Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-17-2024, 03:03 AM   #1
kodebode2
Human being with feelings

Default How do I create this kind of spaciousness in a mix

https://open.spotify.com/track/70L68...3c9fe4393b440d

Please listen to this song and the album by Adam Blackstone, how do I create such width and spaciousness in a mix?

Thanks
kodebode2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:07 PM   #2
mschnell

Not everybody has spotify
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:37 PM   #3
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Not everybody has spotify
I'm sorry, I'm using the free Spotify, which I assumed everyone has access to, I assumed this was the case.

I'll try to find the song on Youtube.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:38 PM   #4
MiddleC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=h5g_NoJPw0A

That the one?
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:02 PM   #5
mschnell

Do you mean the vibraphone which is very closely miked in stereo and then got a lot of reverb ?
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:35 AM   #6
Softsynth

Mainly achieved with careful arrangement and mixing style.

In this case hard steering of instruments into the left and right channels - old fashioned retro stereo.
Not cluttering the sound with too many instruments fighting in the same frequency range.

Stronger reverb and notably delay on the centralised vocals.

Careful control of the sound with EQ. limited bandwidth on the band instruments.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:15 PM   #7
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
Yes this is the one. When I 1st heard it, it blew my mind, cos its not what listen to usually.

The free Spotify stream of the song(which is already compressed lossy audio), sounds definitely better than the Youtube one (which is also compressed lossy audio).

Of course the arrangement and the song, as well as the performance is flawless. Timing, and very well recorded.

What blew my mind on the initial listen and still does is when you hear both Adam Blackstone and Queen Latifah sing (When I listened just now, I did not know she could sing that well - come to think of it that shocked me - cos I thought she is a rapper - in my whole wide world I cannot imagine she could reach such high notes), was the sense of space when the to singers, panned slightly to the left, seem to be in a wonderful space, somewhat reverberant. Just nice.

I know I'll get there one day as a mixing engineer, to be able to easily recreate such lush ambience in vocals, but this one really impressed me, and rather than me struggle on my own to replicate in my home studio, I thought its far more efficient to ask others, than me struggle on in trial and error. Thought of finding out who mixed that record, and asking them to share the technique with me !!

Truth be told when I heard it again now, I'm hoping as I continue to learn, one day I could do even better and create a sound/space that's even more amazing.

Any tips, ideas, approaches, I could try out or tools/plugins, would be great.

Took me a few years, but I think I've mastered things like EQ, Compression/Dynamics, and Reverb/Delays and creating spaces is my final frontier, further to which I'd hope I can now do all that's in my mind when I think of pushing a song in one direction or another - emotionally as a mixing engineer. Which is what it's all about creating that feeling with a song or some audio.

On further listening, I could really hear the panning of the instruments. There are some other tracks on that album that impressed me with their spaciousness, I'll listen to the whole album in a few days from now, and come back here with the highlights I remember

Keen to really master spaces, in mixing.

Thanks for responding.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:25 PM   #8
bucca

again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
Old 04-20-2024, 04:33 PM   #9
Wallaby

What a wonderful song, it mainly lives from the composition and the arrangement.

She is singing great, I think her reverb has a bit predelay.

Beside that, a solid mix, nothing special. Very good work with professional musicians, I love it.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:43 AM   #10
kodebode2

Overall since I started this thread, I've spent a bit more time listening critically, improving my listening tools/environment, and I think a lot of excellence in music is about - determination to be good at this craft, in whatever capacity one is involved (being resolute about improving, and never ever stopping the enquiry, and learning), and being ready to put in the hard work, also lots of reflection, and simply never giving up.

The people who mix great albums are human beings after all. If they can do it, we also can, if we put our mind to it.

But there is one other caveat. Having good hearing. The best we can do is protect our hearing. But that is one factor that may be out of our control. Some have exceptional hearing, similar to how some musicians are just phenomenally gifted. But I still think even with great ears, determination and effort and learning, will eventually get me/us where we want and need to be.

Thanks all for the ideas shared with me. Highly appreciated.

One thing I continue to do, is listen to well produced music. And with my improved listening environment, I can hear so much more into music, and trust that this will also improve my mixing results. Kinda like having reading glasses allows one to see better.

Thanks everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Do you mean the vibraphone which is very closely miked in stereo and then got a lot of reverb ?
Yes the vibraphone was nice, but everything else just sounded so cool. Spacious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Mainly achieved with careful arrangement and mixing style.

In this case hard steering of instruments into the left and right channels - old fashioned retro stereo.
Not cluttering the sound with too many instruments fighting in the same frequency range.

Stronger reverb and notably delay on the centralised vocals.

Careful control of the sound with EQ. limited bandwidth on the band instruments.
Cool ideas. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
What a wonderful song, it mainly lives from the composition and the arrangement.

She is singing great, I think her reverb has a bit predelay.

Beside that, a solid mix, nothing special. Very good work with professional musicians, I love it.
Absolutely agree. I think ultimately good mixing, takes lots of listening, experience, practice, and it helps to have well recorded sources.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:42 PM   #11
bolgwrad

I daresay it was recorded in a huge room with a great band - accurately

SoundOnSound magazine has a huge archive of articles interviewing engineers and producers of 'classic' tracks, most of which are very interesting. (All genres).

https://www.soundonsound.com/classic...section%3A6971
Old 05-13-2024, 08:19 AM   #12
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
I daresay it was recorded in a huge room with a great band - accurately

SoundOnSound magazine has a huge archive of articles interviewing engineers and producers of 'classic' tracks, most of which are very interesting. (All genres).

https://www.soundonsound.com/classic...section%3A6971
Thank you. I'm a SoundonSound avid reader, and will follow up on your suggested study path.