Old 10-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
not_so_new
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Default Auto Assign Tracks Based On Name

Hi all

I always use sub mixes for tracks - Drums raw, Drums compressed, Bass, Guitars, Clean, Lead Vox, and BG Vox. None of my tracks go to the master section, they are all routed through one of these submix bus groups.

So as an example, a majority of my sessions don't have horns so I don't want to add that to a template. But some sessions come in with horns so I want to add a track and as soon as I name it "Sax" I want it to get the proper color, the track icon (both already working with SWS Extensions), I don't want the track assigned to the master section and I would like a send set up to go to the "Clean" buss a 0 dB.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance
not_so_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
not_so_new
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Default

Bump.... is there any way to do the above?

Thanks in advance
not_so_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings
 
foxAsteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Axis Mundi
Posts: 4,965
Default

What's wrong with just creating a horns track template? I assume you're talking about your project template that you don't want uncommon tracks in. You could have the horns routed to a "clean buss" track the way you want and ready to import as a track template (can be multiple routed tracks).

If you wanted to type the name in and have the routing magically happen automatically, you'd need a custom script.
__________________
TwilightMysterySchool
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Philbo King
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,033
Default

The simplest way is to create a folder track like Horns Submix and put your horn tracks in that. It handles all needed routing for you except effects and sidechain sends. For track coloring and icons there is a SWS extension that will do this if you take the time to tell it what colors and icons to use.

Using submix folders will route the submix to the master by default (you mention you don't want the horns to reach the master bus.... Does that mean you don't want horns in your mix? Why add the track then?).
__________________
Tangent Studio - Philbo King
www.soundclick.com/philboking - stream music
www.facebook.com/philboking - gigs and news
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
not_so_new
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
The simplest way is to create a folder track like Horns Submix and put your horn tracks in that. It handles all needed routing for you except effects and sidechain sends.
Isn't that what I am doing though? Maybe I do things differently but if I am doing a group FX I set that FX up on the a track and send other tracks to that track.

Quote:
For track coloring and icons there is a SWS extension that will do this if you take the time to tell it what colors and icons to use.
As I said, I already have that set up, thanks. The point is I would like to get the track sends to work the same way as the colors and icons.

Quote:
Using submix folders will route the submix to the master by default (you mention you don't want the horns to reach the master bus.... Does that mean you don't want horns in your mix? Why add the track then?).
I don't use my master bus at all. I send all tracks to a main track in the session that I create. Tracks > into > sub mixes > into > my custom master track. I use a LOT of external hardware on my sessions, including on my master and it's just easier for me to use reainsert and record the track output than it is to work out a bounce on the Reaper master.
not_so_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
not_so_new
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
What's wrong with just creating a horns track template? I assume you're talking about your project template that you don't want uncommon tracks in. You could have the horns routed to a "clean buss" track the way you want and ready to import as a track template (can be multiple routed tracks).

If you wanted to type the name in and have the routing magically happen automatically, you'd need a custom script.
Ahhh.. now that's interesting. I knew I could create a template for plugins, never realized I could do that with a whole track.

So I could do that with all kinds of different tracks then.... say I need to add a new GTR track I just call up the track template and I am good. If I have that right it seems like a really good solution.
not_so_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings
 
foxAsteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Axis Mundi
Posts: 4,965
Default

Yea, but don't forget a track template can contain multiple tracks (with routing). Wasn't sure I'd made that point clear... Also, SWS provides a pretty convenient system for managing track templates called "SWS Resources." This is helpful if you already have tracks in your project that you just want to conform to a saved template, among other things.
__________________
TwilightMysterySchool
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 5,194
Default

Track templates are really great and powerful because you can have effects pre-configured on them and routings. Don't forget project templates also.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.