Old 04-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
braxtons12
Human being with feelings

Default LV2 Plugin support

Hey guys, I know it's not really a popular plugin format yet, but I'd love to see LV2 plugin support in Reaper.

On the windows side, it wouldn't be a huge issue, because we already have tons of VST plugins. It'd be cool to be able to use Harrison's plugins and other LV2 plugins though.

However, on the up-and-coming Linux NATIVE version, LV2 support would be a huge deal!
Most worthwhile plugins for linux are in LV2 format, not LinuxVST, so it would open up a huge range of plugin support. I know Linux NATIVE is in it's super infant stages, but it'd be awesome to get this ball rolling sooner rather than later.
braxtons12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
bcslaam

+1
I agree, its a logical step forward and would provide a good boost to developers doing LV2 for all platforms. Then that paves the way for Reaper linux and the beginning of a full open standard! No reliance on Steinberg, Apple, Microsoft.

Does anyone know if its in the pipeline?
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
+1
I agree, its a logical step forward and would provide a good boost to developers doing LV2 for all platforms. Then that paves the way for Reaper linux and the beginning of a full open standard! No reliance on Steinberg, Apple, Microsoft.

Does anyone know if its in the pipeline?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't (we're dealing with uber-geeks here)
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:14 AM   #4
MrHaroldA

I'd be really interested in that too! VST on Linux is still very unstable, and sometimes even unusable. LV2 support will add lots of plugins to the Native Linux port, and also enables Windows and Mac users to use lots of free, high quality, open source plugins.

A big, fat +1 from me
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
eric71

The current native Linux builds are working very well for most of my needs. Being able to use the excellent Calf, Guitarix and x42 LV2 plugins without needing Carla or some other bridge would be a huge bonus. +1 from me for LV2 support.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
CraigG58

I just ran into an LV2 plugin that I wanted to run in the Windows version of REAPER, and was surprised it didn't support that format.

So, add me to the BIG +1 list!
CraigG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaroldA View Post
I'd be really interested in that too! VST on Linux is still very unstable, and sometimes even unusable. LV2 support will add lots of plugins to the Native Linux port, and also enables Windows and Mac users to use lots of free, high quality, open source plugins.

A big, fat +1 from me
How are you using VST to begin with?
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
inarisound

Hmmm can someone give examples of worthy plugins in this format?

I never heard of this one before...
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
Fergler

Its a Linux version of VST
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
CraigG58

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
Hmmm can someone give examples of worthy plugins in this format?

I never heard of this one before...
Here's one real-life example:

I miss being able to use these excellent LV2 drum kit plugins, that also come with Mixbus (which I've since abandoned in favor of REAPER):

http://www.bandshed.net/avldrumkits/

Using these and others, you can create sort of a "Poor Man's Drumagog". This comes in handy for drum replacement on unruly tracks that would require a lot of EQ, compression, etc., not to mention all of the tweaking involved, in order to come even close to the sound of good drum samples:

1) Add the "JS: Audio To MIDI Drum Trigger" plugin (or your favorite gate plugin that has MIDI output capability). For example, if the kick drum track is lousy, set the gate to trigger on note 36 (kick drum).

2) Follow that with a good MIDI drum kit plugin (the ones above are excellent), and adjust things to taste.

This is of course only one example. The LV2 format seems to be becoming more and more popular these days and there are tons of other plugins out there, just do a bit of searching on Google.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Its a Linux version of VST
Are you sure? I'm not. http://linux-sound.org/linux-vst-plugins.html
There is LinVST, so it's not true.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Are you sure? I'm not. http://linux-sound.org/linux-vst-plugins.html
There is LinVST, so it's not true.
LV2 is the Linux LADSPA V2 plugin format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LV2

Nowadays it's available on most platforms, here is a list, but no idea what can be built/downloaded on the different platforms: http://lv2plug.in/pages/projects.html
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigG58 View Post
I just ran into an LV2 plugin that I wanted to run in the Windows version of REAPER, and was surprised it didn't support that format.
No idea if it works, but you can try to host it in Carla: https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/blob/master/README.md

Harrison's tom gate is nice
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
CraigG58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
No idea if it works, but you can try to host it in Carla: https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/blob/master/README.md

Harrison's tom gate is nice
Thanks for the tip!

I'd love to try this out, but if I run Carla.exe before or after starting REAPER I get the 'ol:

-------
Carla.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
-------

I'm running:
- Windows 10, totally up to date with patches.
- REAPER v5.75/x64 rev e0ec29 (haven't gone to the latest build quite yet, I'm one release down)
- Carla v1.9.8 (2.0-beta6)

Guess it's time to hit the developer's GitHub page, but before I do and possibly make an ass of myself, any ideas if I'm doing something wrong? The documentation on Carla seems to be mighty scarce.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #15
Jack Winter

I was envisioning to run carla as a vst plugin and load the lv2 plugins inside of it.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #16
CraigG58

Quote:
I was envisioning to run carla as a vst plugin and load the lv2 plugins inside of it.
I must be totally misunderstanding the way this thing works. There are no DLL files in the Windows 64-bit ZIP, the only executable being "Carla.exe", which fires up the entire GUI. How could it be run as a plugin?

Also, the developer's web site lists it as an "application", not a plugin:
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla
Old 02-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #17
Jack Winter

Quote:
I must be totally misunderstanding the way this thing works. There are no DLL files in the Windows 64-bit ZIP, the only executable being "Carla.exe", which fires up the entire GUI. How could it be run as a plugin?

Also, the developer's web site lists it as an "application", not a plugin:
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla
Heh, on linux carla is a linux vst too, so you can load it as a plugin in reaper to host other plugins. Didn't know that this was missing from the windows version.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:31 AM   #18
Jack Winter

I just asked the dev of carla, and unfortunately he hasn't been able to make carla work as a plugin on windows.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #19
CraigG58

Quote:
I just asked the dev of carla, and unfortunately he hasn't been able to make carla work as a plugin on windows.
Thanks for checking into this personally, Jack... Much appreciated!

Weird though, if it doesn't work with Windows, I wonder why there 32 and 64-bit Windows versions available for download on his web site? On the good side, I have been able to successfully run several LV2 plugins within it, the routing GUI is very cool, but there's no function to get it to "talk" to REAPER. Hopefully, he's still pursuing getting it to run as a plugin on Windows DAWs.

Oh well, guess we'll need to remain optimistic that the REAPER developers add LV2 support to the Windows version soon. There are so many great plugins out there in this format. It's the only thing I miss about Mixbus, which otherwise from my experience I consider a very inflexible and unstable DAW. Hence, the switch to REAPER... Much happier camper now, even without LV2!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #20
Jack Winter

Quote:
Weird though, if it doesn't work with Windows, I wonder why there 32 and 64-bit Windows versions available for download on his web site? On the good side, I have been able to successfully run several LV2 plugins within it, the routing GUI is very cool, but there's no function to get it to "talk" to REAPER. Hopefully, he's still pursuing getting it to run as a plugin on Windows DAWs.
You could try to get jack and qjackctl working on windows, if you can get that up and running you ought to be able to route audio from reaper to carla and back again. Though again something I've never done myself...

And it's probably a pain not to have the fx inside of reaper to be recalled when you load a project.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #21
CraigG58

Quote:
You could try to get jack and qjackctl working on windows, if you can get that up and running you ought to be able to route audio from reaper to carla and back again. Though again something I've never done myself...

