Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #3841
onewayout
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Florida
Posts: 1,395
Default

Hi Everyone,

I just got my old controller back to run my CLA mixhub app and I downloaded the new version of realearn 2 because it's been a while since I've used it. I was able to map out both the mono and the stereo versions and I put two relearns in my monitor effects slots.

When I opened up a project that I started a while back I already had some CLA mixhubapps in it, but the controllers wouldn't work. I opened up a new project and dragged a mix hub into a new track worked fine. I just can't get it to work on this one particular project even if I added a new mixhub the controller still will not work.

Does anyone have a workaround, or is it because realearn wasn't used when I started working on the project?
__________________
Win 10 I9 20 core 48g Ram always on the latest update
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:51 AM   #3842
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings
 
TheWhistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the abyss...gazing at you...
Posts: 1,233
Default Auto-Load

Forgive me when I am dumb but I was reading this thread and the manual up and down.
I am trying to use auto-load based on the focused fx-instance.
I know that I have done that in the past.
I focus my fx with my APCKey25 with another instance of REALEARN.
I have 2x5 rows of bringing in focus and 2x5 rows of activating fx.
This works quite nice.

I have mappings to ReaEQ from a FaderFox EC4 that load wonderfully when ReaEQ ist in focus.
When I try to do this for other FX I seem to have no success.
Can someone describe the actual steps I need go to make another instance of REALEARN be linked to a specific plugin (ReaComp e.g.)
This is what is describe in the manual by: Add link from last docused FX to preset....right?

Usecase: I have lotīs of tracks that hold similar plugins.
Everytime I focus an arbitrary instance of say ReaComp I want itīs parameters be ready to be tweaked by auto-loading the corresponding mapping preset.

I think this the most obvious benefit one can get out of this.
I was into the fx.json file in the Reaper resource directory and it seems that all connections other than the one to ReaEQ are not saved.
This is what the editor shows me when opening the file:

{
"links": [
{
"fx": {
"name": "VST: 01_ReaEQ (Cockos)"
},
"presetId": "reaeq-control"
}
]
}

I must be doing something very obvious compeletly wrong and I would be very greatful if someone could help me for the sake of salvation.
Thank you very much in advance.

EDIT: When switching mappings via auto-load link I do only need one instance of ReaLearn right? It is all done by switching through presets?
I mean I know that it is not reccommended to try to manage everything from within one instance of ReaLearn for organizational reasons.
What I donīt get is the relation between presets and (Realearn) instances it seems.
I want to use one instance of RL for a mapping for a given plugin.
But this very instance shall be mapped to a instance of a plugin and everytime I focus an instance of that very plugin the mapping should match.
__________________
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
https://marrowvoltage.bandcamp.com

Last edited by TheWhistler; 12-02-2023 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Forgot something
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:33 AM   #3843
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings
 
TheWhistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the abyss...gazing at you...
Posts: 1,233
Default Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil

I simply missed the step to link my VST plugin to the preset.
It is clearly described in the manual under

Step 3: Save mappings....

I must have done this in the past with ReaEQ and it was in the list.

I was under the impression that the link would be established somehow "magically" by focusing it before saving my preset.
__________________
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
https://marrowvoltage.bandcamp.com

Last edited by TheWhistler; 12-03-2023 at 12:19 PM.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:15 AM   #3844
Cloudswim
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Probably needs an FR.
cool !
Cloudswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #3845
onewayout
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Florida
Posts: 1,395
Default

Hi Everyone,

I still can't get realearn 2 to work globally on projects.
I've done everything I can on this side, watched all the videos they're kind of older..
but I have to do a separate instance and relearn all knobs and sheets and buttons every time I go to open a new plug-in for realearn to control.

Can anyone plz show me the way :-)

I'm on Win 10 and I'm putting 2 instances of relearn on monitor effects on for mono and the other for stereo, I can't even put in a new one on the track that I'm trying to work on, that doesn't work. I love the capabilities of this system I'm just trying to get it to work again so I can implement my controller and make life so much easier....🌞

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3euvy...9wqpeakxr&dl=0

Thx, Jeff
__________________
Win 10 I9 20 core 48g Ram always on the latest update
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:47 AM   #3846
JamesX
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 90
Default Trigger ReaLearn Event

I'm looking for a way to trigger a ReaLearn event using a Reaper tool bar text icon.

I've been around the block with this and cannot seem to crack it.

Is this even possible? Seems like it should be, and be relatively straight forward.

James
JamesX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:14 AM   #3847
Miscreant
Human being with feelings
 
Miscreant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 368
Default

Ba-bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
Quick follow-up: I'm having a problem getting ReaLearn to autoload just one plugin, the JS: ReEQ. This just started yesterday.

A few points: I also have an FX shortcut for this plugin, which inserts it onto a track with a different name. In ReaLearn I've duplicated my Twister mappings for this plugin with the different names recorded so ReaLearn sees it.

But now ReaLearn just isn't autoloading its mappings, even though all my other plugins work. I can't seem to figure out why it isn't seeing this plugin?

This is the name Reaper gives this plugin after I create a shortcut for it:
Insert FX: JS: ReEQ [ReJJ-1.0.11\ReEQ.jsfx]
I've copied that and created in ReaLearn a duplicate mapping for ReaLearn. No dice. I'll add that when I change the FX instance name to one that is the title of another duplicate mapping in ReaLearn, it still doesn't work.

For some reason ReaLearn just isn't seeing JS: ReEQ?

EDIT: one more point. If I turn off auto-load, select the relevant preset in ReaLearn and then click on the plugin in Reaper, the mappings appear on the Twister. So there is communication (eg., the plugin title is not causing a problem). But there's no auto-load.

EDIT #2: further testing shows that if I insert JS: ReEQ manually via the FX browser, ReaLearn will see it when I open it. When I use the shortcut however, which titles JS: ReEQ differently (see above), ReaLearn doesn't see it. And ReaLearn still doesn't see it if I edit that FX instance name to match the instances of JS: ReEQ that ReaLearn does see.

So there is some issue with ReaLearn seeing the plugin when it's inserted via an FX shortcut...
Miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:22 AM   #3848
robotron
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 335
Default Relearn not processing when CPU load high or when windows being dragged?

Many thanks for making Realearn, I use it in a ton of different ways and it's invaluable!

One thing I use it for is to automate FX parameters, e.g. Realearn instance on a MIDI track, input = <FX input>, output = <none> with mappings to change the parameters of a JSFX on the same track (via MIDI cc input to the track).

I've noticed that when the CPU load is high (or when I drag any Reaper window across the screen) then the FX parameters stop changing for a while, it's as if Realearn stops processing.

I can recreate this issue consistently by dragging any Reaper window (e.g. FX chain, MIDI editor, etc.) around the screen at any time while a project is playing - Realearn stops making any changes to the FX parameters until I stop dragging the window. This isn't a big issue by itself but the interruptions/glitches when CPU goes over 50% is more of a problem.

Is this a known issue and is there any way to fix/reduce it? I've attached a screenshot of a mapping that's affected (although it seems to affect all of them).

Thanks for any advice/assistance!

EDIT: using Reaper 7.05x64 on Windows 10 in case that's useful/relevant.
Attached Images
File Type: png realearn screenshot.png (32.8 KB, 20 views)
robotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 04:47 AM   #3849
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
Ba-bump
Not sure, not enough time to investigate in detail at the moment. Please open an issue on GitHub, otherwise this info will be hopelessly lost within forum posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotron View Post
Many thanks for making Realearn, I use it in a ton of different ways and it's invaluable!

One thing I use it for is to automate FX parameters, e.g. Realearn instance on a MIDI track, input = <FX input>, output = <none> with mappings to change the parameters of a JSFX on the same track (via MIDI cc input to the track).

I've noticed that when the CPU load is high (or when I drag any Reaper window across the screen) then the FX parameters stop changing for a while, it's as if Realearn stops processing.

I can recreate this issue consistently by dragging any Reaper window (e.g. FX chain, MIDI editor, etc.) around the screen at any time while a project is playing - Realearn stops making any changes to the FX parameters until I stop dragging the window. This isn't a big issue by itself but the interruptions/glitches when CPU goes over 50% is more of a problem.

Is this a known issue and is there any way to fix/reduce it? I've attached a screenshot of a mapping that's affected (although it seems to affect all of them).

Thanks for any advice/assistance!

EDIT: using Reaper 7.05x64 on Windows 10 in case that's useful/relevant.
If that happens when you move the window or do other forms of heavy-duty mouse user interface interaction with REAPER, I suspect the issue is that REAPER's main thread is blocked. ReaLearn (and all other controller integration tools for REAPER) need to execute FX parameter changes in the main thread, so if the main thread is blocked, it will not get its turn. Does it look as if the changes to the FX parameters "pile up" and then execute all at once once you don't drag the window anymore? That would confirm it.

I just booted up Windows and I can't reproduce it. I put a MIDI item with dense CC events on a clip and connected it to the master volume fader via ReaLearn, there were no gaps when doing crazy window movements. Maybe it's related to a specific plug-in that you use?

I'm on macOS most of the time and there I can observe a similar issue when dragging the mouse to change play rate or volume faders: This blocks the main thread quite visibly because you can see how the transport display doesn't update anymore while dragging.

If it's this main thread issue, there's no way around it that I'm aware of. It's more of a REAPER issue.

One thing you could check is to see how native MIDI learn behaves in the same situation.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:00 AM   #3850
JamesX
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post
I'm looking for a way to trigger a ReaLearn event using a Reaper tool bar text icon.

I've been around the block with this and cannot seem to crack it.

Is this even possible? Seems like it should be, and be relatively straight forward.

James
Is there an answer to this request?

James
JamesX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:20 AM   #3851
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post
Is there an answer to this request?

James
Not sure if there's a hacky way to achieve that, but there's at least no official way. Maybe in future: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/649
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 12:18 PM   #3852
robotron
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Not sure, not enough time to investigate in detail at the moment. Please open an issue on GitHub, otherwise this info will be hopelessly lost within forum posts.
Thanks, I'll do that.

The messages/changes don't pile up, they just seem to stop/freeze during a mouse move/CPU spike and then continue normally afterwards. I've just tested with Reaper's FX CC midi link and it doesn't have the same problem, all the automation goes through ok.

I don't think it's related to the plugins as it seems the same with all FX, including very simple JSFX note filters, etc.

I'll do some more testing to get more information and try and recreate it with a bare-bones project and then post details on GitHub.
robotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:19 PM   #3853
chronowire
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 1
Default Troubleshoot help Importing .lua controller script

Hi I'm really new to ReaLearn and I have a few controllers I've started to map into ReaLearn. I discovered there is a .lua scrip for a controller I have, the Novation Launch Control XL MK2 - Controller Compartement.lua listed on the Github.
I downloaded it and followed instructions to import it into ReaLearn. I am getting an error message, and I can't seem to understand, I am really new to scripting, I've even been asking ChatGPT to help me with no avail.
My error is:
syntax error: [string "Import"]:1: syntax error near 'Launch'
I would like to checkout this mapping by Bassman, and learn more about the scripting. Can anyone help me?

https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...ontrol-xl-mkii

Last edited by chronowire; 12-17-2023 at 05:24 PM. Reason: accidentally hit tab and sent it before done
chronowire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:00 PM   #3854
onox
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 32
Default Just sharing: Pro-Q3; Flat 7 Bands preset mapping for X-Touch Mini

Took some time to map these out. This is the main compartment mapping.

Works nicely with the unofficial controller mappings at https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...r-x-touch-mini

The first row buttons from left to right enables bands 1, 2, 6, 7, 3, 4, 5 respectively. That is: High Pass, Low Shelf, High Shelf, Low Pass, Band 3, Tilt Shelf, Band 5 respectively in order.

Knobs from left to right:

1: Stereo Placement, Band Solo
2. Band Shape
3. Band Slope
4. Threshold
5 Dynamic Range
6. Band Q, Q reset
7. Band Frequency, Band Enable/Disable
8. Band Gain, Band Gain reset.

Thanks Helgoboss for realearn. I am finally able to use my controller after 3 years of it gathering dust.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Relearn xtouch pro q Main compartment V2.json.txt (108.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by onox; 12-17-2023 at 08:07 PM.
onox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 12:29 AM   #3855
dfasf
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 3
Default Realearn and TouchOsc Text Messages via Midi?

