Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
stratman
Human being with feelings

Default Has anyone tried a Pod HD yet?

I'm looking for an ultra portable set up for gigging and recording. I'm getting old and I've got a bad back.

My Pod X3 is OK for recording, but I'd like something better (more 'real amp like' in terms of feel and sound). Also, for a couple of very small gigs, I've used my Pod X3 through a Roland Cube 60. Even though band members told me they liked the sound, I wasn't happy because it didn't 'feel' right.

Has anyone tried a Pod HD yet? How good is the recorded sound and how does it 'feel' and 'cut through' in a live context?

I keep checking reviews and I'm going to try one out, but it's difficult to tell until you use these things as a part of the recording process and live.

Also, how does it compare to an Fractal Axe-Fx and an Eleven Rack, both for recording and live.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 10-19-2010 at 04:19 PM.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I'm looking for an ultra portable set up for gigging and recording. I'm getting old and I've got a bad back.

My Pod X3 is OK for recording, but I'd like something better (more 'real amp like' in terms of feel and sound). Also, for a couple of very small gigs, I've used my Pod X3 through a Roland Cube 60. Even though band members told me they liked the sound, I wasn't happy because it didn't 'feel' right.

Has anyone tried a Pod HD yet? How good is the recorded sound and how does it 'feel' and 'cut through' in a live context?

I keep checking reviews and I'm going to try one out, but it's difficult to tell until you use these things as a part of the recording process and live.

Also, how does it compare to an Fractal Axe-Fx and an Eleven Rack, both for recording and live.

Pete
They don't have them here yet, I'm going to schlep my axe over to GC as soon as it arrives. Getting closer though as I see every day they migrate closer.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
vassago

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post

Pete
Line6 missed the opportunity to correct the most imbecile mistake they have made for years: the F'N SCREEN IS TOO SMALL, you need binoculars to see a damn thing on that! Standing up you just see a lighted squared with dark spots....how dumb can they be??? People have been complaining about this for YEARS!!!

Sound wise...repackaged PODX3...same thing, nothing new, they just tweaked the outside to feel more like a pedal board and less of a modeler.

My conclusion is buy a GT8 used if you are looking at the POD HD500. More pedals than you will ever use and the interface of the GT is much simpler to use once you get the hang of it, and you can see what's on the screen when standing up!

For the smaller PD HD, for the money they are way better than anything Digitech so I think they do make sense and sound wise, well, it's a line6 PODX3 when we all know what to expect.

Comparing a PD HD to an Axe-Fx is like asking if a Ferrari is faster than a Mustang... 500$ vs 1500$ ... apples with oranges. Axe-FX smokes anything Line6 for breakfast sound wise.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago View Post
Line6 missed the opportunity to correct the most imbecile mistake they have made for years: the F'N SCREEN IS TOO SMALL, you need binoculars to see a damn thing on that! Standing up you just see a lighted squared with dark spots....how dumb can they be??? People have been complaining about this for YEARS!!!

Sound wise...repackaged PODX3...same thing, nothing new, they just tweaked the outside to feel more like a pedal board and less of a modeler.

My conclusion is buy a GT8 used if you are looking at the POD HD500. More pedals than you will ever use and the interface of the GT is much simpler to use once you get the hang of it, and you can see what's on the screen when standing up!

For the smaller PD HD, for the money they are way better than anything Digitech so I think they do make sense and sound wise, well, it's a line6 PODX3 when we all know what to expect.

Comparing a PD HD to an Axe-Fx is like asking if a Ferrari is faster than a Mustang... 500$ vs 1500$ ... apples with oranges. Axe-FX smokes anything Line6 for breakfast sound wise.
I'm sorry, most of this is objectively incorrect (everything after the screen size complaint, which frankly I haven't seen anyone complain about over on the L6 board, but obviously I'm not going to argue about something purely subjective).

First, the HD is *not* repackaged X3 tech - indeed, one of the criticisms from some of the HD users is that there aren't enough amps like there were in the X3. They reshot all their amp sims and added 10x the data to each model. Having owned an XT, and X3 and now and HD, I can assure you the step up in the HD series is like night and day. The clean and crunch sounds are soooo much more nuanced, so much more jangley and chimey that no set of ears worth listening to would suggest that the HD is just repackaged X3 technology.

As between the GT and the HD, only someone interested *purely* in FX should consider the GT. The HD does have all new fx from the M13/M9 line, and they generally are on par with the best aspect of the GT - it's effects. Whether the Boss or L6 effects are better will come down to individual tastes. But I dont' think I've seen or heard a single person who has experienced both the GT and the HD amp modeling say that the GT amp modeling is better. Most agreed that the X3 was better than the GT on the amp modeling side. Now that the HD has essentially similar routing flexibility, again the only real reason to consider a GT is if you are in love with Boss effects.

And Stratman, I'd suggest you listen to side by side comparisons between the Axe-fx and the HD yourself before taking the word of an obvious Fractal fanboy. The Axe-fx is obviously a great unit, but statements like "Axe-FX smokes anything Line6 for breakfast sound wise" is drastic hyperbole not borne out by soundclips comparing the two units.

As it happens, I am aware of at least two former Axe-Fx users who are giving up their Axe-Fx's for the HD500. I'm sure there are, and will be, others, as the HD's just hit stores this last weekend.

Cheers,

Fester2k
fester2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
lxm

i REALLY dont like line 6. they love to just repack old crap and sell it as new.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
TheJyNx2

I want to try one but the store doesn't carry them yet...
TheJyNx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
theopposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
i REALLY dont like line 6. they love to just repack old crap and sell it as new.
again, that ISNT what they did this time.
theopposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
TheJyNx2

Quote:
Im with you on this all their stuff sounds like it hasnt revolved at all.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
theopposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJyNx2 View Post
revolved? Is there gravity acting on it or something?

Last edited by theopposite; 10-21-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
TheJyNx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theopposite View Post
revolved? Is there gravity acting on it or something?
"evolved" thankyou for pointing out a speeling error lol. Maybe you should "revolve" off a bridge.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
fester2000

Quote:
There's no way you're referring to the Pod HD line - it doesn't sound like anything L6 has ever done before. Go give one a spin (and/or listen to the posted clips online) before making up your mind, trust me. You may like it, you may not, but you won't say "this sounds and feels like the X3 to me," of that you can be sure.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
TheJyNx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester2000 View Post
There's no way you're referring to the Pod HD line - it doesn't sound like anything L6 has ever done before. Go give one a spin (and/or listen to the posted clips online) before making up your mind, trust me. You may like it, you may not, but you won't say "this sounds and feels like the X3 to me," of that you can be sure.

Cheers,

Fester2k
I want to try one out once they get them in forsure. I have bought a x3 before so i know how it sounds. so once i try the pod hd ill definitely know if ftheres a difference or not. Hopefully they get rid of the fizz which always annoyed me.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
theopposite

Quote:
"evolved" thankyou for pointing out a speeling error lol. Maybe you should "revolve" off a bridge.
oh hey, sense of humor called. She misses you.

Oh yeah, also you were wrong anyway. It HAS "evolved."
Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
TheJyNx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theopposite View Post
oh hey, sense of humor called. She misses you.

Oh yeah, also you were wrong anyway. It HAS "evolved."
Im sorry but thats a lame sense of humor. Anyways if your not here to post about pod hd why you here? Get a life instead of pointing out peoples spelling errors or "trying" to be funny. loser
Old 10-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
theopposite

Quote:
Im sorry but thats a lame sense of humor. Anyways if your not here to post about pod hd why you here? Get a life instead of pointing out peoples spelling errors or "trying" to be funny. loser
I already HAVE commented on this particular issue, whereas you have just made an ass of yourself.

kudos.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #16
ieso

As a former and current customer of Line6 my opinion, based on about 12 years of experience with quite a few of their products, is simply this: good software burdened by junk hardware and AD/DA that varies between mediocre to atrocious. If you're okay with throwing your money away on disposable goods then you'll probably be happy with it.

As a marketing and hype machine, Line6 may be unrivaled but as a manufacturer of McAmps (etc.) they do no better than their competitors (Digitech et al) at the low end of the market. If you're lucky whatever you buy from them will last a good while and, if you're unlucky, it will break shortly after the warranty period expires.

Is it going to sound and feel like a 'real' amp? We can fool ourselves into believing anything we want to believe. ;-) L6 has been making that claim since day one and they've never managed to pull it off, IMO.

YMMV
ieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieso View Post
As a former and current customer of Line6 my opinion, based on about 12 years of experience with quite a few of their products, is simply this: good software burdened by junk hardware and AD/DA that varies between mediocre to atrocious. If you're okay with throwing your money away on disposable goods then you'll probably be happy with it.

As a marketing and hype machine, Line6 may be unrivaled but as a manufacturer of McAmps (etc.) they do no better than their competitors (Digitech et al) at the low end of the market. If you're lucky whatever you buy from them will last a good while and, if you're unlucky, it will break shortly after the warranty period expires.

Is it going to sound and feel like a 'real' amp? We can fool ourselves into believing anything we want to believe. ;-) L6 has been making that claim since day one and they've never managed to pull it off, IMO.

YMMV
So...back to the original question - have you tried an HD? It's pretty clear you haven't, so why are you speculating on a subject on which you have no firsthand knowledge?

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
TheJyNx2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmcHJ...ext=1&index=14 this is good example. according to the guy he said it doesnt respond quite like the axefx while playing.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
fester2000

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmcHJ...ext=1&index=14 this is good example. according to the guy he said it doesnt respond quite like the axefx while playing.
Where, exactly, did he say that? I've seen those vids, and to me they clearly show that both sims are top notch - to my ears, the Pod stuff actually sounds better, but I think he scooped the Axe-Fx sounds a tad too much and boosted the Axe-Fx in the low end.

I know he made a reference to not liking the Pod's cab sims, but I think the recto shootout he did really showed that the difference between the two units is really a matter of subjective taste rather than one being clearly "superior" to the other. Some say they like the Pod, others like the Axe.

I've never played an Axe-Fx, so I can't compare it to playing the HD-500. I'd love to try one out, but there's no way on earth I'd pay the premium for that unit over the HD500. Others will feel differently, I'm sure...

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #20
fester2000

Default While we're on the subject

Here's an ebayer selling an Atomic FRFR powered cabinet formerly used with an Axe-Fx, which is being sold b/c the lister is moving to an HD500/DT50 rig.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
TheJyNx2

Quote:
Where, exactly, did he say that? I've seen those vids, and to me they clearly show that both sims are top notch - to my ears, the Pod stuff actually sounds better, but I think he scooped the Axe-Fx sounds a tad too much and boosted the Axe-Fx in the low end.

I know he made a reference to not liking the Pod's cab sims, but I think the recto shootout he did really showed that the difference between the two units is really a matter of subjective taste rather than one being clearly "superior" to the other. Some say they like the Pod, others like the Axe.

I've never played an Axe-Fx, so I can't compare it to playing the HD-500. I'd love to try one out, but there's no way on earth I'd pay the premium for that unit over the HD500. Others will feel differently, I'm sure...

Cheers,

Fester2k
He said it on the forums at ultimatemetal.com I think the pod hd sounds pretty good for $300 machine. He also made a video of using the pod hd with guitarhack impulses which sounded alot better. You should take a look at his videos they show alot of pod vs axefx or axefx vs dual rectifier (real amp).
Old 10-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
fester2000

Quote:
He said it on the forums at ultimatemetal.com I think the pod hd sounds pretty good for $300 machine. He also made a video of using the pod hd with guitarhack impulses which sounded alot better. You should take a look at his videos they show alot of pod vs axefx or axefx vs dual rectifier (real amp).
Oh, I was looking for it on the video or in the comments somewhere, so thanks for that.

So far the only real criticism of the unit I've heard from someone who's actually used it is that there aren't enough hardcore metal amp sims. Not everyone agrees with this view, mind you, but there are a couple folks who've made that complaint. Maybe my ear isn't tuned enough into the nuances of modern metal, but man I thought those Pod sounds by Feardse were outstanding, even back to back with real amps and the Axe-Fx.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
hwhalen

I have not heard the HD units.
However, I use a GuitarPort and a Toneport UX8.
I have GearBox, PodFarm and PodFarm 2.
Using the software as my preamp and effects source, I run my output to an H&K Tube 20.

I'll spend my money on laptops as I need a new one every couple of years anyway. I think the tone rocks.

Cheers!
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #24
Bevosss

Anyone know if the Pod Farm VST line will get the HD treatment?
Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #25
ieso

Quote:
So...back to the original question - have you tried an HD? It's pretty clear you haven't, so why are you speculating on a subject on which you have no firsthand knowledge?

Cheers,

Fester2k
I have extensive experience with the company and a wide range of their products. You think this thing is some radical exception to the way they've operated in the past?

People are free to blow money how ever they see fit, for something like this it's just chump change anyway, not out a lot when the car audio and cheap computer components in it fail.

Anyway, I was not directing my post at you, bub, so you can just cut the forum/Line 6 police act and go about your business. You seem to be swarming this thread pretty heavily.

"Cheers"
ieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
chrisharbin

Ouch!

Will be soon (hopefully) as our two GC's just got them in stock. Just a matter of having them out to try.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #27
Griffin

I work at a GC, and we just got the HD series in last week. I owned an XT Live years ago, and the HD series is a quantum leap in quality. I tinkered with it in the store for a few hours and wound up selling one that day.

Line 6 seems poised to compete with Digidesign's Eleven and the other higher caliber amp modeling hardware/software solutions. I was thoroughly impressed.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #28
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
I work at a GC, and we just got the HD series in last week. I owned an XT Live years ago, and the HD series is a quantum leap in quality. I tinkered with it in the store for a few hours and wound up selling one that day.

Line 6 seems poised to compete with Digidesign's Eleven and the other higher caliber amp modeling hardware/software solutions. I was thoroughly impressed.
That sounds cool, I'm gonna drag my guitar/ath50's over there (to one of them anyway) tonight. Like I said, I hope they have one out to try.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #29
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
That sounds cool, I'm gonna drag my guitar/ath50's over there (to one of them anyway) tonight. Like I said, I hope they have one out to try.
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Don't let them force you to play it through those gawd awful Ravens that they put all their pedals through. Bad amp, bad speaker, unusable as a tool to evaluate any pedal IMHO, Pod, analog or otherwise...

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #30
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Anyone know if the Pod Farm VST line will get the HD treatment?
I'm hoping so. I mean really - how could they not? The DSP in the HD500 is impressive but it can max out, especially in dual amp mode. Nearly any modern processor should be able to handle the full suite of amps and fx, presumably. And how hard would it be to name it?

"Pod Farm HD VST."

Done!

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #31
Chris_P_Critter

One thing that completely stands out to me is the built in cab models have always been a bit lacking. Can you load your own impulses or do you have to use the built in ones?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #32
fester2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_P_Critter View Post
One thing that completely stands out to me is the built in cab models have always been a bit lacking. Can you load your own impulses or do you have to use the built in ones?
Unfortunately, for live use, there's no way to insert third party cabs. The good news is that they improved cab modeling significantly as a part of the whole "HD" thing. Whether they stand up to Redwirez or other IR cabs remains to be seen. Or whether L6 opens up the architecture to allow third party cabs (I think everyone wants to see L6 include this as soon as possible). They added some cabs they've never modeled before along with four additional mics. So far, I've not made friends with either of the ribbon mics they modeled. Generally I'm sticking to either a 57 on axis, the 409 dynamic or one of the two condenser mics.

If you get a bad mismatch between the amp and cab you've selected, you'll hear a *lot* of blanket over the amp effect (especially on the high gain side). Fortunately, most of the default cab selections are pretty good. I've found what sound like better sounds on some of the clean amps using either the Hiwatt 4x12 or the Gibson coil speaker, surprisingly enough.

Cheers,

Fester2k
Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #33
chrisharbin

Quote:
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Don't let them force you to play it through those gawd awful Ravens that they put all their pedals through. Bad amp, bad speaker, unusable as a tool to evaluate any pedal IMHO, Pod, analog or otherwise...

Cheers,

Fester2k
haha! If I ever get to, I'm taking my good cans

Well, I tried but they didn't have anything left but the HD300's and neither one was willing to break one of those out of the box.......so no go
Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #34
chrisharbin

Well, I just tried it, and I've already boxed it back up for a return.

What I was expecting was something that would totally wow me, but to me it just wasn't that great. AAMOF, I have jam looper and it didn't sound THAT much better than that.

Frankly, I've become spoiled. I play while on my computer and GR4 or AT3 are imho light years ahead. ymmv, but there was nothing about it that was special.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #35
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
Well, I just tried it, and I've already boxed it back up for a return.

What I was expecting was something that would totally wow me, but to me it just wasn't that great. AAMOF, I have jam looper and it didn't sound THAT much better than that.

Frankly, I've become spoiled. I play while on my computer and GR4 or AT3 are imho light years ahead. ymmv, but there was nothing about it that was special.
GR is an amazing underused piece of software. you can get really deep with it. i use that and amp room for my direct stuff and it sounds amazing.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #36
Jim Roseberry

While I agree that Line-6 has repackaged a LOT of stuff in past POD offerings, the HD series is a very significant step forward quality wise.

I just setup a Fender Deluxe model with a tube driver model in front (1x12 cab)... and it sounds remarkably similar to my Fender HotRodDeluxe III with BlackStar tube driver. Far more realistic response/tone than previous generation PODs...
The older PODs (to my ears) sound static.
The HD500 sounds/responds in a more dynamic manner...

Nothing beats a great amp mic'd under ideal circumstances...
But the HD series brings the POD units one significant step closer to that ideal.
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #37
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roseberry View Post
While I agree that Line-6 has repackaged a LOT of stuff in past POD offerings, the HD series is a very significant step forward quality wise.

I just setup a Fender Deluxe model with a tube driver model in front (1x12 cab)... and it sounds remarkably similar to my Fender HotRodDeluxe III with BlackStar tube driver. Far more realistic response/tone than previous generation PODs...
The older PODs (to my ears) sound static.
The HD500 sounds/responds in a more dynamic manner...

Nothing beats a great amp mic'd under ideal circumstances...
But the HD series brings the POD units one significant step closer to that ideal.
See now, I'm surprised by that. Though it felt fine to play through, it lacked seriously compared to GR4 or AT3 in dynamic range. I mean, I'm pretty good at getting guitar tone (too bad about me not being that way playing wise LOL) and I mean, it was PAINFULLY different. And I tried it with cans, and through the spidf on the sound card (sounded best, but still...)

I dunno jim, your probably light years from me in knowledge so now I really confused
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #38
ivansc

guitar tone and amp response are subjective. You ant be objective about something subjective.

My pearl might well be your poo and vice vesa.
Me? I use a UX1, a Pod2, a wide panel tweed deluxe clone, a H&K Tubeman and an old early seventies Music man 65 210 combo.
Also several VST amp sims.
They all have their place and none of them sound as good as a Fender or a G&L straight through my home made deluxe.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #39
Chris_P_Critter

I don't care if it's a step forward technology wise - if you can't use your own cab impulses, the thing is a complete failure.

Note - I own several Line 6 products, and I use them extensively but sorry - if I had to choose between the AFX and the POD HD - the AFX would win, hands down.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #40
Magicbuss

Quote:
The HD is NOT, I repeat NOT repackaged X3 modeling (which BTW "was" repackaged XT modeling).

The feel is GREATLY improved. It responds to both picking and volume knob dynamics MUCH better than any previous effort by L6.

Now, There is still some fizz and the cab/mic models are a major weak link imo. For recording I will bypass the pod cabs and use redwire cabs. For live you are going to have to work around them for the best sound (pre/post EQ). Some models also have the dreaded ghost notes from the XT/X3. Namely the deluxe reverb, JTM-45 (faint but there), Dr. Z and AC-15.

The twin, ac-30, gibtone, and Dr. Z stand out for clean and crunch tones. I can't seem to dial in a killer plex crunch yet (not for lack of trying either) and the JCM 800 is dissapointing IMO. I also don't like any of the metal amps.

As an owner of the M13 and HD500 I will say that the FX are mostly good but the modulation and reverb FX and not as good as Boss or digitech.

Last edited by Magicbuss; 10-26-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote