Old 08-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default REDD.37/51 subgroup template in Reaper

Okay, I recently tripped over this blog. The author has emulated the subgroup workflow of the REDD.37/51 console, but in Ardour. I'm given to understand Ardour is an open-source DAW. If you scroll down the page you'll find a screenshot of his mixer section.

I understand the four subgroups in the centre, but as I'm unfamiliar with Ardour it's not clear where his reverb sends are. Also he has ten other tracks/busses that are poorly labeled. Can anyone help me translate to Reaper?

I like the subgroup routing. These make a huge difference to the end result. Each individual track dumps to one of these four groups. You then balance those four to create the final mix.

https://henry-the-horse.blogspot.com...child-660.html
Old 08-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
kirk1701

In case anyone's interested, I'm in touch with the blogger who's walking me through the routing psychology of his template.

Much of what we recognise as analog console routing is pure Neve. The 80 series desks are very logical and easily grasped. The REDD desks only make sense if you understand the Abbey Road infrastructure. The entire building was a living, recording/mixing organism. Each control room was simply an access point, with the desk being the helm, if you will.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #3
Giovanni_B

The fantastic book Recording The Beatles (Ryan/Kehew) is a must for anyone interested in the technical aspects of The Beatles recording sessions at Abbey Road.

I used to have a REDD template in Reaper. I probably have it somewhere.

The plugins I used:
REDD 37/51
PuigChild compressor
RS124 compressor
J37 (as a tracking/print machine but also as a tape delay unit)
Reel ADT (for artificial double tracking but also to create flanging, chorus, phasing effects)
Abbey Road Chambers
Abbey Road Plates

All from Waves. Before Waves RS124 was released, I used United Plugins Royal Compressor.

Abbey Road studios also had those little EQ boxes that were used as inserts where needed. Softube did an emulation (Softube Brilliance pack). I used Izotope Neutron instead, with some fixed EQ points at 2.7, 3.5, 8 or 10 KHz, and gain from -10 to +10 dB.

Also, I used a room reverb to emulate the natural acoustics of the Abbey Road Studios (The Beatles used Studio 2 most of the times).
Giovanni_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni_B View Post
The fantastic book Recording The Beatles (Ryan/Kehew) is a must for anyone interested in the technical aspects of The Beatles recording sessions at Abbey Road.

I used to have a REDD template in Reaper. I probably have it somewhere.

The plugins I used:
REDD 37/51
PuigChild compressor
RS124 compressor
J37 (as a tracking/print machine but also as a tape delay unit)
Reel ADT (for artificial double tracking but also to create flanging, chorus, phasing effects)
Abbey Road Chambers
Abbey Road Plates

All from Waves. Before Waves RS124 was released, I used United Plugins Royal Compressor.

Abbey Road studios also had those little EQ boxes that were used as inserts where needed. Softube did an emulation (Softube Brilliance pack). I used Izotope Neutron instead, with some fixed EQ points at 2.7, 3.5, 8 or 10 KHz, and gain from -10 to +10 dB.

Also, I used a room reverb to emulate the natural acoustics of the Abbey Road Studios (The Beatles used Studio 2 most of the times).
I'd be interested in your template, if it still exists.

I'm using all the same Waves Abbey Road plugins, Kush AR-1 and T-Racks VC-670 for compressor/limiter, and Acustica Cream2 for the Brilliance pack. I tried the Softube Brilliance a few years back, but I don't recall my impressions.

Much of the routing of the REDD desks is of no use in the digital world. We rarely if ever mix left and right separately, for instance.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
DVDouglas
Banned

I like the subgroup routing. These make a huge difference to the end result. Each individual track dumps to one of these four groups. You then balance those four to create the final mix. And it very funcional templete
DVDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote