Old 11-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Muka
Human being with feelings

Default Zoom R-24 problem [5.62]

I just upgraded to 5.62 from 5.52 and now i cannot get my Zoom R24 to control Reaper faders etc.
5.52 worked perfect yesterday and this morning I upgraded and now I tried everything I know and still can't get it to work. Did something drastic changed in 5.62 or if anyone have any ideas please comment. Thanks for any help.
Muka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
solger

I'm assuming the Zoom is set up as Control Surface under Control/OSC/web.
So did you already try to either re-select the Zoom MIDI input/output there? Or to [Remove] the Control Surface entry & then [Add] it new?
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Muka

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
I'm assuming the Zoom is set up as Control Surface under Control/OSC/web.
So did you already try to either re-select the Zoom MIDI input/output there? Or to [Remove] the Control Surface entry & then [Add] it new?
I tried to remove and reinstall the Control Surface entry but I noticed that the "Apply" icon is grayed out in that window. Even if I remove and add, I don't get the option to use the "Apply" button since it is grayed out. After I edit the Mackie Control Universal and add the Midi Input and output to Zoom R16_24 Audio Interface, Reaper pop up a window telling "Control Surface Error opening Midi outputs.
I can hear the outputs coming out of the Master track when I play tracks from Reaper but I cannot use any of the "Faders" on the Zoom R24 to control the faders in Reaper. I also match the inputs on all the Tracks in Reaper to match the inputs in R24 but still don't have control of the faders. I have to manually adjust the faders in Reaper. I would like to use the faders on the Zoom R24.

Last edited by Muka; 11-19-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
I tried to remove and reinstall the Control Surface entry but I noticed that the "Apply" icon is grayed out in that window. Even if I remove and add, I don't get the option to use the "Apply" button since it is grayed out.
The [Apply] button is also greyed out here in this case - so this seems to be the normal behavior.
Press the [OK] button instead to save the changes and close the Preferences window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muka View Post
After I edit the Mackie Control Universal and add the Midi Input and output to Zoom R16_24 Audio Interface, Reaper pop up a window telling "Control Surface Error opening Midi outputs.
Such an error message usually indicates that the same MIDI input/output - in this case the Output - are already enabled or in use elsewhere.
So go to Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices first and make sure that the Zoom MIDI inputs/outputs are disabled there, before selecting them as input/output for the Mackie Control Universal entry.

If this doesn't solve the problem, check if there are any other applications running besides Reaper which might be already using the Zoom as MIDI input/output, just in case.

Last edited by solger; 11-19-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
Muka

Quote:
The [Apply] button is also greyed out here in this case - so this seems to be the normal behavior.
Press the [OK] button instead to save the changes and close the Preferences window.

Such an error message usually indicates that the same MIDI input/output - in this case the Output - are already enabled or in use elsewhere.
So go to Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices first and make sure that the Zoom MIDI inputs/outputs are disabled there, before selecting them as input/output for the Mackie Control Universal entry.

If this doesn't solve the problem, check if there are any other applications running besides Reaper which might be already using the Zoom as MIDI input/output, just in case.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I checked the MIDI Devices under Audio in the preference window and both outputs are inputs are disabled.
Now I don't get the error message but I still cannot control the faders in Reaper from the R24. Is there another setting I'm missing? Thanks again for helping.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
I checked the MIDI Devices under Audio in the preference window and both outputs are inputs are disabled.
Now I don't get the error message but I still cannot control the faders in Reaper from the R24. Is there another setting I'm missing? Thanks again for helping.
Try if restarting Reaper (or even rebooting your computer, as well) makes any difference, just in case.

In general, if you haven't (accidentally) changed any settings on the Zoom itself since the last time it was working, then setting up the Zoom as Control Surface under Control/OSC/web should usually be enough.

Otherwise try to make a fresh portable Reaper install to a separate folder (side-by-side to your existing Reaper install) with the same or an older Reaper version to check if the problem is the same there:
- https://reaperblog.net/2015/07/reape...nstall-option/
- https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php

Last edited by solger; 11-19-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Muka

Quote:
Try if restarting Reaper (or even rebooting your computer, as well) makes any difference, just in case.

In general, if you haven't (accidentally) changed any settings on the Zoom itself since the last time it was working, then setting up the Zoom as Control Surface under Control/OSC/web should usually be enough.

Otherwise try to make a fresh portable Reaper install to a separate folder (side-by-side to your existing Reaper install) with the same or an older Reaper version to check if the problem is the same there:
- https://reaperblog.net/2015/07/reape...nstall-option/
- https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php
Update:
I reinstalled 5.52 and no change. I then installed back 5.62 and still same. Rebooted the computer after every install and no change. Looks like I'm at my end. Thanks for helping anyway.
Is there anyway to attach pictures? I would like to show my settings.
Preference > Audio> Device: I have Zoom R16_24 AISO Driver. Inputs 1 thru 8 for Inputs.
Output Range: 1 Output Channel and 2: Output Channel.

Control/OSC/Web: Mackie Control > Mackie Control Universal > Midi iput and output as Zoom R16_24 Audio Interface.

OK - finally got it to work. I can adjust the faders in Reaper from the R24.
This is strange. I had 2 cables connecting to insert 1 and 2 on the R24. I unplugged them and plugged them back and now everything works.
I will reboot and see if everything changes. Will report after reboot.

Well that's a bummer. I rebooted after shutting down the R24 and now I'm back to square one. Can't get the faders to work. I don't know what is going on. Plugged in the cables and uninstalled them and nothing. There is something going on after I reboot.
Either Reaper sucks or Zoom R24 sucks.
The Zoom R24 came with a version of Cubase. I will install it and try it out.
It's a shame, I already purchased Reaper.

Last edited by Muka; 11-19-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Is there anyway to attach pictures? I would like to show my settings.
Info about posting attachments & screenshots can be found here (post #1 and #2): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670

Quote:
Well that's a bummer. I rebooted after shutting down the R24 and now I'm back to square one. Can't get the faders to work.
Is the Zoom already connected and/or powered on before opening Reaper?

Since you're using the Zoom as Audio Interface, as well: maybe also re-check the setup steps mentioned in the Audio Interface manual (second link in the Documents list)
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/pro...pler#downloads

Quote:
I reinstalled 5.52 and no change. I then installed back 5.62 and still same.
Just to clarify: did you do a reinstall over your existing Reaper install?

Or did you also try making a fresh portable install, as suggested (to check if something in your current Reaper configuration might have been messed up somehow)?

Last edited by solger; 11-20-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #9
Muka

Quote:
Info about posting attachments & screenshots can be found here (post #1 and #2): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670

Is the Zoom already connected and/or powered on before opening Reaper?

Since you're using the Zoom as Audio Interface, as well: maybe also re-check the setup steps mentioned in the Audio Interface manual (second link in the Documents list)
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/pro...pler#downloads

Just to clarify: did you do a reinstall over your existing Reaper install?

Or did you also try making a fresh portable install, as suggested (to check if something in your current Reaper configuration might have been messed up somehow)?
1) Yes R24 is powered, and in Audio Interface mode prior to opening Reaper. I can see the "USB" Icon telling me it is connected to the computer.

2) I did double checked the setup in both Audio device and Control/OSC/Web and they are both correct.

3) I uninstalled Reaper 5,62 then installed back the 5.52. I could have had the same problem with 5.52 because I got it to work late that night and did not reboot the computer that time to check if worked after reboot. Next morning first thing after starting up the computer, I upgraded to 5.62 first before checking with R24 to see if worked as the night before. After the installation of 5.62, I could not get it to work so I assumed that 5.52 worked perfect. Now I'm finding out that after rebooting the computer, I cannot get it to work. Tried over 2 hours last night and gave up.
Before Installing new versions I always do an Uninstall of the previous first via Control Panel.
No, I did not installed a portable version. I can try that this afternoon to see if it makes a difference.
I can't explain what is going on and it is very frustrating. I will try to call Zoom this morning but I'm sure they will tell me it may not be fully compatibly with Reaper.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #10
Muka

Update:
Spoke to Tech Support at Zoom and the Guy told me that they are not fully supporting Reaper and could be that is the reason for not supporting is because of the inconsistency.
My question is: Is there anyone here having no problem with Reaper and Zoom R24 or is the guy just brushing me off?

Update 11/21/17:
I reinstalled Reaper and Portable Reaper and reinstalled the R24 Driver, checked R24 has the latest Firmware.
With Reaper running, and the R24 in Audio Interface mode, anytime I try to access the Preferences, Reaper would freeze (Not Responding). After I end the Reaper process, my computer will freeze and I have to do a "Force" shutdown by pressing and holding the Power Switch.
I really think this is a Reaper issue. The R24 works fine until I connect to Reaper.
I know this is a Forum but is there a Support team I can contact for help?

Last edited by Muka; 11-21-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
solger

Quote:
The Zoom R24 came with a version of Cubase. I will install it and try it out.
Quote:
I really think this is a Reaper issue. The R24 works fine until I connect to Reaper.
Have you already tried using the Zoom with the included Cubase version? Is it working fine there?

Quote:
I know this is a Forum but is there a Support team I can contact for help?
See Contact info at the bottom of the page: https://www.cockos.com/
Old 11-22-2017, 03:56 AM   #12
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

First off, what is your operating system/platform?

Quote:
Now I'm finding out that after rebooting the computer, I cannot get it to work.
Change a random setting/checkbox in Preferences and memorize that change. Reboot the computer and restart REAPER. Did the change stick? If not, REAPER doesn't have sufficient permissions to write to its own reaper.ini file -> UAC/permissions trouble.

Quote:
Before Installing new versions I always do an Uninstall of the previous first via Control Panel.
That's not necessary. Please note that uninstalling/reinstalling won't remove any bad settings, you can reset the configuration in "'Start Menu->Programs->Reaper->Reaper (reset configuration data to factory defaults)' but make sure you have a backup of your "resource folder" (the one that pops up when you click Options->"Show REAPER resource folder in Finder/Explorer") first.

Installing a second copy of REAPER to its own folder as "portable" install is the "soft version" of that reset (because it doesn't touch your existing installation). However, if you caught some UAC problem, it would be interesting how the portable install turns out.

Quote:
I will try to call Zoom this morning but I'm sure they will tell me it may not be fully compatibly with Reaper.
Several REAPER users are using an R16/24 successfully. There's even a Wiki article about setting it up:

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Zoom_R16_R24
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:33 AM   #13
Muka

Quote:
Have you already tried using the Zoom with the included Cubase version? Is it working fine there?

See Contact info at the bottom of the page: https://www.cockos.com/
Yes, I loaded Cubase yesterday and was able to adjust the faders from my R24. I went thru many options and my computer did not freeze anytime. Also Cubase did not froze during my testing.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #14
Muka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
First off, what is your operating system/platform?
Win7, 64bits with 16GB memory. 550GB SSD drive.

Quote:
Change a random setting/checkbox in Preferences and memorize that change. Reboot the computer and restart REAPER. Did the change stick? If not, REAPER doesn't have sufficient permissions to write to its own reaper.ini file -> UAC/permissions trouble.
I am the only user for the computer and I'm logged on as ADMIN since there is no password setup. Just for argument sake, Reaper does not have sufficient permission to write to its own Reaper.ini file, how do I fix this?

Quote:
That's not necessary. Please note that uninstalling/reinstalling won't remove any bad settings, you can reset the configuration in "'Start Menu->Programs->Reaper->Reaper (reset configuration data to factory defaults)' but make sure you have a backup of your "resource folder" (the one that pops up when you click Options->"Show REAPER resource folder in Finder/Explorer") first.
I will check this later today when I get home

Quote:
Installing a second copy of REAPER to its own folder as "portable" install is the "soft version" of that reset (because it doesn't touch your existing installation). However, if you caught some UAC problem, it would be interesting how the portable install turns out.
I did install the portable and I am having the same issue.

Several REAPER users are using an R16/24 successfully. There's even a Wiki article about setting it up:

Last edited by Muka; 11-22-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:52 AM   #15
frood

I'm using an R16 with Reaper and getting the faders to works is very hit and miss. I found disabling and the enabling the R16 under MIDI Devices is the best way to get it to respond. However, I tend not to bother now as I am used to using the mouse for everything.
frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #16
Muka

Quote:
Originally Posted by frood View Post
I'm using an R16 with Reaper and getting the faders to works is very hit and miss. I found disabling and the enabling the R16 under MIDI Devices is the best way to get it to respond. However, I tend not to bother now as I am used to using the mouse for everything.
Well, I'm still not able to use the faders on the R24 to control the Faders in Reaper.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
Muka

[QUOTE=Ollie;1915635]First off, what is your operating system/platform?

Quote:
I changed some settings and after reboot, the changes are there, so no UAC problem

Quote:

I followed the link and all my settings are same. Still no go.
Also I noticed that if you have Reaper open and you exit the Audio interface on the R24, the computer freeze and the only way to get it going is to do a hard reboot by holding down the power button.
If Reaper is closed and I exit, no problem. This is telling me that there is a problem with Reaper. This really sucks.

Last edited by Muka; 11-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.