Old 11-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Topper
Human being with feelings

Default Using Reaper for live performance

Hiya

Could someone point me in the right direction of a tutorial for using Reaper plug-ins
In a live situation. I want to use them on live vocals so I need to understand how to route
The audio from my desk into Reaper and back into the desk like waves. I am using a Vi2000
with a Dante network.

Thanks in advance
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome !
Supposedly the "How" is not a real problem. The issues are about how to get it working reliable, whioch might or might not be a problem .
Take a look at the "Live" subforum .
--Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
bazsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Welcome !
Supposedly the "How" is not a real problem. The issues are about how to get it working reliable, whioch might or might not be a problem .
Take a look at the "Live" subforum .
--Michael
funnily ive just posted about this. im doing the same thing but with an midas m32 and behringer x32 using the usb interface. latency is slightly more than dante but it works with live professor and multirack.

reaper!??? nope. anymore that 1 channel and theres glitches and distortion. unless i set the buffers to 128 which is too high for live sound. why can multirack and live prfoesso work at 64 and even 32.

ignoring that,,,, how is this supposed to work in a sutdio? where you want live monitoring for recording.... oh direct monitoring you say? well performances tend to perform better when theres a vibe and sometimes they dont like just the direct sound with no eq compressoin and reverb
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
serr

I've been running live sound with Reaper for 10 years now.

Get an audio interface with baseline low enough latency to let you achieve < 10ms RTL with a block size in Reaper of 128 samples. The point there is to avoid the budget USB models that would require you to lower your block size to 64 samples or less to hit the latency target of under 10ms. The larger block size you can get away with, the bigger plugins you can run live.

That leads to: The bottom line with plugins is you cant run any with a higher latency than your block size.

Reaper on a Mac is a champ for live sound. Never looked back. And you get to bring home multitrack of every gig.

FYI 48k sample rate is usually the sweet spot for lowest CPU use at lowest latency. 44.1k is just more latent with no CPU savings. 96k crosses the line and uses more CPU.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:08 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post
reaper!???
I don't see any reason why Reaper should be worse at this job than any other software doing the same (e.g. the same plugins). Reaper is known for lowest CPU overhead.

Did you perhaps use ReaVerb (which is not "Reaper" (-software) but a free courtesy plugin that comes bundled in the distribution). Regarding ReaVerb ou need to check the ZL and LL boxes for using it "Live". Other plugins (of whichever provenance) might feature similar issues.

-Michael
Old 11-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #6
bazsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I don't see any reason why Reaper should be worse at this job than any other software doing the same (e.g. the same plugins). Reaper is known for lowest CPU overhead.

Did you perhaps use ReaVerb (which is not "Reaper" (-software) but a free courtesy plugin that comes bundled in the distribution). Regarding ReaVerb ou need to check the ZL and LL boxes for using it "Live". Other plugins (of whichever provenance) might feature similar issues.

-Michael
This is exactly my point. no im usin waves plugins.

i have used live professor and waves multirack on same laptop and it works down to 32 samples (although 32 samples is pushing it) with same plugins.
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #7
mschnell

I don't use Waves due to their abysmal protection scheme. So I can't comment.

32 Sample block size seems unusually small (and hence demanding on CPU).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-26-2020 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:39 AM   #8
80icio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
Hiya

Could someone point me in the right direction of a tutorial for using Reaper plug-ins
In a live situation. I want to use them on live vocals so I need to understand how to route
The audio from my desk into Reaper and back into the desk like waves. I am using a Vi2000
with a Dante network.

Thanks in advance
Hey topper, maybe you already figured it out but i'm a live engineer and i did use plug ins on vocals for the previous 2 tours i did through dante network. The soundcraft Vi series are probably the easiest consoles to set up an external insert on dante network, you just need to run a Dante virtual soundcard on your laptop
80icio is offline   Reply With Quote