Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
lowellben
Human being with feelings

Default Track numbers are inconsistent, help?

I have tried to figure this out but I cannot.

Sometimes the track numbers are black, sometimes impossible to see white.

I tried toggling record, etc. but I can't trigger it back to black. Even new tracks have white numbers.

What is causing this? How can I always make it black normal track number font color?

Thank you.

(See image, track number 3 = WHITE font, only)

Old 10-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I wrote this behaviour into the theme because you can set your custom colour to be anything you like. The theme calculates an approximation of the luma of your chosen colour, and if its too bright then it swaps the text colour to black.

It should never do "impossible to see white" ; that's what its supposed to prevent! ...could you please grab a screenshot of that?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I wrote this behaviour into the theme because you can set your custom colour to be anything you like. The theme calculates an approximation of the luma of your chosen colour, and if its too bright then it swaps the text colour to black.

It should never do "impossible to see white" ; that's what its supposed to prevent! ...could you please grab a screenshot of that?
How can I make the default Reaper theme simply use black track numbers? Thank you. White is difficult to see with my color theme and I'd rather not re-pick colors in order to have the theme auto-"calculate" the track number color to black each time for me. I appreciate the theme thinking what's best for me based on colors but I'd like the track number to always be black. Possible?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Yes, it would be easy to edit the theme so that the track number is always black.

But hang on, one thing at a time. Can we get to the bottom of the bug you've reported? Could you please do me a screenshot of the number remaining white when it shouldn't, resulting in impossible to see white?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
lowellben

Quote:
Yes, it would be easy to edit the theme so that the track number is always black.

But hang on, one thing at a time. Can we get to the bottom of the bug you've reported? Could you please do me a screenshot of the number remaining white when it shouldn't, resulting in impossible to see white?
Sigh. Look, I'll clarify and play along. I never said it was a bug. To my eyes, it's nearly impossible to see compared to blank font color. Ok? To my eyes. Next time I'll make it even more obvious that it's a personal preference and not a bug, even though you know, I never said bug.

Ok. Messaged received. People are sensitive about things. Got it. At this point I'm almost sorry I asked.

Moving along. How can one edit the theme in order to keep all track numbers black regardless of track color and calculations made by the computer? Thanks. I prefer to make my own calculations and simply make this equation:

track numbers = always black font color.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Sigh. Look, I'll clarify and play along. I never said it was a bug.
I think he's agreeing with you and just trying to help you out in addition to clearing up a potential inconsistency in the product. I mean as many things that you post as agreeably 'absurd'... when someone stops to help, who actually can help, seems like it might be a good idea to run with it no?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think he's agreeing with you and just trying to help you out in addition to clearing up a potential inconsistency in the product. I mean as many things that you post as agreeably 'absurd'... when someone stops to help, who actually can help, seems like it might be a good idea to run with it no?
Personally I disagree. He was not agreeing with me. He's aware of what he's doing. It's all good. I don't really care to be honest. I know what I said. I'm ok with it.

I ran with it.

Holding my answer hostage while he forces me to "explain this bug" (which I never called a bug) is classic banter and I can take it. But it's par for the course around here. With "people like me".

I'm over it.

But FWIW, I like you. You're always very helpful indeed.

I know in the past maybe I ruffled people a bit, but in this thread I did nothing wrong. No yelling, bitching, moaning, no clickbait title, just nothing. Just a normal question and yet again, bandwagon, people are unhappy with how I phrased a question. Whatever. Classic.

Last edited by lowellben; 10-04-2016 at 09:39 AM.
lowellben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
karbomusic

Hmm.. All I see is his asking to hold on a second so he can address things in order. No biggie.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Hmm.. All I see is his asking to hold on a second so he can address things in order. No biggie.
Ok! I can agree to that Sure. Accusing me of making this all out to be a bug? Whatever. Some people are very sensitive about their work. I'm sorry I even asked this question now. Should have known better. I don't live in a bubble.

Happy Tuesday to you!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
VinodXAgent

As a non native speaker I can't see why you are so bitchy. He is trying to figure out why there is a white Tracknumber on your light blue coloured Track. Maybe he just found a bug in his Luma calculations and just wants to make Reaper better.
Greetings from Hamburg
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
lowellben

So, are you going to help by answering the question or did you decide not to because of the "bug"? Holding information hostage. Always a good decision lol

Question remains how to change the font color to black always for track numbers in the default theme in REAPER 5.

Help please?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
lowellben

Quote:
I wrote this behaviour into the theme because you can set your custom colour to be anything you like.
How? How?
Old 10-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
ReaperMadness

I can tell you this - when I R-click and choose "custom color" all is well - trk number adjusts appropriately to white or black, depending on color chosen.

However, if I choose a color via Ed's color tool, the number stays as it was prior to using Ed's to alter the color.

In other words, if it was black and I change to white using the R-click method, the number switches to black, as it should. But when I use Ed's color tool to change to white, the number stays white, and vica versa.

Like this:

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 11-25-2016 at 03:36 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
lowellben

Thanks. That helps a little. But I don't have that color ED that you do, nor do I understand it. How can I edit the theme so it always is black font? I didn't think it was that much trouble, sorry. Guess I'm the issue.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #15
lowellben

Seriously? You won't write back and tell me how to edit the theme like you said you would WhiteTie? Stay classy bro. I'll figure it out myself. I'm not going to beg. What a shame. I behaved myself all thread and still treated like garbage.

Proud of yourself guys? What a crowd.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #16
ReaperMadness

Relax. Did if ever occur to you that he may have something else in his life besides staring at this forum 24/7? Say... Maybe work and sleep?

Give it 24 hrs or so from his prior posts - that's most likely the time of day he has a chance to check out what's going on here.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:13 AM   #17
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Relax. Did if ever occur to you that he may have something else in his life besides staring at this forum 24/7? Say... Maybe work and sleep?

Give it 24 hrs or so from his prior posts - that's most likely the time of day he has a chance to check out what's going on here.
lol I checked his profile he was around the forums. I'm plenty relaxed. I live in the real world. Some people need to validate their lives and milk their modicum of power (or in this case, knowledge, over others). Too bad. They'll wake up one day and see.
This theme is his baby and he's so protective and sensitive about it. Whatever

But thanks though. Right on cue!

Last edited by lowellben; 10-05-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:52 AM   #18
Lokasenna

lowellben - Did you even try to look for yourself? It's almost the first thing you see in rtconfig.txt. Run a search for the word "color".
Old 10-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #19
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
lowellben - Did you even try to look for yourself? It's almost the first thing you see in rtconfig.txt. Run a search for the word "color".
Hi there. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction but yes, I found the file and didn't know where to begin and feared breaking something. I was hoping someone smarter could assist instead of giving breadcrumbs one fragment at a time.

For example, can you elaborate on the rtconfig you mentioned? And actually, maybe walk me through the answer to my question? People get help on this forum all the time. Should we all start saying to people "find out yourself!", I think not.

Can you help me? That way this thread can end and life can go on instead of this persistent urge to want to make an example out of people? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #20
Pet

Quote:
That way this thread can end...
Go to line 40 to 45 and comment them out with a semicolon. You know how to do that.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #21
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
Go to line 40 to 45 and comment them out with a semicolon. You know how to do that.
I know how to comment, yes. Sadly though I do not have the confidence to always know what to comment, and when.

Thanks Pet.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #22
Lokasenna

If you're tinkering with your own version of the theme, you really shouldn't be scare of breaking things. Save your work as you go, in multiple versions if you want, and then you can go backwards if something messes up.

Anyway, WT went to great lengths to make the v5 theme easy to read and understand. As long as you know the name for the setting you're trying to change, like track numbers, Ctrl+F will typically find what you need.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #23
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
If you're tinkering with your own version of the theme, you really shouldn't be scare of breaking things. Save your work as you go, in multiple versions if you want, and then you can go backwards if something messes up.

Anyway, WT went to great lengths to make the v5 theme easy to read and understand. As long as you know the name for the setting you're trying to change, like track numbers, Ctrl+F will typically find what you need.
thank you for this post. it was very helpful and exactly what i was looking for friend. cheers.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #24
lowellben

Quote:

Hey guy,

Does this not look terrible to you? No matter what I do I cannot "FORCE" Reaper to make this font BLACK and not WHITE like it is now. This is unusable.

This is impossible to see and is very unpolished and unprofessional. I cycle through ALL colors, and even attempt to create custom colors, but these numbers WILL NOT change to black/normal font colors. Period.

Workaround? Sure. But I have to copy all the data to a NEW default non-colored track, and delete this crappy white number one. Then change the color from that default newly created track to a color and THEN if I'm lucky its number will be default black/font. But as it stands now, ignore it or not, Reaper has a glitch where sometimes it simply won't update the track number to a USABLE color. I guess Reaper knows best

Just thought you'd like to know this is STILL an issue with the default theme in version 5 of Reaper.

I can keep doing this all day long bro Thanks!

Edit:
Just found an "easier" workaround to fix the obvious bug that nobody wants to call a "bug" because people are sensitive but anyway, hope this helps someone.

Fix: If you find track numbers colored in an unusable and blinding font color mismatch, simply save your file and RE OPEN it, that seems to flush out the BUG and restore proper track number COLORS to usable matched choices.

Theme gurus:
Can this be fixed to prevent a reboot and/or creating a new track and copying data to it? I can quite easily trigger this mismatch so for now I'll be forced to re-open Reaper but figured I'd share this report in hopes it may get attention someday. That's all
Attached Images
File Type: png lol.png (4.8 KB, 656 views)

Last edited by lowellben; 10-28-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Fix: If you find track numbers colored in an unusable and blinding font color mismatch, simply save your file and RE OPEN it, that seems to flush out the BUG and restore proper track number COLORS to usable matched choices.

Theme gurus:
Can this be fixed to prevent a reboot and/or creating a new track and copying data to it? I can quite easily trigger this mismatch so for now I'll be forced to re-open Reaper but figured I'd share this report in hopes it may get attention someday. That's all
This is a REAPER bug -- if you set the custom color via the track manager, it doesn't update the background (if you use the "set track color" actions, it does update the background properly). Fixing this.

As a side note -- if you set the custom color via SWS, it also does not update. This might need to be fixed in SWS (looking into solutions now).

As a further workaround: if you find the color is wrong, simply resize the tracks (via the TCP pane, even) and it will update the color.

Last edited by Justin; 10-28-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #26
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This is a REAPER bug -- if you set the custom color via the track manager, it doesn't update the background (if you use the "set track color" actions, it does update the background properly). Fixing this.

As a side note -- if you set the custom color via SWS, it also does not update. This might need to be fixed in SWS (looking into solutions now).

As a further workaround: if you find the color is wrong, simply resize the tracks (via the TCP pane, even) and it will update the color.
Thanks Justin! I wish I knew the jargon better to explain the reproduction but I'm glad you could make sense of my nonsense! Good luck with the fix and thanks for the clarification! You say it much more eloquently.