Old 10-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
Purpleshadow0778
Human being with feelings

Default Tool for repairing corrupted Projects?

I was wondering if there is any tool for fixing corrupted projects? I have a few projects I have started quite some time ago and that now claim they can't see the Plug-ins but the same plug-ins are avaiable for new projects?

Any help would be appreciated
Purpleshadow0778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
lunker

Are you sure it is looking for the EXACT SAME plugin that you have now?

For example, did the old project use a 32-bit version of the plugin, and you have now upgraded to the 64-bit version? Or upgraded from VST2 to VST3?

If that’s the case, then installing the correct plugin version/format should solve the problem.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Fabian

Plugins are identified by Reaper by what is called an UUID, which is a code that the plugin gives to Reaper on request. If a new version of a plugin, say a 64-bit version, reports a different UUID, then Reaper considers it a different plugin.

So as Lunker says, install the old version teh plugin.

One thing that *might* work is if you manually change the FXID of that particular plugin in the old RPP file to the same as the FXID you get for that plugin in the new RPP file. Make a copy of the old RPP, open it in a text editor, open also a new RPP where that plugin works, and copy the FXID from the new one to the old one.

If the new version has a different structure of its setting, this will probably not work, but trying it is quick and easy, just be sure to make a copy of the old RPP and work on that.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Purpleshadow0778

I'm not sure if they are the exact same plug-in or not. I'm not sure how to check that.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Purpleshadow0778

I have just checked inside the rrp and they report the plug-ins differently. I suspect that has happened when I upgraded from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit. The problem now is the same plug in is installed but it now has a (x86) bracket in its name under the new project.

Based on this should I be able to just change the name in the rrp to include the (x86) to sort the problem?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleshadow0778 View Post
I have just checked inside the rrp and they report the plug-ins differently. I suspect that has happened when I upgraded from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit. The problem now is the same plug in is installed but it now has a (x86) bracket in its name under the new project.

Based on this should I be able to just change the name in the rrp to include the (x86) to sort the problem?
Make a copy of the RPP-file and try editing the copy. It might work, and if not you are back where you started.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
lunker

This may not be the way you want to handle it, but this is what I do:

1) Install both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the plugin (I have separate directories for 32-bit and 64-bit plugins, so that I can install them both even if they have the exact same *.dll file name).

2) Because I don't want to use the 32-bit plugins in new projects, I filter them from showing up in the plugin list when adding new FX (I forget the exact option, but it's on one of the VST pages in the Preferences dialog).

3) When I add the plugin to new projects, they get the 64-bit version (because it's the only one that shows up in the list). But old projects that use the 32-bit version will still open (because the 32-bit version is installed but hidden).

4) If I'm really motivated, I will add the 64-bit version of the plugin to the old project (using Save As to save it as a new version), and manually adjust the 64-bit plugin knobs/sliders/settings to match how the 32-bit version was set up. After it's working, I delete (or sometimes just disable) the 32-bit plugin. But usually I'm not that motivated unless I'm doing more than just re-rendering the old project.

I've used the trick of editing the plugin name in the .RPP file to change plugin versions (Kontakt4 to 5 to 6; Jamstix 3 to 4, etc.), but I don't recall if I have ever used that same trick to change a plugin from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version. It would only keep the same settings if they both use the same format for the state chunk data. I know that it doesn't work when trying to go from VST2 to VST3 (different state chunk formats), but state chunk formats for plugins is really outside my area of expertise. Maybe you'll get lucky!

Last edited by lunker; 10-14-2019 at 01:30 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Philbo King

In case this helps, (x86) ones are 32 bit versions.