Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Ash Telecaster
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Drums

Hi All,

I have a small home studio with a Taye Gokit mic'ed up with a Sure drum mic set. It includes 2 over heads, 3 tom mic's, snare, Hi-hat, and Kick. I am using Reaper as my DAW

I am looking for two things.

First is thoughts on the kit. The attached soundcloud url is recorded on the Taye kit. It's in a small room and I was trying to control the volume. Do you think my results will improve significantly if I go with a larger kit?

https://soundcloud.com/user-700640754/boom-boom

Second, I was hit by a ransom virus and lost all my settings. I'm not a pro. Getting that sound took a lot of tweaking and now I have to start over and honestly it's an intimidating task. Is there any software that you know of that will simplify the task and give me good results?

I appreciate your thoughts, thank you in advance for taking the trouble to answer my questions.

Pic of Taye Kit attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png Taye.png (60.5 KB, 293 views)
Ash Telecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
Bazzbass

don't overdo it mate

Kick, snare and ONE overhead over the toms and cymbals should be adequate.

I've heard great recordings of big kits with just two overheads as well, no kick or snare mics at all. Less is more with drums, imho
Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
Ash Telecaster

Thanks for the advice Bazzbass!

Ive read about two, three, and four mic set ups. Easy enough to experiment with. Ill have to play around with it.
Ash Telecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Telecaster View Post
Do you think my results will improve significantly if I go with a larger kit?
Nah. Sounds pretty good to me, I mean, y'know, home studio good but still. You know what I mean, no shade intended. TBH don't really have an impression of the tom sounds but your drummer doesn't seem to use 'em much, which is fine... whatever you do don't tell a drummer he should use more toms lol. I'd keep using all your mics too, so as to for instance have the option of bringing up the toms, but I'm a control freak. Your HH mic sounds a bit hot but rock HH is always a problem. Bummer about your settings, the old IT saw is if it doesn't exist in 3 separate physical locations, it doesn't exist. Rock on!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Bazzbass!

Ive read about two, three, and four mic set ups. Easy enough to experiment with. Ill have to play around with it.
I swear by recorderman and Glyn Johns setups. Insanely easy to do with great results.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
camerondye

For this type of song, GJ or RM would sound great as long as you can play drums essentially mixing yourself while you play and have a decent sounding room. If you don't then I would stick with what you are doing and relatively mic a little closer to take the room out of the equation. If you do re-record I would move OH away from HH though because he is potentially overhitting the HH...quite a bit. Your drums sound a bit thin but seems like you could do a lot with some EQ and compression first before buying a new kit. Also, have you ever tried mixing in a sample with your recorded drums...it can sound natural while giving your drums a lot more punch.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Hi All,

I have a small home studio with a Taye Gokit mic'ed up with a Sure drum mic set. It includes 2 over heads, 3 tom mic's, snare, Hi-hat, and Kick. I am using Reaper as my DAW
Hi Ash, personally, I would experiment with that setup you have, in the end I think it will give you're best sound and flexibility.

There's always the room, unless you have good room acoustics, it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to get a good sound.

Something else to consider, are you on a cement floor or a wooden floor built on floor joists. if the latter, then you're going to get horrendous vibrations, especially on the kick mic(s). Actually you should have shock mounts on all your mics in this situation.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
brainwreck

Sounds pretty cool for such a small kit. I have a personal preference for less reverb on drums, but to each their own.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Sounds pretty cool for such a small kit..
I think so too : )

As far as a larger kit, that's generally not going to work in your favor in a small room unless you're going from a meh small kit to a great sounding large one. If the playing is aggressive and rocking, like in the example, the room is either your friend or it's not. If you're trying to control the volume by keeping the kit and the drummer a bit in check so you have more control of the drum sound in the room, it sounds like you've got a good handle on that. Works for me.

Less is definitely more for rock drums, but if the room doesn't add good stuff (and the right vibe) close mics will keep it from being too "roomy", but if you can hit upon a four or five mic combination that sounds great I think you'll be in good shape. Like jerome_oneil I'm a huge fan of the Glyn Johns drum mic setup (only need 3 mics and a tape measure : ) ) I was rolling my eyeballs when an engineer did this on a project I played (bass) on 20 years ago, but all it took was listening back to know it can get a great result. Here's one explanation of it:

http://www.musictech.net/2018/06/tec...-johns-method/

I'd echo to keep experimenting with what you have, swapping mics around, trying anything that comes to you. A bottom snare mic with the phase flipped and its level moved around can sometimes be a good thing. And sometimes not.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
Bazzbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
I swear by recorderman and Glyn Johns setups. Insanely easy to do with great results.
THANK YOU, I've been looking for my saved recorderman link but forgot it's name, recorderman, recorderman, genius method and even better if you add kick and snare close mics