Old 07-25-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
harphunt
Human being with feelings

Default 32 vs 64 bit version

I have a newer iMac and am wondering which bit-rate to use. I am assuming bigger is better. I'm moving up from Reaper v2.58 so my knowledge base is somewhat limited. Thanks.

peace
Old 07-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
Xenakios

It has nothing to do with "bit rate", but about which CPU instructions are used. (64 bit CPU allows using much more memory than 32 bit.)

You should preferably use 64 bit applications on newer Macs, but if you have lots of old 32 bit plugins, you may reconsider that. (32 bit plugins don't work directly with the 64 bit Reaper binary and have to be "bridged", which has its own problems.)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
harphunt

I'm kind of starting over with recording so 64 it is. Unfortunately, all the plugins I have are .dll and won't work with the iMac as I understand things. i.e. Kjaerhus Classics
Old 07-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by harphunt View Post
I'm kind of starting over with recording so 64 it is. Unfortunately, all the plugins I have are .dll and won't work with the iMac as I understand things. i.e. Kjaerhus Classics
Yeah, .dll plugins are for Windows and can't feasibly used on Mac OS-X.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
csharp

Default 64 version over 32.

i just started on downloading the plugins to find some didnt work. Just learned from this thread, .dll files won't work on mac. ok. and also learned that i needed the 64 bit version. so i got that one. and plugins worked. However, my question is,

do i just throw that 32 bit version in the trash? just keep the 64 one. It looks like both versions carry the same information, or relate to it. I am new to computers too !! Does this make sense ? this question? thanks
csharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #6
mucknog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
You should preferably use 64 bit applications on newer Macs, but if you have lots of old 32 bit plugins, you may reconsider that. (32 bit plugins don't work directly with the 64 bit Reaper binary and have to be "bridged", which has its own problems.)
I totally agree using 64bit REAPER but which problems do you encounter using bridged plugins?
I still use a lot of x86 plugins (all with embedded UI) and have never experienced any problem.