Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER Contest - January 2017 (RESULTS)

REAPER CONTEST - JANUARY 2017
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)

MIXING: 5-22 January
VOTING: 23-29 January
RESULTS: 30 January

January 2017 winner: Indiscipline
December 2016 winner: Fergler
November 2016 winner: zacki
October 2016 winner: Indiscipline

Click here to download all the submissions.

Welcome everyone to the first REAPER Contest of 2017!

To start off January with some calm before we all fall into the stressful daily routine, I bring you the song Lookout Mountain by the band The Long Wait.

Conditions and steps to follow:

1) Download the source files from this link.

2) When you’ve mixed it send a zip file to reaper.contest@gmail.com with:
  • Your Reaper project
  • any reverb impulses you’ve used
  • any custom JSFX you’ve used (put them in an effect subfolder (project_path/Effects/))
  • any glued files which are NOT in the source folder. See below
  • a master mix (limited to -0.2 dB and at -14 LUFS): FLAC, 44.1 kHz, 24 bit
  • a note containing your username and your reaper profile URL
3) Go to http://bit.ly/2iEFnKR to listen to the submissions. Pick your 3 favourite mixes and take note of their ID numbers (look the track titles). You can also download the zip file "SUBMISSIONS" with an RPP containing all the files.

4) Go to this link and vote your 3 favourite mixes.

A few VERY important notes:
  • Don't rename the source files
  • Don't rename the source folder (leave it to "Source")
  • Avoid gluing items together, BUT if you really need to, then make sure they are in the source folder and include them in the zip you send me

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 11-03-2018 at 10:35 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
jpanderson80

I think that I'm good for it this month. So, just to be clear... this is a 100% ITB and 100% standard-Reaper plugin contest, right?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
I think that I'm good for it this month. So, just to be clear... this is a 100% ITB and 100% standard-Reaper plugin contest, right?
Exactly
Old 01-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
thunderbroom

Default Bjorgvin!

I know this dude. Really cool, smart, great player. Took an online refresher class called Mixing with 5 Plugins and had the chance to mix another song from this very record ("Dispute"). This will be fun.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
James HE

I should have time to participate this month - is there something wrong with the link to the files though? It just hangs when I go there.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
I should have time to participate this month - is there something wrong with the link to the files though? It just hangs when I go there.
I had no trouble downloading them. It takes a few seconds to load, but then the Google Drive share screen will pop up. Maybe it's something with your browser?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbroom View Post
I know this dude. Really cool, smart, great player. Took an online refresher class called Mixing with 5 Plugins and had the chance to mix another song from this very record ("Dispute"). This will be fun.
Yeah man! I've been subscribed to his newsletter for more than a year now! Great guy and great music
Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
jpanderson80

I downloaded the tracks and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the recording work. I'm not a huge fan of the drum sounds, but seeing as how the other sounds were captured well, I'm assuming that this was intentional. I've got some work to do.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
DaveKeehl

Quote:
I downloaded the tracks and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the recording work. I'm not a huge fan of the drum sounds, but seeing as how the other sounds were captured well, I'm assuming that this was intentional. I've got some work to do.
The guitarist is a great mixing and recording engineer, that's why the recordings are very good. He also runs this website: http://www.audio-issues.com

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 01-15-2017 at 02:51 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
DaveKeehl

Soo... who's participating for now?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Soo... who's participating for now?
Hi Dave, I'm not absolutely sure, but I did gat a chance to work on it some today. I think I'll have something ready in time, so at this point count me in.

It's kind of a nice song and it's got a good name, heh heh, I live smack dab in the middle of the Rockies. The drums are a little weak but I think there's enough there to make them work. Everything else sounds okay.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #12
Bass6

I'm gonna have a go, but those drums are giving me nightmares.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #13
thunderbroom

I'm in, but won't have a chance to even look at it until next week.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:48 AM   #14
germano

I´m in too.
I like this song very much.
Good choice.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
martinmadero

im in too!
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
tgraph

If I remember correctly, they give the option when you download their new LP to get the multi-tracks for it also. They have put a few songs in the Cambridge library.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #17
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
If I remember correctly, they give the option when you download their new LP to get the multi-tracks for it also. They have put a few songs in the Cambridge library.
Yeah I know, this is one of those songs you can find there
Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #18
lolilol1975

Mix almost done !
This one is quite easy to get something half decent.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 AM   #19
germano

Just an idea.

Maybe take advantage of the sticky november thread changing:

1st Edit the title to "REAPER MIXING CONTEST" instead of "REAPER Contest - November 2016 (RESULTS + DISCUSSIONS)".

2nd edit the first message by adding at the beggining a link very visible to the current thread that at this moment is the January Thread.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #20
BRBWaffles

The last chorus on the double-track is the exact same audio as the last chorus on the primary track. Is this intentional?
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #21
jpanderson80

I'm tired.
I know that I should do editing, but I just can't bring myself to spend the time.

One thing that I have found extremely helpful is forced use of ReaComp. I appreciate this, although I greatly miss my other go-to tools.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #22
BRBWaffles

Quote:
I'm tired.
I know that I should do editing, but I just can't bring myself to spend the time.

One thing that I have found extremely helpful is forced use of ReaComp. I appreciate this, although I greatly miss my other go-to tools.
I've discovered through this mixing contest that both ReaEQ and ReaComp are completely inadequate tools. They're OK as far as stock plugins usually go, but damn. I found EQing way more difficult than it needed to be, and the compressor seems to lack makeup gain headroom, with auto-gain also seeming to add unwanted distortion. I dunno, this is the first time I've used any Cockos plugins seriously, and I was pretty underwhelmed.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
jpanderson80

Waffles,
I use ReaComp as a smoothing compressor often. Try playing with the Precomp and RMS as a way to get an 'auto-leveler' out of the compressor. There are other threads explaining this further. I find it useful (along with my go-to 3rd party tools).

Jeremy
Old 01-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #24
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBWaffles View Post
I've discovered through this mixing contest that both ReaEQ and ReaComp are completely inadequate tools. They're OK as far as stock plugins usually go, but damn. I found EQing way more difficult than it needed to be, and the compressor seems to lack makeup gain headroom, with auto-gain also seeming to add unwanted distortion. I dunno, this is the first time I've used any Cockos plugins seriously, and I was pretty underwhelmed.
Humm, I don't have any problems with them and I like them, especially ReaEQ. It's easy to pinpoint freqs and the bandwidth has extremely fine control. Also unlimited bands.

I have to admit, I use them a lot, and know them pretty well. I think its a probably a subjective thing and depends on what you're used to.

@Dave, I noticed you changed from -0.5dB to -0.2dB. Wont this possibly cause problems when they're converted to mp3s?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #25
REAmix

I'm giving this a go also. But, I will only really do mixing for this one. There is a lot that could use some sort of fixing, especially in the vocals, and one the guitars are out of tune on the B string I think. There are some timing issues as well that I won't go and fix, except for one of them, and it could use some vocalign or maybe manual time stretching to sync some parts of the backups up, but she overall did a pretty good job there. She was often off pitch though. Fixing all of that would add a lot of extra work, and to me, doesn't really compare what I think the spirit of the competition is. But it would actually make a pretty big difference on how overall professional it sounds.

Quote:
The last chorus on the double-track is the exact same audio as the last chorus on the primary track. Is this intentional?
Thanks for the tip. That makes a lot of sense. I ended up using One channel of the earlier chorus to replace the duplicate parts.

Quote:
I actually had the opposite reaction. I basically never use cockos plugins, but I was able to do a lot better with them than I was anticipating. The compressor I find is actually pretty good, though maybe a bit lacking on the visualization side of things, but that's ok. The EQ I'd used before also and it doesn't have as many features as some other EQs, but it is still pretty decent, just a little ugly. It actually might be cool if the reaper plugs and FX windows took more cues from the active reaper theme. That would be an immediate improvement on the looks, for me. The only thing I don't like about the EQ aside from some features it might be missing, like mid-side is that I can't add bands under my mouse with a double click. You can make it nice and big now too, which I like. That makes a big difference, to me.

But the biggest surprise to me was REAverb. I thought I was going to have a real tough time with it, but I find I am having pretty good results.

REAdelay (which should maybe be called REApeat) is also pretty good. I've actually used that one before. It's good if you want to sort fine tune and craft your delay. But it's not the best if all you want to do is add a quick basic echo snapped to tempo. Although for fine tuning, another great way is to just duplicate tracks, and do it manually that way, I find.

I am not a big fan of REAXcomp though. Just sort of the interface how it works I guess. The Master limiter I used was pretty good too.

All in all, I'm surprised with the results from using nothing but REAplugs. The recordings were pretty good to begin with though also. Except the drums were not as great as the rest, especially in the toms area.

Last edited by REAmix; 01-18-2017 at 08:29 AM.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
I actually had the opposite reaction. I basically never use cockos plugins, but I was able to do a lot better with them than I was anticipating.
They should be just fine. ReaComp can emulate most any compressor once someone takes the time to learn it. There is nothing 'wrong' with these in the sense that it is going to cost anyone the contest nor will they ruin any professional mix. Someone could make a argument about how they use them via workflow and efficiency etc. but they don't 'suck' in any sonic sense of the word.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:30 AM   #27
Bass6

Dave / guys,

My zip file's clocking in at 350Mb - GMail is telling me it'll be sent as a Google Drive link.
Is that OK, or am I being even more stoopid than usual?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #28
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass6 View Post
Dave / guys,

My zip file's clocking in at 350Mb - GMail is telling me it'll be sent as a Google Drive link.
Is that OK, or am I being even more stoopid than usual?

Thanks for any advice.
I think you may half have the same problem as I have, or similar, but also may be trying to upload all the source files. If you didn't glue any source files, you won't need to include them. As long as they were in your "source" folder inside your project folder. All of our submissions will be just like different saves of your own project. So, you don't need to include any of the untouched originals.

If did a lot of glueing and things of that sort, then you may have a bit of a problem.

The thing is though, the source folder is only ~250Mb, so you have another 100Mb there, that I'm not too sure about. Perhaps you glued some files, so those would need to be included. I think my reaper glues in WAV, and that is something you might be able to change in the item options, to save on filesize.

__________________________________________________ _______________

You may also be experiencing large file size on your render, which is where I'm a bit stuck. My file is 62 Mb. Tried rendering it to 16bit, and that ended up being about half that size, which is not huge, but a 320 kbps mp3 would come in at only around 10Mb.

So, I am not exactly sure which bit depth to render to, or if I'm missing something to get the filesize down a bit more.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #29
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
The thing is though, the source folder is only ~250Mb, so you have another 100Mb there, that I'm not too sure about. Perhaps you glued some files, so those would need to be included. I think my reaper glues in WAV, and that is something you might be able to change in the item options, to save on filesize.
I got 263M for the "Source" folder, so yeah, 350M is way high.

Quote:
You may also be experiencing large file size on your render, which is where I'm a bit stuck. My file is 62 Mb. Tried rendering it to 16bit, and that ended up being about half that size, which is not huge, but a 320 kbps mp3 would come in at only around 10Mb.

So, I am not exactly sure which bit depth to render to, or if I'm missing something to get the filesize down a bit more.
This is a long song so the mix is quite large. My preliminary mix is nearly 83M using 24 bit 44.1.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #30
Bass6

Thanks guys - appreciate the advice.
I have got some wavs mixed up in there - had to do quite a bit of glueing in the end, although my mix (also 24/44.1) is only 56 Mb.

I'm not sure if I've got this right - I have a 'Source' folder in my .zip that contains some of the original .flac files, plus the ones I've glued (currently .wavs, but I'll see if I can make them .flacs instead).

Is that correct? Or can I exclude the original unglued .flacs?
Sorry if I'm being dense - I'm finding this a bit confusing
Old 01-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #31
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass6 View Post
Thanks guys - appreciate the advice.
I have got some wavs mixed up in there - had to do quite a bit of glueing in the end, although my mix (also 24/44.1) is only 56 Mb.

I'm not sure if I've got this right - I have a 'Source' folder in my .zip that contains some of the original .flac files, plus the ones I've glued (currently .wavs, but I'll see if I can make them .flacs instead).

Is that correct? Or can I exclude the original unglued .flacs?
Sorry if I'm being dense - I'm finding this a bit confusing
You don't need to include the orginals.

EDIT: I actually hate these guitars.

Last edited by REAmix; 01-19-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #32
Bass6

Quote:
You don't need to include the orginals.
Thanks REAmix and Tod.
I'll get my head round this eventually!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #33
Judders

Totally missed this. I'll try to get a mix done in time!

I'm guessing JS effects are okay too?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #34
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I'm guessing JS effects are okay too?
Yes sir!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #35
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yes sir!
Sweet
Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #36
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I got 263M for the "Source" folder, so yeah, 350M is way high.

This is a long song so the mix is quite large. My preliminary mix is nearly 83M using 24 bit 44.1.
I find it interesting that our file sizes differ so much. Yours is 33% larger than mine. ... (giggle) I'm interested to hear what it sounds/looks like.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #37
DaveKeehl

Hey guys! I hope you're all doing well

I'm happy to see new names joining this very healthy competition!

@Tod: you might be right...
Old 01-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #38
Tod

Quote:
I find it interesting that our file sizes differ so much. Yours is 33% larger than mine. ... (giggle) I'm interested to hear what it sounds/looks like.
Hey REAmix, I've got my mix cropped on both ends, short on the front and allowing the tail to go off into silence, so I don't think I can make mine any smaller, unless I go to 16bit.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #39
Judders

I've never metered LUFS before, is there a plugin for that?
Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #40
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbroom View Post
I had no trouble downloading them. It takes a few seconds to load, but then the Google Drive share screen will pop up. Maybe it's something with your browser?
odd. Chrome was giving me an issue...

Downloading now! A client pushed a deadline back so they could march on Saturday, so I have no rush...
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote