Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #41
70srocker
Human being with feelings

I have the Original and The Tube MP Studio. Never had a problem with either of them...had them for years.
70srocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #42
Hardrock69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
well let me be clear. If I'm a client at a pro studio paying $50+/hour and they want to put anything through an ART MP, I'm going to have a problem with it.

If a bedroom-producer needs to add a few no-frills pre-amps to his set up, there's a place for these.

Not necessarily. The lack of a switch doesn't effect sound or functionality at all. However if you're trying to make the world's most affordable preamp and you're turning out milliions of units, the price of a 10cent switch starts to add up. Like the phase reversal button, it would be nice and convenient if it was there, but really doesn't hurt anything by not being there.

The other end of the argument, which is a little counter intuitive because we're talking about a consumer level product, is that many of us rack up our gear and run it off power conditioners which become the "master switch" for everything plugged into them. As you've seemed to figure out.

The lack of a power switch is not something I would find worth complaining about. I'd call it a niggle but never a deal breaker. I guess because I've gotten used to cheap gear not having them. Even the pricier presonus TubePre, that everybody but me seems to favor over the ART, doesn't have one.

(BTW, I've formally decided to keep the ART MP in rotation as my cheapy back-up pre while sending off my TubePre to be disected and resurected by my engineer friend. He's says I'm allowed to wind my own transformer for the upgrades, but it will be an AC noise filtering transformer, not in the signal chain, those we'll buy from the pros but still, WEEEEEEEEEEE!)
I agree with you on all of the above.

What I meant when I said "but no complain about it not being pro gear, eh?" was that d.gauss goes out of his way to call it a worthless piece of junky crap that is not really even worthy to use as a doorstop but he uses it for one because he hates it so much..., whereas you simply make a rational statement that it is not a pro piece of gear, but you are not going to kick up a fuss over that, and it does serve a purpose in the world of audio gear, i.e., basic, no frills, lo-cost mic-pre.
Hardrock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #43
DONNY

silly question, but if you took the tube out of this thing would it still function? the unit that is.
DONNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #44
pcmusicpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
well let me be clear. If I'm a client at a pro studio paying $50+/hour and they want to put anything through an ART MP, I'm going to have a problem with it.
If clients paid me $50+/hour I'll give them an Avalon!
pcmusicpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #45
Sid Chip

I have 2 art mp's. For me they do -alright- for whenever I need them they've worked ok. One issue, to maybe be aware of if you have a dead one, I had one stop working, I thought the tube might be the issue so I opened it up, noticed there are 2 "ribbon" cables (5 pins each) that are of poor quality. They aren't very long (they connect top controls to pcb) and the wire breaks easily. I broke one opening it, and the other was already broken. I opened my other and broke it easily too. I ended up soldering in some nicer (and a bit longer) single wires and they came back to life.

Sid
Sid Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #46
Sheppola

I've had the TubeMP for quite a while now.Absolute bargain.I wasn't really looking for a preamp but needed a 48v phantom power supply for a large Diaphragm mic I wanted so the added valve warmth was a two for one bonus.
Also I can leave my guitar and mic plugged in and just use the Phantom power button on and off to choose what I use
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #47
ivansc

I picked up a Tube MP project series for pretty much nothing and for what it is it works just fine as an instrument DI and a `no-frills but ok if you dont push it too hard` preamp.

And for what it is worth I tried the Mackie Onyx route a while back and sold the thing on VERY soon after I got it.
Mackie got a reputation for having good clean pres during the Made in the USA VLZ etc etc era and unfortunately they have been living off it ever since.
People often forgot to mention that the REST of the mixer and the actual SOUND of the pres left a lot to be desired.
But I have to confess that until I bought my beloved little Dynacord Powermate I had used a 1202VLZPro for live work with my duo and when working solo.
But record with it?????

And as is always the way, opinions ARE like A$$holes.
Everyone has one.

Last edited by ivansc; 06-23-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I karnt spel vere gude
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #48
cubase

There's this interesting thread over at gearsluts

Art tube vs 2000 dollar Great River

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...eat-river.html

The ART tube is winning
cubase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #49
Hardrock69

Lotsa peeps in that blind test who are not trashing the Art.
Hardrock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #50
Serenitynow

funny how ppl voted the ART MP the winner b4 things were revealed, then after the reveal ppl started voting for the more expensive one!!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #51
vassago

ROFL ...

Gear snobs refuse to admit their bank breaking toys are not much better than budget gear. That must be on hell of a blow to the ego

Enough said...

I have been using my Tube MP Studio V3 on a daily basis for the past 2 years without a hitch, and it sounds good

Last edited by vassago; 06-24-2011 at 11:48 AM.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #52
ugh

I have ART Tube to use for microphones and I never had an issue with it so far.
I like the sound of it.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #53
DONNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNY View Post
silly question, but if you took the tube out of this thing would it still function? the unit that is.
DONNY is offline   Reply With Quote