Old 07-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
famous beagle
Human being with feelings

Default Question about using outboard effects

So I want to apply some spring reverb to a guitar track that's already recorded, and I want to use my outboard spring reverb unit. I looked in the manual and saw how to do this with ReaInsert, but, as far as I can tell, there's no way to adjust the mix of the dry track and the effect from Reaper; I would have to adjust the amount of reverb externally, which I don't want to do. I'd like to have more control than that. (If I'm wrong about this, please correct me.)

So I figured out how to set up a hardware send from the guitar track to output 3 of my AI (outputs 1 and 2 are my main outs). That went into the reverb, and the output of the reverb went into input 13 on my AI.

Then I set up a reverb return track and assigned input 13 to it. I armed the track, and that's great. Everything works. I have independent control over the dry track, the send level, and the return level.

There's only one problem now. When I render a track, it's not recording the reverb. I'm guessing this is because it's just an armed track input signal.

So my question is, how do I get it to record the reverb when I render?

Do I have to print the reverb track first and then render? Or is there some kind of setting that would allow the render to include the armed track signal?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
famous beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Mikethebass

Hi Beagle,

I had a similar issue using entirely different software / hardware.

As I remember I had to record the track being sent through the fx onto a new track. I could then mix the fx track with the original then render as normal.

Hope this helps.
Mikethebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
famous beagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethebass View Post
Hi Beagle,

I had a similar issue using entirely different software / hardware.

As I remember I had to record the track being sent through the fx onto a new track. I could then mix the fx track with the original then render as normal.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Yeah I knew (or was pretty sure) that would work if nothing else. I was just wondering if there was a way to not have to print the effect.

You know, like with an analog setup .. you can have channels sent through an aux send to a reverb unit and have that returned. Then that FX return will get passed on through to the main mix, and therefore be recorded during mixdown.

Since rendering is kind of like the digital version of mixdown, I was thinking there would be a way to do the same thing. But maybe not.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
jrk

Does "Save live output to disk" work?
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
famous beagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Does "Save live output to disk" work?
I haven't tried that, but I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion!