COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
AndyMc
Human being with feelings

Default ARRRRRRG!!! If ya NEW - READ THIS!

Ok if ya new to ninjam and u like to CRUNCH ya guitar then have a Listen to how it can completely sits out of place and kill an Auto Record Leveling.

As this shows and do many others:
http://autosong.ninjam.com/mp3.php/2...io-bop-rob.mp3

Ok some tips, as crunch is ok if in proportion or Heavy Rock or Metal.

1. Put your NINJAM Local Volume to 0db on the NINJAM and/or ReaNinjam Window and/or on the REAPER Track your Guitar/Instrument is on.

2. Now get your peak level to around -14db to -10db, this means thew highest the level is hitting is -10db or less.
Now lower your LOCAL CHANNEL volume to around -12db. If you want more volume increase your local channel volume up and down as desired.

OPTIONAL TIPS:
--------------
3. Use NINJAM's built in FX or the FX button on a Reaper Channel to add EQ your guitar. EQ so you leave room for bass, drums, pads/piano and brass. Also consider changing an octave up when playing if the music is getting crowded. If you change to an octave up then add a touch of reverb, lower mid ranges on the EQ, Lower Volume on guitar and pan slightly on the Reaper Channel you Instrument is on.

4. If you use NINJAM Client then consider setting your sound for mono and stereo, don't assume others should pan you. When disconnections occur people would need to keep stopping to grab the mouse and re-pan you.
If your not panned it increases the overhead and noise level from you substantially.

5. Consider using REAPER and its built in ReaNINJAM plugin as this is Stereo on 1 NINJAM channel, which means less bandwidth, less disconnections, more bandwidth for webcam and other net usage. Plus many things like Session mode, Voice Mode, later Production of NINJAM's, the ability too use VST's and VSTi's like Guitar Rig and Groove Agent. Also the Server List will show in REAPERS ReaNINJAM plugin.

6. If others are too loud, ask politely, don't bash them because there n00b to NINJAM

Also can I make a request that people stop judging others base don there ability.
A persons ability to play is not there ability in music, many people have been in music for many years with out the playing skill and could surprise you of there ability. Many others have excellent taught or learned skills but will not have some abilities of less accomplished players and vice verso.

I mention this only be cause way back I could see its effect, one negative comment can lead to 10 unhappy other people.
If you hear someone playing something good, don't feel less, just think of what is unique to you.

So in a short, lets stop bashing all the new comers for being too loud, not setup right and so on, lets help them, that's what the test servers are for, as the name says TEST.
I only would say to NINJAM n00bs is that private servers should not be used to get setup unless they state so.

I Edited this, was in a rush earlier, might edit it again when i get to read what I typed. :P

Last edited by AndyMc; 08-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
user7776543

A thread like this seems very important when using Ninjam, since it's so easy to get a bad sound (bad can be many things, like too loud, too soft, wrong frequency settings, noise, etc).

To the point - I just noticed, (after a day spent playing with a dry signal and not knowing it!) that even getting your tone set the way you like it (I'm a guitarist), doesn't guarantee it comes through sounding like you want it to.

Why does this happen, and what can I do about it - I spend a long time getting my tone set up right (I tested through an empty Ninjam server, even!) - and then when I go to play live, all the mid's drop out of my sound, and it sounds like I'm on electric bass!

What can I do about this? Why is it happening?
user7776543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
pljones

Use Reaper.
Start a clean project.
Add a track.
Set the track inputs to your guitar (record, mono, pick the source).
On the TRACK FX, set up your pedals, amp sims, etc.

DO NOT INSERT ReaNINJAM ON THE INPUT TRACK.

On Reaper's Master Output, insert only ReaNINJAM.

This way, the only thing Reaper is outputting to your soundcard - and hence your headphones - is what's passing through ReaNINJAM. You should not be using anything else to monitor what's going on.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
user7776543

Thanks for your reply.

I am only using the ReaNinJam on the master track - I would not have even known to do that much, without the help of the threads in this forum!

(I didn't even know I could add effects to the master track - I'm still a bit of a noob.)

I think the problem of losing audio range might be caused by the fact that I am blending with additional audio feeds that when I am jamming, as opposed to the solo audio feed I hear when I am setting up my tone.

I guess the only solution is to tweak the tone when hearing it live with other instruments. I'll continue to experiment.
user7776543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
AndyMc

Also another thing missed by many is there normally running through there onboard sound card, if so then make sure no EQ effects are on whilst you get set right alongside others.
EQ can include surround effects and more, most onboard sound cards come with these, double click the icon near the time which refers to your sound card.
When your setup you can re-on the EQ to taste. Add Salt and Pepper if needed.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote