Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
gvdv
Human being with feelings

Default Help - I Cannot Hear Playback of MIDI Drums in Reaper

Hi,
I finally found a link which enabled me to download the (now) Free version of MTPowerDrumkit2 (http://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php ), and I have got it working - to an extent.

What I mean is:
1. I can access MTPDK2 as one of the VSTi FX

2. I can 'play' - and hear - the drums using the mouse key (and, presumably, by plugging in a MIDI keyboard)

3. I can drag the 'assembled' drum track to Reaper, and I can see the MIDI information in the track.

What I cannot do is hear that MIDI track when I try to play it back.

I should say that I am doing all of the above on my computer without using my Audio Interface, so I am trying to use my internal soundcard to hear the playback of the drum track, and I cannot understand why I can hear the drums when I 'play' them, but cannot hear them when trying to play them back after dragging them to Reaper.

This is the first time that I have tried to use MIDI in Reaper, so I am on a learning curve here, and I suspect that the answer to this is something to do with me not routing the signal properly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
solger

Check out this video in general: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php#ztr7B-PrUHY

Quote:
3. I can drag the 'assembled' drum track to Reaper, and I can see the MIDI information in the track.
In general make sure that the MIDI item has the correct MIDI notes and MIDI channel for triggering the MTPDK2 plugin.
How was the drum track assembled exactly?
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Check out this video in general: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php#ztr7B-PrUHY

In general make sure that the MIDI item has the correct MIDI notes and MIDI channel for triggering the MTPDK2 plugin.
Hi Solger,
Thanks for your reply.

I will check out the video after I finish this message to you.

In answer to your question, MTPDK2 has an interface into which one drops intro.'s, fills, and so on, which go together to make up the whole drum track for the song.

There is an 'instruction' in this window to drag the finished assembly into any DAW. This instruction/suggestion says, "Drag and Drop Your Grooves and Fills Here...Then Drag and Drop the Composition Into Your DAW".

Will look at the video you posted the link to now.

Thanks.

Last edited by gvdv; 04-05-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
gvdv

Hi Solger,
Thanks for posting that video link - I like Kenny's videos a lot.

Perhaps I should have been a little clearer and said that I am not familiar with using MIDI in Reaper - I do have experience of using it in GarageBand.

So, the video was helpful in explaining how to set up a Reaper track to record MIDI input, but I was not looking to record MIDI 'live' here; rather, I would like to find a way of monitoring the playback of the already created MIDI file so that I can hear it.

I am obviously doing something wrong here.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
lowerbout

Check that master channel is on (blue light) and is up in MTDrumkit mixer and that its midi channel is set to all to test. All individual channels should be on too.
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
atza

Check if midi notes are on different channel than 10
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
gvdv

Hi lowerbout and atza,
Many thanks for your replies.

All of the settings were the same in MTPDK2 and Reaper as they were when I used the programs yesterday, after successfully downloading and installing MTPDK2, but today, for some reason, everything works!

I would feel more reassured about solving this problem next time if I knew what was different, but I am more than satisfied at this point.

Thanks for your help.

All the best,
Old 04-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Fat_Basterd

Hey folks,

I have a similar situation, so not to hijack this thread but if I put everything into one track, I get no audio when I record. If I split everything up into separate channels I get very low level audio but it does record it...

I am at a loss here. Any ideas?
Fat_Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Basterd View Post
I have a similar situation, so not to hijack this thread but if I put everything into one track, I get no audio when I record.
1) Right-Click on the Track Record Arm Button -> Record: Output
2) Choose an appropriate option like Record: Output (Stereo) to record the audio output of the plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Basterd View Post
If I split everything up into separate channels I get very low level audio but it does record it...
Check the levels for each channel in the mixer panel inside the plugin.

Otherwise can you attach a sample .RPP project file so I can check how your current routing settings look like: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670

Last edited by solger; 04-06-2017 at 03:48 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
daddyfatsnacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post

I had a similar problem that ended up being a MIDI channel issue. If you changed the MASTER MIDI Channel in the MTPDK2 Mixer then you might have the same issue.
When you make a groove in MTPDK2 and drag and drop in to your track all the midi events seem to be on channel 1 regardless of what MASTER MIDI Channel you have set in the MTPDK2 Mixer. So if you have the MASTER MIDI Channel set to something other than ALL or 1 the midi from the groove will not playback in your track. There are a few things you can do:
1) In MTPDK2 you can set the MASTER MIDI Channel to ALL in the Mixer
2) In MTPDK2 you can set the MASTER MIDI Channel to 1 in the Mixer
3) If you don’t want to do either of the above then you can change all of the midi events in the groove that you drag and dropped in to your track to match the MASTER MIDI Channel you have selected in the MTPDK2 Mixer.
-In your track, open the MIDI take by double clicking the MTPDK2 Composition that was created when you drag and dropped from MTPDK2
-Now choose the event list view in the toolbar of the MIDI take
-Select All, then right click, choose Set Event Channel, and then change to whatever channel you have selected in the MASTER MIDI Channel in MTPDK2
daddyfatsnacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
planetnine

Check that you have the option set to run plugins while the transport is stopped..?

>