Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
mjwolf
Human being with feelings

Default Constant stream of pitch bend midi data

Hi folks - I don't know if this is a problem with Reaper or something silly I might have inadvertent done. I've been happily using Reaper on a 64 bit Windows 10 machine for the last year and a half, but for the last week or so I've experienced the following problem - whenever I put a VST into record mode Reaper is creating a constant unending stream of pitch bend data. Similarly, if I were to program in some midi notes and hit play, the playback is affected by this unending stream of pitch bend data.

I've confirmed that it is definitely not my MIDI controller at fault - the problem occurs just the same with the controller unplugged, and the MIDI-OX utility shows that my hardware is sending MIDI data fine. As soon as I put a VST into record mode I can see in the mixer window that the track is receiving MIDI data from somewhere, and when you record something in and look in the midi editor, the pitch-bend lane is wall-to-wall green columns.

Any advice on where to look to rectify this gratefully received.
mjwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
DarkStar

Perhaps you could compress two simple problem project files, before and after you have recorded a few MIDI notes (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
mjwolf

Hi there, thanks for the offer of taking a look. Fingers crossed I've actually done what you suggested (apologies if I've misinterpreted!). The attached ZIP folder has two files - one has a filename starting "Empty" that doesn't have any MIDI in it just one VST track with an instance of ReaSynth in it. The other has a filename starting "simple" that includes a short MIDI region just going up and down a C major scale, with completely haywire pitch bend info. Hopefully this is enough to help diagnose the problem.

Many thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Empty project to illustrate continual pitch bend.zip (4.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 04:06 AM   #4
DarkStar

Hmm, well I can see the Pitch Bend events, some even before the first recorded MIDI note. But if all you did is record some MIDI notes from your keyboard, then something in the chain before Reaper is creating them. Reaper does not spontaneously generate MIDI data.

Which MIDI Controller are you using?
Can you connect it directly (via USB) to your computer?
What happens if you insert MIDI_Logger on the track, enable Record etc but do not play any MIDI notes
Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
mjwolf

Hi there. I've fallen victim o the dreaded "mystery problem that fixes itself"! My keyboard is an NI Kontrol S88. Initially I thought that was at fault so posted to the NI forums, which is where I got the advice to install MIDI-OX to see if it was sending random MIDI, and it wasn't. I was still getting the problem in Reaper after unplugging the S88 from the PC.

However, I've just launched Reaper to try your suggestion re: MIDI logger and wouldn't you know it there's no more random pitch bend data.

Although the problem seems to have cleared, I'd love to know what might have caused it. This may be the newbie-est of newbie questions, but would you think it at all possible that the problem might have happened because I'd hit some keys on the S88 while Reaper was still loading? I'm trying to think of what I might have done differently today and that's the only thing that springs to mind, i.e.I didn't touch the S88 while Reaper was loading today.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
DarkStar

Faulty hardware?

https://www.native-instruments.com/f....230800/page-3
https://www.native-instruments.com/f...-fault.234035/
Old 06-24-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
mjwolf

Yeah, could be. I'll need to keep an eye on this, noting everything I'm doing with the hardware, and if the problem occurs again then back to the NI support is where I'll go (if only the keybed on the Nektar LX machines had a better piano feel I'd have gone for one of those). Thanks for looking into this - I'd not used the JS MIDI Logger before, so that's a really useful thing to know about.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #8
DarkStar

You might like this mod too:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189126
Old 06-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #9
DarkStar

And, try out the attached JS FX - it removes all Pitch Bend messages:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/iL0gAwe.png

How to install a JS FX (in Post #4)

And, here's one for the JS FX gurus - I see in those screenshots that there are multiple MIDI events at the same TimePos and Offset. How is that possible?
Attached Files
File Type: txt midi_pb_eater.txt (298 Bytes, 87 views)
Old 06-26-2018, 03:33 AM   #10
DarkStar

... any news?
Old 07-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
mjwolf

Hi there. The problem has actually just re-occurred, and this time I'm pretty sure I've captured the information to show that it is the Kontrol S88 that's at fault. Without the S88 connected via USB the MIDI-OX utility shows no midi events at all - then when I connect it a constantly scrolling series of pitch bend events displays. I've just sent screenshots to Native Instruments' support people and will post here to say how I get on.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:48 AM   #12
DarkStar

Can you return the hardware for an exchange?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #13
mjwolf

It's looking that way. They requested I send them the device ID, order invoice and country in case I need to return it (which I'm now sure I do!), which I've just done.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
Reason

I've got an M-Audio Axiom that does this, apparently it's a known issue with my controller. My workaround is to set min and max to 64 and then not use it, which works for me most of the time. Annoying though.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote