Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer.x View Post
ive watched some vids on the software but its really hard to tell w/o using it
i have a touchscreen laptop so it might be possible to do live sound with it

*do you use the built in dsp , *sends to reaper post fader

*do you use the aux line out for different monitor mixes or is there anouther
way to get multiple headphone mixes

*i dont think ill work w the tablets, its just easier to use hdmi
It says the built in digital mixer has 48 inputs and 12 buses.
That gives you the ability to make 12 mixes.
You patch available source channels to the inputs.
You patch the mix buses to the available outputs.

With no additional connected hardware you have 8 mono outputs (or 4 stereo pairs). So you could do up to 8 mono mixes with that unit by itself.

It sounds like you're doing more of a rehearsal studio setup than a live event stage. So you don't have the need for constant immediate control and all that. Otherwise you'd probably do a stereo pair for the main mix and then 6 monitor mixes. And you'd want a tablet in your hand for immediate control of the big live feedback-possible-to-make machine.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #43
mixer.x
Human being with feelings

Default dont you think analogue boards are just easier to mix on

ill do a live recording set up if i can find a good acoustic space
i have a laptop with a touch screen so its a better set up w hdmi

as far as feedback goes,
it has a built in feedback detector for the aux outs, but you would just run the main l/r into your stacks amps

as far as mixing live you can set it up like a theater board
where you have different mix settings for different songs

where im stuck ,..so it has 8aux XLR outs so i need an 8 channel headphone pre amp
thats xlr in and phone jacks out

not sure about anything else, it does more than they show you it does more than you need probably
mixer.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:26 AM   #44
mixer.x

Default i think its enough channels already

i think the 48 channels is "theoretical"
what one unit will run is
20 inputs xlr/line
2 inputs rca
2 internally patched channels

then theres lots of
-groups,sends,mix,groups,and auxs
which all seem to be foldback

you double click on an aux track and a sceen comes up with anouther mixer
of all the tracks routed to the aux which is all by default i think
Old 07-31-2021, 10:54 AM   #45
serr

If they claimed the mix engine has 48 inputs but it actually doesn't, they'd get returns for false advertising. Sometimes companies do some bait and switch with 'brochure speak' but they're not just flat out dishonest like that. The unit supports hardware expansion and the mix engine supports it.

You'd walk up to a live PA and rely on a feedback suppression plugin?! Brave man! (I get that you're not going to be using this live! Just sayin' It's geared towards live use and that's why you'd want controls under your fingers in that scenario is all.)

Rolls makes a 6 channel headphone amp.
B-word makes an 8 channel one.

Look for a headphone amp with direct inputs for every channel. It turns out that SOP for these headphone amps is a single stereo input and they think you want that one input for all the connected headphones. Radio studio use or something I suppose. Some of them have an extra feature of direct inputs for every channel. Those are usually TRS dual unbalanced (like headphones).

You'll need to cable up appropriately. You may need to go balanced outs to unbalanced ins. (Not a big deal.) You may want to wire up the TRS inputs for multing a single line to both unbalanced channels. I think the B-word headphone amp has mono buttons and I think you can get away with plugging a TS mono plug into it and getting that to both ears with the mono button. Or wire up to patch two balanced outputs into a single TRS unbalanced plug for stereo.

Don't read that as 'issues' or anything. You just need to possibly mod a few cables a little. And then don't assume a headphone amp will have direct inputs per channel unless stated.

Story time just in case this offers any ideas:
I just set up my newly acquired X32 Rack.
Patched 6 channels of an 8 channel mic pre unit into the 6 balanced aux line inputs.
Patched the 7th channel into the talkback mic input.

Assigned the 16 mic input channels to mixer channels 1-16. (2 blocks of 8)
Left the default AES inputs assigned to mixer channels 17-32 (not using the AES inputs)...
But reassigned the 6 aux inputs to mixer channels 17 - 22.
(Because those channels are more featured with eq and 2 dynamics vs the default aux channels.)
XLR out 1-6 are for stage monitor channels.
TRS balanced aux outs 1-6 are for in-ear mixes. Patched to a Rolls headphone amp. (Multed for 6 mono channels like I mentioned doing above.)

The X32 has 16 mix buses available.
1-6 stage monitors.
7-12 in-ear monitors.
13-16 built in fx returns.

Then my extra wildcard feature:
If I don't need all those monitor mixes I can borrow a mix bus to route the talkback mic input to mixer channel 23. Using a mix bus was the only way to accomplish that connection.

So I have 23 Midas mic input channels and up to 12 monitor mixes. (Either 22/12 or 23/11 with having to use that mix bus for one or the other.)
Old 08-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #46
mixer.x

Default soundcraft ui24r

this was the best overview i found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAZuo8S5gs

it seems that you would keep it on the stage

i could only get 8 outs from it + 2 headphones out

its definately a live recorder/mixer

if i use powerd moniters they should come w fuse protection
the auto feedback detector is a frequency analyzer \ ducker

you would still have the same problems mixing on a Iface as far as feedback or killing tracks , the interface seems faster to get around in

i thing its only bg or maybe mackie making distribution amps for head phones
as far as a mic pre-amp thats/ one xlr plug + a step-transformer + a preamp + a line out-?

Last edited by mixer.x; 08-06-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #47
serr

Yep, these are definitely geared towards live mixing!

(Hence the chuckles when you were kind of saying "What's up with these live mixing/routing features on my audio interface?!")

So, these units may be a lot of bang for the buck even if you were only shopping for mic preamps and AD inputs on an audio interface (and not the built in mix engine). That's all good and here you are. If you are only mixing for headphones for a tracking/rehearsal space thing, you'll figure it out and be just fine.

If you were contemplating running live sound and have no experience...
Don't rely on a feedback buster plugin! This is where you want graphic eq's under your fingers and any live input channel faders under your fingers for IMMEDIATE control. Set up all your live mixes (FOH and any live monitors) so there are no surprises. You kind of want to know how much gain before feedback you have under your fingers. A fuse in the powered monitors? That might protect the speaker driver from damage. You could still tear someone's head off with feedback before that kicks in.

A big part of getting a good live recording is having good sound and good monitor mixes so the musicians are actually able to play comfortably and there are no howls and weird resonances recorded into all the stage mics.

Any of this helping?
Old 08-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #48
mixer.x

Default im a rusty nail

no actually i did sound in a club for 3 years
its was all analogue system crown amps and jbl 3way stacks
300 person club about 4kwatts
that was a while ago
obviously i dont want to jump right back into live sound necissarily
id rather do production work
im just trying to figure out what i can do
its certainly helps that your doing a similar set up

i just think mixing in a laptop is just wrong *but these interfaces offer the whole world
*ie how do you boost when you cut or feedback problems like your pointing out

its the software thats the achilies heel of this kinda stuff

like i can only do 8 mixes out of the aux busses
although they have a TON of foldback for fx sends
so i need different setups, *software
but you can save set-ups so that might be ok

heres the vid on the feedback control system. looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPSmgXSKXKw

heres the vid on "snapshots"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7byIqqkTqY

Last edited by mixer.x; 08-07-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #49
Vadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoostus View Post
I feel that I can reply to this thread since I actually OWN a MOTU StageB16
At all, are you happy with B16? What about stability on mac? Especially on Mac M1?
I can to buy MR18. It stable and has a good DSP. But I play on keyboard in a band, through RME babyface, connected to macbook. And I think, it no good idea to connect an out of RME to in of MR18 - extra A/D-D/A conversion will degrade the sound quality.. But if I will use MR18 as audiointerface for my macbook (and at the same time a mixer for the band), it has a slow latency for live playing.. B16 has a good, fast latency, but can it be used as keyboard interface/live show mixer with reverbs from DAW/multytrack recorder to daw simultaneously and stable? Can 3 musicians to control individual aux mixes from without overal glitches and bugs? Or better idea to use both MR18 and RME together as Agregate device? Also there is a crazy idea to connect an out of MR18 to RME input and send sound to front monitors from RME (and connect the headphones output of RME to MR18 for include keyboard to the monitor mixes in MR18)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:56 PM   #50
bjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoostus View Post
I
1. the mixer inside it is almost unusable for a real live show. I mean, it works, you can make a decent mix, but the interface is slow and clunky, poorly optimized.
This is good to know, thanks for the feedback on this aspect of the B16 stagebox. I've been seeing glowing reviews of the B16 stagebox from engineers recording orchestras in Europe, but haven't seen many reviews of it for live sound. I currently use a QSC Touchmix 8 for live shows (I never need more than 8 inputs; everything I do is acoustic on small stages, no more than 2-3 performers at a time), and it's been excellent but there are known hardware problems that can creep in over time. I've had mine since 2017. So I'd like to have a backup and was considering the MOTU until I saw this. I only do one or two live gigs per year so it would be overkill anyway; I might just get a used analog mixer as a backup instead.

The Soundcraft Ui24 gets good reviews but whatever you do avoid its earlier cousins, the Ui 12 and Ui 16; I'm surprised Soundcraft still sells them to be honest. I had the Ui12 and it was so unreliable (even with a separate router instead of the useless builtin wifi hotspot) that I literally took a sledgehammer to it and it felt so good to see it smash into little bits. It let me down on about eight gigs before I gave up; it kept losing connections at crucial times, totally randomly, no matter what channel I used for wifi. The Ui24 is much better, has real preamps and generally more reliable.

Last edited by bjohn; 02-22-2022 at 09:50 AM.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote