Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 11-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #1
darjama
Human being with feelings

Default The Reaper Mixing Contest - November 2023: Resistencia Para Un Nuevo Comenzar

REAPER CONTEST - November 2023
(ONLY REAPER / TUKAN PLUGINS ALLOWED)

Click here to donate

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: reaMIXed.com

MIXING: 1-16 November
VOTING: 21-26 November
RESULTS: 28 November

This month's track, Resistencia Para Un Nuevo Comenzar, was chosen by last month's winner LCM. It is by Colombian artist Hazael and is available courtesy of the Cambridge Music Technology.

Note: In addition to the effects included with Reaper, the Tukan plugins (all current versions from ReaPack as of the 1st of the month) are considered part of the base installation for the contest, so if you're using plugins from this version of tukan, you don't need to include them in your submission. These are now included in mixcheck.

Non Reaper / Tukan JSFX are still allowed, you just need to include them with your submission.

Please remember:

-NO GLUING OF FILES / RENDERING OF EFFECTS
-ONLY NATIVE REAPER FX -or- non-Native JSFX files that you include with your submission.

It's recommended that you take advantage of the normalization settings in the reaper rendering dialog to meet the LUFS and dBFS requirements by:

1. Normalizing to -14 LUFS.
2. If your mix peaks at or under -1 dBFS, you're done!
3. If your mix peaks over -1 dBFS, rerender it, normalizing to -1 dBFS.

MixCheck (https://reamixed.com/mixcheck/) is still beta, it can help you by analyzing your .rpp files before you upload to:
- Make sure your they don't contain disqualifying audio files
- Make sure your they don't contain disqualifying VST/AU plugins
- See what non-native JSFX files you need to include in your zip file
- See what impulse files you need to include in your zip file

NOTE that Mix Check DOES NOT upload your mix, only checks your project file on your local machine.

Once Mix Check has been tested I may not require you to send in the mixed flacs, just the project files, jsfx and impulses. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

You can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Happy mixing anniversary!
-Daryl

IMPORTANT
darjama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:41 AM   #2
AudioBabble

Thanks Darjama & LCM! for choosing

Lots of vocal tracks, going to be interesting making them work!

I have a question: Is there any way I could get a translation of the lyrics? I know it's not really important, but I'd love to have some idea what it's about... sorry I don't know any Spanish!

Google tells me the title = Resistance for a new beginning
AudioBabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
darjama

lyrics are here: https://hazaelmusic.bandcamp.com/tra...nuevo-comenzar

google translate says:
I begin to see clearly
this facet
I glimpse, what I left behind, behind

and the changes that,
I notice with growing
I fight to believe,
I'm not going to fall

After the internal battle
the soul learns how to resist

Reflections, of so much falsehood
that stalk me
roots, which soon become extinct
its jaws
Old 11-03-2023, 03:34 PM   #4
AudioBabble

Nice, thank you
Old 11-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #5
Punchipum

Hey, guys, don't you know if there is any action out there that deletes all third party plugins and leaves only the stock plugins and js? 🤨
Punchipum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 01:57 PM   #6
AudioBabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchipum View Post
Hey, guys, don't you know if there is any action out there that deletes all third party plugins and leaves only the stock plugins and js? 🤨
Don't know about an 'action' as such, but what if you changed your plugin folder location to just: Program Files/REAPER (x64)/Plugins (or whatever mac equivalent)?

That should just leave the stock vsts that come with reaper and the effects folder where JS fx reside?
Old 11-04-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
JerZee

Quote:
You mean like a virus? Or what.....
JerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:19 AM   #8
Punchipum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZee View Post
You mean like a virus? Or what.....
haha, no, it's just that I change my original template, which has a lot of plugins, very frequently, and I have to delete all the third party plugins every time to participate in reamixed. I was wondering if there was something that would do it for me in one click.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:21 AM   #9
JerZee

Quote:
haha, no, it's just that I change my original template, which has a lot of plugins, very frequently, and I have to delete all the third party plugins every time to participate in reamixed. I was wondering if there was something that would do it for me in one click.
ah, that makes sense :-) I'm sorry but can't help you there.
JerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:26 AM   #10
Wallaby

Quote:
Doing it once and save a new template called "remixed" ?
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:38 AM   #11
Punchipum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Doing it once and save a new template called "remixed" ?
I have one like that, but as I said, I constantly change my original template (new routing, etc.)
Old 11-05-2023, 07:26 AM   #12
AudioBabble

I just tried my earlier suggestion, it works.

- Just go to Preferences > VST > Plugin paths.

- Select ALL the text in that field (i.e. all your plugin paths)

- Copy and paste to a text file somewhere. (Now you have a backup of your original plugin paths.)

- DELETE all the paths in Reaper 'VST Plugin paths'.
- Now, enter just one path: 'c:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins' -- or whatever the equivalent is on your system.
( if it's easier, just use the 'Edit Path List > Add path' menu )

- Restart Reaper.

Voila... now you will see only Reaper stock and JS plugins. Anything else will be set offline and bypassed.

To revert to your previous setup:

- just paste the path list from your saved text file.

No need to re-scan anything, just restart Reaper and you'll be back to 'normal'.

Hope that helps?
Old 11-07-2023, 11:36 AM   #13
pursgo

Default looking

looking to get in touch with mrung about head of lies. pursgo@hotmail.com thanks
pursgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:54 PM   #14
darjama

Another way to get rid of 3rd party plugins as a group. From the FX tab in the Project Bay, sort by developer, select the developers you no longer require and click the remove button.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:28 PM   #15
Punchipum

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
Another way to get rid of 3rd party plugins as a group. From the FX tab in the Project Bay, sort by developer, select the developers you no longer require and click the remove button.
Thanks. Finally I did that.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:33 PM   #16
Punchipum

On the other hand, today I started the mix and it is having a hard time. It's a good song but it's very poorly recorded 🤷
Old 11-09-2023, 06:19 AM   #17
AudioBabble

Quote:
On the other hand, today I started the mix and it is having a hard time. It's a good song but it's very poorly recorded 🤷
The vocals are the biggest challenge! 4 x lead vocals, all out of time and slightly out of tune...

A sensible person would comp them into one single lead vocal I suppose...

Me? I have a different plan, because I'm a masochist!!
Old 11-11-2023, 04:49 AM   #18
lucianodato

Quick question guys, I have already uploaded my mix, in which I mistakenly include the wrong file. Can I upload it again and replace it? Am I already too late?
lucianodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:41 AM   #19
darjama

Yeah, just upload again, I take the last submission from each user
Old 11-12-2023, 11:12 AM   #20
AudioBabble

well... 20 hours spent on this mix, still not happy but have submitted anyway.

Great learning experience, looking forward to hearing the other mixes
Old 11-12-2023, 01:03 PM   #21
Punchipum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBabble View Post
well... 20 hours spent on this mix, still not happy but have submitted anyway.

Great learning experience, looking forward to hearing the other mixes
The same here. Many hours of work and I have not been totally satisfied but it is an extremely problematic recording and I can't spend any more time fixing things, so I'm finishing the mix. I think that in this mix we will find big differences between the different mixes. I hope so.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:50 AM   #22
MisterGTR

Tough one this month i thought. Kept looking at other tools i have outside of Reaper!

But hopefully i've done the artist justice (i've gone in a different direction that the mix i found online).

I did get into a bit of plugin death spiral. And i think i'll come back to this one again in the future as one to test myself with, to see if i've gotten any better.

Good luck to y'all
MisterGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:40 PM   #23
Svein

I found the time this month to do this one but what's up with the ugly vocal editing?? Ugh!!
Svein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:18 PM   #24
Bally

Mixcheck keeps telling me I have an Overheads wav file I have to remove, and yet I haven't added any wav files to the mix??
Bally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:22 PM   #25
Wallaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bally View Post
Mixcheck keeps telling me I have an Overheads wav file I have to remove, and yet I haven't added any wav files to the mix??
Did you rename the file before ?
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:25 PM   #26
MisterGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bally View Post
Try
file / Clean current project directory
Old 11-16-2023, 05:30 AM   #27
Bally

Thanks...
Bally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:01 PM   #28
bitgo.space

This month's mix wasn't easy either. I got lost and I'm not happy about it.

I have a question. How do you approach your mix? On the one hand, we have raw tracks, and on the other, the reference mix.

Do you first assess the difference between the raw material and the reference mix, making notes on what doesn't sound like the reference mix, where to improve the sound and on which track? Or maybe at the end, after all your processing your'e checking how it compares to the reference mix?

Or maybe with no reference mix at all? Then how? Purely based on experience?
I am trying not to use reference mix as a goal to achieve, but maybe it is a wrong approach.
bitgo.space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:42 AM   #29
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitgo.space View Post

I have a question. How do you approach your mix? On the one hand, we have raw tracks, and on the other, the reference mix.

Do you first assess the difference between the raw material and the reference mix, making notes on what doesn't sound like the reference mix, where to improve the sound and on which track? Or maybe at the end, after all your processing your'e checking how it compares to the reference mix?

I am trying not to use reference mix as a goal to achieve, but maybe it is a wrong approach.
Hi Bitgo.

About the process, for me, the more important thing is the pause time. I usually try not to mix for long periods of times! I respect a lot the pause times. Sometimes, when I consider the mix almost finish, don't listen to it for a couple of days, and them when I come back to listen, I take in consideration, my very firts feelings only to correct something.

About the reference Issue, It is a Critial part of the process in a Home Studio. Let me point this forum thread where some of us were talking about this subject a time ago.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=19

Hope this help.
Cheers

Javi.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 07:32 AM   #30
AudioBabble

I thought the reference mix for this month's track was pretty much the best that can be done with the track -- although to me it seemed there was a bit too much reverb on the vocal and the drum overheads were very thin-sounding and panned right in a weird way.

Of course, if you're mixing for a client you probably won't have a reference mix for the track you're working on, which is where a reference mix or two in a similar genre/style/instrument line-up becomes the go-to.

Listening to a ref mix periodically between mixing sessions is also a good way to 'refresh' your ears!
Old 11-20-2023, 07:48 AM   #31
MisterGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitgo.space View Post

My approach.... i'm no pro! So don't give this any weight more than a fellow hobbyist's approach.

a) get all the tracks into my project at the right tempo.
b) then group them by instrument
c) then playback from the beginning and start putting in regions and doing a group level mix
d) once i'm done with the regions i'll play back the chorus and do quick rough mix around lead vocal.

Now i know what i've got and what i'm working with. This will take 15mins or so.

I then try and get an idea of the vibe of the song and what i want to do with it.
So i'll play through. And i'll think about what it reminds me of and who does it sound like. This helps with finding a reference mix (not easy!)

In a commercial situation i would have listened to the rough mix first and gotten an idea of what the artist and producer wants and taken their session and tried to improve it.

But in this situation because we don't have the artist/producer session or even stems as was used for the rough, i will go in my own direction as we are starting from scratch and try best to think about what i would want for the song as the artist/producer. I won't listen to the rough.

I mixed this over a week ago so i can't remember much! (i'm old!) But i felt the LV had lots of artefacts. So i went with the 2nd vocal for the majority. If i was being paid by the hour i may have comp'd more or tidied up the LV. And i would have melodyned. But we can't use that.

The guitars (esp at the end) were out of tune. But again i'm not being paid to reatune them. So i didn't bother. Points to anyone who did!

I tried various approaches to the drums eg no gates. Gating, parallel to try and get a nice punch. But i wasn't easy. I usually do metal and hip hop so doing a small balanced kit sound wasn't easy for me.

Main thing is to have an idea of what you want it to sound like and try to move the faders first, then eq to achieve that. After that you can dig into other tools to polish it closer to the target. But referencing is key - i need to get better at finding and using them.

I'm still a long way from being any good. But it's great to practise and then see what the better mixers do.

All the best.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:00 AM   #32
AudioBabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGTR View Post
And i would have melodyned. But we can't use that.
But we can use ReaTune!
Old 11-20-2023, 08:07 AM   #33
MisterGTR

Quote:
But we can use ReaTune!
True but I'm nowhere near as fast.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:16 AM   #34
AudioBabble

Quote:
True but I'm nowhere near as fast.
As someone who's completely clueless with melodyne, I have nothing to compare to! I used reaTune for the first time on this month's project. To be honest, I just put it on auto once I'd found the key and that did a noticeably good job for most of it. Then, when there were still a few odd problem notes, I just went into manual mode and drew in a little blue line, then dragged it around to suit. Fairly painless
Old 11-20-2023, 09:57 AM   #35
bitgo.space

Quote:
because we don't have the artist/producer
I won't lose my job (because I missed the equalizer on the monitoring line this month)

Thanks all
bitgo.space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #36
MisterGTR

Quote:
As someone who's completely clueless with melodyne, I have nothing to compare to! I used reaTune for the first time on this month's project. To be honest, I just put it on auto once I'd found the key and that did a noticeably good job for most of it. Then, when there were still a few odd problem notes, I just went into manual mode and drew in a little blue line, then dragged it around to suit. Fairly painless
You're right. I was just being lazy. Reatune is great! I hope it bags you some extra points if not the win!
Old 11-20-2023, 04:56 PM   #37
darjama

Melodyne has a pretty good black friday deal. I haven't used it myself yet, but it does sound a little more natural to me than reatune, or maybe it's just faster to get to a natural sound.

That said reatune is pretty capable.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:40 PM   #38
MisterGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
Melodyne has a pretty good black friday deal. I haven't used it myself yet, but it does sound a little more natural to me than reatune, or maybe it's just faster to get to a natural sound.

That said reatune is pretty capable.

Cheapest way I know to get melodyne for anyone interested is tier by tier from either and/or JRRShop with the usual group or forum codes or everyplugin.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #39
javiramallo

Hey!! This month's track tested us!

Congrat to Svein who did an amazing mix. Dude, I will be going to dig in your mix in order to learn a lot of things, over all this drums sound that seems to be imposible to get from the original material provided. You rocked with that, so again congratulation!!

Congrat to the rest of us. I think, right now the level of this contest is amazing, this make the voting really difficult cause there is a lot of good mixes which could be winners.

Djarma, thanks as always for your effort to keep the machinery running. This month's donation is on the way!

Last edited by javiramallo; 11-30-2023 at 03:52 AM. Reason: My bad English!
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #40
Svein

Thanks javiramallo!

@darjama: Can you or someone else decide what to mix next month? I'm sick with covid..
Svein is online now   Reply With Quote