Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
feefop
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with reaper and quad capture

I'm running reaper 4.31 windows 7 home premium 32 bit, on a sony vaio laptop, 6600 dual core 2.2, 4 GB ram. Using a roland quad capture, latest drivers 1.51.

Everything is working fine, and all of a sudden reaper stops working. I close it out and re-open, and the driver panel has no inputs or outputs available. says audio device closed. I'll reboot the computer and it will reload the driver and work fine again..it is inconsistent.

Any ideas? I've messed around with some settings but once the device closes I can't get the I/O to show up again without rebooting...

thanks
feefop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
MrLeV

Default Exact same problem

I have the exact same problem with the same sound card.
It has been so with every version of reaper I tried since I got this card, 1 year ago (Reaper 4.2.x and 4.3.x)

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate sp1 x86 French on an HP Compaq PC with Intel Core Duo E8400 2GHz, 2GB of RAM.
Same problem with all the versions of the driver I could find.
It's only with Reaper and the UA-55 (aka Quad Capture) ASIO drivers that this happens. Reaper then displays this message :

There was an error while opening your audio hardware :
Error initializing ASIO driver
Would you like to view your audio device configuration ?

It does not happen with Cakewalk sonar LE. Even worse : I can use the ASIO driver in Cakewalk Sonar LE after this occurred.

Only solution: reboot the PC or force a driver reinstall (using "have disk"!). Disconnecting the sound card and reconnecting does not solve the issue.

Last edited by MrLeV; 02-13-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: minor changes
MrLeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Tommy V

Octa-Capture here --- I've had same thing happen on a number of occasions, usually after switching to 96k sample rate. It turns out that a plugin from DSP/FX can only handle 44.1k and crashes the Octa-Capture driver at higher rates. Other times I'm rendering video in Pro-Show while Reaper is still open and that also crashes the Octa-Capture driver, but I haven't yet figured out what in Pro-Show is causing the crash ... maybe it's interfering with Reaper's FFmeg ??

Anyway, check your sample rate and any plugins loaded to see if they are compatible.

_ TV _
Tommy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
lowellben

Quad Capture here. Win7 x64

Same error, man this is annoying lol

I don't get it. Reaper keeps showing my inputs/outputs are blank - nothing but a reboot of PC works. 44.1 sample rate across the board, all plugs, all settings.

Can someone please tell me why this is happening and how to avoid having to reboot PC every time? Is it Reaper, or the device? I think it's Reaper, if this works fine in Cakewalk stuff. I mean, what a headache Roland. I was so looking forward to this device being epic...

Thank you!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
hopi

hard to say who to blame, eh?

but ... I have a diff audio device [m-audio profire 26262] and have no such problems.

makes me wonder if something else is stealing the audio card from reaper.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
lowellben

All other audio apps work perfectly fine on my PC w/ the sound card; only Reaper seems to "lose" the Quad ASIO. And I found this thread and was like: "Dude, that's exactly my issue, to a T -"

I hope things can just work themselves out perhaps?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
MrLeV

Default (Solved?) Not happening to me anymore

Great news for me, I don't have this issue anymore.

I changed several things (that I tried unsuccessfully in the past) and one new setting : I gave up recording in mp3 format (Lame). Instead, I use WavePack format (compressed but lossless).
And since then, I did not experience the quad capture crash a single time.
I even "un-bridged" some of my plugins that seemed to cause the issue to happen very frequently when they were using the default settings.

I have not re-enabled directx plugins again, but since I don't use them anymore (because I had to disable them !), I don't know if I'll do it. I have found VST replacements for all of them.

My audio settings are now:
96kHz, 24bits, wavepack, 2/2 channels 192 spls (I just checked and I had incorrectly set 196 as the requested block size in Reaper. I changed it to 192 again, if this re-activates the issue I'll let you know), Ignore ASIO Reset messages.

In ASIO driver config, I have:
96kHz
192 sapmles (buffer size slider set to 4)
Use ASIO Monitoring Direct
Reduce CPU load
Windows: Synchronize with ASIO sampling rate
(I had to translate, my ASIO config applet seems not to allow to display its dialogs in a different language than the current OS language, and mine is French)

I am now a very happy user of Reaper + Quad Capture / UA-55

If this can help some other users, I'll be very happy.

- MrLeV
MrLeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
lowellben

Thank you so much for posting this solution.

I don't want to jinx myself but, it seems, your solution, works PERFECTLY

It was so annoying until now, so I hope it sticks.

I'll write back here in a week to let everyone know if it's working OK.

Windows 8 64 bit
Old 07-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
tomred

Default Need urgent help regarding -please suggest me compatible laptop with ROLAND QUAD

hi guys, I need your help .please tell me Roland Quad Capture audio interface compatible laptops.i am using dell 1545 but with lots of audio dropouts.i did everything according to roland manual...current laptop that i am using is dell inspron 1545...core 2 duo processor ,3gb ram.....nothing is working..please suggest me how to eliminate dropouts or suggest any compatible laptop with Roland Quad Audio Interface...thanks a lot...
tomred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
StateOfEpicicity

Default Changing Ports Corrected Issue

I've found that when Reaper crashes and no longer recognizes my Quad-Capture, one solution is to plug the Quad-Capture into a different USB port. That saves you from having to restart.
StateOfEpicicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #11
Johnny Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfEpicicity View Post
I've found that when Reaper crashes and no longer recognizes my Quad-Capture, one solution is to plug the Quad-Capture into a different USB port. That saves you from having to restart.
Or just disable then enable QUAD-CAPTURE in Device Manager (and wait for Windows to kill reaper.exe process, about 5 to 10 minutes maybe)...

I have made a shortcut as I am often using it for this recurring problem...

You can find device manager executable here : C:\Windows\System32\devmgmt.msc
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote