Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Zargon the Destroyer
Human being with feelings

Default Reasons to not use multi-channel tracks for drum (multi-mic) recording/editing?

Hello!

I've been away from music for a little bit and starting some stuff now made me reappraise my multi-mic/channel drum strategy.

I need to be able to comp drums because I'm not awesome at playing drums.

In the past I've grouped tracks for editing, but it seems that using a single track with X number of channels (say 6) might be easier?

What are the down sides to this method, if any? The only one I can think of is shifting items if there are any phase issues...

Any comments would be ace!

Adam

Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #2
Softshell

I assume you've watched Kenny's excellent video. That made my life a whole bunch easier. AFA phase issues you can run the individual lanes/mics/drums out to separate audio channels for processing. So far I've used the phase buttons on those channels successfully.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Philbo King

If you devote proper attention to mic placement and spend time getting the phase interaction between the mics correct, then it's the best method.

If, on the other hand, just throw up a bunch of mics, use gates on them all to control phase problems, and need to slide individual mic tracks in time to minimize phase cancellation, you are probably better off using individual tracks for each mic.

Of course you can split the audio in the FX using In/Out pins, and put phase rotator plugins in, but it becomes messy to figure out what each piece is doing and why it's there later on.

Another alternative for the 2nd paragraph scenario is to use sends to split up the multi-mic audio feeds into feeds to different tracks, then process each track sound separately. This is a usable compromise. It allows for speedy and efficient recording, while still letting you fiddle with EQ, phase and compression settings on individual mics. Since you can't see the processed waveforms it also forces you to mix with ears instead of eyes.

Last edited by Philbo King; 10-27-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Zargon the Destroyer

These are absolutely excellent replies! Thanks so much!

Old 10-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
serr

If you record "DAW style" (overdubs to the same recording "bin" track stacking up in lanes and none of the extraneous punch or comp features) and use the SWS autogroup newly recorded items, working a group of multitrack tracks is literally the same as working a single track. In this case it would be just extra work to put the tracks into a single item and route to accommodate that.

If you're into the tape deck simulating punch features or the odd Reaper comp feature, the single item with multiple tracks might be a good workaround.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Glennbo

If by "comping" the drums you mean not playing them all at once, like only recording the kick and snare in one shot, then you might only have the things that are being recorded mic'd, like the kick and snare.

If however you are trying to capture the sound of a full kit of drums, the more mics you add the more issues you will have with phase cancellation. I use four mics on my acoustic kit, with two in the RecorderMan configuration plus kick and snare spot mics.

The two RecorderMan mics are a matched pair of LDCs, both equal distance from the snare and equal distance from the kick, and I check the distance with a cable every time before recording. The other spot mics do not time align with them because of the distance difference, so I manually time align them by looking at all four waves while zoomed in real close.

The overhead and over shoulder mic tracks are in their original position on the timeline, but I slid the two spot mic tracks around until I had the peaks and valleys of the kick and snare tracks aligned with them. Before hand aligning them, they sounded OK, but became much more chunky and solid after hand aligning them.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13798682

-
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
serr

This ^^^ is the SOP for me too.

90% of the drum sound from the 2 or 3 overheads. (Sometimes I like to use a middle overhead focused on the snare. Sometimes over the shoulder.) All equal distant from the snare and kick. Then sometimes (not always though) add close spot mics for focus. And those might get moved around (in time) for phase.

The impossibly isolated drum sound thing is usually the stacking method - ie recording all the parts of the kit separately.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
This ^^^ is the SOP for me too.

90% of the drum sound from the 2 or 3 overheads. (Sometimes I like to use a middle overhead focused on the snare. Sometimes over the shoulder.) All equal distant from the snare and kick. Then sometimes (not always though) add close spot mics for focus. And those might get moved around (in time) for phase.

The impossibly isolated drum sound thing is usually the stacking method - ie recording all the parts of the kit separately.
As an experiment, I once recorded each piece of an acoustic kit, one track at a time, and while there was no phasing, and 100% isolation from one piece to the next, the drums sounded like they were played in a vacuum, which might be cool if that was an effect you were going for, but for a general genuine sounding kit, not so much.

Even subtleties like the snare wires buzzing when you hit the first tom is actually a desirable part of the sound for a whole kit, just like the thunk of an occasional piano pedal. Some imperfections like those are part of what give an instrument it's character IMO.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
Zargon the Destroyer

Hi, just to clarify, I mean to record drums using multiple mics but be able to edit (comp) the multiple tracks at the same time. Doesn't need to be drums, applies to any multi-mic set-up. Could be guitars with a few mics on a cab or whatever. Piano. Whatever.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargon the Destroyer View Post
Hi, just to clarify, I mean to record drums using multiple mics but be able to edit (comp) the multiple tracks at the same time. Doesn't need to be drums, applies to any multi-mic set-up. Could be guitars with a few mics on a cab or whatever. Piano. Whatever.

Yeah, the last bit was an aside. What I said earlier for multitrack groups of audio.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #11
SonicAxiom

for convenient drums tracking, editing and mixing, I'm using this track template:

All drum mics are recorded into a single 8-channel multi-channel file. This facilitates drums editing a lot as a single cut into the item splits the entire drumset and makes it easy to copy, move and time-stretch the drums. Each channel of the multi-channel recording is routed to his own mixing and fx processing track where I can also non-destructively correct alignment by inserting the "JS: time adjustment" plugin.

After the recording session and before removing all carefully placed drum mics, I record each drum element on its own in 3 or 4 different velocities separately in the same way (as 8-channel files). This allows me to later use several instances of ReaSamplOmatic5000, all of which are inserted into the multi-channel recording track, to effectively trigger actual multi-channel samples of the original drumset! Only recently I found out that RS5k is capable of handling multi-channel samples! As the instances are placed on the drums recording track, the samples are automatically making use of the same routing to the individual drum faders and, hence, create the same mixing perspective when fired as the drums recording itself. So it's no problem to continue fine tuning the drum mix - the samples' mix will follow accordingly.

To trigger multi-channel drum samples, I've added several MIDI tracks at the bottom of the track template. All those MIDI tracks have (MIDI) sends to the multi-channel track so that MIDI notes will trigger the edited drum samples in their respective RS5k instances. The samples seemlessly integrate into the regular drum mix (much better than stereo samples would) and allow me to either correct timing issues by playing parts of the entire drumset as MIDI or to add to or alter what had been originally played. No way to tell what the original recording was and what has been added/edited by me using the samples. Being multi-channel themselves, the samples obviously yield the same amount of bleed as the original multi-channel recording.

I hope you get an idea of what this template is capable of. It's a bit like having the original drummer present in the studio and having him play his drumset all the time - but after the recording session

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 11-18-2018 at 02:16 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
Zargon the Destroyer

Holy only! What a fantastic post! Thanks so much for that; I must admit that I was hoping for a link to your template, but I'm not sure go useful template sharing is? Anyway, Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2018, 05:26 AM   #13
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Holy only! What a fantastic post! Thanks so much for that; I must admit that I was hoping for a link to your template, but I'm not sure go useful template sharing is? Anyway, Thanks again!

thanks, Zargon, your're welcome!

Here's the template: http://www.audioworld.de/data/8x%20m...RTrackTemplate

Hope it will work for you! Feel free to ask if something is not clear.

Basically, there are a few instances of ReaSamplOmatic5000 on the mixing tracks. Those are intended for drum replacement (ReaGate catches the hit and triggers a MIDI note; RS5k receives this note and triggers the replacement sample).

In contrast, the RS5k instances on the multi-channel recording track are intended to play samples via the MIDI tracks below. I only prepared two instances there but of course you can add more in the same manner to be able to play the entire set via MIDI.

Btw, I'm using a few additional plugins in my own version of this template. For instance, I have my own "8-channel patcher" plugin inserted into the input fx chain of the multi-channel recording track. This plugin allows me to reorder incoming channels from my interface in case the channels do not yet correspond my prefered order which is kick, snare, hihat, low tom, mid tom, high tom, OH. You can find this plugin and other useful plugins (all free) by following the link in my sig.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #14
Zargon the Destroyer

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this excellent stuff; you've been superbly helpful! I can't imagine why I haven't used this method in the past as it seems absolutely perfect!

Thanks again! Hope your week is full to the brim of fun!

Adam
Old 10-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
pipelineaudio
Mortal

What an awesome and enlightening thread!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
SonicAxiom

Glad if you guys like this approach

While we're discussing multi-channel recording I'd like to mention some related info here that might also be of interest for you:

I'm using the multi-channel method not only to record drums but also for acoustic guitar (up to 5 channels) and electric guitar recordings (up to 4 channels). While thinking about how to do this in an elegant and convenient way, I came up with a few (free) custom VST plugins that I coded myself to easily process such recordings. If you like the drum recording approach I showed above, you might find the other concepts useful, too.

For instance, the "x-channel acoustic guitar decoder" plugin family lets you record an acoustic guitar with either one or two different stereo mic techniques simultaneously (MS and/or LR) incl. the DI signal, if available from the guitar. You can then MS-decode and mix all available signals right inside the decoding plugin in one track! You are getting the same convenient item editing advantages like those of the multi-channel drum recording method plus the option to have all the relevant decoding and mixing going on in a single plugin.

Several different 3- and 4-channel plugin variants of this plugin are available to handle other scenarios to record/decode mic setups using MS + DI, MS + LR and LR + DI. The plugins allow you to solo/mute desired channels to judge their contribution to the current plugin mix and also permits to A/B the original, unprocessed recording sound.

Likewise, to record electric guitar and get as many options as possible to later post-process this recording, I coded the "4-channel e-guit amp rec 3x mic + DI" plugin: You may place up to 3 mics in front of a guitar amp and record them all into the same multi-channel file (plus the guitar's straight DI signal for re-amping purposes). The plugin allows to later mix all those channels in any way you want incl. pan and other features. If anybody is interested, I'm happy to share these plugins (they have not yet been uploaded to my "free VST plugin collection" web page).

Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #17
bigearz

Wow. Can’t wait to try this out. I’ve been recording acoustic with MS processing, but your plugin would take me down from four tracks to one.
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearz View Post
Wow. Can’t wait to try this out. I’ve been recording acoustic with MS processing, but your plugin would take me down from four tracks to one.
that's actually one of the reasons why I started coding them
please try them, bigearz! You'll find all relevant info here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212797

Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
endorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Here's the template: http://www.audioworld.de/data/8x%20m...RTrackTemplate

In contrast, the RS5k instances on the multi-channel recording track are intended to play samples via the MIDI tracks below. I only prepared two instances there but of course you can add more in the same manner to be able to play the entire set via MIDI.
This is great, thank you. In the past I'd recorded drums to a multichannel track, but over the last year or so gone back to individual tracks as it wasn't really giving me anything I couldn't get with group editing.

I was not aware of the multitrack capabilities of RS5k though, now that is a game changer as they say. Just went and rendered some samples from a recent drum session to a multitrack stem to try this out. What a great and simple way to get all the overhead, room and "bleed" mics into the sample. Thanks again for posting this.

It's also possible to get velocity layers by putting several samples into each instance of RS5k.

I've rejigged my drum template back to using a multichannel track to record now :-)

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #20
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
This is great, thank you. In the past I'd recorded drums to a multichannel track, but over the last year or so gone back to individual tracks as it wasn't really giving me anything I couldn't get with group editing.

I was not aware of the multitrack capabilities of RS5k though, now that is a game changer as they say. Just went and rendered some samples from a recent drum session to a multitrack stem to try this out. What a great and simple way to get all the overhead, room and "bleed" mics into the sample. Thanks again for posting this.

It's also possible to get velocity layers by putting several samples into each instance of RS5k.

I've rejigged my drum template back to using a multichannel track to record now :-)

Cheers,
Jennifer
great to hear that you are able to streamline your workflow using this approach, Jennifer! And yeah, I mentioned the possibility of using velocity layers in RS5k in my first post. For my purposes, this whole config doesn't leave a lot to be desired when editing drums - besides better drummers maybe

Old 11-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #21
endorka

Quote:
And yeah, I mentioned the possibility of using velocity layers in RS5k in my first post. For my purposes, this whole config doesn't leave a lot to be desired when editing drums - besides better drummers maybe
I missed that sorry!

I was quite surprised that you could do velocity layers in one instance of RS5k, although it doesn't seem possible to tweak the playback volume of each layer individually. Makes getting a smooth velocity curve between all the layers a bit tricky.

As you say though, it does a remarkable job. Even with a quick kick / snare / closed hihat setup with about 4 velocity layers per drum, it did a remarkably good job playing back grooves imported from BFD3.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 11-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #22
SonicAxiom

Quote:
I missed that sorry!

I was quite surprised that you could do velocity layers in one instance of RS5k, although it doesn't seem possible to tweak the playback volume of each layer individually. Makes getting a smooth velocity curve between all the layers a bit tricky.

As you say though, it does a remarkable job. Even with a quick kick / snare / closed hihat setup with about 4 velocity layers per drum, it did a remarkably good job playing back grooves imported from BFD3.

Cheers,
Jennifer
you're right, getting the volume transitions right between velocity layers can be a bit tricky but I got very promising results with even only three layers. I'm looking forward to my next project involving recording real drums to further optimize the workflow. MPL (genious!) has come up with his RS5k manager script recently. I haven't yet explored what this script might be able to do to facilitate handling of samples in multiple RS5k instances.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #23
endorka

To help get these multi velocity sample transitions smooth in RS5K, I've put a feature request up for adding a trim control to each velocity layer. Comments welcome!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213772

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #24
EpicSounds

Quote:

since selecting takes with grouping got fixed a while ago I don't see any point in it. I do use multichannel items for MIDI drum freeze but that's it. For multiple mics on a cab I usually use the force mono recording option.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:28 AM   #25
endorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
since selecting takes with grouping got fixed a while ago I don't see any point in it.
I thought the same, until trying the multi channel reasamplomatic thing as above. This could save a ton of time if you need to do a little or a lot of editing not possible with slip edit etc.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 11-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #26
SonicAxiom

Quote:
To help get these multi velocity sample transitions smooth in RS5K, I've put a feature request up for adding a trim control to each velocity layer. Comments welcome!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213772

Cheers,
Jennifer
Cool idea, Jennifer, but I'm wondering how this trim control per velo layer could be possible. You'd first have to define the no. of possible velocity layers somehow and then each of those layers would get a volume trim? This would require some serious fundamental changes in RS5k, I suppose. I'm all for it, though

Currently, I'm using dedicated RS5k instances for each layer: first instance is set to a specific note and to only react to vel 1~42, second instance is set to react to the same note but to vel 43~85 and third one to vel 86~127. Each instance also has a the "min. vol" value reduced by a few dB to produce a certain volume variation/dynamic. Additionally, I'm about to add a 1% parameter modulation on the pitch parameter (velo -> pitch) to further vary the sample's sound character by a small amount.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #27
endorka

Quote:
Cool idea, Jennifer, but I'm wondering how this trim control per velo layer could be possible. You'd first have to define the no. of possible velocity layers somehow and then each of those layers would get a volume trim? This would require some serious fundamental changes in RS5k, I suppose. I'm all for it, though
I've been putting the layers in on the "list" part of RS5k. In that section you can sort the layers by peak or RMS volume, so it seems like a good place for the trim controls. A small pot and/or dB text field alongside the sample corresponding to each layer might do the trick?

Quote:
Currently, I'm using dedicated RS5k instances for each layer: first instance is set to a specific note and to only react to vel 1~42, second instance is set to react to the same note but to vel 43~85 and third one to vel 86~127. Each instance also has a the "min. vol" value reduced by a few dB to produce a certain volume variation/dynamic. Additionally, I'm about to add a 1% parameter modulation on the pitch parameter (velo -> pitch) to further vary the sample's sound character by a small amount.
Effective but a lot of work! :-)

That's a cool idea for sample variation, thank you.

Cheers,
Jennifer