Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
bwitte
Human being with feelings

Default Plugging in and out to the Mac Line out causes recording to pause for a second?

I have an Aggregate Audio device set up - Dante Virtual Soundcard of 48 channels and Mac Line Out which we will use for monitoring live recordings. That all works fine EXCEPT everytime we plug in or unplug the headphones in the Line Out jack, audio drops out for about a second - visible on meters and the audio tracks themselves.

I assume that this may be due to the fact that there is more to the line out jack then just "line out" since if you plug in the iPhone headphones you can adjust audio levels and start/stop itunes.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this other than use another USB audio interface to monitor? It would be so much easier not to have to add more gear to the setup, yet move headphones between several Mac's that are recording.
bwitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
mrelwood

I believe the break comes from the Mac audio hardware switching from internal speakers to line out/headphones.

I would think that adding an extension headphone cable (even an inch long) or some sort of adapter to the headphone output would prevent the issue from happening. That way the Mac will not see a plug put in the output.

Just out of curiosity, what sources are you recording through the virtual sound card?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
bwitte

"I believe the break comes from the Mac audio hardware switching from internal speakers to line out/headphones."

How would that affect the actual recording in Reaper? The source of the recording is from an Allen and Heath GLD80 Mixer with a Dante card installed. Literally, all 48 channels have a "droput"!

Your idea of an extender though is a possibility and something I will try.

Bob
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
groundhum

The act of plugging/unplugging the headphones causes the system to re-evaluate what output device(s) to use, which takes some amount of time to change. During that time audio routing is in flux, and probably suspended (or at least interrupted) to avoid Bad Things happening until it all gets sorted.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
bwitte

That is what I thought. The use of a short extender cable seems to solve the problem.

Now, If I can solve what sound like a clocking issue that slowly affects the sound quality, then goes completely silent, then comes back......

Thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwitte View Post
That is what I thought. The use of a short extender cable seems to solve the problem.

Now, If I can solve what sound like a clocking issue that slowly affects the sound quality, then goes completely silent, then comes back......

Thanks
Nice workaround to enable using an inappropriate interface (built in)!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
bwitte

I ended up ditching the "aggregate" device and used the Dante Virtual Soundcard only. Recording to two laptops worked great using Dante. Had one "click" but haven't had time to see if it was system wide or caused by something on one channel.

Recorded over two hours - 24 tracks.