Old 08-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
tomo34
Human being with feelings

Default EQ curves for headphones?

Hi,

Do you know some site where can I find EQ curves for headphones to import them to ReaEq? I have Sennheiser HD280 Pro 64 ohms.
tomo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
serr

FYI, the HD280 Pro aims to reproduce audio with no eq offset or calibration requirement. Most headphones are going to be made that way. There may be cheapness and inability to be had but nothing that requires a non standard calibration. Unless Bose is up to something with that? (EQ'ing the snot out of cheap drivers is their wheelhouse.) But they'd have their own system and the calibration would be internal. You'd plug em in and go and they'd be as good or bad as they are.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
tomo34

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
FYI, the HD280 Pro aims to reproduce audio with no eq offset or calibration requirement. Most headphones are going to be made that way. There may be cheapness and inability to be had but nothing that requires a non standard calibration. Unless Bose is up to something with that? (EQ'ing the snot out of cheap drivers is their wheelhouse.) But they'd have their own system and the calibration would be internal. You'd plug em in and go and they'd be as good or bad as they are.
I need this EQ curve to receive approximately flat response from this headphones.

I found this page, but links doesnt work anymore:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Aut...992718/results
Old 08-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
JayJSE2

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Aut...HD%20280%20Pro

This gives a few options for correction (parametric eq, graphic eq and impulse response), unfortunately the settings use Q rather than bandwidth so you either need to use a different eq, or convert bandwidth to q [I used an online converter]

And for anyone else looking at this, here's the full list of headphone correction eqs that they have: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Aut...master/results

All that said, if you're using them as your main monitoring option (including outside of Reaper), you're better off just getting to know the headphones as they are, otherwise you'd be hearing sounds/music with the normal headphone curve outside the DAW, then changing to a flat response inside the DAW.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post

All that said, if you're using them as your main monitoring option (including outside of Reaper), you're better off just getting to know the headphones as they are, otherwise you'd be hearing sounds/music with the normal headphone curve outside the DAW, then changing to a flat response inside the DAW.
Or you can insert the eq onto system audio too. A few options for this depending on o/s.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
tomo34

Quote:

This gives a few options for correction (parametric eq, graphic eq and impulse response), unfortunately the settings use Q rather than bandwidth so you either need to use a different eq, or convert bandwidth to q [I used an online converter]

And for anyone else looking at this, here's the full list of headphone correction eqs that they have: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Aut...master/results

Thanks! BTW: how to make impulse response from this data?
Old 08-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo34 View Post
I need this EQ curve to receive approximately flat response from this headphones.

I found this page, but links doesnt work anymore:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Aut...992718/results
If these headphones are not flat enough response for you...
They aimed to be as flat as possible within the design limitations. You kind of can't get blood out of a stone as it were. You'll end up with fatiguing sound if you try.

No one makes non-standard headphones that require eq calibration. The more limited or cheap ones would just distort if you tried to force through their limitations.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
JayJSE2

Quote:
Thanks! BTW: how to make impulse response from this data?
It's from the files at the top of the page, there's 2 depending on if you're working at 44.1k or 48k.

It makes me wonder, if there's all this data available for headphones, surely it would be possible to do the same for microphones as well, that way you could take something like an SM57 and flatten the response, then apply the inverse eq for a U87 or a ribbon mic. I know there are plugins that do this already, but it would be cool to have a similar database to refer to.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
serr

lol...
The differences between a sm57 and a u87 go FAR beyond frequency profile! You can't change cheap products into gold with an eq, folks!

Again, Bose has taken this as far as mechanically/electronically possible. And you hear how well that worked out for them! "No highs, no lows? Must be Bose!" "Bose! Better Off with Something Else!"

You're always... better off with something else!
Old 08-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
lol...
The differences between a sm57 and a u87 go FAR beyond frequency profile! You can't change cheap products into gold with an eq, folks!
Yeah, but in a similar way, you can't really correct to get a completely flat response out of headphones either.

What you can do is go a fair way to correct any "issues" with the hardware. The thing of making one mic sound more like another is just an extension of that idea.

For instance, I have a Samson CO1 mic. And there's something in the high-mid/high frequencies that doesn't sound that good to me. If there was a resource (like the one for headphones) that let me figure out what it was that I'm hearing, that would be great!
Old 08-28-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
serr

Quote:
Yeah, but in a similar way, you can't really correct to get a completely flat response out of headphones either.
My point exactly!
Old 08-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #12
cyrano

IMHO EQ curves for headphones can't do much, cause the frequency response also depends on the form of your ears, the pressure of the shells on your head etc. Besides, there still isn't a standard for headphone measurement. That equals too many unknowns for me.

The same goes for speakers, but for a far lesser extent. The form of your ears is insignificant. No pressure from shells. With speakers, it's the room. We cannot fix the room with EQ only, as we all know.

I was of the same opinion when it comes to mics. Only, I was very impressed with the Townsend Sphere plugin recently. I tried it without the Sphere mic, just with a few fairly flat condensers.

It's still not a real U47 of course, but even cheap condensers today are way better than what was available 20 years ago. And a Sony C800 has an intended high boost that's easy to replicate. But even if it doesn't give you the real thing, it allows you to judge if that expensive mic might just have a boost that works for your music.

Of course, you can set that EQ in Reaper's own EQ too, if you know the curve, or have good ears.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:55 PM   #13
DVDouglas
Banned

Unless Bose is up to something with that? (EQ'ing the snot out of cheap drivers is their wheelhouse
DVDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:01 AM   #14
Pashkuli
Banned

Hi, tomo34
take a look here:
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
*not sure what the impedance\load is though, might be 64Ω

the list of all models on the site is here:
Heaphones list

Also, I use this program (Equalizer APO Correction) with a nice GUI called (Peace - GUI for Equalizer APO).
* for Windows only!
*it is free, but needs a proper setup
*it starts with your OS (optional) systemwide
* it does not go through ASIO (thus it won't affect your DAW audio signal, but you can always copy the curve into ReaEQ and put the latter in the MonitoringFX section)

If you need any help with that, keep posting. Here it is on my PC:

Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:38 AM   #15
tomo34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
Hi, tomo34
take a look here:
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

Heaphones list

Also, I use this program (Equalizer APO Correction) with a nice GUI called (Peace - GUI for Equalizer APO).
Thanks very much! Above report is amazing! So many information there. My model is 280 Pro MK1 and also have report on this site.

I will check this APO Correction software and make compare to Sonar Reference.

Regards.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:52 AM   #16
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Thanks very much! Above report is amazing! So many information there. My model is 280 Pro MK1 and also have report on this site.

I will check this APO Correction software and make compare to Sonar Reference.

Regards.
APO is free, Sonarworks is not free, they collect your data and require online registration.
Not sure how dSONIQ RealHeadphones operate, but it might be better than Sonarworks (bothas a profiler\corrector and as a registration process).

I am absolutely satisfied with APO + Peace.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:40 AM   #17
tomo34

Quote:
APO is free, Sonarworks is not free, they collect your data and require online registration.
Not sure how dSONIQ RealHeadphones operate, but it might be better than Sonarworks (bothas a profiler\corrector and as a registration process).

I am absolutely satisfied with APO + Peace.
Sonar Reference has trial version for couple days and I made quckly impulse response from curve correction
Old 09-01-2021, 06:49 AM   #18
Pashkuli
Banned

You can use Convolution Impulse responses with APO too.
It is a binaural simulator or Room simulator.
dSONIQ RealHeadhpnes have it built-in, but it costs $100US or so.

*the problem is to find the correct format of bit\kHz impusle response for your setup (I usually prefer 24bit\48kHz, but those are not quite easy to find)
* more info here:
APO - BRIR convolution
v.8.0.0 (May 15, 2021) of the files include more than 180MB of BRIRs (room impulses)
it has HpCF for crazy amount of headphone brands, including Sennheiser.
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz (all files seem to be 44.1kHz)
Bit depth : 24 bits

APO - impulses and correction

Quote:
It includes binaural room impulse responses (BRIRs), headphone compensation filters (HpCFs) and configuration files for Equalizer APO. The dataset can be used to create spatial surround sound on headphones through BRIR and HpCF convolution.

And this one is quite good (and free). Linux only though!
LSP Impulse Reverb (stereo)

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-01-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #19
ashcat_lt

Quote:
...surely it would be possible to do the same for microphones as well...
This has literally existed for decades
https://www.antarestech.com/product/mic-mod/
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #20
tomo34

Quote:
Hi, tomo34
take a look here:
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

Heaphones list

* for Windows only!
*it is free, but needs a proper setup
*it starts with your OS (optional) systemwide
* it does not go through ASIO (thus it won't affect your DAW audio signal, but you can always copy the curve into ReaEQ and put the latter in the MonitoringFX section)

If you need any help with that, keep posting. Here it is on my PC:
Where did you find response profile data for yours Beyerdynamic 770 (Q factor, gain, frequency) to put them into Peace?

I try to find this data for my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (MK1) but on this page a see just graph from measurments:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro...280-13.php#rw1

In other words above graph represents errors that needs to be invert in order to obtain "flat" response from this headphones. I cant find basic txt data from this graph.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #21
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Where did you find response profile data for yours Beyerdynamic 770 (Q factor, gain, frequency) to put them into Peace?

I try to find this data for my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (MK1) but on this page a see just graph from measurements:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro...280-13.php#rw1

In other words above graph represents errors that needs to be invert in order to obtain "flat" response from this headphones. I cant find basic txt data from this graph.

From the same site (list page, the website is in Russian, but I do not have problems with reading Russian), so I get the "professional" report.
But then I explore my headphones and my ears with a program called Mathaudio - headphoneEQ to see how my ears react to those specific headphones I have bought. Then make an average curve and edit it in Affinity Designer (or Inkscape, which is free).

I just showed you that you can do that if you wanted - EQ match correction or whatever within Peace GUI for E-APO.
Different sources give a bit different results as production generations are not exactly the same, measuring processes are not exactly the same.
Peace allows you to adjust manually the gain, Q, pitch within the interface of the EQ graph curve: might not seem precise, but it does not have to be, because discrepancies along the way are expected.

I use the E-APO Dataset (the big zip file from the link).
In there is a folder with all the measurement for the supported\tested\measured headphones.
You choose which one to load up in the config panel of E-APO.

I can not see Peace panel for this option though. So you have to do it from E-APO.

I know it is a bit confusing jumping from interface to interface, but the correction can be done in multiple ways, depending on the needs.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-02-2021 at 12:00 PM.