Old 01-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #81
symetrk
Human being with feelings

Hi all... new here... a Sonar exile having found my new DAW home here (and quite happy about it!).

I've been checking out this script and I think it's fantastic. However, I thought I'd point one thing out and see what others think...

Basically, it seems like you can only instantiate FXRack on a channel *without* any existing FX on it, and it's extremely fiddly to bring any existing FX into it from another channel (which you might want to do if, say, you had set up a chain of FX with tweaked settings, but wanted to then expand on it by using the handy multi-channel routing workflow of FXRack).

It's possible, but you have to:
1) close the FXRack window - if it's open, it will instantly kill any 'alien' FX you try to drag in;
2) drag the FX in and put it between the splitter- and joiner-plugins
3) carefully rename it according to the script's naming convention, e.g. (1:2)
4) start up the script again

So if you want to use it on every channel from the beginning, as a first step to instantiating any FX, that's fine; but it strikes me this is a bit of overkill, and maybe not everyone wants to use it that way.

What if it could be set up to work on a channel with existing FX? Currently it refuses to do so, but it strikes me that maybe it could simply insert its splitter- and joiner-plugins at the beginning and end of the existing chain, and rename the existing FX in order to bring them into its grid.

Of course, it might not be able to guess where you want them to go, but since you can drag and drop within the grid that doesn't really matter - it could just put them all in a line on the top row, spilling into the next row if necessary, and then you could arrange them however you want by dragging and dropping.

Maybe there's a technical reason why this is impossible, I don't know - the script does seem to be able to control plugin names, but maybe it can only do that if it has itself created the plugin. But if that's not a limitation, maybe it's possible? Does anyone else see the possible benefit of being able to apply FXRack to an existing chain of FX?
symetrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #82
symetrk

I guess not?
symetrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 AM   #83
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by symetrk View Post
I guess not?
From what you've suggested - I would say it's all possible - but would need Eugen to want to adapt it to enable your suggestions.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #84
MCCY

Wow, I find great scripts now every three days!! I'm looking for a way to save whole Track-Presets. I'm combining Realearn & LBX right now for live controlling main parameters, but I run a really complex setup and LBX seems to be not the solution for such presets (because having lots of plugins completly snapshotable leads to CPU headroom loss with 64samples latency - using it as a guitar rack in a live looper setup with Playtime), more for controlling. I'd like to store deep editing as a Track-Preset & do the superficial controlling via LBX Parameters, while doing the Midi Learning by ReaLearn... If FX Rack saves presets well, this could be fantastic... but for now I didn't even find out how to start it ;-) Found it in Reapack, now I'm trying to find out what to do next :-)

EDIT:

Wow, that was easy :-) EXPLORING NOW!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

EDIT:
AAAAAHHHH It'S MAGIIIIIIICCCCC!!!!! It works so well!!!!!

Any possibility to add (much) more than 6 Effects in a chain?

EDIT:
hmmm, for most cases using Pre & Post effects should be enough... I'll give it a try :-)

Last edited by MCCY; 03-20-2018 at 03:01 PM.
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #85
MCCY

Quote:
Does anyone else see the possible benefit of being able to apply FXRack to an existing chain of FX?

Yes, yes, yes, of course!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #86
MCCY

Oh :-( I thought I could use effects outside the Rack paradigm in addition. I have some special needs because I need a very clean signal throughut the whole chain, but I can't derive it in first instance:

When I manually add a plugin in the first instance before Rack and sending its outs to 3/4 it will be completely deleted after opening & closing the rack :-(

When I add a plugin to the input chain and save its outs to 3/4 that setting will be deleted :-( WHY ? That possibility would have solved my problem, I think ... adding some fix-plugs which don't need to be changed, but just do their buisiness beside the Rack.

hmhmhmmmm This thing is ssoooooo sweet, but this could be s show stopper for me.... buuuuuu

EDIT:
FURTHER TESTING:

When I put a sidechain gate in the Post FX, (which absolutely is standard thinking, that I just gate the WHOLE sound, but with the uneffected as sidechain) it is not possible to rout the inputs 3/4 to the plugin or use the inputs 1/2 for sidechaining :-(
This really is a showstopper for me right now. It simply forgets the settings :-(

Please allow manually routing in the background, so that the plugins do not forget their setting when rack is opened/closed ...

