Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #1
Airal
Banned

Default Pop on loop when audio signal is input

When inputing a signal such as a mic while reaper is playing back causes a pop, sometimes quite loud.

e.g., sing a constant sound in to a mic and have reaper play a small loop, each time, or most times, you should hear a pop when the cursor jumps back to the start of the loop.

This is not good. I can't use looping for live sounds because of this. I do have some FX on the

I noticed that this seems to be due to plugins but not all and not any specific ones.

Pro-Q, (Pro-C works fine), CLA vocals, Echo boy, (Hofa verb works), etc.

Could reaper add the ability to add a temporary click remover right at the end of playback. Because the click occurs so quickly and surely right from the start to end... and probaby not due to the actual audio input but the vst's resetting parameters and having a slight delay or possibly the waveform has changed enough in that split ms to cause a pop(but then it should occur without the vsts?).

Probably a simple very short declick filter could be added to the input that is only on for that time the loop occurs... done internally if the option is set. I'm sure there are better ways, just a suggestion. It's quite annoying for short loops but delays and verbs end up exacerbating the issue.

The reason I say this is a bug is simple. If one extends the loop and duplicates the loop items so it is the same stuff, one doens't get a pop between those items, obviously... so it is something specific with the looping aspect of reaper and not the vsts.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
bezusheist
Human being with feelings

How is this a bug?
You need to make sure to start/end loop on zero crossing, or you could get a pop/click.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Airal
Banned

How the hell can I do that?

I cannot sing in to a mic in such a way to time the sinusoidal difference so that it crosses exactly when needed. No human can. You fail to understand the problem. Your solution is simply wrong. It has nothing to do with the user doing any zero crossing. If that were the case, I'd be getting pops and clicks no matter what(everyone would unless they microtuned everything, which would be nearly impossible).

Next time try to fully understand the problem rather than providing "Chinese tech support".
Old 08-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
bezusheist

Blow me fuck face
Old 08-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Airal
Banned

lol, you have some serious issues. Maybe you should look in to seeing a psychologist?
Old 08-04-2017, 04:13 AM   #6
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
lol, you have some serious issues. Maybe you should look in to seeing a psychologist?
I think perhaps your the 1 with issues... you look at forums to resolve them-- I think the answer was suitable and actually good advice.
So you come back spitting and hissing- I probably would have typed the same thing-- people can be really fucking ungreatfull-even when they have just received a gift.
Disgracefull behaviour.
I don't even know why I bother helping either sometimes.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
Airal
Banned

You are a fucking moron too. Funny how they clump together.

Do you really think wrong advice is good advice?

How the hell is a singer singing in to a mic in real time suppose to sing in such a way that they can zero cross their voice precisely when reaper does the loop? It's impossible. You can't even do that at any point in singing.

When some idiot misunderstands the problem because they are too lazy too fully read it and too ignorant to actually know what's going on and someone that is more intelligent and knows the problem better tells them they don't know what they are talking about and then they say fuck off because their ego is that of a 2yr old and you come back and join them in their ignorance, what does one do?

I guess I will be banned for attacking you pathetic fuckers... no punishment for the idiots of the world though. No wonder why the world is going to shit.

Get a fucking clue please. You are a moron... not because you are ignorant, but because you think you aren't.

Of course, I'm sure I'm talking to the same person who thinks making two accounts will somehow be effective.

Rather, how about you spend your time actually learning a bit about mathematics, electrical engineering, and music and maybe you'll see that your stated answer makes no sense. But instead, you read something once about someone having an issue with clicks and zero alignment and that became your generic answer to all pops and clicks... and when someone shuts you down and says you don't know what the fuck your talking about(and at least offers reasons why), you get offended because your little pea brain goes in to overload due to all the adrenalin from your ego.

I'm sorry your existence is so pathetic that you have to troll forums but you brought it on yourself.

Yeah, ban me, I don't give a fuck... Would be nice to have fair play, but I don't expect that either.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
You are a fucking moron too. Funny how they clump together.

Do you really think wrong advice is good advice?
Bruvva/sister,or whatever type of form you may be- honestly the advice was good.
It's a simple case of mis-interpretations your end.
When your loop recording and are using take system-once you end recording the takes will show stacked to be chosen.
All in all-your multistack of takes is in reality--just 1 whole recording.
Even if you explode your takes in order-the waveforms will not click because the samples continue to run as 1 joined waveform.
If-*as suggested* you move these items> the sample crossings will break-causing clicks/pops etc.
This is why items have fade handles and volume envelopes-the handles can be set automatically- learn the programme m8-instead of knocking others while they #try to help you do that#.
There was little need to bust a mental nut about it.
Breath now.In+Out-feel the energy move.
GLHFDBAC.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
Airal
Banned

Ok, good news(Sorry, I didn't read, but I know whatever you have to say is gonna waste my time). I completely forgot that this forum allows blocking of users. Cockos should make it easier to do so.

Have a good life. Hopefully you'll grow up in a few years.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
Dstruct

This is a known issue. If I remember correctly, Justin said that this is not that easy to fix ...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Airal
Banned

It should be very very easy!

Let me explain why! You just have to spend a few seconds training your voice so you know when it crosses the zeros! No serious!

Ok, back to reality:

In theory, we could duplicate the loop n times(sorta like dragging a midi item out n times) and expand the loop to be n times as long as it was. This reduces the pops occurs by a factor of 1/n. If n is very large then no pops will occur at all.

The pops occur EXACTLY because of the loop.

In fact, you can do this. I did it. I had a midi item I was looping and singing to and getting all the pops when the loop repeated. Was very annoying. So I extended my midi item about 20 times to reduce the pop occurrence. Obviously now the loop is 20 times longer and the loop repeats 1/20 of the number of times. so if I was hearing m pops per hour before I would now hear them m/20 times per hour.

Ok? Follow?

So, in theory, reaper could internally do this looping for us by simply extending everything out.

But, of course, it doesn't need to do that because the pops only are an issue on the tracks that have live input. There are no pops on fixed tracks(thank god).

So, to fix that problem reaper should treat those tracks that are being monitored live as not being looped. Looping should not affect them.

The problem is the interaction between the code that monitors the loop (if playcursor > loopend) { blah/messsed up code }) and the live input/vsts.

For example, I could switch the live input to another instance of reaper(assuming it can share the asio host or use another audio device) and use it for live playback(don't even have to play back since we can just monitor the signal). Instance A does the looping with no live monitoring and hence no popping(normal reaper stuff) and instance B does the live monitoring and no looping and hence no popping. Together, a bit inefficient, but no popping.

So, if it is difficult it is due to the design of reaper itself that has the problem rather than it being a hard problem.

There is something in the code that does the looping that somehow triggers the pop and it shouldn't do it. Although, I guess in some cases we would definitely need that such as if we were effecting the live input with an envelope, say. But even then, I think it shouldn't be a big deal. I could understand if there was a jump discontinuity between the end and start of the loop in some type of effect, but there shouldn't be in such a simple setup. If it's the VST's then we should be able to disable them being notified of a loop restart so they are oblivious and work like normal(which is pop free).

If it is too difficult to deal with, there should be a special mode for a track when in record/monitor mode that bypasses the loop. No project time dependent effects should be applied(a warning could be given) but it would allow us an easy alternative and actually use reaper for live work.