Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
hypermonkey1984
Human being with feelings

Default Migrating Reaper to a new User Account

So I decided to create a new user account on my Mac so that I could optimize it for Reaper. This way it'll boot faster and I don'thave to worry about other programs interfering. Then I realized that Reaper starts completely fresh, so I don't have any of my user preferences for REaper. Instead of manually reconfiguring it so that it runs exactly the same as my other account is there a way to simply direct Reaper to read the user prefs file that my other Mac User Account Reaper is already using.

Last edited by hypermonkey1984; 12-31-2011 at 10:31 PM.
hypermonkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
mrelwood

Yes. Copy the folder
Users/[Original user]/Library/App support/REAPER
to
Users/[New user]/Library/App support/REAPER
to replace the freshly created default settings.

Do note that on OSX Lion the User Library folder is hidden. To get in, open the users folder, select "Go to folder..." from the "Go" menu, and type "Library".
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
hypermonkey1984

:/ For some reason it didn't work. It just opened up Reaper like as if it was the very first time it ever opened. (Not too mention it had to scan all the VST's over again. I guess it forgot where they were and it actually crashed a couple of times trying to look for them.)

I even had to reimport my license key. It looks like a brand new blank version of Reaper now.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
hypermonkey1984

HELP!!!

Now i lost all my user preferences for both of my Mac accounts. It doesn't make any sense. All I did was copy my preferences over to my new account just like you said. Now i've lost it for both. Why would it affect the original account.

All the same files are right where they should be, its just now for some reason Reaper can't find the right files and so now just has no customization at all.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
mrelwood

I suggest you check the location of the Reaper app data folder by selecting "Show REAPER resource path..." in the Options menu. Just to make sure you are in the right path.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
hypermonkey1984

Default thank you!

Thank you so much. I'm one step closer.

I checked the path and sure enough it's the wrong folder. It was in /users/{User Name}/Applications instead of in /users/{User Name}/Library/Application Support/REAPER where it's supposed to be. So how do I switch the resource path back to where it should be. I can't find that option in preferences.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
mrelwood

Now that's strange. Are you sure you are running Reaper.app from the Applications folder?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
hypermonkey1984

All I know is I clicked "Show Reaper Resource Path" in the options menu and then it opened a Finder window in the Applications folder.

Also I noticed that there are a ton of Reaper files in my applications folder. For example color themes and my reaper license.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120109-drih43g4irf2d941ed526udg43.jpg (49.4 KB, 244 views)
Old 01-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
mrelwood

I think your Reaper is not installed properly. I would start from scratch:
- Remove all traces of Reaper (export/copy/save your settings and prefs first if you don't want to set up Reaper preferences again). Delete them manually, or use Appdelete etc.
- Re-download the latest version and install as guided in the Reaper dmg.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
hypermonkey1984

I finally got it to work...kinda.

So I followed your instructions, like you said. I uninstalled all of Reaper. Reinstalled it into my original user account and lo and behold all of my preferences were there. So then I exported my preferences. I then went to my new user account which I've been trying to migrate to and it had the same problem. It refused to look in the Application Support folder where it should and instead just decided to put all of those files in whatever directory I first opened Reaper in. For example if I dragged Reaper from the dmg to the desktop then when i opened Reaper it would create all of those configuration files in the desktop. So finally I decided to first move reaper to a new folder inside of Applications called Reaper. It still did that same annoying thing but at least it was contained in one directory.

Next I imported the configurations from my other user account. ()

So I guess it's pretty much fixed. I've got all my preferences and whatnot. I just wish I could understand why it's behaving this way. I have a feeling that Reaper for some reason doesn't like that I'm using two different user accounts.

Also, if possible I would love it if when I use REaper in either user account that it would use the same preferences directory. That way if I changed a preference on one side then it would change on the other as well (though that feature isn't really a dealbreaker for me.)

One last thing (sorry for the long message) for some reason some of my VST's aren't working though I'm 90% sure that's an unrelated problem because they were missing before all of these problems happened.