Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #81
stoman
Human being with feelings

Default Drag and Drop from FX browser does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Please post bugs that you think are related to running REAPER on Linux in this thread.
Just noticed this thread after posting my bug finding:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=211174
Old 09-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #82
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
Don't know if this is intended but for me it looks like a bug. Try the following with any JSFX or Cockos plugin fader.

- Click with the left mouse button on the fader cap.
- Hold the mouse button and move the fader.
- Still hold the mouse button and then press the Cmd Key and watch the fader.

For me the fader is moving to the opposite side of the mouse movement without moving the mouse in this direction.

If you press the Cmd key before pressing the mouse button you can fine tune the fader like it should.
Thanks, fixing!
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #83
cfillion

ListView_HitTest returns out-of-range indexes instead of -1 when the point is below the last item. (It's the root cause of a crash in SWS.)

Also, latest WDL's recurseOwnedWindowHitTest loops forever when right clicking again while a context menu is already opened (tested with i3wm). Shouldn't h->m_owned_next be owned->m_owned_next?

Last edited by cfillion; 09-16-2018 at 04:48 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #84
doppelganger

can't find a way to dock script's gfx window, is it a bug?

also action "Dock/undock currently focused window" docks/undocks mixer and action list window for example, but not script's window.
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #85
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
ListView_HitTest returns out-of-range indexes instead of -1 when the mouse is below the last item. (It's the root cause of a crash in SWS.)

Also, latest WDL's recurseOwnedWindowHitTest loops forever when right clicking again while a context menu is already opened (tested with i3wm). Shouldn't h->m_owned_next be owned->m_owned_next?
Thanks for both of these, fixing now!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #86
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
can't find a way to dock script's gfx window, is it a bug?

also action "Dock/undock currently focused window" docks/undocks mixer and action list window for example, but not script's window.
That action doesn't work for scripts, scripts have to implement it themselves (usually via a context menu or keyboard command)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #87
burtbick

Default MIDI playback stutters on soft synth OR external HW synth

I've been working on setting up Linux Mint 18.3 to do some track editing.

I have Reaper for Linux (64 bit) installed and it works great on audio tracks, and I had one MIDI that plays just fine using FluidSynth (QSynth) with JACK. That MIDI has 8 active channels/tracks.

Then I tried another MIDI file and that one is erratic, with a bunch of stuttering and just not playing smoothly at all. This MIDI has 16 tracks

This happens either with the soft synth OR with an external HW synth through an Alesis IO2 as well as a no-name USB to MIDI interface that I have laying around.

This same MIDI plays smoothly in Ardour 4 with the soft synth. So the issue seems to be isolated to Reaper.

Using the virtual MIDI device in Reaper from a2j Virtual RawMIDI out to a2j FLUID Synth input ports. But I was NOT using a2j in earlier tests and the results were the same. In that earlier test routed from Virtual RawMIDI to FLUID Synth in the JACK ALSA tab.

I tested with Reaper (Windows 64bit) under Wine, and using the Qsynth as set up for my Linux test. In the Windows version running under Wine I have the Synth input port (number:0) and that is what I enabled and mapped to the MIDI tracks. It plays very smoothly just as the same MIDI does on my Windows machine.

Any suggestions on what I should look for to get this working smoothly with Reaper for Linux, or is this possibly a bug in Reaper for Linux?

Update: 9/17/18 Found the problem, or at least a solution.
In some earlier testing I had changed the Audio System from JACK to PulseAudio in Reaper's Preferences and had forgotten about it.
So on a hunch I changed it back to JACK and then changed the JACK MIDI routing to REAPER/MIDID Output 1 connected to a2j/FLUID SYnth input and that got rid of the stuttering. That may still not be the optimal configuration, but for now it is working.

Thanks,
Burt

Last edited by burtbick; 09-17-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Found solution to problem.
burtbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 AM   #88
swindus

Quote:
Don't know if this is intended but for me it looks like a bug. Try the following with any JSFX or Cockos plugin fader.

- Click with the left mouse button on the fader cap.
- Hold the mouse button and move the fader.
- Still hold the mouse button and then press the Cmd Key and watch the fader.

For me the fader is moving to the opposite side of the mouse movement without moving the mouse in this direction.

If you press the Cmd key before pressing the mouse button you can fine tune the fader like it should.
This problem still exists in v5.96pre6. I can still reproduce the moving fader in this build when moving the mouse/fader while holding the Cmd key.
swindus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #89
vocalfons

Default no more midi in linux, nor native, nor under wine

I do not know if this is a bug. But in both linux-native Reaper AND under wine, my midi interface/controller bcf2000 is shown to be there in the system, it is shown in Catia, it is shown in the settings of Reaper....but it is not selectable as an in or output on a channel. It seems the system made an alias and doesnt know that it's not two devices. So now I have no more midi input or output and my mixing controller does not work either. So also in Catia I vannot connect anything to it. Anyone with a clever idea? Or maybe a dunb idea? By now I'd settle for any solution
vocalfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #90
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
This problem still exists in v5.96pre6. I can still reproduce the moving fader in this build when moving the mouse/fader while holding the Cmd key.
Hmm I can't... what window manager? Also I assume you mean "Control" rather than command? Are you hitting the key after clicking?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #91
swindus

I use Openbox and XFCE. Yes of course, I mean the Control key and the fader still moves when I press the Control key WHILE I move the fader with the mouse. So yes, I'm hitting the key after clicking the fader.

I can reproduce it any time with ReaEQ. I grab the frequency fader with the mouse and move it fast to the right and to the left. Then I hit the Control key and the fader moves from alone.

Last edited by swindus; 09-20-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #92
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I can reproduce it any time with ReaEQ. I grab the frequency fader with the mouse and move it fast to the right and to the left. Then I hit the Control key and the fader moves from alone.
Hmm here, if I drag the fader, then hit the control key without moving the mouse, nothing happens (until I move the mouse, when it hides the mouse cursor and does a small move of the fader)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #93
swindus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm here, if I drag the fader, then hit the control key without moving the mouse, nothing happens (until I move the mouse, when it hides the mouse cursor and does a small move of the fader)
Yes, same for me when I don't move the fader on the key press but when I press Control while moving the fader with the mouse the fader moves away. This time in the same direction as the mouse moves before your fix it was the opposite direction. Maybe this is intended.

Another problem I have from time to time is with undo. When I undo some changes like moving and cutting itmes on the timeline they get moved to other positions or the content of the item is moved. And then there is no way to get back to the state before because the undo fails. Unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce this till now.
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #94
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, same for me when I don't move the fader on the key press but when I press Control while moving the fader with the mouse the fader moves away. This time in the same direction as the mouse moves before your fix it was the opposite direction. Maybe this is intended.
Yes, after holding control, the fader will move with the mouse (albeit at a reduced rate)

Quote:
Another problem I have from time to time is with undo. When I undo some changes like moving and cutting itmes on the timeline they get moved to other positions or the content of the item is moved. And then there is no way to get back to the state before because the undo fails. Unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce this till now.
Are you using any scripts? Perhaps they are not handling undo properly? Without more information not much I can help with here...
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #95
swindus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yes, after holding control, the fader will move with the mouse (albeit at a reduced rate)
Yes, I know that's the default behavior for fine tuning a control. What I mean is that the fader moves on without moving the mouse after hitting the control key. Or in other words I stop moving the mouse after hitting the control key and the fader still moves. When I release the control key the fader jumps back to the begin of the self movement. I made a screen capture maybe this helps.

https://imagebin.ca/v/4GoBMcAEfz9q

- move the fader
- while moving the fader press control key
- hold the control key, stop mouse movement, the fader moves or don't stop
- release control key and the fader jumps back (to the mouse position?)

Sometimes it's so complicated to describe such a small and simple thing in a non native language.