Old 11-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #41
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Currently there is no facility to reset the envelope. Possibly we could use a CC or audio channel to do this. I would add another control (Envelope Reset). You would use the control input to choose the CC or audio channel and the unit multiplier to set a threshold value. Internally this would just reset the stage number to 1, so it would work with any trigger mode.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #42
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Currently there is no facility to reset the envelope. Possibly we could use a CC or audio channel to do this. I would add another control (Envelope Reset). You would use the control input to choose the CC or audio channel and the unit multiplier to set a threshold value. Internally this would just reset the stage number to 1, so it would work with any trigger mode.
envelope could also be reset by a note ex : C1 ?
Bug still here : I tried version 3.06 and every slider move changes the controler input value. I don't think that's the expected behavior.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tx...Y-tyL14P25gbc1
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #43
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
envelope could also be reset by a note ex : C1 ?
Yes, that should also be possible.

Quote:
Bug still here : I tried version 3.06 and every slider move changes the controler input value. I don't think that's the expected behavior.
Hmm, I had it fixed on the instance I was editing, but when I add a new instance, the bug reappears. I'll have to look further. Unfortunately I have limited time at the moment, but I'll see what I can do. I have found that if you re-select the input value, it will retain that value until you activate another stage.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #44
Time Waster

I found the same offending piece of code in another location and corrected it. I tested it with a new instance and it seems to work this time, but please check. Update in the stash as usual.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #45
Time Waster

I have attempted to reproduce the trigger bug using the virtual MIDI keyboard. I was not able to reproduce the exact same behaviour, but I did find some other weird stuff going on of a similar nature, so I should be able to track it down.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #46
Time Waster

I found and fixed a bug producing incorrect 'at rest' output values. The at rest signal value should be the value of the end point of the envelope (which does not have to be zero). I also added a feature causing the end point control value to be sent out if the last point on the envelope is moved and the envelope is not running. This may allow the end value to be monitored.

@dupont I'm still not able to reproduce the trigger bug, but I'm hoping that these last few bug fixes may help. Please let me know if the problem persists. It is possible that it may be to do with the output from the hardware controller, so we may need to look at that.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:38 AM   #47
dupont

This morning trial result :

trigger bug is still here : I must put a clip with some notes inside and hit play to make it work again.
Slider issue seems OK.
it noticed another bug :
Assign control input to CC71
control : stage end point
if I move CC71 stage end point moves : OK

Assign control input to off
if I move CC71 stage end point still moves : not OK (should not move because non more CC assigned)

Assign control input to CC74 (not on the video)
if I move CC71 stage end point moves : not OK as control is now assign to CC74.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_b...jESHl4WrvoOyQH
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #48
Time Waster

Thanks again dupont, I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Looks like I've fixed one problem but created another.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #49
Time Waster

@dupont, I am able to reproduce the latest bug you have found. It may take me a couple of days to go back over the twisted logic I have used to keep track of all the input values for each control and figure out how to fix it. Please bear with me
Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #50
Time Waster

Seems I was being pessimistic. A new version is in the stash for testing. I definitely did cause the control input bug in the last round of updates.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #51
dupont

You did a great job.
I did not find bugs this morning in the last version.

May I suggest some suggestions to improve the plugin :

drop down menu is too long, there is a bunch of audio inputs and CCs in the list. Perhaps cut the menu in half, one row for audio and one for CC ?
Envelope reset in sequential mode (as already discussed)
chromatic mode, add an option to fix the note ouput. The idea is to trigger each segment with a different note (C1,C#1,D1...) but the note sent to the plugin instrument will be a fixed note (ex : C1). The idea is to trigger several segment variation with different notes without changing the note played by the instrument.
Edit : independant segments would be usefull.

Last edited by dupont; 11-17-2018 at 05:17 AM. Reason: add infos
Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #52
TonE

Thanks TimeWaster, only stash, no Reapack?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #53
Time Waster

Quote:
You did a great job.
I did not find bugs this morning in the last version.

May I suggest some suggestions to improve the plugin :

drop down menu is too long, there is a bunch of audio inputs and CCs in the list. Perhaps cut the menu in half, one row for audio and one for CC ?
At some stage I want to redesign the UI for all of the ReaRack modules, so I will look into this issue when I get around to it.

Quote:
Envelope reset in sequential mode (as already discussed)
I will tackle this next. A question though, do you want the the reset note to also retrigger the envelope, or just reset it and wait for the next note after that?

Quote:
chromatic mode, add an option to fix the note ouput. The idea is to trigger each segment with a different note (C1,C#1,D1...) but the note sent to the plugin instrument will be a fixed note (ex : C1). The idea is to trigger several segment variation with different notes without changing the note played by the instrument.
May I suggest that rather than add this feature to the envelope module, you can use an instance of the Signal Processor module after the Envelope Multi-tool to compress a range of notes to a single note value:

In this example, Input 1 and Output are both set to 'Note Value'. The upper and lower limits for the Output have been set to the same value, so the values of all incoming notes are compressed to a single value.

Note, I have recently updated this module so please get the latest version (3.05) from the stash.

Quote:
independant segments would be usefull.
This would be a major redesign of the module, but I'll have a think about it. As a workaround, you can always make every second stage very short (set to zero length), but you would then be limited to effectively 8 stages and you would need to send 2 notes to advance the envelope.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #54
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Thanks TimeWaster, only stash, no Reapack?
I will be adding this to ReaPack when it's a little less 'beta'.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:01 AM   #55
dupont

Quote:

A question though, do you want the the reset note to also retrigger the envelope, or just reset it and wait for the next note after that?
Rettriger the envelope
Old 11-20-2018, 03:07 AM   #56
dupont

Quote:

A question though, do you want the the reset note to also retrigger the envelope, or just reset it and wait for the next note after that?
I prefer rettriger the envelope

Quote:
May I suggest that rather than add this feature to the envelope module, you can use an instance of the Signal Processor module after the Envelope Multi-tool to compress a range of notes to a single note value:

In this example, Input 1 and Output are both set to 'Note Value'. The upper and lower limits for the Output have been set to the same value, so the values of all incoming notes are compressed to a single value.

Note, I have recently updated this module so please get the latest version (3.05) from the stash.
That could be a solution, I'll give a try to this module and see how it works.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #57
dupont

Thinks has improved a lot :

I set :
8 stages enveloppe with N°3,5 and 7 with a lenght set to 0.
the root note value in order to have stage 2 trigered by F3
F3 will trigger stage 2
F#3 will trigger stage 3 (0)
G3 will trigger stage 4
G#3 will trigger stage 5 (0)
A3 will trigger stage 6
A#3 will trigger stage 7 (0)
B3 will trigger stage 8

and output limit 1 & 2 signal processor to the same note value (0.425197 don't know which note name it is !).

So when I play F3, G3, A3 or B3 in any order, the corresponding stage is triggered and the same note is send to the plugin instrument (0.425197). This stages are independ from each other.
That's the behavior I wanted.
You are right this can be a workaround untill this features is implemented in the enveloppe plugin.

I noticed again a trigger issue with enveloppe plugin and have to put a midi clip and it play to make it work again.
I also noticed some hanging notes, even when Repear was stopped because of the signal processor plugin.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17m...Cu6J5yFIRSutpz
Old 11-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #58
Time Waster

@dupont, what controller are you using when the trigger issue occurs? Still looking for some clues. I notice on your first video of the issue that the envelope seems to be reacting to changes in velocity, even though it is not progressing. Also in the video, the log from ReaControlMIDI looks OK, so no clues there.

Regarding the stuck notes, I know what is causing that and I'm hoping it's a relatively easy fix. I have neglected to run note-offs through the same scaling process as the note-ons, so they aren't matching up.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #59
Time Waster

The stuck notes issue in the Signal Processor module has now been fixed.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #60
TonE

Quote:
Regarding the stuck notes, I know what is causing that and I'm hoping it's a relatively easy fix. I have neglected to run note-offs through the same scaling process as the note-ons, so they aren't matching up.
Hey, my friend, regarding stuck notes, you might have a look to 'switchable transpose' which solved this issue perfectly, I am using this for many years, without any hanging notes! So this is the perfect solution it seems, thanks to boreg. You might also just add this fx behind yours, just for testing if it helps.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:02 AM   #61
dupont

Quote:
@dupont, what controller are you using when the trigger issue occurs? Still looking for some clues. I notice on your first video of the issue that the envelope seems to be reacting to changes in velocity, even though it is not progressing. Also in the video, the log from ReaControlMIDI looks OK, so no clues there.

I'm using a ESI NEON keyboard as a controller.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #62
Time Waster

In the stash, ReaRack3:

Updated the Envelope Multi-tool module: Added an envelope reset function for the 'Single Stage - sequential' trigger mode. There is an additional control (Use MIDI Note to Restart Envelope) which allows you to set a mote value to be used to restart the envelope. You can choose any note except for MIDI note 0 (C-1), using the 'Control Multiplier' slider. Setting this slider to 0 turns this control off. The selected note is displayed in the graphics area while this trigger mode is active.

Updated the Signal Processor module: fixed a bug which potentially caused a MIDI note-on to be sent out, at startup, in certain situations.

@dupont, if not being able to use note C-1 (MIDI note 0) to re-start the envelope is an issue, let me know. I wanted to have the option to set the control to off, so that the full range of notes can be used with this trigger mode if required, without adding any additional sliders etc.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:35 AM   #63
dupont

@timewaster

Thanks for your work.
It's Ok to use note C-1.
I noticed that the note used to restart the envelope is
offset by 1 octave with the note played.
on the video, the restart note is set to C2 but the envelope restarts when C1 is played.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-w...4Fax3ezwl0OAkW

Edit : the note used to restart the envelope should not be sent to the instrument plugin.

Last edited by dupont; 11-25-2018 at 05:22 AM. Reason: add infos
Old 11-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #64
Time Waster

Quote:
@timewaster

Thanks for your work.
It's Ok to use note C-1.
I noticed that the note used to restart the envelope is
offset by 1 octave with the note played.
on the video, the restart note is set to C2 but the envelope restarts when C1 is played.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-w...4Fax3ezwl0OAkW

Edit : the note used to restart the envelope should not be sent to the instrument plugin.
I'm currently working on removing the restriction on the use of C-1, but I've got a bug to sort out.

Regarding the octave difference, unfortunately there is no definitive standard for this. I have used what seems to be Reaper's out of the box implementation of MIDI note 0 = C-1. Some manufacturers use 0 = C0 and some others use 0 = C-2. You can change how the Envelope Multi-tool behaves within the code. I'll make some notes on this later.

Regarding the note filtering, it makes no sense to me to exclude pass through for some notes and not for others. May I suggest using a note filter after the FX, for example the ReaRack2 Note Filter.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #65
Time Waster

In the stash, ReaRack3, I've updated the Envelope Multi-tool so that you can now select any note as the restart note, and fixed another bug.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #66
dupont

Quote:

Regarding the note filtering, it makes no sense to me to exclude pass through for some notes and not for others. May I suggest using a note filter after the FX, for example the ReaRack2 Note Filter.
I explain : let say I have a pattern with some C2 notes sent to the plugin instrument.
At the beginning of the clip, I insert C1 to restart the envelope, this note C1 if also sent to the instrument which not the purpose because this note should be use to only to restart the envelope and not be played.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #67
Time Waster

How about this idea: The restart note arms the envelope so that the next note sent (not the restart note) is the one that restarts the envelope. The restart note would not be passed through, but all other notes would. Because the restart not only arms the envelope, the timing of the restart note would not be critical, it just has to occur before the trigger note. I think this may be a more logical and flexible way to do it. Would that work for you?
Old 11-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #68
Time Waster

In the stash, ReaRack3, the Envelope Multi-tool has been updated so that the Restart (now Reset) Note behavior is as described in the above post. @dupont, give it a go and see if it works for you.

Regarding the displayed reset note value, if it does not match the system note value, edit the '-1' on lines 1314 and 1326 (or thereabouts) in the code. Remove the -1 (or add an integer to raise the octave value). Increase the negative integer to lower the octave value. See image below.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 AM   #69
dupont

Quote:
In the stash, ReaRack3, the Envelope Multi-tool has been updated so that the Restart (now Reset) Note behavior is as described in the above post. @dupont, give it a go and see if it works for you.

Regarding the displayed reset note value, if it does not match the system note value, edit the '-1' on lines 1314 and 1326 (or thereabouts) in the code. Remove the -1 (or add an integer to raise the octave value). Increase the negative integer to lower the octave value. See image below.
I have to replace -1 by -2 so the reset note value matches the note on the keyboard.
As you can see on the video, it works as expected :
C1 restarts the envelope at th begining of the midi clip and each C2 note trigger the next segment of the envelope : great !

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xv..._UhsnLBoP6-r1a
Old 11-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #70
dupont

@time waster

can you add pitch bend to the output destination.
I tried to convert modulation wheel datas to pitchbend with the Rearack signal processor plugin with no success.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #71
Time Waster

I found some fairly major issues with the Signal Processor MIDI output, which hopefully I have now fixed. Somehow I had pasted some multi-tool code into the signal processor, so not surprisingly it wasn't working correctly! Anyway, you should now be able to convert CC's into pitchbend.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:39 AM   #72
dupont

Quote:
I found some fairly major issues with the Signal Processor MIDI output, which hopefully I have now fixed. Somehow I had pasted some multi-tool code into the signal processor, so not surprisingly it wasn't working correctly! Anyway, you should now be able to convert CC's into pitchbend.
There is a bug in signal processor.
input 1 : CC1
output : pitch bend

result : both CCs, modulation wheel (CC33 in the log instead of CC1 ?) and pitch bend are sent together instead of only pitch bend.

Can you insert pitch bend in th envelope muli tool plugin, so no need to add signal processor ?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vI...305AJ94jqYPv6G
Old 11-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #73
Time Waster

That's not a bug, it is the correct behaviour. In ReaRack, all control signals are passed through, so that they can be reused by another module. If you specifically want to block a signal, you can use another instance the signal processor. Set one input to the signal you want to block and set the output to off.

Don't be afraid to use lots of modules. The point of ReaRack is that it's a modular system. Each module should be dedicated to a particular task. I don't really want too duplicate the functionality of one module in another.

I should add that if the CC1 output alongside the pitch bend is not actually causing a problem, don't worry about it, you are only using additional processing power to block it
Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #74
Time Waster

@dupont, I have relented and added Pitch Bend to the list of output options. I justified this decision to myself based on the fact that the ReaRack audio oscillators already accept pitch bend as a control input. This was really for compatibility with MIDI controllers, but it's a good enough reason to have it as an output option. Now I will have to add it to the other control signal generators! The update is in the stash, ReaRack3.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:33 AM   #75
dupont

@timewaster

thanks, this is very helpful and more convenient than adding several signal processor plugins.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #76
Time Waster

In the stash, ReaRack3, the Envelope Multi-tool has been updated to version 3.10. Although it looks much the same as the last version, the code has has a major revision:

It is now possible to de-couple stages from adjoining stages. To do this, in the stage definition area of the GUI, shift-left click on a curve end point to toggle the couple/de-couple state.

The way that the bezier curve control frame works is a bit different. I've attempted to make it a bit more logical and I've removed the intermediate control points which were on each leg of the control frame.

Modulation now updates each block rather than each graphics cycle, so it's smoother than previously. This requires more CPU, but I've done a bit of optimisation to keep if down as much as possible. If using modulation, the CPU load will increase with the number of stages. Increasing the number of modulations does not significantly increase CPU load as most of the work is in recalculating the envelope curve. Basically recalculation is done once per block based on a snapshot of the current state of the modulation values at that time. In other words, if you are going to modulate one thing, you may as well modulate a few more.

A GUI Help button has been added, which displays some text attempting to explain how to work the thing.

Included in the zip file is a preset file, which provides a few examples of different envelope curves.

As this was a major revision, I'm expecting a few bugs to emerge. Some existing bugs were fixed though.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:48 AM   #77
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you for new update
I'm glad that you're back
btw is fine that when I tweak on Envelope Multi-tool first or last point on first or last part it's tweaked opposite one?
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:17 AM   #78
dupont

Thanks Time Waster, I'll have a look.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:29 AM   #79
Vagelis

Hi nice work but i can't find it in the stash to download.It says the requested file does not exist.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:53 AM   #80
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Hi nice work but i can't find it in the stash to download.It says the requested file does not exist.
I got it here this morning
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34071/ReaR...dularSynth.zip