..\wpdpack\include "-IC:\Program Files\Python38\include" "-IC:\Program Files\Python38\include" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\i nclude" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\ucrt" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\shared" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\um" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\winrt" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\cppwinrt" /Tcpcap.c /Fobuild\temp.win-amd64-3.8\Release\pcap.obj -DWIN32 -DWPCAP -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS
pcap.c
pcap.c(2619): warning C4996: 'PyObject_AsCharBuffer': deprecated in 3.0
pcap.c(19904): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(22848): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
C:\Program Files\Python38\include\cpython/pystate.h(51): note: see declaration of '_ts'
pcap.c(22849): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
C:\Program Files\Python38\include\cpython/pystate.h(51): note: see declaration of '_ts'
pcap.c(22850): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22857): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22858): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22859): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22860): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22861): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22862): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22907): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22908): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22909): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22910): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22911): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22912): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22962): warning C4020: 'function through pointer': too many actual parameters
pcap.c(24413): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24414): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24415): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24416): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24417): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24418): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(26219): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26219): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26239): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26240): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26244): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26246): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26246): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26253): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26255): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26255): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26262): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26264): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26264): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26284): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26287): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26294): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26295): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26296): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26300): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26302): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26302): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26309): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26311): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26311): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26318): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26320): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26320): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26327): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26329): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26329): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored

pcap.c(26408): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
error: command 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2019\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.26.2 8801\\bin\\HostX86\\x64\\cl.exe' failed with exit status 2
Matt Pinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #62
Matt Pinchin

bump!
Old 06-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #63
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pinchin View Post
error: command 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2019\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.26.2 8801\\bin\\HostX86\\x64\\cl.exe' failed with exit status 2
Hi

At first glance I can't see anything obvious.
This is the Microsoft compiler output. That error isn't very verbose!

I'll have a google
Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 AM   #64
phunkyg

OK having had a quick search around there is suggestion that python 2.7 support for c++ tops out after a certain version.

Is it possible that the instructions saying 'get the latest version of x' in Wi ndows install procedure has resulted in a combination where something is too new for something else?

Hoping windows folks can help me out here!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #65
Matt Pinchin

I could try an older version of python. I'm sure I must be able to download an earlier version.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #66
Matt Pinchin

OK,
So an older version of python seemed to work with compiling but now I have another issue.
Running python control24d.py throws up this

C:\Users\matt\Downloads\ReaControl24-master\ReaControl24-master>python control24d.py
File "control24d.py", line 28, in <module>
from dist import winpcapy
File "C:\Users\matt\Downloads\ReaControl24-master\ReaControl24-master\dist\winpcapy.py", line 29, in <module>
_lib=CDLL(find_library('pcap'))
File "C:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 366, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
TypeError: expected string or Unicode object, NoneType found
Old 06-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #67
phunkyg

Quote:
OK,
So an older version of python seemed to work with compiling but now I have another issue.
Running python control24d.py throws up this

C:\Users\matt\Downloads\ReaControl24-master\ReaControl24-master>python control24d.py
File "control24d.py", line 28, in <module>
from dist import winpcapy
File "C:\Users\matt\Downloads\ReaControl24-master\ReaControl24-master\dist\winpcapy.py", line 29, in <module>
_lib=CDLL(find_library('pcap'))
File "C:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 366, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
TypeError: expected string or Unicode object, NoneType found
Hey that's good news, I meant a lower version of the other windows dependencies but if it worked then great.

I think you've downloaded an old release? Make sure you're in the phunkyg fork and get the release branch.

https://github.com/phunkyg/ReaControl24

The zip on the releases page should work too, but I am wondering if that is a bit behind now, maybe best get it from the actual page. There's no build to worry about the release zips are just a zip of the source.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:50 AM   #68
Matt Pinchin

OK, The newer version has worked to a certain extent. I can control the control24 via reaper but I cannot control reaper via the control24.
This is the output from CMD
C:\Users\matt\Desktop\ReaControl24-1.1.3\ReaControl24-1.1.3>python control24d.py
MP Listener waiting for connection at ('192.168.1.244', 9123)
Desk detected: CNTRL|24 1.06 at 00 a0 7e a2 18 e4
MP Listener Received connection from ('192.168.1.244', 49905)
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 0
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 1
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 2
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 3
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 4
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 5
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 6
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 7
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 8
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 9
Waiting for DESK ACK 10
Waiting for DESK ACK 10
Old 06-26-2020, 03:53 AM   #69
Matt Pinchin

Output from the other CMD prompt shows nothing from control24osc.py
I know its something simple but cant put my finger on it.
If I click on "listen" in the control surface setting within reaper I get /print[*] "hello DAW"

Directory of C:\Users\matt\Desktop\ReaControl24-1.1.3\ReaControl24-1.1.3

26/06/2020 11:21 <DIR> .
26/06/2020 11:21 <DIR> ..
22/11/2018 01:46 1,177 .gitignore
22/11/2018 01:46 6,726 Control24.ReaperOSC
22/11/2018 01:46 8,536 control24common.py
26/06/2020 11:21 9,953 control24common.pyc
22/11/2018 01:46 24,905 control24d.py
22/11/2018 01:46 42,150 control24map.py
22/11/2018 01:46 57,364 control24osc.py
22/11/2018 01:46 32,473 COPYING.md
26/06/2020 11:15 <DIR> dist
26/06/2020 11:12 <DIR> doc
26/06/2020 11:14 <DIR> install
26/06/2020 11:21 <DIR> logs
22/11/2018 01:46 12,202 README.md
22/11/2018 01:46 17 requirements.txt
10 File(s) 195,503 bytes
6 Dir(s) 12,781,936,640 bytes free

C:\Users\matt\Desktop\ReaControl24-1.1.3\ReaControl24-1.1.3>python control24osc.py

Last edited by Matt Pinchin; 06-26-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:30 AM   #70
Matt Pinchin

I think I know what the problem is, I have the control24 connected through a router so will have a different IP address. I just need to find out what that address is.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:26 AM   #71
Matt Pinchin

OK, So I quit and restarted. Now I'm getting this

C:\Users\matt\Desktop\ReaControl24-1.1.3\ReaControl24-1.1.3>python control24d.py
File "control24d.py", line 650, in <module>
main()
File "control24d.py", line 632, in main
SESSION = C24session(opts, networks)
File "control24d.py", line 555, in __init__
self.thread_pcap_loop = Sniffer(self)
File "control24d.py", line 262, in __init__
c24session.pcap_sess.setfilter(filtstr)
File "pcap.pyx", line 288, in pcap.pcap.setfilter
OSError: ethernet addresses supported only on ethernet/FDDI/token ring/802.11/ATM LANE/Fibre Channel
Old 06-26-2020, 06:03 AM   #72
phunkyg

Quote:
OK, So I quit and restarted. Now I'm getting this
Hey Matt,

Sounds like you're working your way through getting your network setup right.

I don't think I've seen someone try it, but it does look like trying to flow these traffic packets through a router isn't working. I'm not surprised as they are not TCP or UDP and a router probably wouldn't know what to do with them.

In your latest attempt, how have you got the desk connected? Have you popped it into a spare port on your PC?

By default ReaControl picks the firs adapter on your system and assumes the same for the TCP/IP comms with Reaper. If you need to specify a different adapter, IP address and such, you can do that.

First, let's find out what the defaults are: run

Code:
sudo python control24d.py -h
It will give you all the options, plus it will show the defaults I mention above.
Finding the right adapter can be fun. Fortunately there is some further help.

Code:
sudo python control24d.py -n DUMMY
This will say 'sorry I don't have DUMMY' and then dump a list of what adapters have been found on your system. See if you can spot which one it should be from that list.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #73
Matt Pinchin

I have changed nothing with my setup. all connected the same as before.
Here are the results of running those 2 commands

C:\Users\matt\Desktop\ReaControl24-1.1.3\ReaControl24-1.1.3>python control24d.py -h
Usage: control24d.py [options]

control24d Communication Daemon part of ReaControl24 Copyright
(c)2018 Phase Walker This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions; see COPYING.md for details.

Options:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-d, --debug logger should use debug level. default = off / INFO
level
-o LOGDIR, --logdir=LOGDIR
logger should create dir and files here. default =
./logs
-n NETWORK, --network=NETWORK
Ethernet interface to the same network as the
Control24. Default = {xxxxxxx}
-l LISTEN, --listen=LISTEN
listen on given hostort. Default =
169.254.130.15:9123

C:\Users\matt\Desktop\ReaControl24-1.1.3\ReaControl24-1.1.3>python control24d.py -n DUMMY
{xxxxxxx} Bluetooth Network Connection
{xxxxxxx} Local Area Connection* 2
{xxxxxxx} Npcap Loopback Adapter
{xxxxxxx} Local Area Connection* 1
{xxxxxxx} Wi-Fi
{xxxxxxx}
{xxxxxxx} Ethernet
File "control24d.py", line 650, in <module>
main()
File "control24d.py", line 624, in main
'network'
optparse.OptionError: option network: Specified network does not exist. Known networks are listed to the output.

Last edited by Matt Pinchin; 06-26-2020 at 07:49 AM. Reason: hiding addresses
Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #74
phunkyg

Quote:
I have.. .

Ok that confirms you have a known issue

The workaround is to manually specify which network adapter is connected to the. same network as the desk.

Have a look through that list you'll see each has a big. long ID then a name, those are the same names as your networks in windows.

Copy the ID and put it where DUMMY was.

You'll probably also need to specify IP's for the rea connection but let's see if that gets you to the next step
Old 06-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #75
Matt Pinchin

yes that has got it. now I need to sort out the IP address.
IP address sorted now back to where I was before. I need to work out how to get the router to pass the info back to reaper

Last edited by Matt Pinchin; 06-26-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #76
Matt Pinchin

Do you think that maybe I can set up port forwarding to tell the router what to do with the data coming from the control24?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #77
Matt Pinchin

It now works perfectly if connected directly to the ethernet port of the pc. Thankyou very much for your assistance. I am now happy. Thanks.
Ideally I would like to be able to run this via the router as I still need to run protools on my old mac for some projects and reaper on pc for other projects.
I cant run reaper on my old mac as its way too old to run a modern DAW.
What about a network switch rather than a router, would that work?
Old 06-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #78
phunkyg

Quote:
It now works perfectlyer projects.
What about a network switch rather than a router, would that work?
Brilliant, glad it came good for you!

Yes a switch should be OK or 2 bridged LAN ports on the router.

If you get brave you can always download one of the new branches too and try them. Just extract to a different folder and off you go.

I have only 1 or 2 control24 users testing in there at the moment, trying not to break things for them while getting Pro Control to work.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:51 PM   #79
Matt Pinchin

Great. Thankyou. I will test for you no problem.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:19 AM   #80
phunkyg

Default A couple of bug fixes

Hey all

A Couple of bug fixes have gone into the DEV_OtherDevices_Refactor branch today.
Confirmed that quitting seems to work on all the main platforms.

Added a filter for network devices to avoid the Loopback Adapter being picked in Windows.