Old 04-17-2024, 06:07 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default New Chucktown album - VINTAGE

It is with great pride and excitement that we have released our new album Vintage. 10 unique takes on classic cocktail lounge music tunes. And of course, 100% done in Reaper.

Enjoy and we are always happy for any feedback.

Listen here
https://sites.google.com/view/chuckt...age?authuser=0

Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:55 PM   #2
Coachz

460 views and zero comments. Wow, I am dissapoint.

Old 04-20-2024, 11:01 AM   #3
Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
460 views and zero comments. Wow, I am dissapoint.
Welcome to the new era of the internet.

Try posting it across everysinglesocialmediaplatform next time with a tiktok dance or a shocking opinion to wake up all the meat zombies, you'll get more engagement this way. Add some shockedface.emoji's too. And try going for a better title,"You will NEVER guess what happens in this album!" along with a surprised thumbnail of your face.

Part of it might be due to many of the services being region locked too, and I think all of them required a subscription or at the very least an account creation.. But the main reason is that forum engagement across the whole net died a long time ago, but now they are really dead. I always prefered forums, they used to be so full of life and you'd have to bump your thread after 10 minutes because it would get buried on page 4, but now almost every forum I stumble upon now is a ghost town with the exception of the odd subforum here and there. Sad.

</ramble>

I was only able to listen to short snippets, but it was nice and warm, and really captured a warm smokey bar room vibe. What's the secret to seperating the elements so well without it becoming sterile, and getting all that warmth and capturing a room so well?
Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:53 AM   #4
Coachz

I thought you were supposed to take weapons and drugs to the airport and get discovered with your band logo. /s

Thank you for the very nice words. The secret is AR verb. Singularly the most amazing tool to make it easy for me to place an instrument in the sound field. I also EQ things dramatically using the free fresh air plugin which blows me away. I also do a lot of basic panning and a lot of automated panning to keep things lively. We have been working on this for a year and we're very happy with the end result and it has been played a lot contrasting it with our reference albums that we use for our standards and we're very happy with the result.

https://arverb.com/
Old 04-20-2024, 01:58 PM   #5
msundh

It's not my cup of bourbon, but the mix sounds good.
The vocals are really great.
It sounds really professional.
Which one is you? John?
Old 04-20-2024, 02:53 PM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
It's not my cup of bourbon, but the mix sounds good.
The vocals are really great.
It sounds really professional.
Which one is you? John?
Thank you for the great feedback. I am John.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:39 AM   #7
Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I thought you were supposed to take weapons and drugs to the airport and get discovered with your band logo. /s

Thank you for the very nice words. The secret is AR verb. Singularly the most amazing tool to make it easy for me to place an instrument in the sound field. I also EQ things dramatically using the free fresh air plugin which blows me away. I also do a lot of basic panning and a lot of automated panning to keep things lively. We have been working on this for a year and we're very happy with the end result and it has been played a lot contrasting it with our reference albums that we use for our standards and we're very happy with the result.

https://arverb.com/
A year well spent. Thanks for sharing some of your methods. I just picked up a 30 day demo of ARverb and I'm already sold.
Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:18 AM   #8
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ears View Post
A year well spent. Thanks for sharing some of your methods. I just picked up a 30 day demo of ARverb and I'm already sold.
I'm so glad. Another trick I learned is it when I'm trying to compress something like a vocal or a saxophone I find that I really have to crush it pretty well to get it in the pocket but then I find that the hives are suffering from the compression. I used the free fresh air plug in and put that after the compression. Before sucks. After is golden. When I put it after I can lift the highs back up and have it nice and tight in the pocket.

Bruce Swedien was well known for reamping synthesizers and micing the room sound. Add AR Verb to synths or just about anything to really place it in a soundstage space till you visualize a real band with instruments in their places. Roll of highs as needed with a separate plug. Make sure to keep the pan on the center when you are using the verb to set the pan position.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:20 AM   #9
ggrey

Hi John, excellent work! Love how you mixed the drums so that they are always heard, but not mixed too loud "Vintage" sounding. And a beautiful job with all the instruments. I only listened on my MS Surface, but the mix is sweet.

If any suggestion at all could be made, in my opinion, you could have increased the bass by a dB...but that's just being nit-picky. Great job!
ggrey is offline   Reply With Quote