Last edited by MCCY; 03-20-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #87
MCCY

Stupid question...

I run into some deadend streets here.

Would it be possible to release just a Track Preset manager without the routing-rack? I would like to rather do the routing manually but I need such a beautiful solution to save presets for all plugins on track.

This feature alone is simply fantastic!!!!! Would it be difficult to 'cut it out' of the rack-script?

with best regards

Martin
Old 03-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #88
dasombre

Quote:
Does anyone else see the possible benefit of being able to apply FXRack to an existing chain of FX?
totally! not only as benefit, but almost as essential
This is what I wanted to try right after installing it.

I just discovered this script today and i'm very impressed by the nice implementation and functionality. Amazing and impressive!
Thank you very much Eugen for this nice tool!!

Maybe the script could just leave the existing FX on the track as they are, and do it's magic on top of that as it does already.
This would make it a very versatile everyday FX-rack, not only for layering and experimenting but for presets and as FX-chain-default-view, because it looks much nicer than the native FX-chain window.

Really hope you could consider this for a future-update
Thanks again! Looking forward to put it to use.
dasombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #89
Ozman

I'm really liking this script.
I think it is the best implementation of native, modular approach to fx chains in Reaper.

I have some thoughts that could possibly be taken into consideration in regards to future versions...

1) Different, more general layout, in which the parallel chains are not limited by a specific number. This would not only free up current limitations, but also be advantageous when running the script on pre-existing fx-chains. By default, the fx instances can start as one serial chain, which in turn would allow for them to be rearranged into parallel chains.
- Many, like myself, would really like to have this type of control on pre-existing fx chains (those saved already as ones created before associated the script with the track): Pretty much just more user-friendly.

2) Also, Pre and Post chains having no limitations as well.

3) Instance/container nesting.

--- Overall, I think considering another, general, extensive (scrolling/zooming/etc) layout/interface can work wonders for this thing.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:10 AM   #90
daxliniere

Hey Eugen,

Do you think you could create a function/module which was essentially a way to drive a plugin harder or softer?
The basic idea would be 2 simple gain modules, one is inserted before the plugin you want to drive and one after. Adjusting the gain on one of these gain plugins provides an opposite gain to the other gain plugin.

Alternatively, the most awesome way to do this is to learn from REAPER's wet/dry control on every plugin. I think it would be great to have a 'drive' or 'gain offset' control on each plugin slot in your FXRack?

All the best!
Dax.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #91
deeb

i found some "minor" issues using this in osx. But The idea/concept/implementation of this plugin is brilliant. One of the most creative scripters i met when i joined here. He's been away for some quite a while i think. Hope he's well. Particularly, this script Just needs 0 issues almost there.

Cheers to him
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #92
David Carlyon

This is awesome! I have a question though..
Is there any way to use this same interface, but instead of using the splitter first - disabling it.
So that i could have, say, 8 stereo channels routed to a buss, run them all in parallel until the end of the rack - then mix down?

That way the input fx would be 1 slot per stereo input channel?

Does that make any sense? I have been looking for a way to do this.
Cheers!
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 AM   #93
TonE

Here it gives only an error, telling:
Wrong track! Read Info, or use Empty or Correct Track!
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #94
Velcro

Default Also would like to disable the splitter

I'm in the same boat with David Carlyon — is it possible to disable the splitter and hook up the 8 rows to independent input channels?

For instance, then we could take 8 stereo outs from a VSTi and give each one its own FX chain... that would be a life-changing workflow enhancement!

Sorry if I've overlooked something obvious.
Thanks for this great plugin, it's really nice.
Velcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #95
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen2777 View Post
I just copied the interface from BCPathWork. It is easy to change.
But with Reaper functions it is much more interesting.
Wonderful!
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #96
J Riley Hill

great script!
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote