maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:37 PM   #82
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
@fox...

have you looked into sonarworks?
if you mean the realtime room correction stuff yea, but i went with the cheaper ARC option. why?
Old 02-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #83
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
if you mean the realtime room correction stuff yea, but i went with the cheaper ARC option. why?
We talked before about room treatment and bass issues, and having a bit of a nightmare with mix tweaking and trying to get it right, all that kinda stuff.

The usual For me, anyway

Just that I have this last day or so, given Sonarworks a go and its really changed everything when I'm using headphones. For me, its proving hard to putting my enthusiasm down to hyperbole. It really has changed everything in a significant way, and I cant see myself not using it permanently now, for mixing.

For mixing, its immediately become invaluable, in my situation. Cant recommend it enough. I'll be working lots quicker now because of it.

Admittedly, mine are lower cost headphones but I just thought I'd mention the software in case you hadnt looked into it.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #84
foxAsteria

I'm actually looking at bass traps rn. Zen Pro Audio has some decent looking deals on that GK stuff, but there are a lot of options and I need to get something that's likely to work in any other bedroom sized "studio" I might find myself in, down the line.

ARC has been pretty helpful, but it has to do too much work to flatten my insanely bass-heavy room. It's pretty cool though when I start getting a mix that works well with it both on and off, even though it'll sound drastically different.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #85
maxdembo

Quote:
I'm actually looking at bass traps rn. Zen Pro Audio has some decent looking deals on that GK stuff, but there are a lot of options and I need to get something that's likely to work in any other bedroom sized "studio" I might find myself in, down the line.
Whoa, thats great.

If they have any deals on the the bog standard Tri-Traps or the Tri-Traps with the extra membrane, I'd def go for those.

Free standing, stackable (so if you buy more, you just shove em on top of the previous ones), instant major difference here. Can use them for filling anywhere walls meet in the room, so i started with each corner next to the speakers and went from there.

No need to attach em to the wall, so they're easy to move around and move house.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #86
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
[ ] Zero Crossing pt. 2 <- you are here
First minute sketched out. Or maybe it's the last, or middle minute, not sure. Looking forward to rest of the process, esp the frustrating bits.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #87
maxdembo

Quote:
First minute sketched out. Or maybe it's the last, or middle minute, not sure. Looking forward to rest of the process, esp the frustrating bits.
The frustrating bits are a worthy challenge
Old 02-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #88
zeekat

Frustrating bit no 1: trying to find the ending again. I think I'm gonna pull a Type o Negative and end it abrupty, I've got nothing.

There's time sig changes too, now to check if I ever be able to play it in one go.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #89
zeekat

Okay lets assume all the instrumental bits are written. The plan for the week is to retrack everything and gather video material before the weekend. Totes doable.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #90
foxAsteria

So I'm glad we all converged to collectively blow off our mutual 2/12 deadline. I didn't even open all my tracks, let alone work on any. Case of the setting goals to high? At least zeekat is still chugging along. *applause*

On the plus side, the badass realease (heheh) of ReaLearn 2 has significantly improved and simplified my controller setup (hurrah for MIDI parameter feedback!). Of course that has meant complete remapping of all my synths, among various other tasks of a distinctly procrastinasty nature.

Still, it gives me a workflow boner so I call it a win. Plus, for my bro's upcoming bday, I did do a bunch of editing of our 3 year old, 7 hour Thanksgiving acid jam. There's some real tasty loops in there for sure, but I've only got through maybe 0.73 hrs.

Idk htf I played drums that long...or tolerated my tubes crackling away the entire time! Nobody played that amp at all, but the mic captured a great room sound, albeit nearly ruined by some antique tubes. Good think I bought those RX7 cleanup plugins last Turkey Day... Synchronicity, baby!
Old 02-16-2021, 02:40 AM   #91
morgon

https://soundcloud.com/user-75039506.../s-AdUkE3dXw7Y

Yep,some procrastination gone down with this track, it's hardly changed in weeks yet there's still some obvious fixes needed.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:40 AM   #92
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
https://soundcloud.com/user-75039506.../s-AdUkE3dXw7Y

Yep,some procrastination gone down with this track, it's hardly changed in weeks yet there's still some obvious fixes needed.
Lots of energy in that one, and you keep it going all through the track, well done. Really like the vocals. Levels/mix sounded alright. Some of the guitar's fast runs seem to trip on themselves, or the mix/production made them sound that way, hard to tell.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:39 PM   #93
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Some of the guitar's fast runs seem to trip on themselves, or the mix/production made them sound that way, hard to tell.
I only just noticed there's a ld gtr leftover item I forgot to remove which is the main offender afaict. Thanks for the appraisal.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #94
zeekat

Quote:
So I'm glad we all converged to collectively blow off our mutual 2/12 deadline. I didn't even open all my tracks, let alone work on any. Case of the setting goals to high? At least zeekat is still chugging along. *applause*
That's why you give yourself two months for a tune, not a month for seven

Note to self: don't leave stitched shitty improvised noodling as "scratch leads", they're hard to replace with "finished version" of the same if the source material is fundamentally shitty, and after dozens of replays while working on other bits ear afterimages are so strong it's hard to shake off trying to do same shitty thing over and over again.