And it's probably a pain not to have the fx inside of reaper to be recalled when you load a project.
Yep, I think that would be too much of a hassle to configure and maintain, or even if it's possible. I'm not feeling that adventurous. ;^)

For my purposes, I guess I just need to keep hunting for a good VST drum kit plugin, comparable to the Black Pearl or Red Zeppelin LV2 plugins I linked earlier... Suggestions welcome!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
MrHaroldA

Quote:
For my purposes, I guess I just need to keep hunting for a good VST drum kit plugin, comparable to the Black Pearl or Red Zeppelin LV2 plugins I linked earlier... Suggestions welcome!
You're on Windows, right? https://www.powerdrumkit.com/
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #23
Lokasenna

While you guys are waiting for native support, this seems promising: https://github.com/x42/lv2vst
Old 07-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #24
CraigG58

Thanks MrHaroldA, JamesPeters, and Lokasenna! Sorry for the delay in my reply... I've been away from home for the past month or so.

Will definitely check out all of your suggestions, they look very promising indeed.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to make these recommendations!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #25
CraigG58

Please excuse my noobness regarding drum replacement, but one more question if I may...

MT Power Drum Kit is very nice, but I wish it had additional choices of samples for each drum. Can anyone suggest a free VST drum kit plugin with more variety, or the ability to import other samples?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, feel free to smack me on the nose. Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #26
shosty

drumgizmo
(although I don't know how easy it is to swap samples, it is possible though)
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #27
CraigG58

Thanks shosty, this is close to exactly what I'm looking for!

You're right, it looks like it would be a bit of a job to configure it to work with other samples, but at least there are 5 kits available on their web site:

Main:
https://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php

Kits:
https://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php?id=kits

I've set up my effects rack on the kick drum channel with the "JS: Audio To MIDI Drum Trigger" plugin feeding DrumGizmo, using the proper kick drum notes as mapped in each kit's MIDI map XML file. The thing I can't figure out with this plugin is that, although I am getting sound, it's extremely weak. I think it must have something to do with the following, as noted in the README_VST.txt file which is part of the DrumGizmo ZIP:

"NOTE: DrumGizmo uses several audio output channels, which should be mapped manually in your software, just like you would do with any other plugin. We can't describe this step since it varies depending on your software. But keep in mind that if you do not map these channels, you will most likely only hear the output of one of the ambience microphones and it will sound really bad. So please take your time to get these mappings set up!"

Sure sounds like my problem, eh? Anyone have any experience with checking and setting this up properly in REAPER?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
shosty

Yeah that does sound like a fitting description. When I load drumgimo though I get a message asking about routing and it automatically creates output tracks. I haven't tried to play any sounds yet though, I'll have to download a kit and give it a try. There must be someone else here with experience of it though.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #29
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
While you guys are waiting for native support, this seems promising: https://github.com/x42/lv2vst
I have a post on setting this up in macOS here: http://www.admiralbumblebee.com/musi...-on-macOS.html

Maybe that'll help someone.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #30
CraigG58

Wow, thank you JamesPeters for that detailed explanation on DrumGizmo! I've had to read it several times to fully digest everything, but it's really helped me to understand how that plugin works.

FYI, I've been playing around some more with it, first loading it as a normal plugin and changing the "Run as" setting. Here's the results of that:

1) Run as > Default - Results in a blank UI.
2) Run as > Separate process - This is the only mode I can get any sound out of it at all.
3) Run as > Dedicated process - UI looks normal, but buttons do not work.
4) Run as > Native only - Same result as #1, must be the default.

I've also tried what you suggested, loading it as a virtual instrument. After doing that, I really think this thing is way overkill for what I'm trying to do, which is simple replacement on kick drum tracks. Having to add 16 tracks for that is way too cumbersome for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Probably the best thing for me to do now is to find additional instrument plugins for different sounds, similar to the "MT Power Drum Kit", which is a very nice sounding kit for openers. Here's a partial screenshot to give you an idea of my configuration, using a gate to trigger the kick drum.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y6k...5DxKilcz0/view

Once again, thanks so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain DrumGizmo in-depth!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:28 AM   #31
Smokehead

With the now available Linux-Build of Reaper on the Download page id' really like to see LV2 support much more!

For now i'm using Carla to use some Plugins but it's still not a native solution and requires some additional work/routing inside the plugin.
Smokehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 AM   #32
bcslaam

+1 for LV2 support
VST on linux is a dead end
Lets get Reaper linux really going
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #33
CraigG58

Hello again JamesPeters!

You're correct, what I'm after for now is "just a multi-velocity bank of kick samples".

I've got a ton of great samples in WAV format, from the free package available here:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/drum...samples-229460

I'm certainly no XML expert, so I'm sure this is just a rookie screw-up on my part...

I did experiment with the XML files trying to get this to work very simply, with only one kick drum sample, figuring I could add the rest later once I got things figured out. But, all I've managed to do is totally crash REAPER to the desktop when I attempt to load the single-sample kit I created into DrumGizmo.

Here's my directory configuration:

The path of the single sample I'm trying to use (along with many others I'd like to add later) is in:

D:\craig\Music\Cygnus Studios\Software\VST\drumgizmo-vst-64bit-0.9.14\Kick Drum Replacement\Acoustic

...and the sample name in that directory is "CYCdh_AcouKick-01.wav".

After a lot of experimenting in trying to get this to work, I'm a bit embarassed to say that the only thing I've accomplished is to thoroughly confuse myself as to how all of this needs to be configured.

I'd sincerely appreciate it if you could tell a DrumGizmo/XML newbie where I'm going wrong here, and perhaps provide example drum kit and midi map files that would accomplish what I'm after?

Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #34
CraigG58

Yep, I'm on Windows 10, and dgedit is just for Linux, correct? So, I've just been using Wordpad to do the editing.

I just found this page on the DrumGizmo web site that I didn't notice before:

https://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku....n:file_formats

At first glance, it appears to be just what I was looking for... The basic syntax of the XML files. So, hopefully I can figure it out using that information.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #35
shosty

Oh ok. Sorry, I deleted my reply because I realised you were replying to someone much more knowledgeable than me!

Yeah probably something very easy to fix when you know how. I'm sure there are xml checkers online that it might be worth putting it through if you get stuck.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #36
CraigG58

Sorry, left something out of my last post, new one coming...
Old 07-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #37
CraigG58

Hi JamesPeters, your favorite pain in the ass is back.

Okay, I think I've made a bit of progress here, but I'm still having some difficulties.

Again, my aim is to create a configuration which will perform a single kick drum replacement. Once I have that, I can duplicate it for my other various other kick samples.

Here's my current configuration... For the sake of sanity, I used the same filename as the sample as my naming convention:

Kick Drum Sample = "CYCdh_KesKick-08.wav" (stereo)
Resides in D:\craig\Music\Cygnus Studios\Software\VST\drumgizmo-vst-64bit-0.9.14\KickDrumReplacement\Instruments\Samples

Drum Kit XML
Resides in D:\craig\Music\Cygnus Studios\Software\VST\drumgizmo-vst-64bit-0.9.14\KickDrumReplacement

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<drumkit name="CYCdh_KesKick-08" description="Kick Drum Replacement Sample">
  <channels>
    <channel name="CYCdh_KesKick-08"/>
  </channels>
  <instruments>
    <instrument name="CYCdh_KesKick-08" file="Instruments/CYCdh_KesKick-08.xml">
      <channelmap in="CYCdh_KesKick-08" out="CYCdh_KesKick-08"/>
    </instrument>
  </instruments>
</drumkit>
Instrument XML
Resides in D:\craig\Music\Cygnus Studios\Software\VST\drumgizmo-vst-64bit-0.9.14\KickDrumReplacement\Instruments

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<instrument version="2.0" name="CYCdh_KesKick-08">
  <samples>
    <sample name="CYCdh_KesKick-08">
      <audiofile channel="CYCdh_KesKick-08" file="Samples/CYCdh_KesKick-08.wav" filechannel="1"/>
    </sample>
  </samples>
</instrument>
MIDI Map
Resides in the same directory as the drum kit XML file: D:\craig\Music\Cygnus Studios\Software\VST\drumgizmo-vst-64bit-0.9.14\KickDrumReplacement

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<midimap>
  <map note="36" instr="CYCdh_KesKick-08"/>
</midimap>

The first strange thing I ran into was, I couldn't get this to work at all until I added 'version="2.0"' to the instrument XML file. I noticed this parameter in the DrumGizmo XML syntax documentation, and gave it a try. Low and behold, after that I was finally hearing the replacement sample.

But, I'm only hearing it from the left channel, and only when I turn the "Wet" control on DrumGizmo up. On the right channel, I hear the original kick track. Obviously, something is still screwed up with my XML or routing, or maybe it's because the sample is in stereo?

Lastly, here's a screenshot of my mixer plugin layout:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bN...N4A6Mt0JYhh2uK

This has got to be something simple, any ideas where I'm screwing up here?
Old 07-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #38
JamesPeters

Hi Craig,

I could look at your syntax and explain the DrumGizmo XML files to the extent I understand them, and I'd be glad to do it, however...

...if all you're trying to do is trigger a single sample and not a "bank" of samples (for instance the same kick drum with multiple samples for variations in velocity), DrumGizmo isn't needed. That's much simpler to do with ReaSamplOmatic5000.

When I said DrumGizmo could use a kit "consisting of as little as a single sample, on a single key, using only one output", I didn't expect that's what you wanted to do!

Check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJD7aNzSmO8

Also this, for using ReaSamplOmatic5000 for non-drum sounds mapped across a keyboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pdzzLkEF_U

You'll notice some of the settings he uses aren't useful for drum samples, and also he maps the same sample across the entire keyboard since it's a non-drum instrument.

ReaSamplOmatic5000 can do even more when you use multiple instances on a track and use the "round robin" feature, but I doubt you're interested in that. You can even use a bunch of ReaSamplOmatic5000 instances to make a whole multi-channel/multi-velocity/round-robin'ed drumkit. The kits I mentioned earlier were already made that way, actually. The only drawback to using ReaSamplOmatic5000 for that sort of thing: it uses a lot more CPU to make a complex "sample bank" drumkit compared to using DrumGizmo.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #39
CraigG58

Hi again James...

Absolutely perfect, took me about 2 minutes to set up! Simple, and accomplishes exactly what I wanted. I'll definitely be checking out those videos.

I need to "RTF-REAPER-M" more closely before bugging people. A simple search on drums in there would have found it, but I never suspected REAPER itself came complete with a great plugin like this.

No worries about the CPU usage... I've got an Intel Core i7-7700 Quad-Core CPU in my DAW PC that runs at @3.60 GHz, along with 16GB of RAM and SSD hdisks. This thing is a beast, literally boots Windows 10 in about 5 seconds. It's perfect for DAW software and, even with a 20 track REAPER mix and a boatload of plugins, I've never seen CPU utilization get above 5%!

I also noticed a template called "ReaDrums" in the manual that was written for use with ReaSamplOmatic5000. I'll likely get into playing around with that a bit down the road, if I need to do something a bit more complex.

On a closing note: I love these forums! I played around with Harrison Mixbus for a while (about as flexible and easy to use as eating a broken glass sandwich, what a waste of time that was). If you even mention another DAW in their forums (for instance, this is how I did [insert function here] in Cakewalk, how do I do it in Mixbus?), trolls abound who will lecture you about everything from "violating analog workflow" (whatever that means, its a DAW and therefore obviously digital) to poor mix planning, and whatever else you can think of under the sun, before finally bringing the full wrath of God down upon your head. Here, it's just the opposite, and that's a great thing... Such a useful place to learn, thanks to people like you!

I sincerely thank you once again for all your help and being so generous with your time, it's much appreciated. Not to mention, unlike the Harrison forums, you didn't humiliate me like I was a total DAW noob.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #40
CraigG58

Will give configuring those kits a try eventually, already have them downloaded.

I mentioned this earlier, but I think you'd really like the free samples that can be found here:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/drum...samples-229460

Check 'em out when you get a chance!