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to get text Feedback via MIDI from Realearn/Reaper to TouchOsc (e.g. sending a selected track name from Reaper to a label element in TouchOsc).
With OSC message it works - however Midi would be better for a Live performance setting because of the wired Connection possibility.
Does someone have some Tips to share?

Thank you Helgoboss for this genius Plug-in!

VG,
Daniel
dfasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:57 PM   #3856
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Released ReaLearn 2.16.0-pre.7 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- Requires REAPER >= 6.11 (I simplified some code by using REAPER 6.11 features)
- Improvements related to Playtime
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:29 PM   #3857
onox
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 32
Default Suggestion

It would be nice if we could map FX parameter name using a dynamic variable, in addition to * and ?.
For example, if i were able to map "Band {{X}} Frequency" etc to a knob, where X = P[0] * some condition, I wouldn't have to map it out for N number of bands individually. The <Dynamic> option only works if the mappable parameters were already arranged in banks of fixed size by the FX developer.

Last edited by onox; 12-22-2023 at 10:52 AM.
onox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 12:55 PM   #3858
tanr
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Posts: 1
Default Novation LaunchKey Controller Compartment Presets?

I'm just getting started with ReaLearn2 and have a couple MIDI devices set up so far.

Next up is creating a Controller Compartment preset for my Novation LaunchKey37 (similar to the bigger LaunchKeys but without faders).

Before I wade into setting that up, anybody already created a controller preset for a LaunchKey I could use as a starting point? Especially one that works with the custom pads and custom pots configs.

I don't see any official or un-official controller preset on github, and the only related main preset I see is for the Novation SL MkIII pots, but from the Lua that's mostly for setting up the SL LED displays to match.

Thanks.
tanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 06:19 AM   #3859
dna598
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 692
Default

The faderfox ec4 has been updated.

I am hoping there is now a way to get parameter readouts and deep customization via realearn?

Moss has done a very cool extension for Driven by Moss (it does the parameter readouts), but i would also like to use Realearn for more possibilities.

HelgoBoss (or anyone), I don't think you have the ec4, but any chance you could take a look at it?
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 07:52 AM   #3860
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna598 View Post
The faderfox ec4 has been updated.

I am hoping there is now a way to get parameter readouts and deep customization via realearn?

Moss has done a very cool extension for Driven by Moss (it does the parameter readouts), but i would also like to use Realearn for more possibilities.

HelgoBoss (or anyone), I don't think you have the ec4, but any chance you could take a look at it?
I just dropped the EC4 guy a message to ask him about that. Let's see what he responds.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:27 AM   #3861
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna598 View Post
The faderfox ec4 has been updated.

I am hoping there is now a way to get parameter readouts and deep customization via realearn?

Moss has done a very cool extension for Driven by Moss (it does the parameter readouts), but i would also like to use Realearn for more possibilities.

HelgoBoss (or anyone), I don't think you have the ec4, but any chance you could take a look at it?
Yes, it's possible now. One can send sys-ex messages to the EC4 in order to send arbitrary letters to the displays. I don't have time at the moment to bake in support for this into ReaLearn, but if you are familiar with Lua, you could script it yourself by using ReaLearn's "MIDI script" source. The manufacturer of the EC4 is responsive and can send you a "EC4 sysex documentation" on request.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:34 AM   #3862
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 14,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
if you are familiar with Lua, you could script it yourself by using ReaLearn's "MIDI script" source.
Does ReaLearn support as well Lua as EEL scripting ?
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 07:15 AM   #3863
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Does ReaLearn support as well Lua as EEL scripting ?
Yes. An overview:

- MIDI scripts: Lua or EEL (Lua support more powerful)
- Feedback scripts (for MIDI or OSC): Lua only
- Control transformations: EEL only (because must be real-time capable)
- Import/export: JSON or Lua (Lua obviously more powerful)
- Dynamic conditional activation: Expression language or EEL
- Target-based conditional activation: Expression language
- Dynamic expressions: Expression language
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:54 AM   #3864
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings
 
TheWhistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the abyss...gazing at you...
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Yes, it's possible now. One can send sys-ex messages to the EC4 in order to send arbitrary letters to the displays. I don't have time at the moment to bake in support for this into ReaLearn, but if you are familiar with Lua, you could script it yourself by using ReaLearn's "MIDI script" source. The manufacturer of the EC4 is responsive and can send you a "EC4 sysex documentation" on request.
Ah...I contacted him as well and he sent me the sysex documentation.
I have a relatively good understanding of midi messages.
I was hoping that it is not only possible to let the faderfox display letters that have to be sent every time.
Changing presets (setups/groups) on the faderfox seems much more efficient and easier to achieve.
Probably not possible, though.
__________________
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
https://marrowvoltage.bandcamp.com
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:03 AM   #3865
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Ah...I contacted him as well and he sent me the sysex documentation.
I have a relatively good understanding of midi messages.
I was hoping that it is not only possible to let the faderfox display letters that have to be sent every time.
Changing presets (setups/groups) on the faderfox seems much more efficient and easier to achieve.
Probably not possible, though.
Easier to achieve: Maybe
Much more efficient: I don't think so, did you try it?

In any case, it would be much less flexible because you wouldn't have a bidirectional communication. You would change something in the DAW and the EC4 wouldn't follow. Or are you talking about something else?
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:17 AM   #3866
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings
 
TheWhistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the abyss...gazing at you...
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Easier to achieve: Maybe
Much more efficient: I don't think so, did you try it?

In any case, it would be much less flexible because you wouldn't have a bidirectional communication. You would change something in the DAW and the EC4 wouldn't follow. Or are you talking about something else?
I was thinking about a command that will bring up a dedicated group (set of 16 rotary and 16 push-knob controlls in the EC4) when a specific preset is loaded.
I have made presets in ReaLearn that load when a given vst is focused.
The group in the EC4 would be bound to to the ReaLearn preset.

If that would work it would seem like a good thing to me.
I sadly have no idea how I could use scripting and will still change my setups by hand.

In terms of efficiency I was only thinking about the lots of data that have to be sent.
I (naively) thought that it would be more efficient to send a kind of programm change in sysex-format.


ReaLearn is great as it is, thankīs for your effort.
__________________
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
https://marrowvoltage.bandcamp.com
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:58 AM   #3867
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
I was thinking about a command that will bring up a dedicated group (set of 16 rotary and 16 push-knob controlls in the EC4) when a specific preset is loaded.
I have made presets in ReaLearn that load when a given vst is focused.
The group in the EC4 would be bound to to the ReaLearn preset.

If that would work it would seem like a good thing to me.
I sadly have no idea how I could use scripting and will still change my setups by hand.

In terms of efficiency I was only thinking about the lots of data that have to be sent.
I (naively) thought that it would be more efficient to send a kind of programm change in sysex-format.


ReaLearn is great as it is, thankīs for your effort.
Ah okay. Well, I didn't look into it but I suppose recalling a specific group in the EC4 via MIDI would also be possible. I still think it would be less flexible because you would need to build those groups in the EC4 first. So the logic wouldn't be located only in ReaLearn, but also in the EC4. Logic in two places, harder to maintain, harder to share, easier to make mistakes (the ReaLearn preset would only function correctly if the EC4 has the correct groups configured). A tiny bit faster probably, but I suppose the difference would be neglectable.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:00 PM   #3868
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings
 
TheWhistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the abyss...gazing at you...
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Ah okay. Well, I didn't look into it but I suppose recalling a specific group in the EC4 via MIDI would also be possible. I still think it would be less flexible because you would need to build those groups in the EC4 first. So the logic wouldn't be located only in ReaLearn, but also in the EC4. Logic in two places, harder to maintain, harder to share, easier to make mistakes (the ReaLearn preset would only function correctly if the EC4 has the correct groups configured). A tiny bit faster probably, but I suppose the difference would be neglectable.
I get you in terms of maintainance, sharing is obviously obsolete.
The EC4 for has this accelleration feature that can be set different for every parameter in a group.
That is my main purpose for thinking about that.

Sadly I struggle a bit with the projection feature.
I might have to dive deeper into this (network thing) but it is also about desk space.
The EC4 offers a sufficient display option already.
I actually switch my setups by hand hand atm and would really love to have them automatically switched by loading a specific vst.

Mathias Fuchs told me that the EC4 sends the actual midi data when switching groups.
Would it be possible to add a mapping that only fires when the corresponding vst is loaded into ReaLearn?

Again, thankīs for developing/sharing ReaLearn.
__________________
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
https://marrowvoltage.bandcamp.com
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:51 PM   #3869
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
I get you in terms of maintainance, sharing is obviously obsolete.
The EC4 for has this accelleration feature that can be set different for every parameter in a group.
That is my main purpose for thinking about that.

Sadly I struggle a bit with the projection feature.
I might have to dive deeper into this (network thing) but it is also about desk space.
The EC4 offers a sufficient display option already.
I actually switch my setups by hand hand atm and would really love to have them automatically switched by loading a specific vst.

Mathias Fuchs told me that the EC4 sends the actual midi data when switching groups.
Would it be possible to add a mapping that only fires when the corresponding vst is loaded into ReaLearn?

Again, thankīs for developing/sharing ReaLearn.
Do you know the MIDI message that the EC4 needs to switch to a specific group? If yes, you could send this message on auto-load by either using mapping lifecycle messages or by using a timer source with a very high number of milliseconds (so it only fires once) combined with a "MIDI: Send message" target.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:57 PM   #3870
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default Upcoming feature: ReaLearn Units

Hi, just wanted to announce an interesting addition in the upcoming ReaLearn release:

One ReaLearn FX instance will be able to contain multiple ReaLearn units. Each unit can have a different input/output.

This has at least two nice consequences:

1. One ReaLearn instance will be able to serve multiple controllers!

2. If you have some mappings that are constant and others that change via auto-load ... you will be able to put them all into a single ReaLearn instance.


I think some of you will be happy about this change. I added it because it's necessary for Playtime 2.

Last edited by helgoboss; 12-29-2023 at 12:50 AM.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:52 PM   #3871
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings
 
TheWhistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the abyss...gazing at you...
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Do you know the MIDI message that the EC4 needs to switch to a specific group? If yes, you could send this message on auto-load by either using mapping lifecycle messages or by using a timer source with a very high number of milliseconds (so it only fires once) combined with a "MIDI: Send message" target.
Thank you for this hint. I am off for a short vacation over new year but will try this out when I am back next week.

Copy from out of the sysex manual of the EC4:



Can I send such a message in the way you described/suggested?

Best Mario...und guten Rutsch
__________________
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
https://marrowvoltage.bandcamp.com

Last edited by TheWhistler; 12-29-2023 at 12:00 AM.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 02:50 AM   #3872
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 14,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Yes. An overview:

- MIDI scripts: Lua or EEL (Lua support more powerful)
- Feedback scripts (for MIDI or OSC): Lua only
- Control transformations: EEL only (because must be real-time capable)
- Import/export: JSON or Lua (Lua obviously more powerful)
- Dynamic conditional activation: Expression language or EEL
- Target-based conditional activation: Expression language
- Dynamic expressions: Expression language

WOW !
Regarding that OSC support already is implemented, this triggers a request I would appreciate a lot:
OSCIIBot (real-time capable EEL, in a OSCIIBot-code-compatible way) built in with ReaLearn. (Or maybe as an additional midi-only plugin.)

Thanks for listening.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:44 AM   #3873
MartinTL
Human being with feelings
 
MartinTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Norway
Posts: 56
Default FaderFox EC4 mappings

Thank you so much for this tool, Benjamin, it has really helped my workflow a lot!

I have a Faderfox EC4-controller, and have spent quite a lot of time making a bunch of 14-bit MIDI-mappings for Reaper using ReaLearn. I've been trying to imitate the mappings that Faderfox has made for Ableton, and added some features.

I have added the sysex-file for the controller and the .json-file for ReaLearn here, and a text-file explaining how it is all setup:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/m3zwo...dcp0rcvai&dl=0

Hopefully this saves someone a bunch of hours, and makes their workflow a lot faster

Best
Martin
MartinTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:51 AM   #3874
mozart999uk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTL View Post
Thank you so much for this tool, Benjamin, it has really helped my workflow a lot!

I have a Faderfox EC4-controller, and have spent quite a lot of time making a bunch of 14-bit MIDI-mappings for Reaper using ReaLearn. I've been trying to imitate the mappings that Faderfox has made for Ableton, and added some features.

I have added the sysex-file for the controller and the .json-file for ReaLearn here, and a text-file explaining how it is all setup:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/m3zwo...dcp0rcvai&dl=0

Hopefully this saves someone a bunch of hours, and makes their workflow a lot faster

Best
Martin
Thanks for doing all this. EC4 is on my shopping list so when I finally purchase, this will be a great resource / starting point :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:43 PM   #3875
MartinTL
Human being with feelings
 
MartinTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Norway
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Thanks for doing all this. EC4 is on my shopping list so when I finally purchase, this will be a great resource / starting point :-)
Thanks! Nice to be able to share - and you should definitely get it, very compact, user friendly, high quality and easy to use.
MartinTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:44 AM   #3876
mozart999uk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTL View Post
Thanks! Nice to be able to share - and you should definitely get it, very compact, user friendly, high quality and easy to use.
Thanks! Currently have the MFT set up with realearn and was waiting for the bidirecitonal text element of the EC4 to be implemented before I jumped ship. Sounds like the time is now!
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:59 AM   #3877
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings
 
TheWhistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the abyss...gazing at you...
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Do you know the MIDI message that the EC4 needs to switch to a specific group? If yes, you could send this message on auto-load by either using mapping lifecycle messages or by using a timer source with a very high number of milliseconds (so it only fires once) combined with a "MIDI: Send message" target.
Yes I do. I can even learn it. Itīs a raw sysex message that works and selects the corresponding group on my faderfox EC4.
But it only works when I push the trigger button in the mapping manually
I just donīt get my head around how to fire it when the setting is automatically selected when the vst is in focus (which works like a charm BTW).

So I would really be greatful if you could push me a bit into the right direction.

The lifecycle message seems logically to and I read about it in the manual but I donīt find anything in the mapping that looks close to that.

Thank you very much in advance.

__________________
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
https://marrowvoltage.bandcamp.com
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:10 AM   #3878
helgoboss
Human being with feelings
 
helgoboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Yes I do. I can even learn it. Itīs a raw sysex message that works and selects the corresponding group on my faderfox EC4.
But it only works when I push the trigger button in the mapping manually
I just donīt get my head around how to fire it when the setting is automatically selected when the vst is in focus (which works like a charm BTW).

So I would really be greatful if you could push me a bit into the right direction.

The lifecycle message seems logically to and I read about it in the manual but I donīt find anything in the mapping that looks close to that.

Thank you very much in advance.

You create a mapping as part of the preset that you auto-load, choose Source category "REAPER" with type "Timer". As target you use what you already have.

This should repeatedly send the message as soon as the preset has been (automatically or manually) loaded. Now, you want to send it only once. You can do it by entering a very high number (e.g. 1000000000), which effectively lets the timer trigger only once when the mapping is loaded.

Mode "Performance control" is a bit weird to use in your scenario. You might want to set it to "Normal".
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:53 AM   #3879
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings
 
TheWhistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the abyss...gazing at you...
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
You create a mapping as part of the preset that you auto-load, choose Source category "REAPER" with type "Timer". As target you use what you already have.

This should repeatedly send the message as soon as the preset has been (automatically or manually) loaded. Now, you want to send it only once. You can do it by entering a very high number (e.g. 1000000000), which effectively lets the timer trigger only once when the mapping is loaded.

Mode "Performance control" is a bit weird to use in your scenario. You might want to set it to "Normal".
Thank you so, so much for helping me.
I could not find the correct source and I have learned such a lot more about ReaLearn.
It works and itīs really a step foreward for me.
Maybe in the future I will try to set it up like you reccomended with sending the letters (in sysex format) from ReaLearn to the EC4.

Cheers
Mario
__________________
And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
https://marrowvoltage.bandcamp.com
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:34 AM   #3880
keaton
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 184
Default

Hello,

Have used ReaLearn successfully with one controller mainly with 4 simple rotary knobs but am experimenting with a Behringer BCF2000 which includes faders. Have starting building a controller preset with the 8 faders but am finding that when mapping a fader to an FX parameter it is barely nudging the parmeter (ie: so when the mader is at max, the software dial has barely moved). I understand this is something I need to alter in the controller preset mapping but not quite sure where to start. Would it be the 'Source' settings that need looking at or the 'Glue'? Thanks.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.