Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #81
nofish
Human being with feelings

A bit OT, but RE: feedback routing on one track (as mentioned above):
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/312/Super_...Delay.RfxChain
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #82
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
Thinking about it, should be possible to do it with gmem[] in jsfx, without the need of separate track.
Is it granted that the @sample calls are synchronized in such a way that this really works ?

If within a track all is on the same OS thread, this might be the case. Between different tracks, @sample calls are not synchronized, so that the data on gmem can be multiple sample buffers apart in timing.

(Anyway: as the DAW communicates with each plugin slot in terms of sample blocks and not in terms of samples, complete blocks would need to be propagated via gmem and a one block delay would be imposed.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-06-2018 at 06:41 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #83
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Forgetting for the sake of a standard just because, what are the functional benefits of right-to-left flow? As is, just like in the mixer, the master is displayed by default because it is on the left. If it were the other way around, the master would be offscreen for any routing that is more complicated than a handful of tracks, or the screen would need to be scrolled far right by default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Solution: Match the flow direction to whichever side you've got the master set to in the mixer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Sounds sensible to me.
Yep. Makes sense to me too. The true nature of REAPER has always been about options.

One of the first things I do with a new REAPER install is set the master to the right but that's just because it makes sense to me coming from my beginnings in analog hardware (and electronics) 35 years ago.

If this was made to follow the preferences for the master, I'd like to be sure the inputs and outputs on each individual block would swap too. In other words, if the master is on the right, ALL inputs on ALL blocks should be on the left and outputs on the right.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:54 AM   #84
mccrabney

casual reminder that without a vertical zoomout feature, wiring diagrams aren't useful for projects with more than ~10 tracks.

imagine if a reaper project could only show a small portion of your project at a time, even at it's farthest zoomout. that's the problem we're going to have if the TWD doesn't gain the ability to zoom Z
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #85
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
casual reminder that without a vertical zoomout feature, wiring diagrams aren't useful for projects with more than ~10 tracks.

imagine if a reaper project could only show a small portion of your project at a time, even at it's farthest zoomout. that's the problem we're going to have if the TWD doesn't gain the ability to zoom Z
+1 from me.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #86
sonicowl

How about split view, like in Excel spreadsheets. Or Total Commander. Left side you set source, right side you set destination, and then wire up.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #87
Bri1
Banned

Quote:

^ey-um yeah-- that's why a simple+fixed io up top for upto 64 channels would suffice-is 64 outputs not the maximum reaper can have at any 1 time for any rendering?
plug n play-simplex --no spreadsheets,please no more.,because, "she cannae take it cap'n,she's gonna blow" syndromez. :/
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #88
mccrabney

i'm talking about track numbers and project complexity, not channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
plug n play-simplex --no spreadsheets,please no more.,because, "she cannae take it cap'n,she's gonna blow" syndromez. :/
a couple of these words are even spelled/formatted correctly and i still have no idea what you're trying to communicate
Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #89
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
i'm talking about

a couple of these words are even spelled/formatted correctly and i still have no idea what you're trying to communicate

lol-that's fine,i'm sure the message is totally understood by those that actually write the programme m8. your insults+other ignorants have little effect fyi.
tbh-think am done here--all in all,this forum for me has been a very cold,sterile+uninviting place from day1.thanx.
wish cockos well in all they do-this=true.
carry on.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #90
mccrabney

oh! i get it! he's attempting to subtly convince us of the value of clean, intuitive, attractive GUI design by making his text as unintelligible as possible, thereby offering a negative example! he's perfectly illustrating how good ideas, when presented sloppily, come across as garbled nonsense that nobody wants to interact with.

+1 on topic
Old 08-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #91
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
lol-that's fine,i'm sure the message is totally understood by those that actually write the programme m8. your insults+other ignorants have little effect fyi.
tbh-think am done here--all in all,this forum for [SIZE=1]me [SIZE=2]has been a very cold,sterile+uninviting place from day1.thanx.
Hmm...so you're actually surprised that persistently disrespectful, arrogant (but ohso colorful!! ) gibberish has made you no friends? Well perhaps you've at least learned when to quit. I think if you look back through all the noise you've left in your wake and apply to yourself the same unflinching scrutiny that you've offered the dev team, the user base, and hardworking voluntary coders...the lesson should be clear as day. Best of luck, m8!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #92
chip mcdonald

$.10 and late, but...

If one makes an analogy using "cables" - you need them to go to skeuomorphic items. You're activating a portion of the visual cortex and expecting logic based on that.

If you're connecting "cables" to a featureless "box" that just has a name on it, that's confusing.

If you're going to have "cables" you need skeuomorphic representations of the "rack effects". While I am slightly repulsed by that, in reality I acknowledge that it does work; it makes it easier to remember what is hooked up in what way, because you see a *unique* visual representation of it. This is how real life works in the back of a rack: you remember "oh yeah, that purple cable WAS plugged into the high channel on the left side of the crossover".

If you're going to have "cables" - the visualization of gravity is important. Yes. Because, it adds to the suspension of disbelief, and clears the way for the visual cortext to do it's thing.

In all of the above examples, when I see lines pretending to be "cables", part of my attention is saying "this is just a diagram. This is just a diagram", and I'm trying to reinterpret. That's clunky and useless.

Making it skeuomorphic might eventually allow a way for a plugin developer to provide their own unique graphic. In fact, it should be made a standard package in order to facilitate the inclusion in the future IMO.

A per channel view should be set apart from a monolithic view.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #93
LugNut

Hi,
Please gents...just look at logics enviourment. It uses layers. And there's a global layer. Different objects in general do look different, but it doesn't have to be photo like or large. The name of the object as well as the shape make it clear.

It was the daddy of object oriented editing in daws.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #94
Lunar Ladder

See what is being done here by mpl: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209768

...and here by sai'ke: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209761

...effectively each trying to cover a part of the scope of this native wiring view. As chip mcdonald said above, a per channel view should be set apart from a monolithic view. This is what mpl's design does. Sai'ke is on the other hand doing Buzz Tracker like wiring for the project level routing overview.

In my opinion, a Track Wiring View with a logical way to represent this separation i.e. the project level vs. channel routing level (and what mcdonald is saying there) would be more usable than having everything in one view and then filtering that.

About the current native wiring view, anything that approaches the current amount of scrolling and locating and visually tracking overlapping cables, over huge swaths of GUI space... is of course unusable in large projects. I'm not panning the idea or the effort, on the contrary it's GREAT to see something like this natively in Reaper, and kudos for tackling it.

At the moment, it's just something for small projects. The vibe grows into this pretty quickly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJGCkkvdaA

[Edit: ah, forgot mpl already linked the project in this thread ]
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:35 AM   #95
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
In my opinion, a Track Wiring View with a logical way to represent this separation i.e. the project level vs. channel routing level (and what mcdonald is saying there) would be more usable than having everything in one view and then filtering that.
coff coff! an inspector would be even more ! is this only me? ! : )
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #96
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
It's a different thing.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #97
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
It's a different thing.
yes it is! imo much more useful! with a tab with mpl track view approach and spot on!
but ok not on topic!
Cheers
Old 08-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #98
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
but ok not on topic!
Cheers
Exactly.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #99
foxAsteria

Quote:
checked this out already? https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app/track-inspector Looks pretty full-on.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #100
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
checked this out already? https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app/track-inspector Looks pretty full-on.
Thank you! i have never tried! but i was aware
I'd prefer native and not docked (as i usually see it), and seems a bit too much crowded with meters . Also it's not free but it's a symbolic price and should be well worth it.
I'll probably try it.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #101
foxAsteria

@deeb Just fyi, there is a free version of it you can use. Has a few less features, but most of it's there.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #102
sonicowl

I think this is a very good example of how modular rack should look like and work:
https://www.image-line.com/support/f...%20Modular.htm
It is even free.
It works great, with audio and midi, also eutomation, even with JS scripts via ReaJS. It has sub-graphs, so you can have chains within chains. Loads chains from disk. Loads all plugins.
Anyway, if Reaper ever gets modular FX rack, this is the best I've seen so far. Plugin search by name would be welcome though.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #103
foxAsteria

I agree Minihost Modular was very promising, esp in terms of the UI. If it was a native Reaper feature, it would be pretty ideal. It's too bad the development seems to have stopped, but as a 3rd party tool, it didn't integrate well with many core fx features in Reaper, greatly limiting its usefulness.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #104
AndreiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
I think this is a very good example of how modular rack should look like and work:
https://www.image-line.com/support/f...%20Modular.htm
It is even free.
It works great, with audio and midi, also eutomation, even with JS scripts via ReaJS. It has sub-graphs, so you can have chains within chains. Loads chains from disk. Loads all plugins.
Anyway, if Reaper ever gets modular FX rack, this is the best I've seen so far. Plugin search by name would be welcome though.
This is how Patcher looks & works inside FL Studio and it's a joy to use.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:21 AM   #105
Judders

Quote:
As far as cable organization, I think Unreal Engine does it best. You can double click a wire at any point to create an anchor point ("reroute node") which can be dragged to any position (snaps to grid). This way, you can have straight lines or spaghetti, as you prefer. They even have the ability to split or combine signals.

Furthermore you can create colored comment boxes around both nodes and wires and maintain that organization while moving whole sections around. When using meaningful colors for this, you can navigate a very large and complex blueprint pretty easily.

They've even got a way to collapse complex sections into re-usable "functions," which I'm not 100% sure is possible in our context, but it could be something like an fx chain + routings + visual arrangement, condensed into a single box with I/O that we can double click to edit in detail and reuse anywhere in any project.
Yes, having the equivalent of folders or layers really helps legibility for complex node graphs.

I was thinking the exact same thing before I read your post, expect I was thinking of Houdini 3D software. It also makes it easy to save and drag n' drop complex routings without having spaghetti everywhere.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:41 AM   #106
vanhaze

Quote:
I agree Minihost Modular was very promising, esp in terms of the UI. If it was a native Reaper feature, it would be pretty ideal. It's too bad the development seems to have stopped, but as a 3rd party tool, it didn't integrate well with many core fx features in Reaper, greatly limiting its usefulness.
Now that Imageline has released FL Studio-mac, they have begun re-focussing on the further development of their plugins for mac, among bugfixes etc, making them 64bit.

I have gotten this info awhile ago from IL developers themselves on their Forum.
I am quite sure their Patcher plugin will also be further developed.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #107
Pinecone

i trust its okay for someone to post here not being a "deep" user.this may be a strength..i don't use the pin matrix,..this is conjecture/flight of fancy...but how about uing what is there already? a colourised version of the matrix?...
another thought is..how about taking something like the megababy sequencer GUI (non-moving of course) and using that to represent the "blocks" of effects..you might modify it so you have fixed coloured columns on the extreme left and right sides for In and Out .?
say in folders in fx browser you can assign colours to the groups of effects ie..compressors: red, EQ green etc...then these colours translate to the block colours in the GUI. so you need less words.this might simplify it.
so a beginner could look at it and kind of get it when they see it?
the blocks could have single bold lines between blocks to represent series connection and double lines to represent parallel...my thought is to lessen gaps between blocks so you don't have long spaghetti lines and arrows but somehow the routing could be represnted on the grid lines in the "table" hope this makes sense.
i see the point of the labellig in the pin matrix..its all along the sides so you haven't got labelling in the actual boxes.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #108
Not_Here

My only hope would be that I will NOT be forced to use this "feature".
I understand what is trying to be represented, but have to say it's just more clutter and process to duplicate an already streamlined process.
Visually being able to see your connections, well it at least lets you pretend to be using all your toys in a virtual sense.
Up to now, IMHO I have not seen anything that really innovates the Reaper experience so much that I'm going "Wow! I can't wait for that!"
YMMV
Old 01-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #109
Ivannn Bennnettt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHH...mFrLjhCxJecSfg
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #110
sonicowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivannn Bennnettt View Post

^^^^ This!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #111
Vagalume

Wowww this is really nice. I can believe bitwig has got something so well-done ... I don't like any of other previous given examples.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #112
mschnell

Really beautiful and impressing (even if I don't need this eye-candy) !

-Michael
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #113
Travesty

The bitwig modulation system is great
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #114
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Really beautiful and impressing (even if I don't need this eye-candy) !

-Michael
Neither, do I. But it is impressive ... I totally agree with you.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #115
AndreiT

What happend to this feature? Still in development?
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:10 AM   #116
Ivannn Bennnettt

Looking forward when Justin and Schwa get into the wonderful world of Modularity
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #117
Bri1
Banned

lol-considering modular has been around since like 1963- 1 could almost say cockos are extremely slow to catch up implementing such things..
loosing faith lately...
Old 01-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #118
mschnell

Happily they to other great (i.e. functional) stuff.

-Michael
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #119
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiT View Post
What happend to this feature? Still in development?
Justin has mentioned previously that this will get more attention at some stage. I'm really hoping this is sooner rather than later so I can stop using pre releases in my main production environment.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:41 AM   #120
mpl

I previously asked Justin about cross-track modulation. The main Reason to ask it is to reimplement Track wiring View + Mapping Panel in one script, which I can technically do with gmem API (not yet in official release), but modulation will be still with delay. Because of REAPER design, I guess pooled automation items is the only way to hard link parameters across tracks.

Here is Justin`s reply:

Quote:
btw I probably never responded to this:
Quote:
a) ability to link FX parameter across tracks
Can't do that -- tracks are processed asynchronously from each other, so while you could link the parameters, it wouldn't work reliably...
re: modular approach inside FX chain.
This one I can implement as addition to mpl_WiredChain (via addind specific JSFX for complex linking beetween plugin parameters inside chain). The only request to Cockos here is to add support for gmem stuff (was previosly in pre-releases)...but I don`t think REAPER is good for this.

Last edited by mpl; 01-23-2019 at 04:42 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote