Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #41
airon
Human being with feelings

Did anyone mention whether VST3 plugins can use time-stamped plugin automation ?

That would solve some render problems with different blocks sizes and the subsequent difference in how they do sometimes sound, depending on the plugins.

I'll study the specs if need be, but that's what I want to know. Do VST3 plugins use time-stamped automation ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #42
medicine tactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Did anyone mention whether VST3 plugins can use time-stamped plugin automation ?

That would solve some render problems with different blocks sizes and the subsequent difference in how they do sometimes sound, depending on the plugins.

I'll study the specs if need be, but that's what I want to know. Do VST3 plugins use time-stamped automation ?
Steinberg's VST3 page says:

Quote:
Sample-accurate automation - VST3 also features vastly improved parameter automation with sample accuracy and support for ‘ramped’ automation data, allowing completely accurate and rapid parameter automation changes.
My guess is that that means the protocol allows the host to pass in a plugin-processing-block's-worth of the the parameter's envelope, so the plugin can sample-accurately interpolate the parameter value change over the course of a block. Or something like that.
medicine tactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #43
semiquaver

@airon, now you are making me paranoid!

Are plugs including vstis only receiving automation updates at block boundaries ??

do we have control of rendering block size?
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #44
medicine tactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
@airon, now you are making me paranoid!

Are plugs including vstis only receiving automation updates at block boundaries ??
Yes

Quote:
do we have control of rendering block size?
No

Or at least, the rendering block size is the audio buffer size. Some DAWs let you adjust them independently, but Reaper unfortunately currently does not.

Edit: Er, scratch that. We do have control over the rendering block size (preferences->audio->rendering). But not the playback block size.

The thing is, if you can't hear the precision when you're editing the automation, it's not much consolation if the precision is there when you're rendering.

I admit it makes me uneasy that in order to maintain accurate automation playback you must always use reasonably good audio hardware. Luckily that hasn't been a problem for me yet. I try not to think about it

Last edited by medicine tactic; 04-10-2013 at 10:51 PM.
medicine tactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #45
coolios
Banned

Yes they do as I use some of them in Presonus Studio one.

They use time-stamped plugin automation.

VST3 is going to be an epic challenge to work properly in Reaper. VST3 was made for and is for conventional Daw's with track type standards as the VSt plugin now has more power than before and changes internally to Mono/ Stereo or surround but the Daw has to have the track types as Reaper is very different than most daw's

time for a big change with Reaper, time to get it to have the same workflows as all other Daw's.

The reason why the 2 channel tracks were added in Reaper was so that the Devs did not have to make a complicated Mixer, however going with the "Easy" way out ends up costing a lot in the end.

Adding a MONO track to a daw is such a basic workflow in every daw except Reaper.

So let's say that to support VST3 reaper would have to have 1 channel tracks, and maybe even track types, what is such a big deal with track types that the Dev's keep dodging that question?

Why can't Reaper have a 1 channel track
Why can't Reaper have track types + the normal tracks.

These questions go into the heart of how reaper was made and perhaps some decisions were wrong!!

Last edited by coolios; 04-12-2013 at 01:49 AM.
coolios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #46
n0rd

So Steinberg says "jump" and all the hosts need to say "how high?"... Funk that...
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #47
KenC

What amazes me is how in the frack people don't know not to sockpuppet, shill, spin or alias to troll from their main IP; And if you go to that much trouble, don't leave a trail of personal identifying grammar or identical posts on multiple outlets.

Seriously, we've had the Interweb tubes for like 30 years now, when you rob a bank you put in a ski mask, speak with an accent and you don't use your credit card to cash the loot
Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #48
karbomusic

Quote:
What amazes me is how in the frack people don't know not to sockpuppet, shill, spin or alias to troll from their main IP; And if you go to that much trouble, don't leave a trail of personal identifying grammar or identical posts on multiple outlets.
Maybe we'll get lucky and the IP will get blocked or we'll just have to continue to suffer forum degradation. Makes it less fun to participate and contribute due to the risk of constant vitriol in almost any thread topic.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #49
prezbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolios View Post
These questions go into the heart of how reaper was made and perhaps some decisions were wrong!!
Thanks, Dan. You've now completely hijacked what I was trying to do.

Seriously- I'm a pretty easy going guy- why don't you just simply go away? Your brand of "push" is nothing of the sort.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #50
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Maybe we'll get lucky and the IP will get blocked or we'll just have to continue to suffer forum degradation. Makes it less fun to participate and contribute due to the risk of constant vitriol in almost any thread topic.
And I thought you and I - re: both from somewhat argumentative and opinionated families and having inherited some of that - were hard headed.

Apparently we're just amatures. The phrase "let it go" doesnt seem to even exist in Dan's world.

Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
And I thought you and I - re: both from somewhat argumentative and opinionated families and having inherited some of that - were hard headed.

Apparently we're just amatures. The phrase "let it go" doesnt seem to even exist in Dan's world.
Well at least you and I change the subject from time to time and at minimum find a stopping point ��
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #52
coolios
Banned

Hijacking means redirecting like the other people have done here

every post I made here has VST3 on it while the others obviously do not want VST3 or are in denial.

That is the difference.

Again When is VST3 going to be in Reaper?

Last post .
coolios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #53
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolios View Post
Hijacking means redirecting like the other people have done here

every post I made here has VST3 on it while the others obviously do not want VST3 or are in denial.

That is the difference.

Again When is VST3 going to be in Reaper?
Odd, most of us don't take things so far we have to change usernames, telling. ��