Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Dstruct
Human being with feelings

Default "Duplicate item" shortcut (DONE)

Is there a "duplicate item" shortcut? Didn't find one!? CTRL+D would be nice (which should duplicate notes in the midi-editor too)!

DONE (5.12)

Last edited by Dstruct; 02-07-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Ctrl/leftclick/drag.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Dstruct

yes, i know. but i want to do this with the keyboard only!?

DONE (5.12)

Last edited by Dstruct; 02-07-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

ctrl+c, ctrl+v
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
Dstruct

yes, i know them too. but these are actually two shortcuts (copy/paste). i would prefer ONE shortcut (CTRL+D maybe) for a duplicate function!? so you select the item(s) and hit the duplicate shortcut ...
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

You mean so that it would appear on top of the original? Which you'd then drag elsewhere? Can't see the difference between that and ctrl/drag - one keystroke, one mouse movement, admittedly at the same time instead of sequentially.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
You mean so that it would appear on top of the original?
no, it would be added after (next to the) the original (same what CTRL+C -> CTRL+V does). i'm asking, because working with the mouse sometimes is not that fast (items have to snap before you can release the mouse-button). sometimes my fingers get tired of extreme mouse-usage. so a duplicate shortcut would definitely speed up things here ...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Art Evans
Mortal

Dandruff - that sounds like you're try to do what dragging out a loop does - sorry if I'm insulting you but really just making sure that you've not missed out on a function - pretty easy to not spot everything that Reaper does when it's simple on the face of it but loaded with stuff under the hood!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Dstruct

Quote:
Dandruff - that sounds like you're try to do what dragging out a loop does
yes, BUT with "loop" disabled. i don't like the loop-funtion. i always disable it, so that i can resize items to select a certain content of it (and then all i want is to duplicate the item) ...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #10
Dstruct

advantages of the duplicate shortcut (over copy&paste) then would/should be:

1. you don't have to (re)locate the cursor after/behind the item (before pasting the item)
2. you could duplicate while playback! for now this is impossible, because the items get pasted at the cursor-position ...
Old 07-20-2006, 01:37 AM   #11
kejkz

Maybe a better way of doing what you ask is extending the loop function so you can define a loop end and start point for yourself. That way you can build loops that are in time sync with project, so if you have kick that needs to be copied to start of every beat you just define end point and voila, you just drag the end and you have kick that beats the tempo .
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:57 AM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

define the section that you want to loop by dragging the beginning and end etc, then chose "open COPY of selected item in external editor"

that take will be shortened and you can loop it exactly as it sits
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 AM   #13
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejkz
Maybe a better way of doing what you ask is extending the loop function so you can define a loop end and start point for yourself. That way you can build loops that are in time sync with project, so if you have kick that needs to be copied to start of every beat you just define end point and voila, you just drag the end and you have kick that beats the tempo .
no, i would prefer a loopless duplicate. just imagine a midi-clip where i want to change the boundaries to insert more (or hide) content/notes. currently the loop-function kicks in when you resize items. i want it to resize in a way that it simply hides (resize smaller) or shows more content (resize larger). this enabled loop then always confuses me (you have to change the loop-lenght then and so on) ...
Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 AM   #14
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
define the section that you want to loop by dragging the beginning and end etc, then chose "open COPY of selected item in external editor"

that take will be shortened and you can loop it exactly as it sits
i don't wanna loop anything! external editor? i try to edit midi within reaper!?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
funkster1

Dandruff, I'm with you. I've been using Cubase for quite some time (and occasionally still do), so I know exactly where you come from. I'd also strongly wish for a 'Duplicate' shortcut/command.
I had already requested it a while ago, but it passed more or less unnoticed.

Cheers
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:48 AM   #16
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1
Dandruff, I'm with you. I've been using Cubase for quite some time (and occasionally still do), so I know exactly where you come from.
exactly.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #17
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejkz
Maybe a better way of doing what you ask is extending the loop function so you can define a loop end and start point for yourself. That way [...]
+1 Good Idea.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:21 AM   #18
rforssell

+1 here too!
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:02 AM   #19
Art Evans
Mortal

Isn't that what "copy loop of selected area of items" does? Or maybe I'm missing the point.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 AM   #20
kejkz

It basicly does, and it's great for creating loops from any kind of recorded source. But what if you, for any reason, make bad loop or just want to edit loop points? You have to go to source, reselect a part of media you would like to be looped, delete a wrong or obsolete loop, and then paste new item and then loop item. There are just too many steps IMO. So maybe a little handles (like for fade) can define start and end of loop. That way you are going to do two things: easy loop definition/redefinition and possibility to adopt already looped event on thr fly. There could also be a numerical definition of loop lenght in item preferences for precise setting, even a option for setting loop by entering number of beats, bars or bpm (based on song's bpm).
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:04 AM   #21
rforssell

Quote:
Isn't that what "copy loop of selected area of items" does? Or maybe I'm missing the point.
WOW! Didn't realize this - thanks!
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #22
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by hantruk
Couldn't you just hit Ctl+C once and then Hit Ctlr+V as many times as you want? Is it that important to save one keystroke when if you were going to duplicate stuff 10 times you would have to Ctl+(whatever) 10 seperate times anyway?
like i already wrote: with a dedicated duplicate shortcut you could duplicate while playback too! for now this is impossible, because the items get pasted at the cursor-position (which is moving while playback) ...

Last edited by Dstruct; 07-21-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #23
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff
like i already wrote: with a dedicated duplicate shortcut you could duplicate while playback too! for now this is impossible, because the items get pasted at the cursor-position (which is moving while playback) ...
no, items get pasted at the edit cursor position, NOT the playback cursor..
Old 07-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #24
Dstruct

right. but i have to locate the edit cursor to paste the item -> while playback this locates the playback cursor to this point as well (which "interrupts" the playback).

so a duplicate shortcut would save me from one additional mouseclick (to locate the edit cursor), from one additional shortcut (ctrl+v) and from the playback "interruption" ...
Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff
right. but i have to locate the edit cursor to paste the item -> while playback this locates the playback cursor to this point as well (which "interrupts" the playback).

so a duplicate shortcut would save me from one additional mouseclick (to locate the edit cursor), from one additional shortcut (ctrl+v) and from the playback "interruption" ...
you can change that behavior if you like, prefs/editing, so that if you click in a track it wont seek.. some people prefer that..
Old 07-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #26
Dstruct

ok. as workaround is ok. but i still request this duplicate shortcut/function

related to this a found a bug: "seek playback when clicked empty areas below tracks" sometimes doesn't set the playback-cursor to the clicked position. most (95% i would say) of the time it works, but sometimes (after some testing you'll see it) only the edit cursor moves to the clicked position!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #27
Art Evans
Mortal

I see that too, quite often. Thought my mouse was wearing out!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #28
Justin
Administrator

Are you guys sure you're not accidentally moving while clicked (and thus creating a small loop selection, instead of seeking)?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #29
Dstruct

you're right. that was the problem. just tested with releasing my trackball (taking the fingers off) first (before clicking) and it seems to be fine ...
Old 11-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #30
Dstruct

justin, can we have this shortcut? please also for duplicating selected notes in the midi-editor, as it is not very handy at the moment (at least for me).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #31
spherop

I'd love to LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the loop capability expanded in a few key ways... and maybe this also would provide more of what Dandruff and others could find useful about the copy loop feature.

From my other fr thread:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3559

LOOP FEATURE ENHANCEMENTS:
* Change/drag the start/end point of the original looped event which would then in turn change length of every other repeated element. This means being able to tweak the loop length without having to go back and copy a new loop from the original audio event.

* Toggle On/Off the looped content. A contextual menu command or key command. Saves having to do tons of dragging.

* Command to automatically fill the whole track with the loop start to finish. Often it's useful test a segment of audio as a loop against the whole song - dragging the edges in both directions gets tiresome and slow when doing this a lot. This feature accessible by keycommand would be AWESOME.

* Create Loop event from region selection in single step. Seems like 2 steps are occuring now where one could suffice.

These capabilities would make reaper KILL in terms of composing loop-centric music.

There's still the issue though of how Reaper handles layered audio on a track. So that's part 2. Enabling a layers and lanes if possible. So that when a loop is expanded over other audio material it will play instead of audio it "covers".

I also use Cubase and resort to "duplicating" events all the time. But this is very cumbersome compared to what reaper could do with the above features.
spherop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #32
Tallisman

I like the above suggestions very much. my thoughts for expanding them:
Each item would have an icon in the bottom left and right corners of the item (below the fade out icon int the picture below) - that toggles between functions with a user definable modifier key (Default function should also be user definable) right clicking could bring up a context menu of the available options for selection
Loop Length feature: if your item is 4 bars long... and loops there, the loop lenght feature would let you adjust the length of the portion of the item that is looped. so, if one wanted a 2 bar loop beginning at beat one and ending after beat 8, you would drage the loop length handle at the end of the looped item to the right 8 beats. If you wanted a 2 bar loop beginning at beat 9-16 simply drag the loop length handle at the start of the item forward to beat 9. all looped items immediately reflect the changes. If the user splits the item then all the functionality is again available for the next instance of looped segment/item.

As for the Duplicate feature.. i spent 2 hours looking for this!!
Coming from cubase sx3 it is invaluable... a must for me. [ctrl + d] duplicates the selected item / range / multiple item selection or range selection, placing the duplates immediately after the range/item/multi-item selection.

Furtermore, [ctrl + k] open the repeat dialog enter a numerical value, and the selected item / range / multiple item selection or range selection is duplicated that number of times. fantastic.

now, off to play with Reaper!

boogiewityabadself.
Tallis
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #33
HighVoltage

yeah we need duplicate shortcut. pretty please.
its the most useful function in the piano roll editor.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #34
Solar

Default Agree with Dandruff!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
justin, can we have this shortcut? please also for duplicating selected notes in the midi-editor, as it is not very handy at the moment (at least for me).
I simply agree with Dandruff here, CTRL-D for duplicating is a must & i use big time that function in Nuendo everyday its a time savior. Instead of Copying lets say you have a 4 bar loop and your snap is in Bar, you simply clik on the Loop and do the key command CTRL+D and and it will copy exactly that loop on the price next bar or bars depend on how many time i want to Duplicate!!

I vote for this too.. please Justin!!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #35
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Bumping, too, as i would like such a thing too.

a shortcut to duplicate a one-shot sample to the next gridline is really a time-saver an workflow enhancer when it comes to beat programming (using one shot drumsamples).
So +1.
Also very nice if you have to paste a clip (which migh't be exactly of X beats long), every X bars.

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4028

... and once more i agree with Dandruff : Please do it also for the emidi editor : much more quicker than having to select, then copy, then put your cursor on the correct gridline, then be sure to put your mouse on the correct horizontal note, etc.
This way, you'd just have to select the notes, hit the shortkey, and 'bang', you just cloned your selection (so no need to have to care on which note you're) at the next wished gridline.

Last edited by sinkmusic; 03-15-2007 at 03:16 PM.
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:39 AM   #36
olzzon

Canīt you just make a dual shortcut.
I mean, reaper has the possibility to do more than one thing with a shortcut.
so first line would be:
Copy selected item.
second:
Paste it. (or it reaper donīt place the cursor on the next item, make a jump to rightborder of selected item)
Third:
If second is not paste then PASTE IT.

you can assign this to CTRL-D
Old 03-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #37
Dstruct

will this work in the midi-editor? i thought this isn't possible (yet)!?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:17 AM   #38
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon View Post
so first line would be:
Copy selected item.
second:
Paste it. (or it reaper donīt place the cursor on the next item, make a jump to rightborder of selected item)
Third:

Olzzon, you're very helpful, this could be a nice workaround, and i didn't think about this.
But is there a shortcut assignement ability for "move cursor to next gridline" ? Because when dealing with one shot audio samples, the sample are not synced, so the sampleclips do not end on a grid line (i don't know if it makes sense).
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #39
Mradyfist

I was just about to write a long-winded post about how I'd like this too, and describing my workflow, but then I tried olzzon's suggestion and it works great! I just set control-D to edit:copy item, move the cursor to the end of selected item, and item: paste item. It took me a while to find the paste, since I was expecting it to be right next to the cut, however now I can duplicate just like in Cubase, and even while the song is playing!

I'm not sure if this is exactly what dandruff is looking for since he seems to want the ability to do this in the MIDI editor. I have to admit that I almost never ended up using that in Cubase because it pasted after the end of the last note, which was completely wrong 9 times out of 10 since the last note didn't end at the end of the measure; if there were a way to make it track measures instead, that would be perfect. I'd use it all the time if you could go into the MIDI edit window, select a range of notes, and have Reaper paste them in the next chunk of time that accommodates them.

For example, if I have 3 quarter notes in a row and a quarter rest, and I select the three notes and hit control-D, then the next bar has those same 3 quarter notes and a rest; however if I have 3 quarter notes, a rest, and another quarter note, and I select all of them and hit control-D, Reaper assumes it's a 2-bar pattern and pastes a copy of it at the start of the next two bars.
Mradyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #40
quasar333666

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon View Post
so first line would be:
Copy selected item.
second:
Third:

Olzzon, you are a genius of the species!

*runs off to make new keyboard shortcut*

*runs back*

I don't think this is possible in the midi editor yet, though. Not until the keyboard shortcuts for the midi editor are integrated (i.e. the same) as the analogous commands in the timeline/sequencer.

I thought I read that Justin was going to do this at some point.