Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #1
Scottsdale
Human being with feelings

Default Accessibility request: text lables for fade-in/fade-out/crossfade shapes

Hi,

Any chance that text labels for each fade-in, fade-out, and crossfade curve could be added in a future version? In particular, I'm thinking of the popup menus in Item Properties, and when setting default curves in Preferences -> Media Item Defaults.

Currently, screen reader users don't get any feedback in these popup menus, and - because the menus wrap - the ux involves a lot of trial and error.

Thanks in advance. Shout if there's any details I can provide that might help.

Scott
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
Scottsdale

Bumping this up because I'm still receiving regular feedback about the current UX from screen reader users.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
mattymc2

Yep me too. This is a pain every time I have to use it which is kinda often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
Bumping this up because I'm still receiving regular feedback about the current UX from screen reader users.
mattymc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
mschnell

Wong Forum -> Feature requests would be more appropriate

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:31 AM   #5
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Wong Forum -> Feature requests would be more appropriate
This isn't a feature request. It's essentially a bug report of an unintentionally bad UX.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
mschnell

Did you read -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 ?

-Michael
Old 10-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Scottsdale

Quote:
I did, yep.

- The title is meaningful.
- The info that Justin would need to reproduce this is present.
- Platform/version/hardware is irrelevant because the UX is identical across the board.
- A step by step recipe to reproduce wasn't included originally because Justin won't need it, but seeing as you asked, I'll demonstrate.

* Steps how to reproduce:
1. Go blind.
2. Relearn how to use a computer with screen reader software.
3. Install any version of Reaper on any supported platform, then go to Item Properties and pop open the menu to choose a fade shape.

* Description of what I'd expect to happen and what happens instead:
- I'd expect the button that pops open the menu to be labeled. Currently, it isn't. A text label for such buttons would solve this.
- I'd expect to be able to differentiate between menu items. Currently this isn't possible. Text labels for each shape would solve this.

So you see, in this case a recipe didn't add anything, it just took longer to read.

Is this helping anything get fixed for anyone? I suspect not...
Old 10-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #8
mschnell

In fact I am not aware of "screen reader" implications.

Of course it's absolutely viable to do software in a way that blind users are support as good as possible. But calling such omission of certainly not trivial implementaion details a bug is not strictly obvious.

-Michael
Old 10-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Scottsdale

Quote:
calling such omission of certainly not trivial implementaion details a bug is not strictly obvious.
From the "How to post a bug" sticky thread:
"*What is a REAPER bug anyway?

+ Native Reaper functions misbehaving"

I dunno what to tell you man. A decent amount of issues have been fixed as a direct result of previous posts here. Justin has never shown any concern over the reporting nor the forum choice. FWIW, if that were to change, I'd adapt accordingly, but until then, you'll find me loitering around these parts with a small but potent baggy of native Reaper functions that appear to be misbehaving.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
From the "How to post a bug" sticky thread:
"*What is a REAPER bug anyway?

+ Native Reaper functions misbehaving"

I dunno what to tell you man. A decent amount of issues have been fixed as a direct result of previous posts here. Justin has never shown any concern over the reporting nor the forum choice. FWIW, if that were to change, I'd adapt accordingly, but until then, you'll find me loitering around these parts with a small but potent baggy of native Reaper functions that appear to be misbehaving.

Still, it is a request for additional features in regards of something already existing. There are a lot of features in Reaper that miss some stuff, sometimes because it was missing in the first place, or isn't implemented yet or sometimes because it wasn't asked for. But you can't call them all bugs, if in reality, they're not there to be bugs in the first place.

A bug would be, if the already implemented stuff isn't working(or crashing Reaper). But if it's missing things, these missing things are requests for more features, aka Feature Request(which also includes parts for already existing features).

And tbh, I would love to see this in the Feature-Request-forum, as accessibility is a real important thing and I think, more people would contribute more ideas to your request, if they would see it for what it is: in the Feature-Request-Forum.
This is also, to my experience, the best place for discussion of how to do stuff, collecting more ideas where Reaper lacks accessibility.
And many people involve themselves in such discussions, helping the devs see all aspects of a feature asked, which is the great potential in the Feature-Request-forum.
In this Bugreports-thread, you are the only one to discuss it, unfortunately.

Asking at a bakery for an electric drill might work, but usually doesn't. Even if Justin is frequenting this bakery

On vacation for the time being...

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 10-24-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:41 AM   #11
ivansc

Hate to say it, Scott but they are right, I am pretty sure you will get a quicker response posting this as a FR, especially if you make the reason for your needing it completely unabiguous.

I have a blind friend who uses reaper & he has already commented on a couple of similar issues that would never have occurred to me as a sighted person. Suspect you have similar issues.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:00 AM   #12
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
There are a lot of features in Reaper that miss some stuff, sometimes because it was missing in the first place, or isn't implemented yet or sometimes because it wasn't asked for. But you can't call them all bugs, if in reality, they're not there to be bugs in the first place.
I'm not calling them all bugs, but I'm convinced that this one counts as a bug, because it leads to a UX that clearly isn't what Cockos had in mind when they came up with the design.

Quote:
A bug would be if the already implemented stuff isn't working
Like if a menu popped up and every icon was blank, for example?

Quote:
I would love to see this in the Feature-Request-forum, as accessibility is a real important thing and I think, more people would contribute more ideas to your request, if they would see it for what it is: in the Feature-Request-Forum.
This is also, to my experience, the best place for discussion of how to do stuff, collecting more ideas where Reaper lacks accessibility.
And many people involve themselves in such discussions, helping the devs see all aspects of a feature asked, which is the great potential in the Feature-Request-forum.
If the solution wasn't a simple one, or if some debate/discussion was likely to lead to a better implementation then I'd agree. I've posted a few things like that as FRs. This isn't that, though. This is just icons requiring accompanying text values, and history suggests that Justin already does a great job of nailing these types of requests in batches without input, so - for oversights with obvious solutions like this one - why complicate the process?

Quote:
In this Bugreports-thread, you are the only one to discuss it, unfortunately.
That was the intent, yeah. When I posted it, I wasn't convinced that an oversight with a simple solution required discussion. I'm still not, tbh. Sorry to seem so bullish about it. FWIW, I appreciated your post man.

Quote:
Asking at a bakery for an electric drill might work, but usually doesn't. Even if Justin is frequenting this bakery
I don't suppose you'd happen to know which bakery Justin shops at? Maybe I can bribe my way in. Everyone loves free cake, right?
Old 10-25-2018, 04:05 AM   #13
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hate to say it, Scott but they are right, I am pretty sure you will get a quicker response posting this as a FR, especially if you make the reason for your needing it completely unabiguous.
I'll try the next few things as FRs. Time will tell.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
azslow3

@Michael:
Have you tried to use this forum or REAPER with a screen reader?

@All: as Scott has gently explained, when you open some menu in REAPER and it is completely blank (no text, no picture, but you still can select items), will you call proposal to fix that "a future request" or a "bug report"?

@Scott: Sibiac 0.16 should audition currently selected fade in/out curve types in the item property dialog, I will check tomorrow what can be done for the context menu.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #15
blindwiz

Quote:
Hi,

Any chance that text labels for each fade-in, fade-out, and crossfade curve could be added in a future version? In particular, I'm thinking of the popup menus in Item Properties, and when setting default curves in Preferences -> Media Item Defaults.

Currently, screen reader users don't get any feedback in these popup menus, and - because the menus wrap - the ux involves a lot of trial and error.

Thanks in advance. Shout if there's any details I can provide that might help.

Scott
This corner of reaper got hot real quick.

I guess we should stick to making these FRs in the future. I like checking that forum out anyways, a lot of neat ideas by others.
blindwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #16
mschnell

Of course such accessibility is a very viable feature Reaper should feature as perfect as possible, and I assume it will be supported by close to all forum members.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-26-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:23 AM   #17
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
@Scott: Sibiac 0.16 should audition currently selected fade in/out curve types in the item property dialog, I will check tomorrow what can be done for the context menu.
Thanks dude, appreciate you taking a run at this. I'm away from home for a few days, but will test the Sibiac addition as soon as I get back.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:28 AM   #18
Scottsdale

Quote:
I assume it will be supported by close to all forum members.
I understand that assumption. In principal, yes. In practice, not so much. For some reason a principal - however strong - doesn't necessarily translate into actual votes.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:33 AM   #19
ivansc

Maybe if the FR emphasisises the WHY aspect of this it really will encourage people to vote.
I have a number of impediments that affect my ability to make music, sadly none of which can be helped by changing something in Reaper, but I will be 100% behind anything that is suggested that would help others with similar problems....

Anyone up for writing a FR? I am pretty sure the devs would get on it quickly if it is easily do-able.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #20
Scottsdale

Quote:
Maybe if the FR emphasisises the WHY aspect of this it really will encourage people to vote.
Saddle up partner, we're heading off road and this next part might be bumpy! Past experience tells me that there's some truth to what you're saying, yep. However, past experience also suggests that "do the right thing for these blind folks" is a card that can only be played so many times before people on mass start to become desensitized to the principal. To give you an example, if Reaper 6 were to introduce a game-changing feature that was entirely inaccessible, I'd lean on the WHY aspect while discussion of that new feature was in full flow to raise awareness that the blinkies have accidentally been shut out of the party. But - here's the thing - when it comes to advocating for accessibility among a small number of people, timing is everything. If I've already been leaning heavily on the WHY aspect in the months running up to that new feature, the word blind will have significantly less impact. When you play the WHY card too often, the reaction moves from "damn, we didn't know the blinkies were shut out of the party, that isn't ok", and it becomes more like "urgh, guys, it's starting to rain, someone should probably pop outside to round up the blinkies. Any volunteers?" I appreciate that this point of view will likely seem dreadfully jaded to anyone who's new to accessibility, but it's not just the pontificating of a cynical old sod, I've got 15 years of tugging accessibility forward across 3 DAWs and a ton of non-musical contexts under my belt to back it up. Of those DAWs, Reaper is unquestionably my favourite, and both the users and Cockos themselves have been wonderfully receptive, but I don't buy that the world works differently here to how it works everywhere else.

Quote:
I have a number of impediments that affect my ability to make music, sadly none of which can be helped by changing something in Reaper, but I will be 100% behind anything that is suggested that would help others with similar problems....
Good to know, thanks man.

Quote:
Anyone up for writing a FR? I am pretty sure the devs would get on it quickly if it is easily do-able.
I'm open to experimenting with FRs when it comes to bigger issues that will require more work from Cockos. For me though, this is still just a simple bug with a simple solution. Again, sorry to be so immovable. Hopefully the responses above go some way to explain why I'm at where I'm at with it.

BTW, it's probably worth pointing out that I'd love to be proved wrong about all of this.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:55 AM   #21
mschnell

Quote:
For some reason a principal - however strong - doesn't necessarily translate into actual votes.
That is why, generally, negative votes to any subject should not be considered as a violation of the rights of the requester, but do express a viable statement. Non-voters just are not to be counted.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-26-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #22
azslow3

Quote:
Thanks dude, appreciate you taking a run at this. I'm away from home for a few days, but will test the Sibiac addition as soon as I get back.
And by that time I will upload 0.17 which at least on my computer already audition current selection and menus (for items and in preferences). You would probably suggest better names for shapes, I have called them "Fast 1", "Fast 2", "Smooth 1", etc.

Note that this part, while using "sibiac technology", is not using Sibiac overlays. So the result is NVDA native.

@other. The situation with accessibility in modern software is much worse then you can imagine. I was shocked when I have understood that.

Together with general closeness of related community (as with any community which is forced by something) and the fact that mostly used Screen Reader cost more then ProTools (even for sighted developers which may want check compatibility), I do no think that is going to improve.

May be concrete persons (in this case John or Justin) spend a bit of time to fix some problems. That I hope can and will happened.

If someone want to understand the problematic: start using REAPER (or other software) without mouse, as the next step imagine all icons are black. To really dive, install NVDA (it is free) and turn off the monitor.
And please do not judge what is "a bug" and what is "an FR" before really doing this. Are you jumping into REAPER on Mac/Linux bugs reports, immediately claiming "that is not a bug" just because you do not use Mac/Linux? I guess not.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:54 AM   #23
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
And by that time I will upload 0.17 which at least on my computer already audition current selection and menus (for items and in preferences). You would probably suggest better names for shapes, I have called them "Fast 1", "Fast 2", "Smooth 1", etc.
I'm back. Hit me with 0.17 whenever you're ready and I'll start collecting feedback about names for the shapes.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #24
azslow3

It is at http://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=372.0
Sorry, I do not have permanent link to the file and so direct link will be outdated fast.

As a "bonus", this version has GTune chromatic tuner support.

Also check your other thread, I have uploaded my first OSARA mod.