Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
kingocounty
Human being with feelings

Default Waves plugin GUI issue (FIXED)

I've found that all Waves plugins I've tried don't display properly in Reaper (4.32 64-bit on OSX 10.8.2). The GUI is stretched (or shrunk) to fill the FX window, no matter what size it is. When a Waves effect is selected from the MCP and is floating, it displays normally. I've tried changed the FX resizing options and this has no effect. This happens with AU and VST versions of the effects.

I'm not sure if this is a Reaper or a Waves issue but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I've attached an example screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-03-10 at 8.47.00 AM.jpg (33.2 KB, 3684 views)

Last edited by kingocounty; 03-10-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Whoops...
kingocounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
4double

this is still happening with the latest and greatest version Reaper and with Waves V9...
4double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
bitrate

I have also noted the following problem in the Waves V9 VST (not AU) versions:

The GUI has an issue where clicking on an item (such as the Load menu, or a control knob) will not operate and the mouse cursor will become "lost". It doesn't crash REAPER, but it takes a moment or two to find the mouse cursor as it disappears from the screen.

Thank you!
bitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
kingocounty

I uninstalled and reinstalled my Waves plugins using the latest installers and can confirm that the AU plugins display normally but the VSTs still exhibit the same behaviour, as noted above.
kingocounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
djdanlib

When you break the plugin out to its own window, the top bar with the Reaper-added parts like mix, bypass, I/O controls, etc. interferes with the main plugin GUI and overlaps the Waves top bar where you'd do your A/B, load/save, etc. There is some weird scroll bar happening on the right side of that top bar, where you can scroll ALMOST all the way down and gain access to the Waves top bar. The Reaper top bar scrolls up but the Waves plugin GUI stays in the same location. If you scroll that all the way down, the GUI becomes pretty useless thanks to mouse events being offset by about the height of a mouse pointer. (edit: Also, the scroll bar disappears if you scroll all the way down, so you can't get the Reaper GUI back without closing and reopening the plugin window.) This scroll bar is not the same one that appears if you resize the window to be smaller than the plugin GUI, and you cannot fix it by resizing the window to fit both the Waves and Reaper top bars.

Original post
djdanlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Emmett_Brown

I am having the same issue. 64 bit Reaper on Mac OSX 10.7.5, with Waves 9.2. The UI is stretched and distorted, and the waves toolbar is not accessible, which makes it difficult to use the plugins. For example, on Waves NLS, it is not possible to switch between the different consoles, it is stuck on Spike.
Emmett_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
skallion

I'm also experiencing problems on 4.402. The new 64 bit vst's have some minor graphics smearing on the text as well as some funky behaviour when trying to click on the parameters e.g. yellow box appears around parameter and I have to click outside then back o the parameter to change it.

The 64bit AU plugins have extreme graphic distortion. Completely unusable. This was not the case under 4.32 but som plugins like api 2500's VU meter did not move at all.

I run OSX 10.6.8 on a hackintosh with;
i7 2600k
8GB ram
Radeon 6800

No graphics issues using Logic Pro 9.1.7

Last edited by skallion; 05-14-2013 at 02:47 AM.
skallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Emmett_Brown

Ok, so I am new to reporting Reaper bugs... is there a help desk of some kind where we can open a ticket to get some assistance, or is this the only place we can report it? If this is the place, what would be a next step toward getting some troubleshooting assistance?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
sgarapolo

have to jump onboard watching this one, i have the same problem, but i've never seen that scroll bar. I have the Waves toolbar up top, but no reaper actions... i've been using the check box to unselect a certain plug to bypass, clunky!
sgarapolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Calculomicon

I'll add some "goodies" to this party... I started a thread over in another part of the forum... probably the wrong part, but here is a link the the image as I see the plugins also... similar to what others say.

http://forum.cockos.com/attachment.p...3&d=1369638757
Calculomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
IntoEntropy

has this issue been resolved somehow? im also getting this on my mac. osx 10.8.3
IntoEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Dutchy

Bump!

I've been having trouble with Waves and Reaper for quite some time already. Everything works just fine until I try to hide the GUI to do something else, which is when the whole system crashes...

Win 7 32bit
Reaper (newest version) 32bit
ASIO4All with several interfaces (mostly Focusrite Saffire 6 USB and MOTU 828mkII USB2.0)

The plugins do exactly what they should, passing through and changing audio (in a good way), they just fail on me when I try to hide a GUI, so any session with Waves is usually a very short one...

Dutchy
Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
tbdroye

Default Not a great fix, but...

For those of you experiencing the mysterious "stretching" GUI issue with Waves plugins in Mac OSX, I've discovered that, in the FX browser, if you right click on the offending Waves plugins (all of them, basically) and choose "Run as: separate process," the GUI stretching will stop, and the interface will work correctly. You might have to close Reaper and restart it for these changes to affect plugins already inside a session.

There is one drawback: the whole "bridging process" or whatever opens up two windows, which is a pain. But, if you're like me--and totally bothered by the GUI issue--this was a welcome temporary solution, until the Cockos guys can nip this issue in the bud.

Hope this helps!

Dutchy, not sure if this is the solution for you. I had a similar problem to yours when I was using a PC though. I'd load a certain number of instances of Waves plugins, and Reaper would crash. I put a new--and better--video card in the PC, and that totally fixed the problem. Perhaps that would help you as well. It doesn't need to be a fancy video card.
tbdroye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
chip mcdonald

Something of a tangent, but one day I would like to know why Waves seems to expressly not support Reaper? Is it for political reasons regarding the other "big" DAWS, or because of some peculiar API quirk that only Waves seems to have problems with?

There seems to be a very "strong" tie between Waves and Digi/Avid....?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #15
Emmett_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdroye View Post
For those of you experiencing the mysterious "stretching" GUI issue with Waves plugins in Mac OSX, I've discovered that, in the FX browser, if you right click on the offending Waves plugins (all of them, basically) and choose "Run as: separate process," the GUI stretching will stop, and the interface will work correctly. You might have to close Reaper and restart it for these changes to affect plugins already inside a session.

There is one drawback: the whole "bridging process" or whatever opens up two windows, which is a pain. But, if you're like me--and totally bothered by the GUI issue--this was a welcome temporary solution, until the Cockos guys can nip this issue in the bud.

Hope this helps!

Dutchy, not sure if this is the solution for you. I had a similar problem to yours when I was using a PC though. I'd load a certain number of instances of Waves plugins, and Reaper would crash. I put a new--and better--video card in the PC, and that totally fixed the problem. Perhaps that would help you as well. It doesn't need to be a fancy video card.
Well, yeah that helps a little, but you are right, the separate window thing gets old fast. One of the reasons I upgraded to 64 bit Reaper was to get rid of all the floating windows, since it just kills the workflow. It would be great if the Cockos devs could put a little priority on this one :-). Please help us with this issue, pretty please :-)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
djdanlib

This is still an issue in 4.5.2.

Windows 7 x64: OK

2012 iMac: Not OK
djdanlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #17
airon

Since Waves just released the AAX 64-bit update, this may be a good time to ask Cockos to test Reaper with those plugins(VST/AU 64-bit OSX).

The AAX update is a separate download though. Wves v9r13 is still the current one.

A lot of folks use these, so it would be worth it to get the bottom of this.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
BobTash

Howdo,
I's BobTash and I's new in town.Thought I'd share me recent experiences with a problem that I see many,many people have had and are having with regards to Waves plugins.

I've had LOADS of trouble with Waves in Reaper (occasional crashing/freeze at load-up/No GUI's,just blank boxes (etc..etc...the same old same old).

It has still been possible to use the plugins without the nice virtual knobs and buttons and such sometimes but it took a whole load of fun out of the process when all I had was the Reaper generic interface to set levels etc rather than the beautifully rendered Waves graphics but thankfully last nite I found a solution that works for me and hopefully will work for you too (if you're on Win 7/Win 8 that is!)

All I did was to activate the 'secret' hidden admin account (if need be there are step-by-step walkthroughs of how to do this out there in the cybers.It be just a Google away).

I then signed in to the aforementioned admin account and ran Reaper and now all those black or white panels where the lovely graphics shoulda bin are a thing of the past.

I think the problem was Windows blocking the C++ (etc..) redist packages that usually install alongside the application when you first install it.These are obviously required to run the plugis properly but you may well be unaware they had even installed.

The standard user 'admin' accounts on Win 8 (and probably Win7) apparently don't have the relevant 'permissions' and doing the old 'run as admin' thing wasn't working.All this is rectified with the admin account activated.

Hope this is useful to someone out there and maybe I can spare them all the sort of trouble and head scratching I went through to find a fix.

Cheers,
BT
BobTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
filterscope

Default Waves plugin GUI solution

I've found a solution.
Open Reaper, click on Options -> Preferences -> Plug-ins -> Automatically resize FX windows up and down both checked.

Close Reaper, re-open, create a track and add a Waves plugin, both VST and AU GUI's are not stretched anymore.
In the AU version you can see the Waves menu bar with presets, in VST not.
I'm on Reaper 4.57 64bit Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Waves plugins at the latest version of 9.

I don't know if this method works on Windows, but I hope.
filterscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #20
dubclub

Default Still an issue in 4.591

I am getting the same issue in V4.591 running on OSX 10.85 Waves version 9.13

I use 64bit for obvious reasons. I use VST versions so i can be compatible with Windows projects. Not only do i not see the top bar for loading presets etc., some of the controls do not work. In this case i am using C1 Comp mono. I can switch the UI off but then i cannot see the response to changes in compressor settings. Also the AU versions occasionally has white blocks over some or all of the controls. Pics attached (edit) I did try the above suggestion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 12.15.00 PM.jpg (38.3 KB, 1347 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 12.15.04 PM.png (27.2 KB, 994 views)

Last edited by dubclub; 01-26-2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added info
dubclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #21
Vendetta V

I can't believe this is still an issue.
I just moved to Mavericks and this issue is completely killing me!

Are there no reasonable solutions at least for now?

Reaper is really pushing me back from it on Mavericks.

Worked all fine on Windows.
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #22
DoglegSniff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
I can't believe this is still an issue.
I just moved to Mavericks and this issue is completely killing me!

Are there no reasonable solutions at least for now?

Reaper is really pushing me back from it on Mavericks.

Worked all fine on Windows.
Yeah, still stinking things up - I run Mac in the studio, but PC in the house. Where I've had a go with a Waves plug-in on the Mac, then brough the tracks in for a run through on the PC, the Waves GUI is perfect on the PC, but a complete PITA on the Mac.

What gives!?
DoglegSniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #23
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoglegSniff View Post
Yeah, still stinking things up - I run Mac in the studio, but PC in the house. Where I've had a go with a Waves plug-in on the Mac, then brough the tracks in for a run through on the PC, the Waves GUI is perfect on the PC, but a complete PITA on the Mac.

What gives!?
this is really bothering me since that's the only issue right now that is a major flow in my reaper workflow.

:shrug:

DEVS HELP!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #24
soundsol

Running OSX 10.8 64 bit with Waves Plug Ins and i'm afraid that i am a member of this club also.
soundsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
pattste

Devs have been silent on this long standing issue. Are other DAWs affected or is it only REAPER? I'm wondering if maybe the problem is with Waves and Cockos can't do much about it?
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #26
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Devs have been silent on this long standing issue. Are other DAWs affected or is it only REAPER? I'm wondering if maybe the problem is with Waves and Cockos can't do much about it?
Logic opens up Waves very well and so does Audition :shrug:
It IS reaper related
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #27
Gastric

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterscope View Post
I've found a solution.
Open Reaper, click on Options -> Preferences -> Plug-ins -> Automatically resize FX windows up and down both checked.
Initial testing seems to support this working on Mac OSX Mavericks. However, it does introduce some visible resizing when selecting various plugins. But at least the Waves plugins no longer have to be run in float to be used.
Gastric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #28
tylerjpines

I'm seeing the same problem, and I've attached a screenshot. I'm in the x64 version, and pretty much every Waves plugin is off by enough pixels to be infuriating. You typically have to click a little to the bottom-left of the actual graphic that you are targeting.

In addition, the host Reaper plugin menu bar covers the Waves menu bar. Because of the aforementioned alignment issue, I can actually click Presets, A/B, etc, but I have to guess where they are. Gross! Screenshot attached.

Any traction here? Does cockos have a way to bubble up important issues?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-05-08 at 1.47.44 PM.jpg (43.0 KB, 1194 views)
tylerjpines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #29
stereolost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjpines View Post
I'm seeing the same problem, and I've attached a screenshot. I'm in the x64 version, and pretty much every Waves plugin is off by enough pixels to be infuriating. You typically have to click a little to the bottom-left of the actual graphic that you are targeting.

In addition, the host Reaper plugin menu bar covers the Waves menu bar. Because of the aforementioned alignment issue, I can actually click Presets, A/B, etc, but I have to guess where they are. Gross! Screenshot attached.

Any traction here? Does cockos have a way to bubble up important issues?
Hey, i'm having the very same GUI issue on Mac, and it is easily solved - simply use AU versions of Waves plugins. They are perfectly fine. All the Waves VST stuff you can just rename to a blank name, which hides them from Reaper FX browser.

Same thing with UAD plugins - upper part of GUI (where presets are) is covered by Reaper's menu in VST, while AU versions are ok.
stereolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:43 AM   #30
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereolost View Post
Hey, i'm having the very same GUI issue on Mac, and it is easily solved - simply use AU versions of Waves plugins. They are perfectly fine. All the Waves VST stuff you can just rename to a blank name, which hides them from Reaper FX browser.

Same thing with UAD plugins - upper part of GUI (where presets are) is covered by Reaper's menu in VST, while AU versions are ok.
Is it really working for you? I am having the same issue regardless VST and AU... crap this is getting on me pretty bad cause Waves is like 2/3 of my workflow
Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #31
vanhaze

My experience with Waves AU plugins (latest version) in Reaper - 64bit:

Not all AU's are "GUI glitch free" for me.
But most of them are fine.

OSX 10.10.3
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #32
ivansc

Heh - I told you them apple thangs wuz too fancy!

Gits yer a Pee Cee, bubba!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #33
stereolost

Quote:
Is it really working for you? I am having the same issue regardless VST and AU... crap this is getting on me pretty bad cause Waves is like 2/3 of my workflow
I have Waves Gold bundle, MannyM bundle and couple other single plugs - all of them are glitch free if AU versions. VST and VST3 (in Reaper pre-release version) have GUI bugs.
Do you have the latest waves update?
stereolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #34
Mogwai

The Waves V9 plugins are still having GUI issues with Reaper 5 + OS X (tested Gold Bundle, SSL4000. OS X 10.9.5) It seems it’s still possible to work with them but you have to know which plugin architecture to choose.

Someone really should look into this, Waves plugins being sort of a standard in pro audio industry. I wonder if this is a problem of the Waves plugins or Reaper?

32-bit Reaper 5.01:

- AU: Mouse control works erratically. Impossible to adjust values. Scroll wheel can be used to set values after clicking the GUI knob though. When mouse button is released from the control the mouse cursor jumps away from the plugin window to the upper left corner of the screen.

- VST: works fine

- VST3: Same as 32-bit AU

64-bit Reaper 5.01:

- AU: works fine

- VST: The GUI controls have a wrong offset in relation to the mouse cursor. The mouse has to be pointed below the GUI knob, (not to the knob itself) and then it’s possible to adjust the control. Plugins are not really usable this way.

- VST3: Same as 64-bit VST

Last edited by Mogwai; 09-05-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #35
vanhaze

I feel your pain, same issues here.

I believe to recall here somewhere that the problem is due to Waves, not Reaper.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:30 AM   #36
Vendetta V

when you say AU works fine. have you tried resizing the window? Does it resize? Does it look awful then? That's what I get :/
Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #37
Mogwai

Quote:
when you say AU works fine. have you tried resizing the window? Does it resize? Does it look awful then? That's what I get :/
You are right. Looks like they are not meant to be resized but Reaper allows this and starts scaling things up and down. Resizing messes up the au plugin GUI and also the mouse controls.

However, the interface can be restored by closing and reopening the plugin from the insert slot. VST version doesn't mind resizing. But VST GUI seems to work only with 32-bit Reaper or when ran as separate process in 64-bit (on my workstation, that is)
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #38
phNord

Okay, here's what's going on.

From what I can tell, plugin windows are *not* meant to be resized –*VST or AU

Plugins expect to float in a window of a size announced to the host application (Reaper, in this case) when instantiated.

REAPER, however, makes all of it's windows flexible and thus allows plugin windows to be resized.

For most plugin manufacturers, this is not an issue. They display their GUI at the same size regardless of the size of the window they exist in, and as such don't stretch when REAPER's window is bigger or smaller than expected.

However... Waves has written their GUI to work differently.

Waves does request a window of a specific size – but then, for whatever reason, will stretch / shrink both horizontally and vertically to fill the space provided for it.

And this is hugely, hugely problematic.

The biggest issue is the mouse coordinates: these do not change / are not scaled with the drawing of the window. So when you click 10 pixels from the left, the plugin thinks, "Oh that's where we have a volume slider displayed"*– when in fact, due to the window stretching, 10 pixels from the left is no longer where the volume slider is.

The other big issue is that, for whatever reason, while the AU version of the Waves plugin is correctly told the size of the display-area, the VST version is told the size of the display-area + the REAPER menu GUI up top. This leads it to draw extra stuff off-screen, under the REAPER menu stuff.

The most logical solution for Cockos would be to lock all plugins into displaying into a space that is the size initially requested by said plugin, and not allow that space to change size regardless of what happens to the window around it. That would solve all of these issues.

On our end, though, until Cockos fixes that is to:

• Turn on both "Automatically Resize FX Windows" boxes
• Not resize windows
• Stick with AU whenever possible
phNord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #39
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by phNord View Post
Okay, here's what's going on.

From what I can tell, plugin windows are *not* meant to be resized –*VST or AU

Plugins expect to float in a window of a size announced to the host application (Reaper, in this case) when instantiated.

REAPER, however, makes all of it's windows flexible and thus allows plugin windows to be resized.

For most plugin manufacturers, this is not an issue. They display their GUI at the same size regardless of the size of the window they exist in, and as such don't stretch when REAPER's window is bigger or smaller than expected.

However... Waves has written their GUI to work differently.

Waves does request a window of a specific size – but then, for whatever reason, will stretch / shrink both horizontally and vertically to fill the space provided for it.

And this is hugely, hugely problematic.

The biggest issue is the mouse coordinates: these do not change / are not scaled with the drawing of the window. So when you click 10 pixels from the left, the plugin thinks, "Oh that's where we have a volume slider displayed"*– when in fact, due to the window stretching, 10 pixels from the left is no longer where the volume slider is.

The other big issue is that, for whatever reason, while the AU version of the Waves plugin is correctly told the size of the display-area, the VST version is told the size of the display-area + the REAPER menu GUI up top. This leads it to draw extra stuff off-screen, under the REAPER menu stuff.

The most logical solution for Cockos would be to lock all plugins into displaying into a space that is the size initially requested by said plugin, and not allow that space to change size regardless of what happens to the window around it. That would solve all of these issues.

On our end, though, until Cockos fixes that is to:

• Turn on both "Automatically Resize FX Windows" boxes
• Not resize windows
• Stick with AU whenever possible
So logically since Waves appears to be unique in requesting fixed window size and then ignoring that it asked for it to be fixed and obeying stretch commands, which break the Waves plug GUI, this would appear to be a Waves bug and probably why they choose to not support reaper - cheaper than fixing their bug.
Pragmatically, since cockos are normally very responsive, we can expect a fix from the devs that will accommodate this.
Considering how much money we pay waves when the update plan is taken into consideration, it would be nice to think that they might stop burying their collective head in the sand sometime soon.
Oh and your idea of locking all plugins is great apart from I wonder how many Other vendors plugins that already behave themselves properly would either have their features limited by this or indeed become broken because of it.
Knotty one.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #40
Tuberizer

Bumping this up again.

Still an issue. I cant believe it. First post in this thread was from March 2013, more than two and a half years later this hasnt been fixed.

Someone really should look into this, Waves plugins being sort of a standard in pro audio industry.

How do we (the community) get the developers to fix it asap?
Tuberizer is offline   Reply With Quote