Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Thonex
Human being with feelings

Default Stop Reaper from looping audio or extending audio range

Hi guys,

Ok, so I figured out how to stop Reaper from looping audio items when I don't want it to. However, I would like to also stop if from extending the item's length beyond the actual recording. Is that possible?

Here is what I mean, the actual audio ends but I am able to drag the tail of the item to the right and create a longer region but there is actually no audio behind it. Is there a setting is Reaper to limit an items/regions length the its underlying content?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Is there a setting is Reaper to limit an items/regions length the its underlying content?
Not sure if it's possible to limit the Dragging Action itself to stop at the item content length (since you can't assign any Custom Actions to the [Media Item Edge] [left drag] Mouse Modifier).

But maybe this Action might be useful in some cases: Item: Set items length to source media lengths
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:09 AM   #3
EvilDragon

Disable all Loop source options in Preferences->Project->Media Item Defaults.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Disable all Loop source options in Preferences->Project->Media Item Defaults.
Thanks guys,

ED, while that Prefs page did seem like the logical place (ad I found other goodies on that page -- thanks), it's not prohibiting me from making a region longer than it's underlying audio -- even after disabling all the loop prefs there.

Could it be somewhere else?

I'm still learning where things are "hidden" in Reaper.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 05-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Thanks guys,

ED, while that Prefs page did seem like the logical place (ad I found other goodies on that page -- thanks), it's not prohibiting me from making a region longer than it's underlying audio -- even after disabling all the loop prefs there.

Could it be somewhere else?

I'm still learning where things are "hidden" in Reaper.
How are you making your regions? When I want to create regions based on the items I use the SWS action: "SWS: Create regions from selected items (name by active take)".

I use that a lot, especially when editing samples.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
How are you making your regions? When I want to create regions based on the items I use the SWS action: "SWS: Create regions from selected items (name by active take)".

I use that a lot, especially when editing samples.
Hi Todd,

Thanks for answering. Much appreciated. Even if I simply drag/drop an audio file into Reaper, I can extend it beyond it's audio. As if the Item boundaries are not constrained by the underlying audio. So, when resizing stuff, it can be very misleading visually.

There is probably an Item, Take, Region hierarchy that I'm not yet familiar with. I'm coming from Nuendo.

Regarding your script, that's a nice script, but it doesn't stop Items from being able to be lengthened beyond their length.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Even if I simply drag/drop an audio file into Reaper, I can extend it beyond it's audio. As if the Item boundaries are not constrained by the underlying audio. So, when resizing stuff, it can be very misleading visually.
Hi Andrew, This has got me confused, you say you drag and drop an audio item, and then you say you can extend it beyond it's actual size. So you are manually readjusting the size of the items after you drag them in? May I ask why you're resizing these items?

Incidentally, that action I showed you is not a script, it's part of the many SWS actions that are available. If you haven't downloaded the SWS actions yet you'll want to do that.

And welcome on board Andrew.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #8
EvilDragon

So the options I mentioned will prevent looping the source media, but, in Reaper, you can always resize the item beyond its source length (in order to i.e. add silence when you glue the item.

You can try locking the item edges. Right click the padlock button in top left of Reaper GUI.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
Simon Kessler

Default Solution in current project

So I searched google for this and the solution is to

1.) Right click the item and go to Item Properties
2.) Un-check Loop source

Found it on another forum and I did it all at once by Ctrl+A for all of the items.
Simon Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #10
Scoox

This is one of those things that should be disabled by default. Until that happens, Reaper will continue to suck out of the box, sadly.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:23 AM   #11
Eraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
This is one of those things that should be disabled by default. Until that happens, Reaper will continue to suck out of the box, sadly.
+1 for a default option
Eraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:08 AM   #12
Vagelis

A few prereleases ago, there was a new mouse modifier where you could extend the edge to the desired length, without looping the item. I hope we will see it again and to make it to the next release, because it was very very useful.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #13
Guima793

Hi guys,

I new to Reaper (I am coming from Pro Tools) and I am struggling with this exact problem. I'd like the item length to be locked to the actual recording lenght. Has anyone figured out how to solve this issue?

I find that things can get messy extremely quickly and, as mentioned before, it can be visually misleading.
Guima793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:02 AM   #14
benmrx

Yep..., does anyone know how to stop this from happening? I've tried everything mentioned in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.03.14 AM.jpg (37.0 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by benmrx; 03-31-2021 at 09:08 AM.
benmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:04 AM   #15
garanimals

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmrx View Post
Yep..., does anyone know how to stop this from happening? I've tried everything mentioned in this thread.
Did you try locking the item as Ed suggested? I just tested it and it seems to work for me. Although you can't do anything else with the item while its locked.
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
benmrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by garanimals View Post
Did you try locking the item as Ed suggested? I just tested it and it seems to work for me. Although you can't do anything else with the item while its locked.
Yeah, I did notice that works..., but that's not really what I'm looking for. I want to be able to freely edit the item, without ever being able to pull the edges past the length of the source file.

I can't seem to find any working actions either that will remove this 'empty' space when it happens. The only thing I can do is manually adjust the edge(s).
Old 04-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #17
benmrx

IMO, this is a NASTY side effect of how Reaper handles this scenario. CROSSFADES. Take a look at this image...

You may be forgiven for thinking that Reaper is crossfading between two pieces/chunks of audio.... however... it isn't.

You can see that it isn't creating a true crossfade by moving these two items to different tracks. When you move the items you will see what Reaper has done in the background.

Look at the image below and you will see that Reaper extended the media items to fit the length of the crossfade...., but because Reaper will ALWAYS extend item edges past their source file length, what we actually have here is a fade-out into digital silence and a fade-in from digital silence. From my observation, there is NO way to prevent this from happening. So EVERY time you create a crossfade you would have to double-check the item edges.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:20 AM   #18
McSound

Also come here from Nuendo and Samplitude. Yeah, it's the strangest thing how Reaper deal with item edges, but I gonna used to it someday, maybe)
McSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #19
Thonex

Quote:
IMO, this is a NASTY side effect of how Reaper handles this scenario. CROSSFADES. Take a look at this image...

You may be forgiven for thinking that Reaper is crossfading between two pieces/chunks of audio.... however... it isn't.

You can see that it isn't creating a true crossfade by moving these two items to different tracks. When you move the items you will see what Reaper has done in the background.

Look at the image below and you will see that Reaper extended the media items to fit the length of the crossfade...., but because Reaper will ALWAYS extend item edges past their source file length, what we actually have here is a fade-out into digital silence and a fade-in from digital silence. From my observation, there is NO way to prevent this from happening. So EVERY time you create a crossfade you would have to double-check the item edges.

Yeah... I'm revisiting this thread... I wrote a script to deal with x-fading audio where there is no audio in the item. I.E. Where an item could be x-faded beyond its source audio.

Here's the script thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....16#post2177316

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 07-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #20
toores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
+1
I'm also having trouble creating fades reliably.

There really should be an option to limit item max lenth to actual audio lenth. I really wanna ditch Pro Tools, but this behaviour feels like a major bug to me.

Last edited by toores; 08-26-2022 at 03:41 AM.
toores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:35 AM   #21
toyoto

Quote:

+1, this is super boring when editing. When teaching Reaper to cinema students, it's difficult to explain why those super basic features of default-non-looping and non-extending-item-behaviour can't be set or isn't by default. Almost every DAW or video NLE doesn't allow to extend or repeat a file, it create wrong cross-fade behaviours. We manage to deal with it, but it's painful and wired. I can't ask student to install SWS extensions just for having a regular behaviour.

Also, when I set Preferences > Media Item Defaults > unticking every "loop source..." boxes, I still get the looping behaviour, why????

When this is happening, I really feel I'm using a F1 car (REAPER), but with no steering wheel!
Old 09-15-2022, 03:08 AM   #22
xpander

Quoting posts which are not totally correct in their assumptions doesn't necessary help solve things later on. As in previous example;

Quote:

Example picture above clearly shows a crossfade between two overlapping audio items. Crossfade is a crossfade regardless of if user created the fades themselves or DAW made them automatically.

Quote:
Look at the image below and you will see that Reaper extended the media items to fit the length of the crossfade...., but because Reaper will ALWAYS extend item edges past their source file length, what we actually have here is a fade-out into digital silence and a fade-in from digital silence.

Indeed. What we see in that picture are extended item end and start, corresponding with fade end and start respectively. This will happen if user adjusts the fade start and end points manually AFTER first overlapping/crossfading the items. That can be done by simply dragging the fades or using the crossfade editor. But Reaper will not do this just all by itself. On the other hand, Reaper has to do this if user wants to extend the fades beyond the overlapping area. IOW, if there is no overlapping area, it must be created.

I don't know what would really be expected otherwise? That users are not allowed to extend fades to begin with and thus items don't get adjusted either?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:20 AM   #23
toores

Is this still broken?

Last edited by toores; 06-01-2023 at 10:47 AM.
toores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 12:54 PM   #24
finalexit

Anyone found a solution to this yet?
finalexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:40 PM   #25
klong

in 14 years of using reaper this has never once been a problem for me. If you don't want the region to extend beyond it's end, don't click the edge and drag to stretch it out .. ?
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 01:53 AM   #26
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
in 14 years of using reaper this has never once been a problem for me. If you don't want the region to extend beyond it's end, don't click the edge and drag to stretch it out .. ?
Very much this! Seems like a weird "issue" to have in the first place?
Old 08-30-2023, 04:33 AM   #27
Fergler

It's not weird when you're trying to fix 100s of files to increase their length but some of them are shorter than that amount. You would want just those items to stop short of looping while still extending the items that do have content.

Big in sample editing

The action to set to source length can be useful but doesn't solve this issue.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:53 AM   #28
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
It's not weird when you're trying to fix 100s of files to increase their length but some of them are shorter than that amount. You would want just those items to stop short of looping while still extending the items that do have content.

Big in sample editing

I'm not sure I'm getting all that?
Old 08-30-2023, 02:08 PM   #29
McSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post

Big in sample editing

Is that something you want? (It may contain bugs, work with fades is not implemented) Just for testing
P.s. The script works when changing item edges with mouse
Attached Files
File Type: lua McS - Restrict Items Source Length.lua (2.8 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by McSound; 08-30-2023 at 02:31 PM.
McSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 09:10 PM   #30
finalexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
It's more after I've trimmed a clip shorter and later decided I want to extend it back out to its end. I'm coming from a workflow in Pro Tools so it's just what I'm used to.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:14 PM   #31
finalexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSound View Post
Is that something you want? (It may contain bugs, work with fades is not implemented) Just for testing
P.s. The script works when changing item edges with mouse
Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!
Old 02-04-2024, 08:20 AM   #32
b0h1

It is a HELL for me as a dialogue & sfx editor. I come from ProTools and I hardly can imagine a situation when this feature is relevant for me. Still no solution?
b0h1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:54 AM   #33
akademie

from Actions list:
Options: Limit media item edge edits to source media content for unlooped media items
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote