Can you convince me updating to Windows ten from windows 7
is going to be a great idea please?
I am very nervous

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
grinder
Human being with feelings

I will answer my own question which I should have done in the first place..
I am going along okay now so
Just extra expense and all that goes with it so
Stick with Windows 7

Grinder
Old 02-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
heda

take the opportunity and upgrade to Linux
why nervous? Windows 10 will work fine.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
grinder

It is true I do all my own work on my computers I just have never felt able doing them.
I have noticed that there are plugins now that demand windows ten and they seem to breathe out "we are better than before" type signals.
Hence my thoughts on changing Heda.
I did download the exe file a year or so ago and keep it on a flash drive.

Some DAWs operate only on Windows ten now and Reaper may do that in the future ....

Cheers
Grinder
Old 02-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
heda

REAPER works well with Windows 7 and I expect it to keep working for a long time. But there is no more Microsoft support for Windows 7 for security patches etc. So you may want to always have good external backups for everything.
You can also create an Image backup of your system drive. And install windows 10. If something goes wrong you could restore the image and be back again with windows 7.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #6
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
I have noticed that there are plugins now that demand windows ten

Some DAWs operate only on Windows ten now and Reaper may do that in the future ....
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That being said, the points you mention about plugins and other software only running on Windows 10 is something that will eventually force you to make the move. Provided that new software is something you really need.

When and if you do make the plunge, you may be better off buying a new computer, depending on how old your current system is. Some of the older hardware does not have drivers for Windows 10.

If you do find yourself forced into changing, which is common with computers for the reasons you mention above, your best bet, if workable in your situation, will be to run two computers.

Keep the Windows 7 rig for your current projects, then start your new projects on the new computer with the clean Windows 10 install.

As long as Windows 7 is working for you, you can ease into the transition gradually, avoiding a lot of the headaches so common with upgrading this stuff.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:33 PM   #7
Peterk312

Get yourself a new hard drive and set up a dual boot system with Windows 7 on one partition and Windows 10 on the other. I did that and discovered for my soundcard/ audio interface the drivers available actually work more reliably with Windows 10. Yes it takes time to set up, but if you're unsure of using Windows 10, you can have the best of both worlds.

BUT, if I was using that computer for the internet, I would NEVER trust Windows 10 and it's automatic updates and data collection etc.
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:53 AM   #8
ivansc

He`s right, Grinder.

Win10`s achilles heel is that it updates are geared to the majority of users & it sometimes messes with silly things. In my case, every now and then the update will ignore my eight ins and outs & set my audio defaults as the sp/dif I/O instead, which I don`t use!

That apart, so long as you are comfortable fixing annoying little faults like that, I would say go for it with win10 if you are comfortable taking care of your own machine.

I approached the whole thing very cautiously when I was beta testing the first Win10 releases, but since then there has only been one major problem, going from build 1903 to 2040, & that was caused by W10 updating what was originally an alpha or beta installation.

The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages & if you can stay offline with your studio machine & only update selectively, you`ll have a far more reliable system that performs better than Win 7.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:46 AM   #9
grinder

Hey wonderful idea that new hard drive I have a couple of spare 'SSDs' thanks
Ivansc & Peterk312
I might go there I will not do it now but later I have too much stuff going down.
Toleolu "If it ain't broke don't fix it" totally get it I think
about things for around 4 years normally so....

Thanks all

Grinder
Old 02-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #10
ivansc

I just did this with a spare i3 laptop I brought back from the dead. Still has an up to date Win 10 latest version installed on the original hard drive but I also have an older SSD that swaps out easily (three screws) which I have now installed thee or four different flavours of linux.

All works fine apart from I am totally lost on Linux still...
Old 02-20-2021, 01:45 AM   #11
Bazzbass

the third last windoze update disabled Bluetooth,now I can't even add it in 'services' because the search window has stopped working....

love my old Tascam .........
Old 02-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
grinder

Yes I think I am going to stick with windows 7 I need peace to write and record having to re adjust all the time is just more unneeded work that has little gain.
My audio computer is off line except to update of license plugin's etc.
Thanks everybody

Grinder
Old 02-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
toleolu

Quote:
Yes I think I am going to stick with windows 7 I need peace to write and record having to re adjust all the time is just more unneeded work that has little gain.
My audio computer is off line except to update of license plugin's etc.
Thanks everybody

Grinder
One thing that has remained true with computers for as long as I have been dinking around with them is software always dictates hardware requirements. As long as your Win 7 rig runs the software you need, you're good.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #14
tspring

I have attempted upgrades from Windows 7 to 10 on 5 computers supporting DAWs. Three of the upgrades worked beautifully, and I am glad I did it because new stuff is coming out that may not work with Windows 7. I had to roll the fourth one back because of driver problems. The fifth one had a periodic clicking in the audio regardless of software used or sound hardware involved. It was an I7 Dell laptop, and should have had plenty of resources to handle sound with no problem. Even after extensive high to low level probing (all the way down to the UFEI) nothing I did made a whit of difference. It reminded me of the old days when interrupt conflicts were a common problem. Finally, after two days of tweaking and probing, I reinstalled Windows 7 and all has been good since. Now I keep wondering if maybe whatever was causing problems with audio has have been changed in subsequent Windows 10 releases so that the click would go away.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #15
audio_dagger

Quote:
Hi folks
Simple question
Can you convince me updating to Windows ten from windows 7
is going to be a great idea please?
I am very nervous

Grinder
Stay with w7 !
I know what im talking about. Since first day of'release, then through 11months , been escaping that W10 ADS popup, and one day, i accidentally pressed that ADS and it downloaded...and no way returning back !
Now among all updates, the w7 was the best of all so far !
audio_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #16
rncwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_dagger View Post
Stay with w7 !
I know what im talking about. Since first day of'release, then through 11months , been escaping that W10 ADS popup, and one day, i accidentally pressed that ADS and it downloaded...and no way returning back !
Now among all updates, the w7 was the best of all so far !
ADS?, I have never seen any ADS from windows, one thing everyone needs to remember, to stay current with your software and hardware, you will need to go to windows 10 or just stay with the old hardware/software.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #17
BEHOLD

Windows 10 supports more memory (64-bit).

If you have new specs (motherboard, processor) I would make the leap to upgrade.

If you're running an older machine, it runs reaper nice, and don't really require security/updates. Than there's no real reason if you are 64-bit and below something like 192 gigs of memory.
BEHOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:48 AM   #18
grinder

Yes Behold
I run 32GB RAM I5 server class
It does everything right and as long as I take my time shutting it down it does not restart and show a blue screen.
Thing is it runs on the smell of an oily rag I have all SSD's now and only resort to a normal HD attached as an exterior drive to back up my material.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Grinder

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1/reason

Last edited by grinder; 03-04-2021 at 01:50 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-04-2021, 02:10 AM   #19
ivansc

Since you can still get a free update to Win 10, I would still suggest trying it out with one of your spare drives, just to see how it behaves with your existing hardware.
I assume you are already on 64bit W7?
Old 03-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #20
grinder

I am Ivansc
I will have a think on it

Best
Grinder
Old 03-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #21
ivansc

Quote:
I am Ivansc
I will have a think on it

Best
Grinder
Go for it - It took me very little time to set Win10 up so it looked very much like my Win7 setup - much easier than win 8 or 8.1!

And the worst that can happen is that you have to uninstall the spare drive & format it.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #22
grinder

You Have a point......*
A valid oneeeee

Grinder
Old 03-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #23
Boogieshoes

I have a circa 2008 dual boot XP / Win 7 pc that I use for music stuff.

A windows 10 setup is available but my experiences with MS Updates being enforced have been horrible, they fudged about with the USB audio side of things in a way that has required 3 to 4 complete wipe and reinstalls this year of wongoes as I call 10 to get things to work again. Those experiences with the USB audio side for Amateur Radio use have completely deterred me using Win 10 for anything else.

I went and looked at Unbuntu Linux and I have to say, it has come a long way from the early versions and with Its GUI is becoming an option. The trouble is getting comfortable enough with its support systems and updates. Running things like 'sudo apt update' followed by 'sudo apt upgrade' from the terminal to go get things from lord knows where simply undermines it for me. I like to know what, and where things are coming from on my computers. So there isn't much between Linux and MS now ... I start to feel like becoming an off grid spoon whittler when it comes to computers now.

Stick with what you know, update your pc and then you find the drivers for your other hardware, oh no updates for that they're too old ... Its an endless cycle game design to empty your pockets and fill landfill...
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:36 PM   #24
grinder

Default Finished

I actually went through with this tried to update on line.
Everything was going smoothly until Windows told me it was a no go my computer was not playing ball ( was ready to install).
I tried this twice.
Not windows fault I suspect it may have been because my computer is dual boot? That is for the boffins so I am going with Windows 7 till the computer passes away.

Grinder

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1
Old 08-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #25
MiddleC

One point to add. In my experience, if Windows 10 will support your older hardware, it will run better on it than Windows 7 did.

There seems to be a LOT of performance tuning under the hood. Might want to minimize the graphical stuff, though. Set it to highest performance.
MiddleC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:26 PM   #26
coreyrocchicciol53

Microsoft's free upgrade offer for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users ended a few years ago, but you can still technically upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge. Assuming your PC supports the minimum requirements for Windows 10, you'll be able to upgrade from Microsoft's site.
coreyrocchicciol53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #27
Lynx_TWO

Might as well just upgrade to Windows 11. They already have a workaround for PCs that don’t have TPM2.0 and “unsupported” hardware:

https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc7...b5d65613187b15

Currently running Windows 11 on an old Lenovo Thinkpad with zero issues.

It should be known that Microsoft Themselves have sanctioned this.

And I gotta say, Windows 11 FEELS snappier than Windows 10

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 10-09-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #28
Coachz

Is that true? I would love to see a link from Microsoft that says that I can upgrade my 10-year-old PC without TPM and continue to get updates for the windows 11 cycle. Everything I read said it was not possible

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #29
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Is that true? I would love to see a link from Microsoft that says that I can upgrade my 10-year-old PC without TPM and continue to get updates for the windows 11 cycle. Everything I read said it was not possible
They changed their mind, probably due to the fact there would be massive security issues. This came out two days ago:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft...nsupported-pcs

I’ve got my TPM disabled in the bios on that laptop since I bought it used off a company for $200, and often the IT guys will disable laptops not on the company network. That’s a dirty little secret about TPM a lot of people don’t know…

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 10-09-2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #30
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
They changed their mind, probably due to the fact there would be massive security issues. This came out two days ago:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft...nsupported-pcs

I’ve got my TPM disabled in the bios on that laptop since I bought it used off a company for $200, and often the IT guys will disable laptops not on the company network. That’s a dirty little secret about TPM a lot of people don’t know…
Article says. However, the bypass only applies to PCs that have at least TPM 1.2, which has to be enabled

Coachz Repo
Old 10-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #31
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Article says. However, the bypass only applies to PCs that have at least TPM 1.2, which has to be enabled
Just confirmed again that my TPM is disabled, and Windows 11 works perfectly. You can always roll back from Windows 11 to Windows 10 within 7 days after install if it’s an issue. My server at home is still running Windows 10 but I’ll be installing 11 on that as well

Just use this link: https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc7...b5d65613187b15
And run the batch file. Choose either ISO or Thumb drive. I had it build an ISO which I then mounted and installed from. It disables the TPM check, grabs Windows 11 from MS using their own tool, and builds your iso into the folder. You then simply mount and install

Updates work too; I just installed latest security update from MS using Windows 11 built in updates! Windows 11 also let me opt in to the Beta update channel

Best to Trust the Geeks

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 10-09-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #32
Coachz

Thanks but I'm not confident until I see a Microsoft web page that says TPM is not required and they will continue to provide Windows 11 updates. Plus win11 has zero features I need. If they added tabs to windows file explorer that would be something for me.

Coachz Repo
Old 10-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #33
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Thanks but I'm not confident until I see a Microsoft web page that says TPM is not required and they will continue to provide Windows 11 updates. Plus win11 has zero features I need. If they added tabs to windows file explorer that would be something for me.
Fair enough . I will say their search function is massively improved, but I still use the program Everything for instant search. Highly recommend
Old 10-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #34
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
Fair enough . I will say their search function is massively improved, but I still use the program Everything for instant search. Highly recommend
Hi Lynx_TWO, can you explain why you went to Win-11 and what advantages it has over Win-10?

I might have missed it, but did it cost you anything or is it a free update/upgrade?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #35
Coachz

I would bet a lot of updates to 11 are just so they can get updates and not for any real compelling features. Let's also not forget that Windows 10 doesn't stop updates until October 14th, 2025

Coachz Repo

Last edited by Coachz; 08-05-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #36
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Lynx_TWO, can you explain why you went to Win-11 and what advantages it has over Win-10?

I might have missed it, but did it cost you anything or is it a free update/upgrade?
Mostly security. It seems to run faster and you’ll have to switch by 2025 anyway. And yes it’s a free update, if it wasn’t free I wouldn’t have updated, errr, legally… shall we say…

My server at home uses TPM 2.0 so it’ll be an official update with no workarounds, and I didn’t want to have to keep switching between 10 and 11. Plus, multimoniter support is far better with 11

Other reasons to upgrade are:

1. Run Android apps natively on Windows 11
2. FAR better virtual and multi-desktop support
3. Plug and unplug any number of external monitors and your layouts stay the same

All the other features like Xbox support, I don’t really care about

Don't forget; In all reality, Windows 11 is simply Windows 10 build 20H2 with a different graphic overhaul, so NOT upgrading to Windows 11 would be like not upgrading past Windows 10 build 1509. It kinda feels a bit dumb and short-sighted not to update once you understand what Windows 11 actually is. When they say they will continue to support Windows 10, what they are actually saying is: "We will continue to release security updates to Windows 10 Build 20H1 until 2025 but will not be fixing any nuisances you have"

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 10-09-2021 at 02:48 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #37
Coachz

I did hear that Windows 11 runs Android apps which would definitely be a very cool feature for me

Coachz Repo
Old 10-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #38
Boogieshoes

MS should come in for a slamming in this day and age if they force users to bin hardware that would be capable of running their code but is prevented by forcing the requirement for ‘Trusted Platform Module’ (TPM).

We can’t keep binning and burning resources the way commerce has been operated.

I still run Reaper on Windows Pro 7 64 bit on an E8200 cpu and 8GB ram. Once it’s no longer supported for virus software it will run isolated from internet like WinXp now has to.

Win 10 has been ok, but the need to ‘check in’ to MS to stay functional is going to be a killer sometime.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #39
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshoes View Post
MS should come in for a slamming in this day and age if they force users to bin hardware that would be capable of running their code but is prevented by forcing the requirement for ‘Trusted Platform Module’ (TPM).

We can’t keep binning and burning resources the way commerce has been operated.

I still run Reaper on Windows Pro 7 64 bit on an E8200 cpu and 8GB ram. Once it’s no longer supported for virus software it will run isolated from internet like WinXp now has to.

Win 10 has been ok, but the need to ‘check in’ to MS to stay functional is going to be a killer sometime.
Your exactly right. My box is a 10 year old 980x cpu

Coachz Repo
Old 08-05-2022, 03:00 AM   #40
grinder

Hi Back Again!
Please help...
My computer is trying to get online even when I am doing my audio work.
In Windows 7 this was easy to deal with.
This said I have looked online for an answer to this for windows 10
every where I have looked it seems to be a criminal act almost to keep a computer from going online I have not found the answer I was looking for.
Is there a way to disable the computer needing to go online and also
An easy way to turn this around when absolutely needing to go back online?

Thanks in anticipation.

Grinder