Old 04-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
mister happy
Human being with feelings

Default Add Stretch marker close to another?

Hello,
I am learning about Stretch Markers etc.

Yesterday, I used the transient detect method to add some stretch markers. One of the locations was slightly before the location automatically chosen, so I tried to add another marker, but could not get one to appear at my cursor. As a test, I moved the cursor further away and was able to set a marker.

It seems as if there is some sort of limit to the near proximity of two markers.

Now, I am trying to figure out if I was doing something incorrectly or if there is some sort of minimum distance requirement. Maybe everything was normal, but I did not understand how to use the tool.

Can someone please advise?

Thank you.
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
domzy

i've just tried this, and it does seem to prevent you from adding stretch markers very close to each other, but you seem to be able to move it closer if you insert one as close as you can, and then drag it.
We seem to be talking about milliseconds though, personally i would think it would be quite unusual to want to stretch items to this degree of accuracy, but that's just me, probably.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
mister happy

Hi,
I am coming from SONAR where you can slide the position of a stretch (known in SONAR as a Transient Marker) marker after it has been placed, without actually stretching the audio.

Yesterday in Reaper the Transient Detection set a marker just a bit late. In SONAR I would have slid the marker to a new place, but in Reaper it seems I can not slide the marker without stretching the audio, and so I assumed that I needed to add a different marker manually. That is why I was trying to place a second marker so close to another.
I am still learning the new workflow, and feel sure that I will discover new and better ways to work as I continue. Right now I am trying to learn the best way to combine markers produced by detection with manually placed markers.

Thank you.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
domzy

ok, i understand now, i think deleting the inaccurate one first and then adding one manually is what i generally do in this case. Your Sonar method sounds better though, i don't know of a way to do that.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
mister happy

Hi,
I think what was happening is that I could delete the stretch marker but not the transient marker it was based on. I was confused at the time and may not recall exactly what was going on.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister happy View Post
Yesterday in Reaper the Transient Detection set a marker just a bit late. In SONAR I would have slid the marker to a new place, but in Reaper it seems I can not slide the marker without stretching the audio, and so I assumed that I needed to add a different marker manually. That is why I was trying to place a second marker so close to another.
AFAIK you cannot move a stretch marker without affecting the underlying audio. However, by Alt-leftdragging the stretch marker, you can move the audio without moving the marker, which is pretty much the same thing.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
mister happy

Hi,
Thanks for explaining how this works. FWIW, I just confirmed that I can not manually place a stretch marker in near proximity of a transient detection marker, so turning the transient marker into a stretch marker and then using the method you describe seems like a good workflow.

Thank you.