Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Argitoth
Human being with feelings

Default I HATE folder diving! please fix it!

i want to scream whenever I see this dialog. The least it could do is default you to the location of the project in question, doesn't even do that.

Last edited by Argitoth; 01-13-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Argitoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
EricM

Agreed! Cockos please change this dialog to the default one where you can just paste the file-path.

e
Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
J Reverb

+11111
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Fergler

Yeah, this bothers me a lot. I like the dialogue such as found in Save as, where all favourited locations, recent locations, different drive disks, etc are all there and easily accesible.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

Hella yeah!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
Lawrence

Lol.

Nah, we don't ever want to duplicate OS functionality, that makes little sense and causes bugs and stuff.

Look at all of the unnecessary bloat and bugs caused by the text box in the dialog below. Very un-Reaper like...

Last edited by Lawrence; 01-15-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
WyattRice

Reaper is using XP style folder browser. That would be an easy fix for the devs to do, I think.

Code:
if Windows version >= Vista then
Old 01-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
studio1602

A mighty +1 on this. File path, please!
studio1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
Argitoth

bump.

...is this not a 1-line-of-code fix?
Old 01-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
wallace

Yes please.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
musicbynumbers

This got me yesterday again and made my life a bit slower so a big yes again from me!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
ivansc

+1. Would be another nice little tidy-up
Old 06-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #13
Argitoth

bump bump bump bump
Old 06-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #14
sievr

yesyesyes
sievr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
vitalker

It should be fixed.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #16
clepsydrae

Other places, e.g. the render window, use similar file dialogs. Besides improving the file dialog, it would be great to remember the last-used directory per project for each dialog.
clepsydrae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #17
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Other places, e.g. the render window, use similar file dialogs. Besides improving the file dialog, it would be great to remember the last-used directory per project for each dialog.
Render dialog remembers last used directory.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #18
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Render dialog remembers last used directory.
Yeah, sorry, I'm just saying that all dialogs should have consistent (or at least useful) memories, and be the same kind of file dialog (when appropriate). I think reaper does a great job of this already, OP issue excepted.
clepsydrae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #19
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argitoth View Post

i want to scream whenever I see this dialog. The least it could do is default you to the location of the project in question, doesn't even do that.
Oh hey! Nailed this request!

Every time you open a project after FLAC'ing the audio...

Reaper has the ability to find the rest of the now FLAC files to substitute for the original wav files after pointing it to the first one. Hell yes let's please have the first obvious choice come up highlighted and ready to click OK on! (Especially when it's the very same project directory.)
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
DaveKeehl

+11111111
Old 06-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #21
Argitoth

so fucking tired of this.

if this isn't fixed soon I will fucking keep cursing, i will fucking keep making nosie until I am fucking banned from this forum.

fucking ban me now, getting so fucking tired of REAPER.

or I might get bored of trying to get banned, we'll see.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #22
Argitoth

IS THIS AN EASY FIX OR NOT?

IF NOT FINE...

IF IT IS... FUCKING FIX IT.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #23
Argitoth

I was the biggest fan on REAPER, I've made a life, I've made a living with it.

But I'm tired of all my bug reports getting no attention.

I'm done being nice, I'm done saying nice things about REAPER.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argitoth View Post
IS THIS AN EASY FIX OR NOT?

IF NOT FINE...

IF IT IS... FUCKING FIX IT.
I don't think that particular implementation of a "Folder Browse" dialog can include a textbox. If I'm interpreting it correctly, it's part of the OS and a textbox isn't one of it's features if memory serves.

However, as far as the initial path being ????? or always remembering the last path used, I think is possible but it remembering every last path based on context from where it is being opened feature wise, potentially more work. Last path seems most intelligent... Since Reaper deals with projects and media, it can't do the obviously simple fix of always opening where reaper.exe is (which would be as useless) so last path used it is. IOW, Reaper would need to be aware of where you 'want' it to open by default, your project folders, sample folders, who knows.

It's also important to remember that since Reaper tries to stay compatible both cross-platform (three of them mind you) and more importantly on much older OS versions all the way back to XP, it requires avoiding more modern OS implementations/features.

So, part of what you want probably is entirely possible, being and easy 10 minutes worth of code, I highly, highly doubt as changing it likely requires a number of other things to be considered and/or addressed that on the surface aren't obvious. What you see it doing and what it took to make it do that are typically not a 1:1 match complexity wise. Based on one of the links in your signature, I assume you already know most of this.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-15-2017 at 04:33 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #25
Sound asleep

I actually really fucking hate that microsoft has that dialog at all. That ones the worst one. There's one a level up that lets you paste the path into it, and that brings you to the right place, but the dialog that's like that still sucks compared to the good one, which in my mind should be the only one anybody ever uses.

I hate those limited windows dialogs so badly. I also really fucking hate the stupid "libraries" shit they send you to, which is completely useless, and while we're at it, the way their search puts you in this weird "search folder" kind of thing, instead of easily letting you go to the source file location, and then browse your folders normally as though you got there by any other means.

Microsoft really grinds my gears sometimes.

I also don't know why any software developers ever use those useless dialogs microsoft has. There is one good one, and I don't see why one wouldn't always just use that.

That said, when it comes to programming stuff there is often a reason I don't see. But what it could be, idk.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post

Microsoft really grinds my gears sometimes.
It's a 20 year old dialog, it's mostly only there so people can target OS's like XP. They don't even recommend it still be used (unless you have to) so not sure why they are grinding your gears.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-15-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #27
Lawrence

Interesting read.

To Karbo's correct point, 3 platforms and multiple OS versions does add an unknown level of complexity to it all. Having said that, coding a custom file browser in Windows is a pretty easy thing to do, if one were inclined to not use that control. Would take all of 15-20 minutes in C#, very likely a tiny bit longer in C++. Adding the same in Mac and Linux is out of my wheelhouse.

A textbox, a dropdown list / combo, a list box, a couple of buttons. It would still be using Windows common controls, just not that folder browser dialog.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Would take all of 15-20 minutes in C#, very likely a tiny bit longer in C++. Adding the same in Mac and Linux is out of my wheelhouse.
Just a note, yes, it has to be something like C++ because it is cross-platform. Truly writing one properly would be more than a few minutes though. There is a reason (actually several) why the built in ones are desirable but can hit corner cases like supporting multiple platforms and legacy versions.

There could certainly be some easy magic here I'm oblivious too, I don't know C++ dialogs that well other than I hate them.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #29
Lawrence

Yeah. That's the irony, that those OS dialogs are nothing but pointers to files and folders (ultimately). It makes perfect sense to use the folder browser dialog to search for missing files, but you could do the exact same thing with a File Open dialog, which already has a text box on it.

Just use the folder path it returns, not the literal file name, or get the path from the long file name.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah. That's the irony, that those OS dialogs are nothing but pointers to files and folders (ultimately). It makes perfect sense to use the folder browser dialog to search for missing files, but you could do the exact same thing with a File Open dialog, which already has a text box on it.

Just use the folder path it returns, not the literal file name, or get the path from the long file name.
Maybe open up VS and create a C++ project to get a feel for the simplicity of a full featured one (that remains cross-platform). Full featured as by whatever options are being asked in the thread in general + any other obvious stuff that goes along with a proper user experience.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-15-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #31
Lawrence

C++ adds another level of complexity to eveyrthing, especially for the casual coder dummies like me.

Looking at that dialog in the image, that's not C++ (I mean, it obviously is underneath, or C, because it's part of the OS) but it's not something they (Cockos) coded in C++, they just tell the OS to create a new folder browser dialog and show it. It's a built in OS component. Unless I'm mistaken, that's all you have to do is call it, from any language, and it returns a folder path when you close it.

Now what the C++ code line looks like to call that OS dialog, no clue... but it can't be more than a few lines of code... can it?

I might be wrong, maybe it is more complex than that in C++. But for sure, creating a custom one might take some minutes or an hour to just get it working, navigating and listing folders, and a few more minutes to bullet proof.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-15-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #32
karbomusic

Quote:
C++ adds another level of complexity to eveyrthing, especially for the casual coder dummies like me.

Looking at that dialog in the image, that's not C++ (I mean, it obviously is underneath, or C, because it's part of the OS) but it's not something they coded, they just tell the OS to create a new folder browser dialog and show it. It's abuilt in OS component. Unless I'm mistaken, that's all you have to do it is to call it, from any language, and it returns a folder path when you close it.

Now what the C++ code line looks like to call that OS dialog, no clue... but it can't be more than a few lines of code... can it?
I probably misunderstood you then as I was still blabbing about the ground up version. The current one isn't from C++, you are correct, it's as far as I know calling SHBrowseForFolder; you can API call it from VB for that matter just like C++ can (I think it lives in shell32.dll). Your idea is sound but of the ones I've used, there are usually just enough differences between the file and folder options and abilities that there is that 'one thing' the other doesn't do when trying to substitute them. That doesn't mean it's not possible here though but the chance exists (or not).

I think SHBrowseForFolder has a search ability btw but forget the details. If you look it up, it should be a possible parameter. All this depends on if that is the one cockos is calling but it looks a lot like it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-15-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #33
Lawrence

Oh yeah, we were talking both things at the same time, true. Sorry.

I guess how fast one could write a folder browser dialog window in C++ from scatch, and add a text box to it, would largely depend on the person's skill. And as you correctly noted, given that Reaper works on every Windows OS ever made, it has to be compatible with XP, Win 98, etc, and all that so yeah, you can't just call your custom components from the .net classes to assemble one from scratch.

If otoh it only supported Win 7-10 you could probably get away with that.

/nerd diversion
Old 06-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #34
Argitoth

Last edited by Argitoth; 06-15-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #35
karbomusic

Interesting, I wonder why kontakt omits XP though? I assume it might be possible but also wonder if could be for some other reason. I mean the above looks like it could, maybe that is the search parameter I was talking about?

Quote:
KONTACT SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Mac OS X 10.10, 10.11 or macOS 10.12 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo

Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 (latest Service Pack, 32/64-bit) Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
Old 06-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #36
Argitoth

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/...ents-kontakt-4
Quote:
System Requirements
Kontakt 4 works stand-alone, or as a VST, Audio Units or RTAS (Pro Tools 7 or higher) plug-in.
Windows requirements: Windows XP SP2, Vista (32/64-bit) or Windows 7, Pentium or Athlon 1.4GHz processor, 1GB RAM.
Mac requirements: Mac OS 10.5, Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz processor, 1GB RAM.
The above article is dated February 2010, so K4 is around that old.

It did not omit XP.

Last edited by Argitoth; 06-15-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 AM   #37
Lawrence

Is that text field editable, like you can type in C:\ and the folder view will navigate to and select C:\, or is it just feedback for the currently selected folder?
Old 06-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #38
Sound asleep

Windows has been shitty that way even back in the XP days. There have been multiple dialogs like that for a while now. There is software that uses multiple versions of those dialogs for different things. Compatibility might be a consideration, but if it was the main one, I think this would be a frequent issue that sometimes has a glorious dialog, instead of a lot of the time the good dialog, and sometimes the shitty one that makes me want to go and kill someone. Preferably someone at microsoft.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #39
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Compatibility might be a consideration, but if it was the main one,
It's the only one where legacy components are involved, Microsoft has no control over what legacy components an end-developer chooses to use (IF it is a backwards compat or cross-platform problem) - they would LOVE it if people only used the "new and improved" features of later OSs, that's why they wrote them.

Based on the OPs last posts, I think this is as possibly Reaper dev issue, minus writing my own code to prove which it is. I should, it would remove all this wild speculation and pontification that is occurring.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-16-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #40
serr

Well, I don't have any Microsoft software anywhere on my machines. Certainly not Windows. I don't think this one can be blamed on the OS.

Understandable that Reaper shouldn't just assume and go wild making file substitutions on an assumption. But at least have it pop a window up and be already pointed to the obvious choice and only make me click OK.

I would expect to have to go folder diving if the location was anything but the project folder of course. Not asking for anything beyond that.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote