Old 07-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
eclef
Human being with feelings

Default Display MIDI note numerical value, on hover/click

Apologies in advance if this isn't big/important enough to be a feature request, or if I've missed an obvious solution.

In Piano Roll/MIDI edit view, it would be useful to be able to see the numeric value of velocity (or I suppose any variable being edited) when hovering over, or long pressing, a drawn note.

I often find myself wanting to quickly know the exact value of a note's velocity, for example to match it with a different note, or for other general reasons.

Even clicking on the note, as if I'm about to adjust the velocity, will not display the value.
I have to actually start adjusting the volume, before the moving value is displayed.
But even then, it hasn't show the original value before adjusting, just the new/moving one. So then I end up taking a guess at what the exact original value was.
And once I've done that, if I want it back where it was, I need to move it back to the *approximate* numerical value, or click "undo".

As I've found myself doing this over and over again, I figured it's worth bringing up as a workflow issue.
Also I know that "using your ears" is a thing, but as I say, sometimes I also want to know the exact value.

Cheers!
eclef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
nofish

For now maybe helpful alternatives:

You know that you can have velocity value displayed on the notes?
MIDI editor menu -> View -> Piano roll notes -> Show velocity numbers on notes

juliansader's note inspector script:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....8&#post1720568
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:47 AM   #3
eclef

Thanks very much for that.

I installed the extension although it was a little overkill.
But as you suggested, I did change the settings so that the velocity is always shown on the notes.
This has basically fixed the problem.

I know nothing of coding/software development, but if it happens to be a quick and easy fix, I still think it would be nice if the velocity was displayed when clicking/long clicking on the velocity 'handles', without having to adjust them. It seems a bit odd to me that you have to start moving the handles until the velocity is displayed. This way I wouldn't have to have the values permanently displayed on the notes, and everything would seem neater and less cluttered.

Either way you've basically helped solve my specific problem, so thank you!
eclef is offline   Reply With Quote