So instruments done, but leads deleted, too much work on something I didn't like at all. I probably need to take a break or listen to lead-less version next 30 times and wait if anything jumps at me. I need that second guitar track.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #95
maxdembo

Quote:
That's why you give yourself two months for a tune, not a month for seven

Note to self: don't leave stitched shitty improvised noodling as "scratch leads", they're hard to replace with "finished version" of the same if the source material is fundamentally shitty, and after dozens of replays while working on other bits ear afterimages are so strong it's hard to shake off trying to do same shitty thing over and over again.

So instruments done, but leads deleted, too much work on something I didn't like at all. I probably need to take a break or listen to lead-less version next 30 times and wait if anything jumps at me. I need that second guitar track.
Thats a good way of working IMHO. If it isnt working (and its not just due to the material being hard to master) CHOP IT OUT! Delete it forthwith!

@fox, have you learned nothing from this thread and its predecessor? Baby steps those deadlines! Listen to Zeekat
Old 02-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #96
foxAsteria

Quote:

@fox, have you learned nothing from this thread and its predecessor? Baby steps those deadlines!
Eh well sure man, I was fairly certain even as I stated my intent there was no way I would manage it, but sometimes the temptation of the quick & easy rush that comes with effortless, grandiose proclamations is too much for even me to resist. Felt pretty damn good about myself for a day or two...

My only goal atm is to abstain from mj until April. Still haven't quite dialed in my controller setup I wanted done by the start of the year. It's already pretty glorious (beyond my expectations in some ways), but taking up too much attention with little issues that crop up and changes I want to try.

Hoping that'll give me the cognitive edge I need to finally polish up this mess so I can shift my focus entirely back to writing music. That is after all what this is all about at the end of the day...
Old 02-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #97
maxdembo

Quote:
Eh well sure man, I was fairly certain even as I stated my intent there was no way I would manage it, but sometimes the temptation of the quick & easy rush that comes with effortless, grandiose proclamations is too much for even me to resist. Felt pretty damn good about myself for a day or two...
Haha That sounds very, very familiar! But still, this time next year... MILLIONAIRES!

I still havent transferred any files from my mixer to the PC!
Old 02-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #98
foxAsteria

Quote:
If it's hard or a hassle to delete something, just muting the items you're not sure about can be enough. Often I'll randomly or accidentally mute stuff and realize the track's better without that element.

Even if you recall the shitty stuff too much, you might be able to give your ears a fresh perspective by soloing a track like bass or drums etc and coming up with a line fitted just to that (with nothing else). Sometimes it'll work in the full mix too.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #99
domzy

I've got loads of things that i ought to do, but i'm not doing them.
Hopefully if i list them here i might get round to it in the next couple of months. I'm not really a techy kind of bloke, so it's gonna be tough, these are all jobs that have needed doing for ages.

Replace internal batteries on Korg DS8 & Poly 800 - bit of a hassle as they are hard-wired i believe - it'd be nice to be able to save presets again. hopefully i haven't left it too late, the batteries have been dead for years & i should possibly be worried about leakage/corrosion?

Get a firewire card & set up a SFF win 7 i5 computer i found by the bins on my estate with an M-audio 410 i have spare - maybe then sell it or keep it to use as a guitar fx unit or something?

Sort out power supply for tascam 424mk3 - i did get one a couple of years ago, but i need to modify it and i didn't have the tools at the time, so i just forgot about it. I was intending to use it as a sub-mixer but i don't really need it now, but it'd be good to get it working for the nostalgia vibe.

Various guitar repairs - new tuning pegs for a bass & a mandolin, saddle for a gtr. etc

Diagnosing / fixing non-functional PC - this is the most hassle - it's not my main DAW machine, just an auxiliary one for synths, samples etc. but the geography of my set-up means that i have to basically dismantle my entire rig to access it. Major nightmare as i have lots of junk.

And of course the biggies - actually devoting some time to doing some music & learning to play again, rather than just fiddling with machines & fixing it in the mix.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #100
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post

Get a firewire card & set up a SFF win 7 i5 computer i found by the bins on my estate with an M-audio 410 i have spare - maybe then sell it or keep it to use as a guitar fx unit or something?
just bought a low-profile firewire card on ebay - it's an LSI chipset so i'm trepidatious as to whether it'll work, but i'll see.

This thread is helping already!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #101
zeekat

Quote:
If it's hard or a hassle to delete something, just muting the items you're not sure about can be enough. Often I'll randomly or accidentally mute stuff and realize the track's better without that element.

Even if you recall the shitty stuff too much, you might be able to give your ears a fresh perspective by soloing a track like bass or drums etc and coming up with a line fitted just to that (with nothing else). Sometimes it'll work in the full mix too.
Biggest change I made since subscribing to this thread - I'm done with clutter. I'm deleting left and right now, those sketch bits or projects almost never get finished. I dislike physical clutter, time to deal with digital one as well. I'm leaving as little as possible "for later", feels liberating man.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #102
foxAsteria

Quote:
feels liberating man.
I guess I should try it more then. I mean it's completely sensible, if a little hard for avaricious types like me. I always plan to select all the muted items and delete them once I'm thoroughly finished with a project...but I don't think that's ever happened yet.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #103
maxdembo

Quote:
I guess I should try it more then. I mean it's completely sensible, if a little hard for avaricious types like me. I always plan to select all the muted items and delete them once I'm thoroughly finished with a project...but I don't think that's ever happened yet.
I used to have projects that were hundreds of tracks huge. I've since tried to whittle that down, and do my own version of what Zeekat is saying. If it doesnt work quite soon, or if I'm obviously smacking my head against a brick wall, delete it. Try something else. You can always write another part, another day, with fresh ears.

Its also less daunting not having a load of tracks muted that need looking at later down the line. Its yet more unconscious 'ah shit, and theres all that to deal with too'. Makes the whole thing more daunting.

Dont get me wrong, I love sprawling projects, variety of sounds and many changes thru a track, having options etc., but as Zeekat says, its way liberating to have a more 'fuck it' attitude too. Also keeps that project folder a bit smaller Doing more, with less.

Thats the reason my remixes are now about only using the files I've been given (mostly). Which reminds me, now I've done the Pie Vendors remix (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yny9FUjZe4s), 'OK' is just about done, its time to load those files for Duldrums that you sent me, @fox!

Thats not to say I have this approach with every track, but its something I try and be more mindful of these days, to keep things fresh and fun, and work quicker than I would otherwise. Procrastination shortcuts, I guess. Get stuff done before my brain can kick in with attempting to sabotage the whole thing.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #104
zeekat

I hope you won't delete some gold because of me. I do it mostly because I suck at organizing if there's more that three things to think about at once Chance you're better with that.

Leads remade. So what's left is samples, details, and video editing. I still have some kung fu movies left to stick between all the guitaring. Video folder could use some decluttering too.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #105
maxdembo

Quote:
I hope you won't delete some gold because of me. I do it mostly because I suck at organizing if there's more that three things to think about at once Chance you're better with that.

Leads remade. So what's left is samples, details, and video editing. I still have some kung fu movies left to stick between all the guitaring. Video folder could use some decluttering too.
If it was gold, it wouldnt be waiting to be deleted But yeah, its def about discerning whats worth keeping to work on later, or whats already taken up enough time and isnt working.

Kung Fu samples btw... Parallel compression, its everything for me getting old movie samples to be audible and work in a mix. An eq pre the compression too. Using this method and blending that super compressed send in with the sample track makes all the difference without destroying the sample track itself.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #106
foxAsteria

Quote:
I hope you won't delete some gold because of me.
Oh I'm way past that nowadays. If there was ever any gold in there it's become indistinguishable from the dross.

I'm only going for something that can hold my interest for more than a day anymore. Otherwise I don't see any point in working on it.

I still have a hard time getting rid of stuff, but that's mostly due to the fact that I can't trust my memory and I'm not running out of disk space any time soon.

Plus there've been some times when I needed a part there and happened to be something I muted long ago that suddenly does the trick.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #107
maxdembo

Default Procrastination Solution #40,835

Have an interface that is dying on its arse. I can no longer switch between browser sound/media players and reaper on a merry whim!

I have to either be listening to other things, or in Reaper. I cant have both open any more or its BSOD all the way home. So thats less procrastination allowed right there.

Bastard thing. Its very useful

Next WIP: https://soundcloud.com/ear/ok16
Old 02-25-2021, 12:21 AM   #108
maxdembo

Default "Produce more, instead of working to death on something that isnt working"

Old 02-25-2021, 03:31 AM   #109
ivansc

Quote:

SO true!

I have songs I started about 40 years ago, very few of which ended up finished but they have all been worked to death. Not a good idea.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:39 AM   #110
domzy

Quote:
Have an interface that is dying on its arse. I can no longer switch between browser sound/media players and reaper on a merry whim!
i thought i'd seen you mention a mixing desk & semi DAWless recording, so i'm a little surprised you'd do these two tasks with the same device - don't you have spare channels on the desk that you could dedicate to onboard sound or a second soundcard for media playing duties?
Old 02-25-2021, 06:08 AM   #111
maxdembo

Quote:
i thought i'd seen you mention a mixing desk & semi DAWless recording, so i'm a little surprised you'd do these two tasks with the same device - don't you have spare channels on the desk that you could dedicate to onboard sound or a second soundcard for media playing duties?
Yes. I also have a Zoom H5 that has an ASIO driver, onboard sound that I could use with ASIO4ALL, and even my monitor kicks out sound via the graphics card.

What was the question again?
Old 02-25-2021, 06:26 AM   #112
domzy

Quote:
Yes. I also have a Zoom H5 that has an ASIO driver, onboard sound that I could use with ASIO4ALL, and even my monitor kicks out sound via the graphics card.

What was the question again?
So does the focusrite still crash the computer when you only use it for Reaper & use another device for general media playback etc?
Apologies if i'm misunderstanding, just not sure why you need to use the focusrite for everything.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #113
maxdembo

Quote:
So does the focusrite still crash the computer when you only use it for Reaper & use another device for general media playback etc?
Apologies if i'm misunderstanding, just not sure why you need to use the focusrite for everything.
I dont need to, and I dont use it for everything. I use it for the PC, its my preferred method of interface on the PC. The DAWless stuff is for no PC use.

No, it likely wouldnt crash because I woudnt be switching between ASIO drivers and Windows drivers on the same device.

Maybe youre misunderstanding that I'm trying to problem solve the Focusrite, I'm not asking for alternatives for media playing? I dunno.

EDIT: Also, if its the interface thats dying, why would I carry on using it for projects? Its good for media playing and nothing more.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #114
domzy

Quote:
I dont need to, and I dont use it for everything. I use it for the PC, its my preferred method of interface on the PC. The DAWless stuff is for no PC use.

No, it likely wouldnt crash because I woudnt be switching between ASIO drivers and Windows drivers on the same device.

Maybe youre misunderstanding that I'm trying to problem solve the Focusrite, I'm not asking for alternatives for media playing? I dunno.

EDIT: Also, if its the interface thats dying, why would I carry on using it for projects? Its good for media playing and nothing more.
Yeah, sorry, i thought your problem was switching so i was just suggesting an alternative, i only mentioned the mixer / DAWless thing because it implied you have enough devices / ins & outs to not have to do it all from the focusrite.
Bit of a bummer if it's dying though - i think procrastination is fully allowed in those circumstances.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #115
maxdembo

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, i thought your problem was switching so i was just suggesting an alternative, i only mentioned the mixer / DAWless thing because it implied you have enough devices / ins & outs to not have to do it all from the focusrite.
Bit of a bummer if it's dying though - i think procrastination is fully allowed in those circumstances.
Hahah, the first time I really noticed it was going bug wild with crashing was just as I sat down to 'finish' something too!

I've got a non re-wiring work around for now, and if it stops me from nipping back to the browser and every other distracting flashy thing I have, for a while, I'll take it

Still, yeah, the interface appears to be on borrowed time sadly. Also, having a DAWless set up that is completely separate means I still have no excuses for procrastination
Old 03-01-2021, 06:18 AM   #116
domzy

Quote:
just bought a low-profile firewire card on ebay - it's an LSI chipset so i'm trepidatious as to whether it'll work, but i'll see.
card arrived, bunged it in & it seems to be working fine - not having used firewire before, i was worried, having read so much about other peoples woes.
So a 3.2ghz i5 with 4 ins & 10 outs for the combined price of about £15 - not bad.

Put some new strings on my ibanez blazer as well - a very productive start to spring
Old 03-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #117
Poeticas

I want to start on a new project but these damn members from the Order of the Rabid Raccoon keep stopping by my house wanting me to join. They do adventurous tasks such as measuring various chests of drawers and dressers. Just my luck, they saw a rare dresser in my living room and now they want to measure it. They are worse in sales pressure than the Girl Scouts and their cookies.
Poeticas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #118
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeticas View Post
I want to start on a new project but these damn members from the Order of the Rabid Raccoon keep stopping by my house wanting me to join. They do adventurous tasks such as measuring various chests of drawers and dressers. Just my luck, they saw a rare dresser in my living room and now they want to measure it. They are worse in sales pressure than the Girl Scouts and their cookies.
Damn those little diseased bastards!

(girls scouts, I mean, obviously)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #119
maxdembo

I will be entering Urinevision this year.

This is my official procrastination note to see if it helps me do something

https://soundcloud.com/cheapshowpod/...g-contest-2020

Adult (puerile) humour abounds
Old 03-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #120
ivansc

You spend far too much time on that site, Mr. Dumbo!!