Old 11-11-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
metallicaguy1
Human being with feelings

Default Microphone input gain question

I recently put a new audio interface in, upgraded from line 6 ux2. The signal I get from my instrument is fine, but the mic is so low. I have to turn the gain up all the way to hear it through speakers and or headphones. Then it usually spikes. And adds ambient sound, too. Yes, it's a cheap mic. I think I paid 25 for it, but I remember it working better awhile ago. I even tried my boom mic, and made no difference. So I plugged my ux2 interface back in. Same deal. I have to pump the gain all the way just to hear it.

I have audio monitoring on in reaper, and the record button pushed. But like I said, I don't remember it doing this before. Could it be the soundcard? (I used a diff computer before). That's the only thing I can think what's causing it.
metallicaguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #2
ronmac

impossible to answer without some more info.

Soundcard?

Microphone?
ronmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #3
richie43

Is the mic perhaps a condenser mic and you need to engage the phantom power?
Old 11-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
DVDdoug

Quote:
have to turn the gain up all the way to hear it through speakers and or headphones.
What are you recording?

Are you speaking/singing loudly directly into the mic? Or, is the mic directly in front of a loud guitar amp? Or, are you trying to record average/quiet sounds from across the room?

If it's a directional "side address" studio mic, are you speaking/singing into the front side?

It's a studio/stage mic with an XLR connector, right? Not a "computer mic"?

Oh... If you're using a laptop, make sure you're not accidently recording from the computer's built-in mic.

Quote:
Then it usually spikes.
It's normal to have high-peaks with a low-average volume (before limiting/compression), especially with "acoustic" sounds. (A guitar amp will limit if you drive it hard.)

Quote:
And adds ambient sound, too.
Of course! The mic picks-up whatever sound hits it. It's picking-up whatever your ears are hearing, except your brain tends to filter-out noise and you may not notice it "live" unless you listen for it. If you've ever used a video recorder you've probably noticed a lot of noise when you play back that you didn't notice when recording.

Quote:
Could it be the soundcard?
No. When you're using the interface your soundcard is not used. (You may be using your soundcard for playback.)
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Jeffsounds

Check the cable?
Old 11-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
impossible to answer without some more info.

Soundcard?

Microphone?
mic: behringer ultravoice xm8500 dynamic vocal mic, cardioid

Sound card: amd hd audio device or realtek hd audio (these are the only 2 I can find)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Check the cable?
It could be the cable, but it's plugged in as far as it can go. I'm guessing either the cable or something on the computer.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
What are you recording?

Are you speaking/singing loudly directly into the mic? Or, is the mic directly in front of a loud guitar amp? Or, are you trying to record average/quiet sounds from across the room?

If it's a directional "side address" studio mic, are you speaking/singing into the front side?

It's a studio/stage mic with an XLR connector, right? Not a "computer mic"?

Oh... If you're using a laptop, make sure you're not accidently recording from the computer's built-in mic.

It's normal to have high-peaks with a low-average volume (before limiting/compression), especially with "acoustic" sounds. (A guitar amp will limit if you drive it hard.)

Of course! The mic picks-up whatever sound hits it. It's picking-up whatever your ears are hearing, except your brain tends to filter-out noise and you may not notice it "live" unless you listen for it. If you've ever used a video recorder you've probably noticed a lot of noise when you play back that you didn't notice when recording.

No. When you're using the interface your soundcard is not used. (You may be using your soundcard for playback.)
I'm recording vocals in a song. It's a xlr cordiod mic. I'm using a desktop.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
metallicaguy1

Call me freaking stupid, because I think I just figured out the problem why the mic wasn't audiable unless gain's turned up all the way. I went to the recording devices on my comp and saw that the interface mic recording volume was set to 54, barely over halfway to max volume. Now it's way louder, just too bassy and too much low end, but that's because I do not have good acoustics in here. Is there a way of EQing that'll cut down on that? I was thinking high pass filter. I can't afford, though, to treat my room :P
Old 11-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
Stella645

I'm a bit confused...you said you upgraded your interface from the UX2 but when asked what soundcard you're using you've only listed built in audio.

Do you have another external interface...does it have a mic preamp??
Are you plugging into the mic pre using xlr to xlr cable?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
metallicaguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
I'm a bit confused...you said you upgraded your interface from the UX2 but when asked what soundcard you're using you've only listed built in audio.

Do you have another external interface...does it have a mic preamp??
Are you plugging into the mic pre using xlr to xlr cable?
Oh, I thought that was the soundcard. How do I check for that?

I'll have to check and see what other interface I have is. I think it's called TC electronic. It's a firewire interface that plugs into the fw card on my comp. I think it has a preamp built in. I'm plugging it in with a short Xlr cable. No adapters or anything.