Old 11-10-2023, 06:23 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default Hierarchy for Midi devices

I seem to remember that I filed a similar request some time ago, but now I can be a lot more precise.

With Reaper v7 we have the ability of not warn when a Midi device is not active.

In my (headless) "live" projects, different Midi hardware can be attached at different sockets of the PC. This either has to be ignored by the functionality (e.g. if Windows decides to rename the same hardware when plugged in a different socket, or if different hardware is used with the same functionality) or it should be considers by the project-functionality, providing different behavior based on the hardware currently attached.

This can be achieved in Reaper by creating multiple (armed input-) tracks: just one for each possible device(-ID) and routing all of them to a common "Sum" track, and then monitor the activity of the input tracks to find out which one is active.

A more friendly way would be if Reaper would allow for assigning multiple ("no warning") devices to the same Midi-device-ID and hence automatically use the (first) active one,

Now the user program (jsfx or script) would need to be enabled to find out which in that (per device-ID) list is the one Reaper found to be usable.

Last edited by mschnell; 11-10-2023 at 07:57 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote