Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
stodge
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on a Mac Mini?

I don't remember seeing this question answered, but has anyone experience of using Reaper on a Mac Mini? How is the performance? I'm not talking 64 tracks of audio with lots of FX, I'm just an amateur at home. So the requirements don't need to be as high.

Thanks

Registered Reaper user!
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
plush2

It runs on a mac mini powerpc pretty well. As you specified no high track counts or fx, but it does run.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Ajp251

I'm in the same boat. Mac mini, seems ok but i'm getting weird latency issues which i'm trying to sort through. May go back to protools
Ajp251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Geoff Waddington

Running a late 2012 quad core i7 16Gb mini for 3 years now, works great, track counts usually under 50 or so, lots of FX, etc.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
djworx

Late 2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM here as well. Did a project with 96 tracks and loads of effects and bussing. No hiccups! Ran it like it did every other project. I did however, run a higher buffer of about 1024 samples. Other than the longer load times, I don't see you running into any issues.
djworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
kevor

I've been running a new Mac Mini since this summer and have had no issues.
kevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
rdesanti

Default 2012 Mini Mac

16gig ram i7 does great up to 60 tracks or so. I think as long as you don't pack down the 3rd party CPU hungry plugins your pretty good. I recently made a 91 track and it was getting a little sketchy. Stuttering.
--Mac Mini, 3 GHz 2 core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, OSX Catalina V10.15.7 Crucial 1TB primary SSD, 500GB Samsung T5 SSD ext Audio drive,dual 27" displays, Reaper 64 bit latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie MR8 Mk 3 8" Monitors and Mackie VLZ 1404 mixer. 30 years in Audio.
rdesanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
divedive

I have a mac mini late 2014, maxed out specs and reaper runs great - better than pro tools. I'm a full-time sound designer and my home rig is this mac mini. In some ways I prefer it to my older G5 at work.

Also, I'd say that if you're maxing out your machine, it's prudent to take a look at your project and ask why you really need so many tracks and plugins. Do they all serve a unique purpose? A common beginner mistake is to just keep adding tracks and plugins to fill out the mix. It may do that, but it really will result in a lesser mix, much of the time.

I think in general, as your skills and ear develop, you actually can get by with lesser machines. Take a listen to some material you really like and think about how you could reproduce that with as few tracks and plugins as you possible can. I bet your mac mini can handle that. Also, Reaper has a TON of workflow / resource management tools that help you get the most out of what you have. (I'd say Reaper may be best in class for that.)
divedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #9
joelsampson

I agree with the rest of the thread. I have the last i7 model they made, upgraded it to 16G of RAM. I mostly use a PC with Windows 10, but sometimes use the Mac. Reaper and everything runs well. I edit some video using Final Cut Pro X on it as well.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
BenK-msx

I have just joined the Mac mini club and must thank Serr and Geoff and others for their knowledge of the ins and outs of which is a decent system to choose.

Got me a late 2012 i7 quad 2.3ghz 16gb ram, and came with a fusion drive.
This and the new rme drivers (Babyface) optimised for Sierra OS is an up to date kick-ass retro system of 2012 era hardware!

Am looking FWD to this combo doing good stuff, as long as hardware holds out!

Last edited by BenK-msx; 08-15-2017 at 04:11 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
vanhaze

Seems to me just a fine system for production work in Reaper, hooray 4 U !
Old 08-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
BenK-msx

Cheers:
I May sounded bit smug so apologies but it's basically my 40th birthday gift, and part of an 'i don't want to spend all day configuring my pc or googlin for components to get any more' and creating a music performance enhancing focused environment for me and some lucky others! Want the tech to get out of the way, dissapear yet be powerful on demand!
Old 08-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
trevlyns

Bought an old 2007 bog standard mini just to try a Mac. 2 Ghz core 2 duo and just 2 gigs of RAM. I only paid 70 quid but changed the HD to 120 gig SSD.

I'm not a huge consumer of tracks but it's faultless on projects of about 20 to 30. Very happy
Old 08-24-2017, 04:13 AM   #14
BenK-msx

Question for Mac users:

I am Getting things going on Mac mini and Sierra and noticing a sort of annoying delayed reaction to calls for Windows in reaper etc:

E.g Click item properties or hit f2 and there is a hesitation before dialog appears. Not a huge problem but when zipping around in full flow I fear it's a bit too much like syrup.

Windows OS didn't exhibit this btw.

Any clues?
Old 08-24-2017, 04:45 AM   #15
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
I am Getting things going on Mac mini and Sierra and noticing a sort of annoying delayed reaction to calls for Windows in reaper etc:

E.g Click item properties or hit f2 and there is a hesitation before dialog appears. Not a huge problem but when zipping around in full flow I fear it's a bit too much like syrup.

Windows OS didn't exhibit this btw.

Any clues?
1. Sierra is somewhat `more hesitative' than previous OS X versions. That is: when you open a window or a menu there is a bit of delay and animation before it shows. This may annoy you or not. check Finder's behaviour to be sure if that's not the case. On two my macs Reaper and Finder add perceivable delay to menus and it's about the same.

2. I heard that Fusion drives are slow. If your Windows computer has a nice SSD, you may be able to tell the difference.

Last edited by Vasily; 08-24-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:12 AM   #16
BenK-msx

Thanks, have found a few tweaks from scouring the forum and it seems a little better. Will likely not notice when acclimatised..
Starting to not instinctively head top right of windows to get shot of them..

As for ssd I did want one and considered getting mini then a new ssd and just installing it but then i saw the surgery required to install on a mini and didn't want that to be my first job when the whole idea is to reduce the tech faffing % !
An SSD will happen tho at some point.