Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #241
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I think you'll be very impressed looking at ReaScript these days - there's very convenient MIDI gathering stuff in there now. So really for me, mentioning the Logical Editor is counter-cherry picking something that isn't even as powerful or flexible as the Reaper equivalent.
I am often impressed by "the script squad", the 4-5 guys here who keep turning out great scripts. That's kinda beside the point though because none of that stuff "comes with Reaper" the product, it has to be assembled or created by someone who has the skill to do it.

It's all great though, the scripting.

Quote:
but the context of this is that you think people are "delusional" who think that Reaper's MIDI editing is comparable to Cubase
I completely stand by that comment. When taken in it's totality - not cherry picking - it's very, very, very far apart, functionally. It comes down to people usually saying, when the full comparisons start to happen ... "Meh, I don't need that." ... which is cool because I also don't need a lot of what it does ... but somebody else does and suggesting they're equal across the board is... frankly... just plain not true.

It's good to discuss these things but let's try to live in the real world where 30+ years of midi development will be - miles - ahead of 10 years of midi development?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #242
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I think you'll be very impressed looking at ReaScript these days - there's very convenient MIDI gathering stuff in there now. So really for me, mentioning the Logical Editor is counter-cherry picking something that isn't even as powerful or flexible as the Reaper equivalent.
Disagree, sorry.
Even with all the scripting stuff available I still hope / wish for a logical MIDI editor in Reaper. (I remember the Cubase logical editor from my pre-Reaper days).

Reasosns:

- As Lawrence says, someone has to script the functionalty to start with.

- Logical editor combines a lot of functionality under one hood. Better workflow imo than having to dig up specific scripts for specific tasks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #243
Lawrence

I wasn't going to say it but it would take some serious coding with scripting to match the Midi Logical Editor in Cubase.

It's not just matching a few things it does here and there, it's matching everything it does, and I'm not sure some people who talk about it or compare it to other things and equalize them are even fully aware of it's capabilities. Doesn't sound like it, from some of the comments.

It's actually, technically and practically speaking, "managed scripting". It's not full free form scripting but it is (as a practical matter) scripting. I actually had never even thought about it before (in my many years with Cubase) but I recently did, and went to look at a MLE script in a text editor, wondering what it would look like. It's XML, the format, and the script, the functions or steps or logic, are created as a big block of numbers, nothing directly readable or editable.

But I get along fine without it.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-19-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #244
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Disagree, sorry.
Even with all the scripting stuff available I still hope / wish for a logical MIDI editor in Reaper. (I remember the Cubase logical editor from my pre-Reaper days).

Reasosns:

- As Lawrence says, someone has to script the functionalty to start with.

- Logical editor combines a lot of functionality under one hood. Better workflow imo than having to dig up specific scripts for specific tasks.
Yeah, I also miss the midi functions in Logic, as well as the esc key to choose contextual tools.

I still get by, but it is a bit slower, and as a relatively new Reaper user the idea of scripts is a bit intimidating, even though I've been composing with midi for over a decade.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #245
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Just a quick note re this point - you can reuse the same script and save scripts as presets if you like. At least that's how I've set it up. I'll share some stuff at some point, looking to making it as user friendly as possible beforehand.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #246
Jondis68

Default The Difference a day can make.......

I find this thread sorta funny.....

It was originally posted in late 2011. So it's been running now for 4.5 years.

I've spent the past several months diligently researching what the best DAW would be for me. Not only for my intended use, but also from an overall perspective.

A few decades ago I was very involved in the professional recording industry, live audio and even artist development and management. I took 25 years off and when I decided to get back into things (at least from a home recording perspective) I tried to read/watch every review and opininion I could find to make sure that whatever route I choose would be worthy of my time and efforts. Not only did I take advantage of the information available online... but I also engaged the help and opinions of industry friends and contacts of folks who continued on in the industry after I left.

In 2011 Reaper may not have been a household name in the DAW world.... but I believe it has come a long way. I was able to pull from a large pool of resources in my research and Reaper came to the top without many tagging close behind.

I will share one such opinion that I respect most of all....

I worked in the 80's and 90's with some very talented Musicians/Engineers/Producers... A few of them have gone on to wonderful things on a national and international level.

One group now owns and operates a very reputable Studio in my market and are used quite often by major labels, engineers and producers. Last year some of their efforts earned the artist a Grammy. They primarily use Pro Tools and that is mostly because they do quite a bit of pre-production and Tracking with the artists and then the project is mixed and mastered somewhere else. So the whole (industry Standard) of Pro Tools comes into play there. But when I asked the owner of the studio about Reaper...... He looked over his shoulder, as if to make sure no one was within ear shot, and he replied.... "Reaper is Bad Ass!"

I don't think Reaper suffers much anymore from not being known or considered a "Top Notch DAW". Most DAW discussions for the past few years all seem to include a nod toward Reaper.

Congrats to all!
Old 07-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #247
Jondis68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
This guru said this probably knowing not even 1% of what Reaper is capable of. If you look for your own ideas, your freedom, your flow, then there is only Reaper. It is about programming, design, openness, nobody cares of Grammy or guruness. Franz Kafka died unknown, so no Grammy there, what does it mean, nothing.
When trying to figure out an individual direction on a subject such as this.... When the market is saturated with, not only choices, but opinions.... we have to do our best to draw from somewhere/someone that we have trust and confidence.

Yes, the Grammy may be irrelevant. But what it means is that some recognition has been awarded and commercially what it means is that your phone might start ringing a bit more often and paychecks might be more frequent and even larger.

To someone that has bet their entire life's work and their chosen career path on something they love doing..... It can mean quite a bit.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #248
JHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
This guru said this probably knowing not even 1% of what Reaper is capable of. If you look for your own ideas, your freedom, your flow, then there is only Reaper. It is about programming, design, openness, nobody cares of Grammy or guruness. Franz Kafka died unknown, so no Grammy there, what does it mean, nothing.
That's funny. I didn't know Reaper was a Programming & Design Tool. I thought Reaper was a DAW as I've been using it to produce and mix audio and music. I guess I've been misusing it the whole time!
JHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #249
Softsynth

Reaper works well.
Everything else I've tried so far at the affordable end of the spectrum has had issues. I'm putting Sonar Artist on that list too, but it has it's good points and a lot of issues too.

Experience with Reaper:
install a plug in: it finds it quickly, it works.
Install a USB Midi controller: It finds it, it works.
Open a VST, look for patches/presets and they are there to use and see & edit.
Press record & arm functions and you capture the MIDI data from your keyboard AND the aftertouch data.
Install a new plugin and the DAW doesn't crash while trying to find it.
Doesn't come with bloat-ware that you will need to uninstall when you get some decent plugins.
Reaper doesn't have to rebuild it's now faulty plugin inventory when a small addition is made.
Reaper works happily with 3rd party plugins; all instrument plugins are 3rd party so it has to!
Reaper properly captures aftertouch data both polyphonic and channel AT.
Reaper is lightweight and doesn't require geek attention to detail just to make it work properly.

The various DAW programs I have tried before have had issues with some or all of the points above.

Short version (as per first sentence):
Reaper works well.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote