Old 03-24-2021, 05:10 AM   #1
Stella645
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI problems

Hi.

I'm having issues with a particular synth hanging and missing notes so have been doing some fault finding.

Synth (Dreadbox Typhon) I'm sure was working fine before....then suddenly it will not play at all. Immediately misses notes or hangs on a single note when played from computer via a subzero 4x4 interface.

Other synths play fine with same connection
Dreadbox plays fine connected directly from a 5 pin out keyboard.

I got a replacement interface as thought this must have developed a fault but new one is the same, tried from laptop, same, tried other software....same.

Any advice greatly appreciated....thanks.

EDIT: MIDI event list removed as realised not relevant.

Last edited by Stella645; 03-24-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:24 AM   #2
Stella645

EDIT: Realised this extra info is to do with the reset on stop/play settings in MIDI devices. If I turn these off I can record only the same note on/off as the playback.

However this doesn't help with my problem....the Typhon still completely unplayable using this MIDI interface.

NB: Forgot to mention previously I also got one of those super cheap USB midi cables and this is also working OK with Typhon.

Last edited by Stella645; 03-24-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
b2001

You were pretty thorough with your testing; this seems to be a unusual problem.

Don’t know how well this would work:

Start with a midi sequence in reaper and send to typhon thru interfaces that you are having issues with. Set typhon midi out to thru and come back to interface/reaper and record midi. Export midi file.

Do the same with the usb midi cable that works.

See if the two midi files are same or different.

Down side is the trip back to reaper. Just adds steps when i would really want to inspect midi going to the typhon after going thru interface out from reaper.

What happens if again going thru interfaces to typhon; set its midi out to thru and go to another synth. Skipping/sticking issues with that synth?

This might be all for nothing...
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Stella645

Thanks....I tried recording the MIDI back to Reaper via this interface with a direct cable loop and once I unticked the reset on play/stop boxes the midi events I recorded seem identical to the playback.

That was the data I edited post to remove as I think that makes it irrelevant.

There's usually a point in fault finding issues where I feel I'm heading in the right direction but with this I'm going round in circles.

May see what comes back from Typhon MIDI thru as you suggest. Also wondering whether to try an older firmware as this may (not really sure) have occurred since an upgrade.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
Stella645

Dammit....Typhon firmware was the problem. Downgraded to V2 and working perfectly again.
I think would have tried this much sooner had Dreadbox not said very confidently, it must be something else in the chain!

Weird that it affects the Typhon with the one interface but not with the cheap usb cable.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
NoDarkThings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Dammit....Typhon firmware was the problem. Downgraded to V2 and working perfectly again.
I think would have tried this much sooner had Dreadbox not said very confidently, it must be something else in the chain!

Weird that it affects the Typhon with the one interface but not with the cheap usb cable.
I've just been having the exact same issue as you, using a Typhon via a SubZero SZ-MB44. Unfortunately it came with the v3 firmware installed and as that's the only one on their site I guess I'll have to wait for this upcoming v4 release to see if that fixes it.

The really strange thing I've found is it seems to just not like certain notes at certain times. In Bitwig I can set up a one bar loop into the Typhon and send it C3 - C#3 - F#3 - C4 and all 4 notes play, but if I change that final C4 to a A#3 or A3 that note gets skipped, however change it back to a C4 or a B3, plays fine. It's not scale related however as I've had similar situation where it just doesn't like a particular note in a sequence step and whatever note I change it to it won't play it. So bizarre.

I did get the same issue in Reaper and Bitwig though so the good news is that it's probably not the DAW.
NoDarkThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:59 AM   #7
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDarkThings View Post
Unfortunately it came with the v3 firmware installed and as that's the only one on their site I guess I'll have to wait for this upcoming v4 release to see if that fixes it

Dreadbox pretty much told me to not expect any update to fix the issue as the midi framework would not change. They blame my system (which given you have same issue with same brand of interface is maybe correct)

I have been updating and checking with each version but no change.
Still running fine on the non subzero cable interface and I think I'm just going to replace the subzero with an ESI interface

I decided against sticking to the older firmware as preset browsing is much improved in later versions (just wish it would boot with the same preset loaded when you shut it down though)